/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Guelphs and Ghibellines Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/6zhcv9i8cgea8w8/Osprey - MAA 310 - German Medieval Armies 1000-1300.pdf
mediafire.com/file/9jdnazzrv3iwnv0/Osprey - MAA 376 - Italian Medieval Armies 1000-1300.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mega.nz/#!3o0FSTSS!UDzhCn5P-AJ2ThTZuqEK7XWMVRXaMxCcF7GCztN0bZg
amazon.com/Airfix-76-BattleFront-Gift-Set/dp/B003MANNY0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1488084235&sr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

26th February in military history:

1233 – Mongol–Jin War: The Mongols capture Kaifeng, the capital of the Jin dynasty, after besieging it for months.
1266 – Battle of Benevento: An army led by Charles, Count of Anjou, defeats a combined German and Sicilian force led by Manfred, King of Sicily. Manfred is killed in the battle and Pope Clement IV invests Charles as king of Sicily and Naples.
1815 – Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from Elba.
1935 – Adolf Hitler orders the Luftwaffe to be re-formed, violating the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles.
1935 – Robert Watson-Watt carries out a demonstration near Daventry which leads directly to the development of radar in the United Kingdom.
1936 – In the February 26 Incident, young Japanese military officers attempt to stage a coup against the government.
1987 – Iran–Contra affair: The Tower Commission rebukes President Ronald Reagan for not controlling his national security staff.
1992 – Nagorno-Karabakh War: Khojaly Massacre: Armenian armed forces open fire on Azeri civilians at a military post outside the town of Khojaly leaving hundreds dead.

It is 751 years since the Battle of Benevento was fought near Benevento, in present-day Southern Italy. It was waged between the troops of Charles of Anjou and Manfred of Sicily. Manfred's defeat and death resulted in the capture of the Kingdom of Sicily by Charles, effectively ending the rule of the Hohenstaufen in the Italian Peninsula. The Papacy had long been in conflict with the Imperial house of Hohenstaufen over their rule in Italy. At the time of the battle, the Hohenstaufen ruler in the Kingdom of Sicily (which included Sicily and southern Italy) was Manfred, illegitimate son of Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor. While the rightful heir to the kingdom was Frederick's legitimate grandson Conradin, he was young and safely across the Alps in Bavaria. Taking advantage of a false rumor of Conradin's death, Manfred had usurped the throne in 1258. Pope Urban IV determined to wrench the Kingdom from him, and in 1263, concluded a secret treaty with Charles of Anjou, giving him the Sicilian throne.

Charles reached Rome in 1265, but was temporarily halted by financial embarrassments. Manfred, however, did not take the field against him until January 1266, when Charles' main army had crossed the Alps. Alarmed by desertions among his followers and fearing further treachery, Manfred sought to bring Charles to battle as swiftly as possible. Charles attempted to turn Manfred's position at Capua by a perilous crossing of the Apennines which wrecked his supply line; but Manfred had intelligence of his move and lay in a strong position across the River Calore, crossed only by one bridge.

Charles had divided his cavalry into three "battles". The infantry and the first battle, consisting of 900 Provençals were at the front, commanded by Hugh of Mirepoix, Marshal of France, and Philip of Montfort, Lord of Castres. Behind them were the second battle, which consisted of 400 Italians and 1,000 men of Languedoc and central France. Charles would command the second battle in person. Behind them, the third battle consisted of about 700 men from the county of Flanders under Gilles II de Trasignies, Constable of France, and Robert III of Flanders.

Manfred had adopted similar dispositions. His Saracen archers were in the fore. Behind them was the first battle, 1,200 German mercenaries armed in coats of plate (a novelty at the time), commanded by his cousin Giordano d'Anglano and Galvano of Anglona. The second battle consisted of the Italian mercenaries, about 1,000, and 300 Saracen light horse, commanded by his uncle Galvano Lancia. The third battle, numbering 1,400, were the feudatories of the Kingdom, under Manfred's personal command.

The battle began in the morning, when Manfred advanced his Saracens (archers and a few light cavalry) across the bridge to skirmish. They drove off Charles' infantry, but were put to flight by his Provençal cavalry. Rashly, Manfred's first battle crossed the bridge and counter-charged. At first, the German mercenaries seemed unstoppable; all blows rebounded from their armor plates, and Charles was forced to commit his second battle. The Germans continued to advance, but then the French discovered that the new plate armor did not protect the armpits when the arm was lifted to strike. The Germans were swiftly broken.

The tide of battle now rapidly turned against Manfred. His troops were forced to defile across the single bridge over the Calore to reach the field. By the time his second battle had crossed the bridge, Charles had ordered his third battle to charge them on both flanks and they were swiftly destroyed. Upon the defeat of the Italians, most of the nobles in Manfred's third battle deserted him, leaving only the king and a few faithful followers. After exchanging the royal surcoat with his friend Tebaldo Annibaldi, Manfred and his followers charged into the fray and were slain. The narrow bridge acted as a bottleneck, causing many to be killed or captured. Only 600 of the 3,600 horsemen escaped.

The destruction of Manfred's army marked the collapse of Hohenstaufen rule in Italy. The remainder of the Kingdom of Sicily was conquered almost without resistance. Settled in his new kingdom, Charles could await the coming of Conradin, the last hope of the Hohenstaufen, in 1268, and meet him at the Battle of Tagliacozzo.

This is a pretty classic medieval battle definitely worth bringing to the tabletop. The role of the bridge is hugely important and the player who exploits it the best will probably win the day.

mediafire.com/file/6zhcv9i8cgea8w8/Osprey - MAA 310 - German Medieval Armies 1000-1300.pdf
mediafire.com/file/9jdnazzrv3iwnv0/Osprey - MAA 376 - Italian Medieval Armies 1000-1300.pdf

Any thoughts on the next community project? An interesting suggestion in the last thread was something involving animals. Please post any nice minis you've produced from the last one!

Just wanted to post some pikes.

Not much else going on yet anyway.

I've got some provincials, their canoes and plenty of civilians in my 'to paint' list.

Then it should be on to scenery...

Great. Now I want to paint pike blocks. And I don't even have any game to use them for. Nor any models for it, really, or a FLGS to get models for it from...

Welcome to my world.

Though if you have no local store (like most of us I'd bet) then just order online. Same for games.

I do order online. It's just that there's a delivery delay, so I can't go out right now, buy some pikemen, glue them together and start painting in a few hours.

Build the scenery Uncle, you fuck!

Ah, well you should have prepared for the urge ahead of time then.

I think I've got a handful of unpainted pikemen sitting in an unfinished/not even started projects box... gotta keep that lead pile going after all.

Naah. I save money this way.

>Save money

Why do that when you can have glorious inanimate soldiers willing to not obey your every order?

Because I already have a moderate shit-ton of stuff to paint, and three times that (at least) to put together?

I organized my collection today. Put stuff I want to work on into sorted boxes and threw all the old things and projects that didn't materialise into a big box.

If I don't buy anything I will probably finish these things in 2-3 years...

Any of you guys pick up Blood and Plunder? I got my stuff in yesterday and am really excited to play it

Oh yes. Estimated delivery wednesday next week... I might just be "sick" on thursday.

What scenery do we need, Jackie? I could paint buildings or start fucking about with trees.

Doing themed scenery or objective markers might be a cool project this month.

Should also be applicable to pretty much any scale and era.

Trees, Rocky Bits. DO your Mdf buildings need painting? My 4ground stuff didn't.

>mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
in the medieval one, the osprey on hastigs has been taken down. Copyright claim

Depends how pretty you want them to be, could be passable without.

Trees is more challenging. We could crowd source a scenario to /hwg/. We're looking at Indians and Brits vs. French in the 7YW. Block house and some buildings as scenery so far.

I've got some trees and I'm going to make some rocky hills. I've got a river as well.

I did, got my stuff a few weeks back. Waiting for nicer weather to prime, but I've cleaned and straightened everything out.

haven't been painting for a few weeks.. that needed to be changed. Pic related is what i did this weekend so far.

Warlord "Volksgrenadiers" and the old (and really not that great, in comparison) "Veteran Grenadiers".
The heads on the veterans were so bad, i had to replace them with plastic heads.

Since i mixed the camo, spring or autumn basing? What do you think would look nicer?

I think brown with some sparse traces of green brush would help highlight both shades nicely.

Funny how it's always the oldest stuff that goes down. Don't forget to check out the Mega link at the bottom of the OP, it works as a nice backup.
mega.nz/#!3o0FSTSS!UDzhCn5P-AJ2ThTZuqEK7XWMVRXaMxCcF7GCztN0bZg

Take an inventory so if your house burns down etc you can claim your lost minis on insurance. Your collection is probably worth several hundred to thousands of dollars.

How would you set up a scenario where one side is supposed to recon an area?

Just need to visit a number of points on the board or what?

The recon unit has to make it to the enemy deployment zone, and then either survive the game, or make it back to the friendly deployment zone.

Recon is mostly important games where you dont really know where the enemy is, or what kind of forces they have. Anything double blind or with blinds on the table. If you can see the entire enemy force, recon becomes pretty useless and to implement it in a scenario you end up making a unit go for a forced mission to enemy territory or visit some points on the table.

I remember playing Men of War, recon was primarily done with an officer's binoculars... he could see into the fog of war, and work out what was going on, without endangering any units by sending them out to scout

Either that or maybe get to the other side of the board.

Or tokens that disappear as the unit moves into 3" if them like checkpoints. Although I would give the recon player some additional limitations as well as the opponent.

Chain of Command's pre-game patrol phase works a bit like this.

Depends on the system, time period and scoring system.

You could have patrolling to certain points, force assessment with spotting checks, dynamic/rolled change of objective once you complete the recon.

I've run a Force on Force scenario to recon a village and had the objective to patrol to X point and speak with Y. OPFOR rolls a D6 in secret and generates the intel/objective for BLUFOR which is then revealed. OPFOR also controls civilians in this scenario and rolls dice to determine movement range and do some spotting. Only a certain proportion of these civilians are actual informants though and part of BLUFORs job is to try and differentiate which civilians are informants to prevent OPFOR from activating his fire teams prematurely. BLUFOR also gets a score bonus for successfully identifying informants.

There's some more stuff, but that's the gist of it.

That sounds awesome. Works pretty well without needing a 3rd party referee?

I have one buddy I play with primarily, and while we're competitive, FoF is more about the experience than other games we play. We treat it more akin to a tabletop version of ArmA.

My bases are on washers, so we put a small amount of poster tac to mark the informants. The rest of it is primarily handled by FoFs inbuilt systems. The nice thing about FoF is that a lot of the skill checks can be easily adapted for a variety of uses.

Cool, that's my attitude towards games.

What's a good miniature provider for WW2 era armies? I'm looking for 28mm I'm going to use for bolt action. Price is a pretty big factor for me.

Finished cleaning mine today, one had a horrible casting issue, 30+ mins with a pin vice, and file to make it look even remotely decent. Huge clump of pewter under an arm had to be drilled out and filed and scraped to make it look like he didnt have one solid lump for a right arm.

Can anyone share any siege battle stories? Or does anyone have any pics of wargame sieges? I'd like to see some more!

28mm is expensive regardless of manufacturer.

If you can get away with it, play it at 1/72 / 20mm scale. Only problem is everyone else plays at 28mm so your army will look a bit odd if your opponents aren't playing 1/72 also.
If you can convince your buddies to play at 1/72, everyone will save money:
$16 US will give you 48 infantry per side - 96 in total - enough for even the largest games.
Tanks are about $9 US each

Or you could buy something like the Airfix BattleFront Gift set:
amazon.com/Airfix-76-BattleFront-Gift-Set/dp/B003MANNY0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1488084235&sr

1 Tiger, 1 Sherman, some infantry for each side. maximum cheap-ness

Cruds, I've not played a siege game since Warhammer 5th edition was still a thing. They're really uncommon, and I don't think it's the terrain requirements either. Basically unless the game involves a significant amount of preparation before actually getting to battle, all you really get is an attack/defence scenario with a very limited frontage of engagement for the attackers, and probably some really unrealistic stuff like breaching walls due to attacks made during the battle itself.

1/72 is hard to paint

Its no harder to paint than 28mm. Could be considered easier becuase there's less details and you can get away with basecoat - oil - highlight

Bullshit.

What nation do you want to play?

The cheapest 28mm plastics available are the russians in summer uniform by PSC (plastic soldier company).

People get away with that at 28mm too all the time.

>Airfix

Didn't they release a wargame a while ago? Has anybody played it?

Anybody has any idea about the missing Osprey Campaign Books?

Which ones are you looking for? There's about 300 titles in that series. I only add the more recent and relevant ones to the folders to save space. Any missing from the Mediafires should be in the Mega folder at the bottom of the OP. Also a few of the more recent ones haven't appeared as PDFs yet.

Built some Japanese fortifications or an upcoming Burma campaign.

The blockhouse is getting there. I still need to make a ladder for the palisade.

I am still tempted to redo the roof when I have some more materials, just to at least make on that at least fits. It's a lot sloppier than my temple but it was made a lot faster and for far cheaper so I can't really complain.

I've got some spare ones from 4Ground somewhere. Want me to pop one in the post?

Nah it's ok. I just need to not be lazy and do it properly.

Give it to me instead

I've never seen you naked.

Would love to know what colors were used for the autumn pattern

All were Vallejo Model Color from a wargaming set for waffen ss. It also has the greens necessary for the spring version and 2 more colors for pea dot.

Base color (the light brown): 70.825 German C(amo) Pale Brown

Dark brown dots: 70.822 German Camo Black Brown

Orange dots: 70.824 German Camo Orange Ochre

After applying the base brown i gave the parts i painted a thinned down brown wash (i used Agrax Earthshade). Then i re-applied the pale brown to the raised areas, then with a toothpick the dark brown and the orange dots.

Hey /hwg/,
Do any of you lads have experience with Warlord's made to order items?
Can anybody tell me how long it usually takes them to get around to fill an order?

it really depends.. got some stuff within a week and also had to wait for 3 weeks once.

Anything I've ordered from it has been shipped within a 'normal' time, as in a day or two.

Thanks. Been waiting for a week already, I'm just impatient, cause I already have everything else I need to get started on my next project.

What did you order?

Nothing /hwg/ related, but I figured I'd be most likely to get an answer here.
Some Gates of Antares stuff

and one objective marker done.

Pretty cool! Only tiny bit of critique I have is that those bullet holes in the right wing look kinda strange. It looks like the wing was shot directly from the top.

Awesome. 1/48 scale?

Exit holes from ground-fired flak.

Ah! That explains it then. Sorry, should've thought about that possibility.

>Exit holes from ground-fired flak.
yep this.

>tfw exchange rate and shipping

I just want to have play some Indochina games, living in Canada is rough.

Do you want to

Age of Glory sell the Empress French indo China in the US if that helps.

Sadly they're even more expensive from the USA.
Importing anything here is weird.

>tfw being cucknadian is suffering

Last time, I suggested animals, prototypes/one-offs, or obsolete/too old for this shit. Another user suggested some kind of themed terrain piece which also sounded pretty good.

Pic related was my submission from the literature/movie challenge- USS Walker and Mahan and IJN Amagi from the Destroyermen series, pre-Squall.

This was NEA's insanely awesome submission.

There was an user with some Last of the Mohican's stuff that I don't have a pic saved of, and I thought one or two others.

This is still awesome no matter how many times it's reposted.

I'm debating between my next period being Chinese Civil War, Spanish Civil war or going all-in on the expensive Indochina stuff.

What about back-of-beyond stuff like Khalkhin Gol or the RCW in Asia? Lots of room for wacky colourful stuff.

I'm doing Canadians in Afghanistan, I managed to grab pretty much everything I wanted model wise from Elhiem prior to the price increase which is good. Sourcing vehicles is a fucking pain though.

I have a small force of modern French as well, and finding a fucking VBL for them involves dealing with Azimut.

Perry are doing stuff to my dick again.

Holy shit. I missed that the first time around. That's amazing. I didn't think americans cared that much about anything related to history. Especially because everybody around here who matters is a Brit or up here in Canada.

Your country is still a tire fire, NEA, and we'd be better off without its existence, but you've at least redeemed a tiny part of it.

nice b8 m8.