What's the Point of Constructed?

Can someone explain the appeal of standard/modern/legacy/vintage to me?

>Highly constrictive meta.
>Pay to win
>Generally really short matches
>Most cards are unplayable.
>Matchups are the biggest determiner of who wins, unless you fuck up.
>Highly repetitive matches.

I get EDH, for the multiplayer politicking and weird gimmicks.

And I get all manner of draft. Level playing field, game of luck and skill.

But what's the appeal of 60 card constructed?

Jews of the Coast wanting more money by creating a format with pay-to-win ingrained

I asked why I should want to play it, not why WOTC made it.

Because cards aren't edible. If you could only use them once for limited then throw them away because there's no other use for them, there wouldn't be any value in having them, meaning you then have to justify paying $20 for the "experience" of drafting. And no prizes. Almost no one would do that.

Sealed and Draft are loss leaders. Constructed is where they turn a profit.

>Missing the point of the thread.
It's right in the OP, but again: I'm asking what the appeal is of those formats to *play* (because I don't see any appeal, yet they are more prolific than limited), not what WOTC gets out of it, what WOTC gets out of people collecting lots of cards is obvious.

>multiplayer politicking
People actually like this?

People like risk, and diplomacy, and munchkin, too. Same idea.

>Generally really short matches
The fact you write this shows how ignorant and what kind of shitter you are desu senpai.

Yes. Some people arent total spergs who stock their deck with the most expensive and hate drawing cards trying to play sick spikey meme combos. Compedetive EDH is cancer.

>Bland insults.
Modern is often over by turn 4. Legacy often over in less.

Limited typically takes quite a bit more than 4 turns.

Edh/commander often takes a few hours for a game.

How is any of that incorrect?

Confirmed for never having tried legacy

I play Ad Nauseam Tendrils, it's probably the biggest unfair "fuck you i win and you don't get to play" deck in the format. If your opponent is at all competent, games will go on longer than turn 4 all the time. It's all about trying to figure out when you can try to go for the combo, to say nothing of knowing your deck well enough to ensure it does so without killing you.

Haven't played legacy since like 2005, and never had a good legacy deck. Then I watched a bunch of matches and realized I didn't understand the appeal of the format so I stopped playing it.

But sure. "You don't get to play" decks tend to be the exception to short matches in MTG constructed in general. What's your point? They're the exception.

He doesn't have a point, he's just being pedantic.

You'll also note he couldn't come up with any mention of what makes legacy actually fun to play.

Legacy is fun because you have to make important choices every turn, starting from turn 1. More than that, it's not always clear what the best choice is, and it depends greatly on your knowledge and skill. Brainstorm is one of the hardest cards in the game to use correctly, and the kind of choices it gives you are what make Legacy the best format.

What about this is unique to legacy?

Most Legacy decks have extremely low curves compared to other formats, so it more or less comes down to the fact that you have more cards to play each turn; If you have an opening hand of ponder, delver, gurmag angler, force of will, or something like that, there's a very large number of plays you could make on turn 1.

Gotcha. So, less buildup, more action?

Well, I was playing constructed with friends because it was cheap as fuck but we were not buying intro packs - just grab decklists and buy singles. Right now the planeswalker card makes 50% of pack value and 2 boosters make rest

I'm on the other end of the table here, I don't see any appeal to playing limited

>give shekels to rabbis of the coast
>open fucking garbage
>whoever gets the best bomb rare wins
>long, drawn out, board stall games
>almost no chance for intricate interactions of skillful plays because all new cards are designed to be the most helmet-wearing-retard friendly they can possibly be
>when the night is over you're left with a pile of garbage/kindling that had no other value

I've tried drafting three times, and each time, to me, it was painfully boring. during origins draft I almost considered just conceding the 3rd match and leaving because I was so fucking tired of me and my opponent having 5 creatures in play and just draw-go'ing because we don't want to jeopardize ourselves by attacking and are literally just waiting to draw a bigger bomb. it felt so fucking stupid.

constructed, even if it has flaws and some match ups are decided before you even sit down, has much more depth and opportunity for interesting interaction.

I prefer to draft a cube. Current sets are bland in general.

I've never drafted cube, never had the opportunity, actually.. I suppose that might be more enjoyable if you actually get to use good cards.

Cube lets you avoid the whole "nothing but meat" scenario

Both constructed and limited have their ups and downs.

>Constructed

>Good
Your Dudes: You want to play Camel tribal? You can do that.
Cheaper (longrun): You only have to buy the singles once.

>Bad
Solved Meta: Have fun playing against the same 3 decks over and over.
Pay To Win: Top tier decks cost hundreds of dollars.

>Limited

>Good
Crazy New Things: A limited selection of cards means getting to play with and against interactions that would normally never occur in constructed.
Cheaper(shortterm): Drafting standard is +/- 10$ IIRC.

>Bad
Luck: You pull pure jank? You will have a bad time.
Cost(longrun): Those draft entry fees add up fast.

>constructed
you only end up with cards you want, cards you like, or cards likely to hold their value.

>draft
you get cards that are not worth the cardboard they're printed on the moment you walk away from the table.

Not that guy but it's a good analogy. There is some buildup but it's compressed into very little time conpared to, say, modern where preordained is seen as a broken card.

Also helping the format is the many checks to all-in combo decks that forced most of the bans in modern. If you just yolo with th storm turn 1 you will lose most games because of the ability your opponent has to say "no, fuck off, we are going to play a game" even before their first turn. A daze reprint would probably enable hypergenesis or something similar to come off because it represents an ability to interact even while tapped out.

>Can someone explain the appeal of standard/modern/legacy/vintage to me?
I get to consistently play this guy on turn 3 every game.

Draft is $780 on mostly garbage cards.

>pay to win
So you're a shitter then

Are you retarded? How autistic are you that you might not understand people want to build decks with cards they want to use.

>draft
>$780
If you are good and play at a store with decent prizing you can play draft for free. It costs 15 dollars to draft at my LGS and you get 12 store credit if you go 2-1 and more for 3-0. So all you need to do is open/value draft 3 dollars worth of cards. Drafting 2-1 consistently is not that hard at a typical store