Vampires in all their shapes and forms

There's quite a few settings out there with their own individual takes on vampires, how they came to be, what they're like and so on, but which ones do you consider the most memorable and which ones are your favorites and why?

Also acceptable if this thread just turns into a vampire image dump thread, which is what I originally wanted to do anyway.

I don't know a lot about vampires, but I do like the medieval gothic knight-necromancers of Warhammer Fantasy. Are there more like this?

See:

Those are all Vampire Counts from Warhammer Fantasy. The one you posted is the Red Duke, if I'm not mistaken.

I meant in the sense if there are more settings with vampires like this.

Oh that. Sorry, don't know.

Nosgoth

Different mutant strains.
Largely Bestial.
Pretty cool.

Didn't they go bestial sometime after Raziel got chucked into that vortex thing? Originally, when Kain first raised them from the dead they were human looking. Other than Kain that is.

Oh wait, you're talking about that shitty multiplayer game.

No, I never played the multiplayer game. And yes. They go Bestial after raziel gets executed at the beginning of soul reaver.

They're interesting, after you wake up as the soul reaver, not before.

my favorite would have to be anne rice type, so vampires who are morally conflicted about their new nature of being basically biological parasites.

also the classic vampire war of "lets stay hidden" and "lets dominate the cattle" that shows up most prominently in WOD.
also the sheer notion that blood has some special power in itself just seems cool

not a big fan of the overall themes of leather, gothic, bats and shit tho

>Modern vampires that are a gang of skinhead bikers

LoK vampires best vampires, fight me

Concept art for TW: Warhammer?

>but which ones do you consider the most memorable and which ones are your favorites and why?

Cyborg vampires that don't drink blood per say, but do bite people in the back of the neck in order to suck out their spinal fluids.

They do this to harvest the stem cells in said fluid in order to replace their own decaying cells that slowly degenerate due to the chemical inhibitors that they require for their cybernetic implants.

Did you read about that somewhere or did you just write up yourself, based off of that image?

i dislike when being a vamp means the person is suddenly in on the evil plot or have to be evil
Its the same person; same brain.

I think the mechanic that they only drink a little bit from each person, about the amount you donate when you give blood, and do some sort of "lick = heal the bite wound" mechanic. Just 1 vamp in even a large city would have a noticable impact with dead people otherwise

So basically theyre just normal people and would of course hide their nature out of fear of people fearing them.
There is one thing which the anne rice vamps do periodically i like and its the concept that as some feed on people and may withdraw from them a bit, they may devalue humans and human life over time; especially if they have any significant powers with little weaknesses and begin to view themselves as above humans/human-life. That kinda mentality works good if it hits the person in waves over the years where they believe that for a while, maybe like a decade or two, then readjust and integrate back into normal society.

same with werewolves instantly needing to tear people apart. Wolf attacks arent even a thing. If its the same person its just a medical condition that changes physical appearance. Feed em their usual steak dinner and cuddle up on the couch watching a movie. Maybe have some freaky sex.

Vampire: The Masquerade vampires are my favorite.

True Blood vampires aren't bad if I'm feeling something a little more vanilla.

There's a similar thing in the sci-fi series 'Fringe'

I just put the spinal fluid sucking + chemical-induced degeneration as an justification why a cyborg would have a need for the pic related.

What are your thoughts on Requiem?

I like vampires that are more like apex predators over humans instead of an excuse to angst over how inhuman you are or just a vague sex metaphor.

That's silly. If you alter the hormonal balance of the brain, you alter the personality.

The only vampire(ish) beings I've liked we're the ones in one of the Conan the Cimmerian/barbarian pulp stories called 'Drums of Tombalku' by Robert E. Howard.

It's an incomplete story but I liked it anyway because it's a Conan the barbarian story where Conan is NOT the main character/protagonist but merely a side character.

>apex predators

Aren't they more akin to parasites, if and only if assuming they don't kill (all) their victims?

like everything about vampires it depends on how exactly you turn into one

if it's just "anyone that a vampire bites also becomes one" then yes, they're basically just a parasite (or STD, really) but that's an idea that doesn't really work if you think about it for very long because that means eventually everyone is a vampire and you all starve, like that one movie.

That series was shit though

The books are even worse from what I heard.

Pathfinder Ustalav kingdom
Ravenloft
Vampire the Dark Ages

Pretty common interpretation of vampires

true.
though i kinda agree with him. vampires are more interesting when they're still people. and not just person shaped monsters.

Maybe so, but vampirism should still definitely cause personality changes.

VtM handled it well enough, what with the Beast.

they way i like to see it done is they're essentially still the same person and personality. But they're battling a new strong urge to just murder when hungry. how they deal with it has potential for a lot of character development. though bot many writers manage it well.

>all these lame vanilla vamps
Come on, can't get a little more esoteric?

There are a few changes I don't like. I don't like that older vamps have to sleep for a long time just to make themselves weaker so blood seems more substantial to them. I don't know a whole lot else about the setting, I didn't get into it as heavily as I did Masquerade. I hear that there are some vamps that can stand small amounts of sunlight though which I really don't like. Sunlight should mean a burning death.

I won't defend it. I'll admit I've watched the whole thing twice and there are bits and story arcs in it that I really enjoyed, but there was an incredible amount of stupid bullshit too. Meynads, witches, Iraqi fire demons, the whole fairy thing, their portrayal of skinwalkers, I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point.

You could at least explain how that exactly is a vampire of any sorts and how it works.

I'm personally kind of put off by the vagueness of the setting. The whole Fog of Ages, the having to go into torpor, kind of kills it overall for me. It feels like the writers had no inspiration whatsoever and just gave people an empty sandbox to play with, when the appeal of Masquerade was having a fleshed out world to play in.

Wolf attacks are a thing especially tho

Vampires are gay

Wizards are better

Vampires which are apologetically assholes. Predatory monsters who biologically need to hunt humans. Anyone acting like they deserve rights, pity or anything but a garlic-coated stake through the heart is either delusional or actually a vampire.

Looks like the same artist (Daarken) who did a lot of the concept art for the Warhammer MMO. Probably designs for a future expansion pack before EA killed it.

Second guy you're replying to here. Yeah I'd forgotten about the fog of ages thing. It takes away so much character. What's the point of writing a thousand year old vampire character if he doesn't remember what the middle ages were like? He just wakes up one day, forgets absolutely everything except for needing blood and how to blend in and is a blank slate from there? So boring. Remember VtM: Redemption? What would the rest of that game have been like if Christof had forgotten his entire life in those 800 years he'd spent in torpor and just woke up a clean slate? Remember how badass he was in the Clan Novel Saga? We go by Requiem rules, no more Christof.

been planing a a vampire the requiem game set in the 80's so this is perfect.