A announcement to a clan of Dwarves on the way to defeat rust monsters

My fellow Dwarves! For too long our fine Dwarven Weapons and Armor have been corroded and eaten by those asshole rust bug things. As such, I have developed a tool that will allow us to defeat them once and for all!

This knife may look like a normal knife, but it has a blade without any metal in it. With these Knives we can kill all those stupid metal eating asshole bugs and thus Dwarvish Civilization can prosper once more!

We've tried ceramic knives. They're good for precision work and are great at holding an edge, but they chip easily and snap even more easily since they lack the flexibility of metal blades. They are unsuitable for weapons.

We recommend Ironwood blades, since they are generally superior to iron weapons (lighter, but just as durable) while also being far more environmentally friendly.

Are we sure the ceramic won't just snap off on their shell? Rust monsters aren't soft creatures.

A good stone mallet would probably be better.

get out of here you fukkin elf you ain't sellin yer garbage WOOD weapons

We don't want to be environmentally friendly! The environment isn't friendly to us, we're not chumps.

>stone mallet

This Dawi knows what's up.

Oi ya teenzy shits, just whackem real gud n' dey won't ave time to melt stuff. Fokin grots.

...Why can't we use the fire runes again?

>superior to iron weapons (lighter, but just as durable)

Half of what makes iron and steel so useful as weapons is the weight, you dolt. You can't pierce armor or knock around your opponent without proper momentum behind your weapon.

If all you have is a sharp baton you might as well jump off a cliff before the adventure even starts for all the good it'll do you.

Besides, Ironwood has a serious issue with shearing along its grain. Not very reliable outside of soft targets.

>They are unsuitable for weapons.
sounds like suitable material for arrowheards

>it's a "i've found an article on Wikipedia and now i'm gonna boast about how smart i am on Veeky Forums"

Wikipediafag, your random bouts of trivia impress no one, and if you actually spent even a minute on doing basic research, you'd understand why everything you "discover" is a dumb, impractical and inapplicable. Please devote time you spend on Wikipedia to killing yourself, i'm sure even someone with a shriveled-up brain like yours would eventually get it correct.

Let's just use magma. It always works.

got it right here.
hell, don't even have to go that far. Just put a rock in a sack, and hit them with the sack. Or hell, a stick, they aren't the hardiest of critters. It's harder to beat a rabid dog to death

Why it's better than a good obsidian knife again? Same as brittle, but obsidian remain sharp for a longer than a ceramic knife.

The weight of the weapon is actually only a small part of the equation in terms of how well it can pierce, but a large factor in how easy it is to position and maneuver.

The force of a blow actually depends more on your own weight than it does the weapon's. It's why weapons like rapiers are designed to be as light as they can feasibly be, because the majority of the force behind the attack is going to come from the momentum of the person's body during their lunge.

It's sort of like how when someone without training makes a punch they only hit with roughly the weight of their own fist, while a boxer is trained to carry the momentum of their entire body when they're going for a heavy punch, leading all the way from their big toe through their legs and hips, through their shoulders and all into your face.

This isn't just in consideration for swords. While tools like hammers are often used in larger forms for construction purposes, you'll actually only rarely find war hammers heavier than three pounds or so.

Although, I could use some new cooking implements wot're easier to clean!

What? You think just b'cause you dwarves can't use it, nobody else can?

Ceramic Knives are HERESY!

Ironwood is really hard to break. It's stronger than the strongest ordinary woods, and those are already used in plenty of weapons, including those intended to be used against armored opponents.

Ironwood has magical origins, and even a thin sheet of the material is strong enough to be fashioned into armor comparable or superior to steel armor.

Couldn't you just club them? They aren't particularly tough

So a ceramic weapon would use a totally different style? Slicing along a target rather than directly cutting into them.

Sounds less useful but interesting.

Or you could lock a ceramic blade into a wooden holder and make a sturdier macahuitl

Do you know how hard it is to get the smell of burning rust monster out of anything?

Why dont you chrome/aluminum plate your blade if youre such a good smith dwarf boy?

I don't think rust monsters give a fuck about whether or not a given metal is supposed to rust, and just sort of make it work. Really they seem like they would be pretty useful if you could domesticate them

this guy, he gets it. Magma is literally good for pretty much removing anything that needs to go.
then again burning rust monsters smell absolutely terrible and the smell is impossible to get rid of.

I think one of these would be far more useful than a brittle kitchen knife.

I dread ceramic knifes ever since I almost cut off the tip of my finger with one.
They are real life lightsabers and I stay away from them as far as I can.

Okay-Okay, then... what about the frost runes?

What are you going to do, splinter them to death?

It's a heavy wood club with sharpened stone or sometimes obsidian blades attached, it can deal some damage.

They are very effective against flesh, I won't deny that, but they have been noted to be prone to shatter and chip against European steel and ring mail. I doubt it can do much good against a rust monster's carapace.

You are probably right.
Is there any magically enhaced wood and/or stone in DnD that could rival metals?

If you seal the rust monster somewhere and totally flood the room in magma, the smell will be melted too, obviously.

Calm yo tits friend