/GURPSGEN/ Bring out your GURPS

Old thread: How are everyone's games going?
Interested to hear about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70300/gurps-interregnum
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There is no first volume of Vehicular Collection in MEGA, and second volume is older version. Anyone can fix it?

I'm running a gonzo samurai/western game, and it's going pretty well. The party is attempting to rescue a samurai that was captured digging up info on a corrupt local lord. Last session saw them doing a breach-and-clear through the slums, cleaning out thugs. Monk is beating people down, sniper is killing them from afar, bushi is cleaving dudes in half, and the courtier is desperately knifing people to death.

Stargate 1888 died a month or so back; reincarnated as Firefly: The Verse!

Session 0 and 0.5 just happened, next week the party begins their journey of intrigue and old fashioned violence, navigating the waters of browncoats versus Alliance core. GM left us on a cliffhanger with an anonymous cargo drop in deep red sun rim space. We suspect space Mexican smuggling.

Also, lesbians.

Oh my god. Can I join?

>Lesbians
Still don't see it, but who knows I might be missing something.
Overall I have to say verse has a fun cast.
We have the captain, whom seems friendly but distant, the pilot who thinks she is hot shit and abusing the engines on our ship, the coms person, who is catty and lives in her work area,the mechanic that sounds like he has done many different jobs and may or may not be burrowing into unoccupied living quarters, the old man who seems to be just an old dude who is around to help out, and the cat who keeps space rats away.

Got more info on the characters? Sounds like a fun game.
Any interesting previous adventures or backstory bits you care to share?

The monk is the party paladin; Sense of Duty + Compulsive Vowing is a fun combo and an easy way for me to keep the game going. I'm currently thinking of a way to help him out in combat because the bushi is leaving him behind in terms of damage and none of his Chi skills are high enough to be reliable in combat. I *think* he has TBaM that he's currently not exploiting, though, so I'll talk to him about rapid strikes.

The sniper is a fucking beast. Riffle-22 plus Targeted Attack to drop Skull hits to only -3 is stupidly effective. This current encounter is a challenge for him, though, because it's finally making him face his rifle's limited number of shots and slow reload time (it's basically a fuckhuge revolver). Planning on reintroducing the ronin sniper eventually; after their last faceoff left the PC with a perforated lung, he's been thirsting for a rematch. Has thoroughly fucked up every attempt at seducing his superior but is hoping to have better luck after learning his clan's courtier style. Party comic relief/murderhobo.

The bushi originally bought a fuckton of ST so he could carry a bunch of heavy weapons, but he has recently decided to return to the way of the blade with bloody results. He's also the only samurai smart enough to wear armor, and his heavy plate lets him AOA (Strong) in relative safety for even more brutality. He still keeps his shotgun loaded with blessed slugs with him in case they end up facing a coco or other abomination from beyond the Adobe Wall. Party straightman when not kicking in doors/walls/people.

The courtier is a fucker, but in a good way. Between his +7 to most reaction rolls and stupidly-high Fast-Talk, he's sidestepped or greatly mitigated most encounters. He's also a doped-up alcoholic native that is learning how to contact the spirits. Recently mourning the destruction of his favorite suit. Party wiseguy (and I don't mean he's insightful).

We're only on the second adventure; I'll give a recap when we finish.

Are you in the central Texas area?

Different user but, you make me wish I did.

So what all happened? Got more to share?

So far not much; we waited a few hours on one guy to finish his character, so we had a late start. Mostly been feeling out our characters and bumping into the rough edges.

the ship is sure shiny tho!

>players with incase art for avatars
You sure this isnt an ERP game? Nobody went full whore/companion?

Thank you user, I was offered that as art for my character and no one would tell me where it was from. Could not find it on my own. Victory is mine!

Most of the best stuf fis on tumblr now, but the shortstack comic buttsmithy.com is still going strong

High-Tech states that firing rifle with bayonet attached gives you -1 penalty. Since Mosin rifle was made and zeroed to be fired with bayonet, does it means it instead gets -1 when fired without it?

Logic follows, sure
As long as youre not spouting /k/ memes

I am running a GURPS Banestorm game where the PC's are Russian Mafia on a nice boat. Right now the party know that there are loads of AKM's and other guns on the boat. As well as finding out that their boat had crashed on an island Monastery off the cost of Blit Island.

As of the last session they spotted some not so friendly men come from Blit Island and make their way towards the Monastery.

>AKM and guns
I'm not sure that's good for the setting.

Hey now, just because he wants potentially destructive forces unleashed in a weird magic game doesnt mean its the wrong way to play.

No badwrongfun here please

The book literally tells you not to do it though. That's as close to badwrongfun as can be.

Pretty much

I'm planning a setting based loosely on ca. 16th–17th-century South-East Asia (with some African and Caribbean influences) that is going to have a lot of islands, piracy, and such.
Are GURPS vehicles rules good enough for small-scale naval warfare during that period?

he said he needed androgynous art, so I provided androgynous art. t. Adolf

The ship is called the "Féi Yā", or Fat Duck. An old surplussed-out Alliance cargo vessel with most of the good bits torn out and taped over. We like to think it had an appropriately respectable name before we called it the Fat Duck.

They could handle it. I'd note that ship-on-ship fights in that era/area would be less 'blast the ship' then boarding and assaulting in person. Marines more then cannons.

Fuck you banestorm
I WONT DO WHAT YA TOLD ME

Session 0 had no roleplay and not a lot of interconnected character building and meshing. This session 0.5 AKA session 1 we just did was more of the fill in for that. Lots of talking, mostly.

I still say renaming a boat is bad luck even if it is a space boat.

>not a lot of interconnected character building and meshing
I wouldnt say that; everyone but Sinistar was chipping in idea on how to interconeect the group. And the discord chat was live all week. Just missing joush in there

My shifts where I got up at 3 AM and got home at 3:30 PM are over, for now, so I can devote myself to getting my game running. Will update you guys when it happens, maybe.

Does anyone have any ideas/systems for town generation? Streets are secondary, I'm more interested in areas, like commercial area, residential, etc.

>entire point/huge plot point of setting is that weird portal shit puts modern day people into fantasy setting
>advise that people completely ignore the implications of modern people being injected into a fantasy setting and ban everything not fantasy
i don't get it
i don't get it at all

>firing with a bayonet attached gives you -1 penalty

Fucking why? Is the idea that it makes the weight and balance of the weapon wonkier, or something?

A minus one is a minor penalty.

Really it should only penalize muzzle loading time and give +1 Bulk.

No it isn't.

A 1 not in your favor is literally the most minor penalty in the game.

And yet, in GURPS, that can swing a large percentage of your ability at a time

It's still a minor penalty.

So you are skill 11 so 1 point, 10 in dex. -1 brings you to ten average on 3d6 is 10.5,let's say the gun has acc 2,that is 12, you will hit on average, it is weighted towards 10, if you have any skill with the weapon it has almost no effect on your accuracy. It's not like other systems where a -1 is a universal 5% loss.

Uh no, the huge plot point is that it nearly entirely take people from the middle ages to the renaissance or so.

Is there a list of everything Immune to Metabolic Hazards protects against?

>party pressed a button a few sessions ago to fend off a massed dragon attack
>ancient evil nuked everything around us, successfully fending off the attack
>everyone we've since come across has been dead, including the very magic in the air
>water springs are putrid and polluted, the moon shines green, and forlorn spirits haunt us in our sleep and beg for release

Hello /gurpsgen/, can I interest you in a weekly GURPS game, in a medieval campaign? I run it through roll20 and I've 4 out of 5 spots still open. Date and time is to be decided, but I want to adapt to my players.

If you're interested, app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70300/gurps-interregnum

Sounds intriguing, count me in.
It's bedtime in my timezone though so I won't apply on roll20 until tomorrow, please reserve a slot for me!

Wow looks like fun. Pity I'm already running my game in the timeslot/my wife would kill me to join another regular game.

One minor tip, explicitly state in your campaign blurb what the sense of duty and patron are/include. I can infer that it's a sense for the party/organization but you gotta specify these things to mitigate future issues :p
/Rant

>explicitly state in your campaign blurb what the sense of duty and patron are/include.
The sense of duty I felt was sort of obvious, but I'll do so. The organization itself is the patron, but in the text I already mention that it's worth 0 points, as in 'it can literally do nothing for you', but this will change depending on the player's actions. I'm hoping that this will motivate the players to help out their faction beyond what is strictly necessary or what they've been ordered, although of course it is purely optional.

The difference between implication and understanding is the average intelligence. And half of those folk are stupider than you think.

Is ST overpriced? It feels like even though it's exponential, it still gives diminishing returns, compared to equally costed options. A couple of points in ST, can give a character an edge in melee, help them carry more, and make them a bit tougher, but beyond 13 or 14 points, it doesn't really do much to give you more. And one you start buying superhuman, or even just really high ST, it becomes ridiculously expensive. For the price of getting to 21 ST with the Gigantism discount, you could buy ATR, which is way more powerful. (Or hell, even two levels of ATR, if you took something like "needs recharge" and a power modifier)

Is there any good ways to discount buying strength, besides Gigantism? I want to make it more attractive to players, because on all my years I've never seen someone buy more than a couple levels into it. It feels like there is just SO much more you could be doing with those points instead.

I'm interested but I'm stuck on mobile only right now (CPU went Caput in desktop, waiting on new one to arrive in the post). Would you be willing to add me on Discord, or such in the meantime?

Ideas:
Use Knowing Your Own Strength from Alternate GURPS IV.
Reprice Strength to 5/level.
Give them points to only spend on ST.
Make high ST relevant in your campaigns.

>Reprice Strength to 5/level.
That's what I was thinking, but I was worried it might be too low. Does it seem fair to you?

It'll make incremental buying of ST pretty much worthless, so nobody will buy HP, or Lifting/Striking ST. It'll also make it cheap to be able to punch through almost any armor that isn't a trauma plate.

Could lower the incrimental costs, to compensate. 2 points for lifting ST and HP, 3 for striking ST.(and I always discourage buying these anyway, very munchkin)

Yeah, does make melee damage get high pretty easy, but that's only assuming people buy ST that high. I don't think even with the lowered cost, it would result in a ton of ST 20 PCs running around, because it's still rather a niche attribute. Not a lot of concepts involve high ST, and those that don't, don't really benefit from it that much.

Look at the options for strength in GURPS supers.

Anyone ever do a tank based campaign?

I wanna do a campaign where a cut off Leopard 1 tank crew has to fight their way through Soviet territory. Kinda like a cold war gone hot Fury.

Sounds super fun desu senpai

I'm trying to remember in which book contained some bio weapons. If I recall correctly, this book had a section with some bio weapons used by an alien race, I can remember an insect that was mounted on the forearms and shoot explosive darts (or was it explosive offsprings?) and an armor that required a painful bonding procedure to be worn but was quite effective.

Send before finishing. Can someone please tell me which book had it? I looked at Bio Tech but apparently it wasn't it.

I just need to figure out tank combat in GURPS and get the vehicles in order. Any tips?

Sorry bud. I'm not too experienced with GURPS, so I can't help you out much in that department.

I have heard that the FFG Only War game has some pretty good rules for running vehicle crews -- you might be able to pull some inspiration from there.

Having one tank is bad idea, honestly. The only person who will have fun during tank combat is commander, because he's only one who makes decisions. It will look like that:
>Commander: Go there
>Driver: I'm going where he said
>Commander: Shoot there with that type of shell
>Radio operator/loader: I'm loading shell
>Gunner: I shoot at target designated by commander
>GM: You received following radio transmission
>Radio operator/loader: Hey commander, we received following radio transmission

I don't know if that's fair.

>Driver:

How to get to where the commander's picked, and how to overcome problems like the tank getting stuck or caught on something. Spotting threats out of the limited view, and evading attacks.

>Gunner

Picking exactly how to shoot a target, how long to aim, ect. Picking out the highest piroirty target when there are several, and using the coax MG to drive off soft targets.

The loader has the least interesting job, but that's only in tank-on-tank engagements. There's other kinds of fight a crew might get into.

I'm running my second campaign soon, the first one a short introductory run.

Anyway, I want to run a "realistic" high-fantasy game about regular dudes trying to survive in a world with magic and monsters. Think Black Company for the feel I'm going for, although there won't be a company involved.

I'm thinking of going 100/-25 for points, but additionally to that I want to impose a maximum skill-cap of 15 on the players on all skills, both to promote variety and because regular dudes can't thread an arrow into an orc's eye socket from 100 paces.

Is the 15 skill cap okay for a realistic campaign (in the GURPS sense of realistic) or is it too onerous? I also plan to keep skill progression as stated in the Basic Set book, so it should be pretty slow.

Hey boys, how viable is a warhammer 40k game in GURPS? I need ideas for weapons/armor/ammo for guardsmen anyone wants to help out.

Okay so, how do I disarm an enemy, and keep the weapon I take from him? Like wrestling a gun out of some one's hands, for instance. Would I literally do wrestling grapple attack on the gun, and then a strength / skill quick contest?

Grab weapon@break grip

I'm not seeing that listed anywhere. Where is it?

In technical grappling

Biggest obstacle is how damn inconsistent the lore for 40k is.

I'd say bump the cap to 18; once-a-generation level of skill isn't as out-there.

If it's referencing a specific alien race or whatever, it sounds more like a setting book than a generic *-tech book. It could be from any of the dozen 3e setting books, or maybe it's something weird from Warehouse 23 (the book, not the site).

Extraordinarily viable, the problem is how in-story the Space Marine capabilities change per author per situation. So there's a chance that once you get your Space Marines Right, they won't be right for another scene because you yourself are adjusted to the narativium.

Why am I talking Marines when you're talking guard's men? Because Marines fight the same things the Guardsmen do, just die less.

Spitball what where the Marines will be and that will give you your general Xeno Threat strength, and then you'll know what kind of weapons you need.

Honestly, I'd go into High Tech, pick out WWII stuff, bump up the weapons up a notch and add an extra die to it. (Pi+ to Pi++) Then light it on fire.

I think Ultra Tech has some laser weapons for the flashlights...

Hah, even Ultratech's problems will fit in with 40k. (A common house rule is to double the DR for the armor otherwise it's basically tissuepaper to the weapons)

How much survivability will affected after doubling HP and DR with adding AD (2) to pi/imp damage types?
Doesn't this will make character more durable during gunfights, and give more sustain in melee, like less one-shots and more active action time?

Extreme Damage is an article in either Alternate GURPS I or II. It talks about, amongst other things, increasing the rate of damage increase at ST 20+

>maximum skill-cap of 15
Make that cap relative level instead. Much more "fair" in the players eyes

Any of you ever tried to blend syntactic or symbol magic with RPM before?

Nothing happens, in fact.
Players just need to learn more skills to stay actual. And for symbol variant it's easier to get bigger discounts for fancy symbol blings.

My GM is running Dungeon Fantasy, and I wanted to make a barbarian character. I was thinking about taking Berserk, but it seems downright suicidal, especially for a melee character. Not having any active defenses, seems like it would result in getting absolutely torn to shreds, without a decent level of DR. Is there any way to mitigate that, beyond maybe "kill everyone near you on your turn before they can get a hit in"?

>"kill everyone near you on your turn before they can get a hit in"
You don't believe, duude!

And take race with DR and get some chainmail hoodie and pants. Long reach, moving farther than 1 step and right positioning is bread&butter for berserks.
Or be a pussy and don't mess around with Berserk dis.

>moving farther than 1 step
The rest makes sense, but since you can't retreat, wouldn't that just lead to you throwing yourself deeper into the thick of shit?

U don get it.
>moving farther than 1 step and right positioning
And AOA says:
>Movement: You may move up to half your Move, but you can only move forward.

But Berserk requires you to get as close as possible to enemies whenever you move, so the more you can move, the more likely you are to smash yourself against them, and wind up sorrounded. Which is even worse if you have a long reach weapon.

>Berserk requires you to get as close as possible
No.
>If armed with a hand weapon, you must make an All-Out Attack each turn a foe is in range.
If u have reach 3 and move 6, your effective reach is 6 for sake to get attack on enemy in front of you with that weapon or 7 with Long option or even 9 for move&attack. U even can circle around them until they still in reach.
Nothing says you should act like freakin bestial no brainer until u just stupid I-hit-it-with-my-axe or have Bestial dis.

I think you're missing the fact that Berserk leaves you functioning at full capacity, unless your arms get crippled. You take no penalties at all to move, and stun and shock do nothing. Between that, the 13 HT the Barbarian has, and the +4 to not die or pass out, you will be killing till you hit -5xHP (and since you start with 17 ST, that's a whopping 102 points of damage you can soak up, without including DR). By the time you hit that point, every enemy had damn well better be dead. The only downside is getting healed back up to full HP, afterwards, cause your shit is going to be FUCKED UP.

So, GURPS friends, like always late to the party and like always with stupid question

We are trying to pull a pirate campaign in realistic TL4, no magic, with fairly competent starting characters and there is a debate:
110 and 30 in disadvantages
vs
125 and 25 in disadvantages
Since this is barely any difference, we just need someone else to take the voice and decide, since the party is split in half about it.

125/-25. You'll be at a 150 point total, and a lower disadvantage limit means it's easier to justify taking one or two big disadvantages, rather than half a dozen small ones to pad out the disad limit.

The rest of that very same line is
>If no foe is in range, you must use a Move maneuver to get as close as possible to a foe and if you can Move and Attack, or end your Move with a slam, you will.
So if you have a reach 3 weapon and they're more than 3 yards away, then you have to move and attack, and get as CLOSE TO THEM AS POSSIBLE, even if it means your reach 3 weapon can't attack properly, you have to get into C range, if you can manage it on that action.

This

Okay guys, I got a fucking adventure, maybe even a campaign hammered out in my head. I fucking love it, and I hope my player (playtest first!) likes it too. If they do I want to do a proper write up for other people to use.

How do you GURPS modules? Do I need to do it up like Mirror of The Fire Demon? Is there some other set up?

Do you want it published by SJGames, or is it going to be a free thing?

>Do you want it published by SJGames, or is it going to be a free thing?

Holy fuck I don't even dream of it being published by SJG. It'd be cool if it was, but I don't think I can hack it.

So a free thing, but I want it nice so it's accessible. Cause face it, we don't have enough modules.

Checked.
If you want to make a free module, then you can do something similar to Mirror of The Fire Demon. Just make sure you don't copy the formatting, or SJGames might have to shut it down. As long as you organize things in a logical manner (e.g. start to finish) and make statblocks like DF Monsters, it should be fine. When you get a rough draft ready, upload it here so we can critique.

gotcha man

Sup. I've decided to run new campaign with my players, about party of explorers and on planning stage I've realised I will end up with having to roll for all the NPCs in their expedition, which will mean I will be rolling for 20+ different characters.
Is there some simplified way to deal with this or do I really have to roll for everyone?

You could just roll the average for the group (e.g. 10 for Will rolls), or have the highest skilled member roll with +1 for each person that knows the skill, and -1 for each person in the group that the roll affects. You could also just not roll and assume they rolled a 10 or 11, compare to skill, and judge who passed/failed on that. I'm sure there are more ways, but those are a few ideas.

Thing is, I've got a new guy in a group, he's a rule lawyer and I know he won't allow doing stuff that's not in the book. We migrated to Basic from Lite lately, so I'm still getting used to all of it and the options it gives, but can't recall anything for mass combat.

Tell him he can go fuck himself.

All of those rules are already in GURPS in one form or another. Action 2 for the first two, the last one is from a pyramid article titled something like "Turned Up To 11".

Tell him to fuck off, you're the GM. GURPS is a system that NEEDS a strong GM hand, willing to change rules, streamline things, or make exceptions, in order to run well. GURPS is a toolkit, not an "out of the box" system. It's what makes it so good and easily adaptable.