/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Best adventure edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.
What is the best official adventure, and why is it picrelated?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B4jAv0Wgv9taQ29RZUJiekRXMWc
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Player wants to be a human barbarian raised by lizardfolk. Fluff-wise it was because his parents were on good terms with the lizards, and because they were reliable they saw no need to waste a child with good potential just for a free meal.

I was thinking of giving him the option of having Cunning Artisan for free; that seem fair to you guys?

Speaking of the prewritten stuff, what do you think of the selection for Tales from the Yawning Portal?

Any chance someone could add the Gunslinger class to the Trove?

saves me the trouble of converting a bunch of 1e adventures

Fuck it doesn't have it, here we go.

Sounds good to me.

I mean, there's nothing there that would convince me to actually use pre-written stuff, but from what I've read, it is a competent greatest hits album.

>party trapped in underdark
>thrown to an arena naked
>"amuse the crowd and earn your gear back for the fights to come"
>dwarf breaks into a racy bar song
>effeminate warlock dancing around to it
>slaps on asses are had
>drow crowd lusting hard for that butt everafter
>fastforward holding cells
>same warlock talks his way into wardens office
>trying to seduce a key out of him
>mage hand to rub his package as they talk across his desk

>my fucking face when my players pulled me into the magical realm

i was wanting to run the sunless citadel for ages now, was either gonna run 3.5 for it or tweak it up to 5 on my own until i saw they had it on there

all over that shit

Could we add this in too?

Fucking drow

>the warden is a man
You have strange drow.

How about no?

Why user?

Continuing sorcerer discussion
>Spell Points instead of slots
>Expanded Spell lists
>More metamagic (lore sorcerer spell secrets as a metamagic, divided between lesser and greater)
>Improved metamagic (either as options for more points or just buff it like sculpt magic instead of careful spell)
>Lesser metamagic at 3 (twinned, subtle, lesser distant, empowered, careful, quickened, heightened, lesser spell weaving changing damage type to fire, cold, poison, lightning, necrotic, and acid
>Level 10 feature now change a spell on a long rest and greater metamagics (sculpted, maximized, greater distant, and greater weaving radiant, psychic, thunder and save changes
>Level 17 feature now exploding dice up to Cha Mod (does not work with maximized) and for each exploded die a sorcery point is regained

1. It's bloated and overdesigned. K.I.S.S.
2. It strangely has the opposite problem of most homebrew in that it is underpowered, and thus will cause any player who wants something like it to be more useless in a party than a vanilla Beastmaster Ranger.
3. It doesn't really have a thematic niche that would allow a DM to allow it in their world

Oh and pyromancer is called elementalist
Can switch between Fire, Cold, Poison, Acid, and necrotic (dat plane of salt) 3 times per long rest as a bonus action. Flavored as these are the planes which intersect with the material plane the most, allowing those magically inclined individuals access to them.

Curse of Strahd is the best written in both story, potential, freedom and atmosphere but it's a bit cheating since it is piggybacking off what was already one of if not the best of the early DnD modules.

Are there any Pathfinder stories that people consider good enough to port over to 5e?

i would dig taking spellpoints over casts per day but no fucking way i'd be any good with how much to give per level and what spell level should cost what number of spellpoints for purposes of balance

starting the party on moving from LMoP to storm king's thunder tonight. words of wisdom?

Page 288 of DMG friend

Going to start playing Princes of the Apocalypse today, what am I in for? Any particular classes that would be good for it?

oh well shit i forgot that's an actual variant rule thing now. cheers.

Play genasi with the adequate sorcerer subclass for dat flavor&immersion

>It's Bloated and overdesigned.
Explain more on this cause to me it's about the same design as a paladin, it has war magic instead of extra attack, free magic weapons, and all of the subclasses synergize with itself. I don't see it as overdesigned it's just a magic swordsman/gish.

>2. It strangely has the opposite problem of most homebrew in that it is underpowered, and thus will cause any player who wants something like it to be more useless in a party than a vanilla Beastmaster Ranger.

War magic, Enspell, Aegis, arcane casting, divine smite, AOE buff, multiple free spell castings... seems pretty strong to me. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say it might be a bit too strong.

>3. It doesn't really have a thematic niche that would allow a DM to allow it in their world

Cult of magic, martial fighters, red mages... it seems flexible, I made it work.

Not really.

If that's what you want the level 17 feature to be, wild sorcerers should get something else at 18.

How would I play as a lucky wizard?

If we were going by the classic

>str
>dex
>con
>wis
>int
>lck

I want my wizard to be Int/lck but obviously there is no lck stat

No. It's shit.

Halfing Wizard.

Human Variant Wizard.

Anything Wizard and take Lucky at 4.

Halfling divination wizard with the lucky feat.

You play as a halfling divination wizard with Lucky feat. You think things and they happen.

>What is the best official adventure, and why is it picrelated?

Calling Curse of Strahd 'the best' isn't very impressive since the other adventures are all terrible. It's just a rehash/expansion of an AD&D setting with a central plot line that doesn't make sense or work unless you force your players onto rails. It seems like it's trying to have old school hexcrawler feel but there's nothing to encounter that doesn't force you back onto the path of 'get the mcguffins, kill vamp'.

Nice was thinking of Divination anyway. Sounds the most useful for getting the party out of a sticky situation

>Now That's What I Call Dungeons
Yo Baron, I can dig it!

Which would you say are the least terrible?

>that feel when the rest of party obeys the "Keep Out" sign of the evil wizard's lair

Why wouldn't I just play an Eldritch Knight if I wanted to be a gish?

I wish we had some new official books for classes and subclasses

Damn, forgot about wild sorcerer. What would you suggest? I'm thinking something about increases to force damage as that is the damage of pure magical energy though its not too random.
I definitely want sorcerers to get damage. They're defined by a limited spell list that they use metamagic to fit to their needs and, while they have less utility than wizards, they bring the pain much more effectively.

Me too. My group allows UA but I always feel hesitant using playtest material and it's nice having a lot of shit in one book to reference.

I'd agree that Curse of Strahd is 'the best' but with the caveat that it's 'the best' in the same way that the shit sandwich with barbecue sauce on it is 'the tastiest'. I have fond memories of Hoard of the Dragon Queen 'cuz that was the first full campaign I ran but I also acknowledge that it's pretty bad.

Free magic weapons+armor, divine smite, half caster, Spell Ward, free spell slots, more spell options.

Maybe after they've done an UA for every class they will release it in a second phb.

One thing I liked about 3.5 & 4e is the amount of official book that came out

I'd personally love to see Second Darkness ported over.

>Revised Beastmaster
>Tempest Cleric
>Dream Druid
>Open Hand Monk
>Conquest Paladin

I was not prepared for this party. How are meager skelemans and the occasional lesser Devil supposed to compete?

You should know, the DM may hate you.

Because you will become the DM.

>Bloated
The number of features is more than any PHB class when you consider their spellcasting, something that can be seen in that guy's other "Pugilist" homebrew. Combine that with their spellcasting which has a bunch of exclusive spells that no other class has and you have something that has too many things to keep track of for my taste.

>Balance
Enspell is just a concentrationless Magic Weapon, Aegis is a concentrationless Shield of Faith that only gets better than a 1st level spell at 13th level, their spell progression is like a Ranger which is not exactly known for having great spellcasting, their melee smites are worse than a Paladin's and their ranged smites are even worse than the Arcane Archer UA, War magic is good I won't lie, but overall it just doesn't excel at any category. Compare that to other gishes who either have crazy offense (Paladin) or Crazy defense (Eldritch Knight) and they end up as versatile but lacking in the kind of abilities that will make a party appreciate their presence since their effects are largely incremental and subtle.

>Setting
I'm not saying they can't fit in, just that their fluff crowds the already crowded "Magical Society" niche. If your setting has room for it fine, but many don't.

I'm not saying your fun is wrong, but the Magus really isn't as broadly applicable as the Gunslinger. If you want it in the Mega, go ahead since my original post was mostly a joke.

Even though they said that they won't make things like "Complete" books from 3.5, I hope they would try to balance them again and make an "Adventurer's Compendium" that had all the UA material revised, and maybe some new things in on itself. But I think that would be enough for the character building we need for 5e. I don't see the appeal of having hundreds of classes and options, it bogs down character creation and encourages munchkinnery.

>Using UA material
You brought this on yourself

Tucker's Meager Skelemans I guess?

Someone did put all the UA into one file (Excluding things like Plane Shifts and such, UA only)

drive.google.com/open?id=0B4jAv0Wgv9taQ29RZUJiekRXMWc

I'm going to port talislanta spellcasting to 5e.

>no Lore Wizard

Shit party

Bryn Shander is not as fun as it sounds. Goldenfields would've probably been a better place to send the party.

Enjoy Chapter 3, let your players explore the Sword Coast for a few sessions, there's a lot of great adventures in there. Definitely try to tie in some foreshadowing, and build up the Giant threat.

For sure read the PDF, I would've loved to have read it before I ran SKT.

>something that can be seen in that guy's other "Pugilist" homebrew
I keep pointing this out from time to time, but the Pugilist has literally the exact same number of named abilities as the Monk.

Not gonna bother reading the magus, though.

Rate my party
>gnome lore wizard
>dwarf ancients paladin
>warforged totem barbarian
>dragonborn draconic sorcerer

> lore wizard
It's shit.

And they brought back the original writers/designers for the new book as consultants.

>named abilities as the Monk
And at least 3 of them are ribbons unless the DM loves his inner city shit.

>t-there's no winning...

I'm going to DM HotDQ for the following party, How do you think it'll go?

Wood-Elf Monk (going Open Hand)
Wood-Elf Druid (going Swamp)
Half-Elf Rogue (going Thief)
Taxabi Rogue (going Arcane Trickster)

Thoughts? Will they succumb to the first kobolds?

Official Best Party:

>Divination Halfling W/ Lucky Feat
>Lore Bard Half Elf
>Human Paladin
>Dwarf Cleric
>Elf Rogue

Are you gonna write this up? I'd love to read it if you do!

Who/what are "The Ancients" referenced in terms of the Vow of the Ancients paladin? I mean, I get that they're supposed to be fey/elfy themed paladins without being too obvious, but I don't get it.

>Bloated
Okay, fair point.

>Balance
I see this class as the more magic focused option as opposed to the Paladins offensive and EKs defensive, but fair point. The Enspell and Aegis feature come with more benefits than just being a concentrationless Magic Weapon. Like removing resistances and immunities or causing status conditions, I think that gives them some solid usage in a party. They also have much better spell options than the ranger does.

>Setting
To each his own I suppose.

What's the one site everybody uses for their formatted homebrews?
The lords of the wild.
The everliving treants.
The eternal fae.
Any nature bullshit you can think of probably lives a long ass time.

Is there a published adventure in which the Mariner fighting style would actually be useful?

Fey or other miscellaneous nature spirit things I guess.

*Tabaxi

Nah.

Arcana cleric, oathbreaker, necromancer, moon druid (assistant tank at early levels and gotta turn those skellingtons into giant scorpions later on), and, sure, lore bard.

Is Storm King the best lengthy campaign with the most magical feel?

the idea of dragons v giants and airships sounds amazing

Megaanon here. No.

Nature spirits of the Material plane.

let me correct the record:
>halfling diviner with lucky feat
>nuclear druid
>auxiliary grave cleric
>dragon-hunting kobold
>fighter with diamond pickaxe
>sanic tabaxi
There you go

Like tongue of the sun and moon and timeless body.

Adventure paths are something Paizo actually does fairly well. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Skulls and Shackles or Iron Gods in 5e.

Megaanon, been asking for a while now, but why no Plane Shift material on 5etools?

Shitty homebrews btfo.

Where is the Mariner fighting style? No, but it COULD be useful in a Spelljammer or nautical themed campaign -- though that may sound improbable to you, a ship is a battlemap you can reuse 100s of times.

/5eg/ I need some help.

I love 5E, and so does my regular group. We've been running two alternating games, a PF one and a 5Eberron one. Now after adding a new player we are talking about converting the PF game to 5E and one of the player is having trouble with figuring out their changeover.

If PF, they're playing a Bard (sandman) and does a lot of sneakiness, stealing spells, and a lot of illusions.

He just linked me a home brew bard college on DndWiki, which I have told people to never link me because I think the place is a tire fire, instead I was wondering folk's opinions on one of the variant ideas about feats about some class features (with a bit of adjustments) being made into feats rather than even considering something from the wiki and making it as a counter offer to the player.

What would be some appropriate features turned feats from Illusionist and arcane trickster and what adjustments would you make.

I wanted to gauge you guys on this while I make some of my own brewings and compare what comes up. Thanks Anons.

Mega is always good for uploading, as is mediafire and googledocs.

>What's the one site everybody uses for their formatted homebrews?
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>Any nature bullshit you can think of probably lives a long ass time.
Hell, a 20th level elf druid lives like 7000 years, so they'd probably qualify.

BTFO

Hey megaanon
Thanks for being great
Will other 3rd party shit be added or is ToB it?

>necromancer+animal shapes druid
Fuck, I was meeming it up that day but forgot to put it into my all-star party

>misfire rules

How about no?

Ah well worth a shot.

>3 of them are ribbons
What's the third one? Street Smart and Rabble Rouser are ribbons for sure, what's the third?

Megaanon, you've missed one of the seeker invocations from the Lore Wizard Arcana, the one that grants languages.

Quicken/Twinned spell will probably always be the top picks for Metamagic because they let the Sorcerer break the rules for concentration and the action economy. Whether the character has them permanently or can choose between using those or another Metamagic is irrelevant because they are the most flexible options and will be picked 99.9% of the time. Taking away the worry of "I need to take Quick/Twin Spell to not be useless all the time" by allowing them to swap out Metamagics isn't a bad thing.

Kek

That's a good idea, thanks!

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the adventure? Is it mostly in dungeons, on land, etc etc?

How do you like your Halflings? Do you like them as just short people? Short people with big heads? Thicc short girls?

Without spoilers, I'd say there's more than a few dungeons. If I remember correctly.

>Int 8 wizard
>catgirls.pdf
>how do I make a dark souls character
>13+DEX+CON+DEX+WIS+DEX dragon sorcerer barbarian monk