Been in an Only War group for 5 months now

>Been in an Only War group for 5 months now
>Run the gamit of themes, from last stands to occupations to garrison to intelligence
>find out two weeks ago none of them have seen Aliens, The Thing, Predator, and pretty much every classic sci Fi movie.
>mfw they've been quoting these movies without even realizing it due to how heavily the movies are referenced in pop culture
>show them The Thing and Aliens yesterday and now they know why I'm so paranoid in game.

Do your part Veeky Forums and make sure the new kids coming in have a proper basing in sci fi. They could be missing out on classics and not even know it

>playing tabletop games with people aged below 25

Your own fault, retard.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

>Aliens
Check
>Predator
Check
>The thing
...shit

I is newfag still

It's not your job to educate them.

Yea, well fuck you too!

kek

So, wait: do they not make good scifi/horror flicks anymore? I agree that the movies op listed are great, but I'm old....do you kids really go for the oldies? Nothing new that's good?

20 year old here.

Generally, sci-fi movies that come out now are a bit dull or toned-down. Sci-fi movies from 20-30 years ago weren't afraid to show disgusting, disturbing or violent things.

Just look at Aliens. Its gory, violent and amazing.
Now look at Prometheus.

Now look at Predator, its badass, over-the-top and awesome.
Now look at Predators.

You see what I mean?

>OP has fun playing and introducing players to something he enjoys
>acting like this is somehow a problem

Sad.

The only good recent sci-fi seems to be the thought-provoking kind rather than the action kind.
Not that one is better than the other, but action has more mass appeal.

There's been good scifi in the last 20 years. There's been good horror in the last 20 years. There really hasn't been much in the way of sci-fi horror that isn't Cabin in the Woods, and that only vaguely brushes up against.

The difference doesn't even go that far back.

I'm 28 and grew up on the kinds of movies you describe as being less inhibited.

Dredd was decent in that regard.

We share a hobby with a lot of autistics. Pay them no mind.

I wish our group tried only war, all the hush hush in dark heresy and zero comradery is tiresome and bit sad sometimes.

Thanks for taking the time - as an oldfuck, I just assumed my disgust at new things was a function of my age....you are indicating that there is an ACTUAL, measurable decline in quality: young folk don't like the new shit either.
It makes me sad that this decline is happening; but happy that some of the youth are wise to it....
>thought-provoking kind
Any examples? I've avoided the entire lot out of fear of disappointment.
Any examples? Fair warning: I'm a Carpenter fan, for whatever that's worth.
>Dredd was decent in that regard.
Yeah, it was a decently tight little action flick; I thought it sold the mythology quite well. And old school grim.

Decline in quality and increase in quantity is definitely a thing in media, that said there are some good stuff that comes every now and then.

I really like snowpiercer for example it's pretty much a hive world of 40k on wheels.

>Thanks for taking the time - as an oldfuck, I just assumed my disgust at new things was a function of my age....you are indicating that there is an ACTUAL, measurable decline in quality: young folk don't like the new shit either.
>It makes me sad that this decline is happening; but happy that some of the youth are wise to it....
Off topic, but this reminds me of a conversation I had with my cousin about how the 90s ended all the casual nudity of 80s movies.
I spontaneously composed a song entitles, "Where have all the boobies gone."

Japan must be stopped

Sad!

Disappointing!

Low energy!

I just found out two of the people in my group have never finished Lord of the Rings.

Like...I'm not even sure what I should say to them.

The session ended in awkward silence.

>what is the dumbing down of pg-13 movies?

When people joined my group and asked questions about why a gellar field flicker was bad everyone in my group just asked "Have you ever seen 'Event Horizon'?" If they said yes we would say "Counts as Gellar field failure." If they said no, we sent them home with a copy and told them it was a movies about a Gellar field failure.

Many jokes about not needing eyes where we were going.

Have you watched From Beyond OP? If you/they haven't, then watch it. Watch it RIGHT NOW. And base a gaming session around it.

>Event Horizon

Oh my goodness, when my brother showed me that movie on Netflix, we joked for days afterwards.

"Liberate tuteme! LIBERATE TUTEME!"