On the coming of 8th edition 40k

I've recently started collecting and painting 'nids and I'm thinking about playing, but I don't have a codex. What I'm asking is should I buy a bid codex now or wait until 8th edition rolls out? I don't want to spend $80 and end up having to get an new one a few months down the line.

>Buying codexes
>Especially nid codexes
Do not play nids. They started with a bad codex two editions ago, and have been nerfed in every codex since. The only thing that currently makes them competitive is the fucking skyblight formation, which might be legal next codex.

So you're saying I should become a meta fag and ditch my favorite faction for space weeaboos or gay space elves?

Depends on how much you want to play. Nids got it pretty bad this edition, and they only have a few useful models. That said, if you find more casual opponents, they can be just fine if played well. If you desperately want to play and are willing to accept having one of the weaker armies, then theres no real harm in buying the 7e codex. Otherwise, wait for 8e and hope nids get a buff.

Most replies are talking on power level. You're clearly not worried about that. The answer is wait. Don't even collect that many models either, cause some might be removed or replaced.
Not much time left for replacement era, so just wait it out, use your not-illegal PDF, and hope whatever you already have isn't axed out.
Remember, GW is frantically advancing the storyline, so everything is on the hinge of being axed.
So don't commit already.

I you worry about the price of a codex, I wouldn't start playing 40k at all.

fuck him user. you play an army because you like it, not to win every game. Ork here, so i know this. I'd wait honestly

Could someone give me a link to a good PDF of the codex?

They are in the 40k general thread

/40kg/ has a Nid's pdf codex - not really good quality but usable

>le not a hobby for poorfags meme
You can play every game as long as your opponents have as big budget as yours. Just talk with your friends/game mates that everyone will start with Start Collecting and/or Armoured Assault and expand your armies simultaneously

Fuck this guy, OP. I make just over minimum wage, started collecting less than a year ago and have 1200 points of Eldar, which I'm planning to ally with some Orks the next time I can get something. If you want into the hobby, you can do it, just make some budget cuts elsewhere. The hobby is fun as fuck, don't let scary dollar signs get you down.

Money isn't the issue, I just don't like the prospect of putting $80 into something that'll get outdated and useless

Why do you morons always try to drop thousands into 40k immediately. You're never going to paint that shit in time anyway so why not just budget and save up $20 or $50 a month, and buy at most a box per month and paint as you go? Then you'll be able to learn the game, grow your army, and end up with a fully painted army that didn't break the bank and more experience playing at all point levels than most players since everyone else was a retard and bought a full recast/eBay unpainted flavor of the month army.

>what do you think I've been doing for the last 3 months

And besides it's not a very big army rn anyways. The only models I've put together are a few gaunts and out of that I've maybe painted 10.

>don't play a faction because its bad in game despite you liking them.
I found that guy.

Cruddace confirmed for author of next nid codex. Should be out sometime Q3 this year.

Carnifexes bumped up by 30 points, save down to 4+, +1 wound.

Termagaunts +3 points, +1A, I3

Warriors, -1 point, 6+ save, +1W, -2A, -1I

Hive Tyrants, +60pts, +1W, +1T, 4+ save. Wings now give the tyrant the same movement as jump infantry, no flying.

Synapse now 6", takes 1D6 toughness test with no saves for every turn outside synapse. Squads out of synapse range has to take leadership test to return to Synapse. No more fearless for being in Synapse, instead, they gain +1LD

>Cruddace confirmed for author of next nid codex
Well, shit. Source?

You have the right attitude, don't become the fag who plays unpainted Tau just so you can win.

Anyway, I would honestly pirate the codex. If you're just playing with friends I wouldn't waste the money on a book that might not be valid much longer.

he's talking shit you dumb cuntwaffle

Thanks for the latest edition of "I made this shit up..."

**I know this is bullshit**
If this is true, especially the synapse losing fearless bit, then 'nids are fucked.

Find yourself a casual meta or get into the game with friends who won't be WAAC. I did that and I actually win most of my games as Tyranids. And I play against Space Wolves, Chaos, Imperial Guard, and Necrons.

I have been playing nids since 3rd, and I can tell you, buying optimism is a bad idea. We have gotten steadily fucked and then a bit of hope and then fucked over and over.

I don't mean to be rude, but I actually believe you fools who buy nids speculatively hoping they'll get a buff are part of the problem. I have seen new nid players over and over with each new edition buy into this idea that nids will get buffed and it never happens.

I have other armies to keep me competitive in that context, but I feel bad for you poor fools who give GW your $ only to not get rewarded. GW buffs things to encourage you to buy; it isn't the other way around.

You're more than welcome to play whatever weak faction you want, just don't be TFG who demands that your opponent not use the models they want because your faction is too weak to win games against them.

Nobody does that faggot. Since when have you heard ANYONE on Veeky Forums tell Tau players not to use Riptides? If they don't like Riptides they simply don't play Tau. Taufags like you can still use your shitty Riptides if you want.

But then you get butthurt about not getting any games because everyone knows what a faggot you are, then you start whining about them.

>HURRR DON'T TELL PEOPLE NOT TO USE THE MODELS THEY LIKE
>HURRR DON'T BOYCOTT ENTIRE FACTIONS
>HURRR DON'T REFUSE GAMES BASED ON THE ENEMY'S FACTION

What the fuck do you want then faggot? Because we're not going to play games against shit we don't like.

Nikka I been telling people about Orks constantly, & ranks of people messaging me & hatefully quitting the faction or the game grow weekly.

Wait, who are you though?

>tfw I'm a TauFag that doesn't use riptides specifically because I hate the model.
>tfw LFGS bans Forge World rules and models for Tournament play but is fine with them in casual play.

>n-no one tells you to not use X or Y units because they don't like them!

>w-we just won't play you if you use X or y units that we don't like!

>this is not functionally the same thing!

Wew

>thinks he can force people to play with him

Get a load of this faggot.

Bro, what.

Scenario 1:
Person A makes a competitive list and wants to play, X Y and Z don't want to play a competitive list.

Scenario 2:
Person X Y and Z tell person A to not use a given unit ever.

I'm just not seeing the equivalence.

Ork player here. When is sweet sweet 8th edition? I can't wait to dust off my green tide again.

>he thinks 8th isn't going to make Orks even worse

You're really fired up.

I'd kill for a rules change. Fliers have involuntarily killed my love for the game.

Is the state of orks not the same as:
?

As a veteran of 40k I can tell you with absolute certainty that 4th/5th edition nids were the best they will ever have. As for nid players speculatively buying shit, this is completely true. Nids have gotten more models than orks have in the last 20 years. It doesn't make your army good, however.

Honestly, dropping money for a codex is pretty different from dropping it on the models.

You buy a codex and you get to use the info in it until it's outdated (potentially soon).
You buy models and even if they get removed from the codex you get the time spent modeling, painting etc and can use them as a display piece.

Anyone still uses those? Asking unironically, been years since I last seen one on table...

I saw a game the other day where one person had one, and the other had about 7.
I think it was more for an excuse to pull em out, but they still had em and used em.

Yes people still use them, what sort of random town do you live in not to use them? Aussie here, but we are pretty competitive desu.

Realistically the next Tyranid codex will nerf hive tyrants and buff nothing.

Why? what has the hive tyrant done to deserve a nerf?

Be an effective unit in a Tyranid codex.

This.

I know it sounds dramatic, but hop on over to the tyranid hive or warp shadow and check out the forums. There's a good history of posters on there who can confirm Tyranids don't get nice things, and a steady cycle of newbies coming in and leaving.

Seriously, you've been warned.

>My competitive scene is the only scene in the whole country
Pls stop making us look bad

Bamp

I'm some asshole who said any retard could write a better Ork codex than GW's abortion.

Turns out I was that retard: bit DOT ly/Orks7ePDF

I've got a Blitza-bomma that I quite enjoy using. It looks rad and ocassionally kills stuff so it's a worthwhile investment, might even pick up 2 more so I can fly a wing.

Flyers and flying MCs are really common in my area, as well as in bat reps and in tournament lists.

I mean, it's common all over that people use flyers. He's not wrong. He may be from the United States of Australia, but I'm from the American United States so that's two places it's common.

Little bit of country tag word fun

Wait for 8th op, I'm a devout 'Nid player and we got it bad in 7th. Truthfully it's still fun as all hell to play and Tyranids have some of the coolest models imo. Play because you like the army, not for the sake of winning. technically speaking, It's not even that Tyranids are a bad army, it's just the gw is going all "shooty-shooty" at the moment and has forgotten Orks, Daemons and Tyranids are all "stabby-stabby". If you're looking to play a little more competitively, look into the skyblight formation aka "The Flying Circus". I would personally recommend throwing down some Zoanthrope broods with maybe a Neurothrope for the spirit leech ability. range is 18" I think with the spirit leech rule and Zoanthropes get warp blast anyway and they get a 3+ invulnerable save which is pretty useful. If you get a Trygon -one of the best models in all of 40k imo- deep striking is not always useful but certainly fun. And reserves I believe can enter the board from that tunnel the Trygon makes. As a side note, if you do play, don't take a Mawloc. Just take a Trygon/prime, they're just better in every way. Best of luck op, enjoy spreading the blessed word of the great devourer.

Absolute fucking reprobates