Traveller General

Misjump Edition

Previous thread: Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1976. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Library Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

Other urls found in this thread:

travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30154
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is Apparition-Class Intruder in the archive? I looked everywhere I thought it might be, but I might have missed it.

A quick primer on the differences between MgT1e and 2e.

It was written by kind user for an earlier thread.

Does anyone know a way (software or otherwise) to keep track of ship/fleet movements across a solar system?

Preferably something with accurate travel times/position of planets. I know stuff like Celestia can do it but adding custom objects seems like a hassle.

Nope, I've not seen that one before, much less filed it.

Cruiser bump

System-edge to System-edge jumping is superior to Main World to Main World jumping, y/n?

Assuming M-drives are changed to compensate.
Either they are just more powerful in general or they become more efficient the further one is from a gravity well. To make intrasystem travel less painful, you know?

Main World to Main World is easier to facilitate a faster game narrative. Edge-to-edge makes it go by slower with a lot more 'spare time', assuming you do not screen wipe every time.

Though it mostly depends on your game style. If you are running something more Space Opera, then it is nice to have those Star Wars-esque 'exit hyperspace, bam, 3 star destroyers in front of you' scenes.

From the previous thread
>I wonder if every shipyard has been producing the same Beowulf class freetrader for the past few hundred years, or if every Beowulf has some minor differences from year to year and star system to star system but fundamentally all built using the same commodity TL12 hardware.
A little from column A and a little from column B.
Lots of ships that fit the "Type A Free Trader" specifications that will vary a lot on looks and layout across space and time. The "Beowulf-class Type A Free Trader" on the other hand, is a specific hull and layout.

Even 1G constant is damned fast, but system edge emergence should normally be kept for "just barely" jump navigation rolls and plot hooks. If your desired flavor of space opera is ship-to-ship, then you make jump emergence less accurate to force space travel time at destination. If you are more the Planetary Romance sort, 100 diameters to 100 diameters may be more to your liking.

I'm kinda fond of the idea of system-to-system, cause it lets you justify piracy as down-on-their luck belters deciding to turn a modified mining laser on inbound freighters.

I mean, traders could head to the inner system far out-of-plane, but that takes time, which eats into profits

Related: Jump Shadows in the Marches

travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30154

Some sectors have such massive stars that the main world is well inside the 100 diameter limit of their sun, with outliers like Menorb requiring a whopping 66 days of 1g travel to get in to the main world.

The upside of this is that you can have relatively isolated planets smack in the middle of a busy sector. Why bother M-driving to Bumfuck 4 when you could just keep on jumping one system further and get to Metropolis 3 in less than half the time?

As explained it all depends on the type of game you're running.

Are you using 100D jump limits? It's nearly 6 hours at 1gee to cross the jump limit for a size 8 world. There are 100D jump limits of stars too, plus jump masking and shadows.

Ships just don't pop in and out of jump space in orbit.

>>Lots of ships that fit the "Type A Free Trader" specifications that will vary a lot on looks and layout across space and time. The "Beowulf-class Type A Free Trader" on the other hand, is a specific hull and layout.

Agreed. While there are plenty of jump1, one gee, 200 dTon, "Type A Free Trader" designs, it's a specific internal layout that makes it a "Beowulf".

>100 diameters
Is there a reason that the size of the object matters more than its mass?

Simplicity for referees, I suppose.

Ask you're mom

>I'm kinda fond of the idea of system-to-system, cause it lets you justify piracy as down-on-their luck belters deciding to turn a modified mining laser on inbound freighters.

Have you put any thought into the size of the vector those inbound freighters will have traveling from system "edge" to the mainworld? They aren't just moseying along.

Also, stellar jump limits, jump shadows, and jump masking can impose lengthy in-system trips without having ships exit jump at the system's "edge".

Look at Far Trader in the GURPS folder of the archive for a quick explanation.

>Is there a reason that the size of the object matters more than its mass?

The reason is because Mr. Miller says so. Seriously.

For decades, people have tinkered with mass formulas, tidal formulas, density formulas, solar wind formulas, you name it for jump limits and Mr. Miller has shot it all down.

It's dimension based, you have to trust him, and that's all he'll say.

I've been wanting to run a game set in the Elite Dangerous world
Mainly focused on ship combat.
Would traveller work for this?

Elite and Traveller have been woven together from the start
>It was thought that much of the game's content was derived from the Traveller tabletop role-playing game, including the default commander name Jameson,[24][28] but David Braben has denied this several times.[19]
So it's literally the perfect system for it

Check Orbital setting for Traveller.