Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How do you roleplay cute, non-European-themed spellcasters in Pathfinder? Shrine maidens, onmyōji, animistic shamans of the Americas, medicine men, witch doctors, vedic psionicists...

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/medium/archetypes/paizo-llc-medium-archetypes/kami-medium-medium-archetype/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70319/of-dragons-and-men-dot-dot-dot-and-more-dragons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I HATE MAGIC
that is all

Never played a cute pure caster of any kind. Closest was a paladin sorceress way back in the day, but she fought niggas with a greatsword.

>How do you roleplay, non-European-themed spellcasters in Pathfinder?

In the past I have played a few of these, including an onmyōji, native american shaman, and voodoo witch doctor.

Their alignments were, in order, LE, NE, and CE.

The shaman was one of my favorites as his entire theme was that of an apex predator. He was a hunter and consumer of life, his lot being that to destroy because he was strong.

Fire Emblem characters seem like such a mixed bag when it comes to whether or not we could build one, some seem incredibly easy and others seem almost impossible.

None, because I'm not a fucking weeaboo you faggot.

Hey, me.

>witch doctors and native american shamans are weeaboo

Why are miko so cute and why aren't they in Pathf-

Wait.

Miko.

Ameiko.

Her name is pronounced "Ah-Miko."

"A Miko."

>cute
Not even relevant.
>non-European-themed
Pathfinder spellcasters aren't even European themed, they're all still bound to Jack Vance's work. Use an alternate magic system and suddenly they can be fluffed however you want.

I thought it was ah-MAY-ko or AH-may-ko

WELL... If you have something use the ofuda mechanic from that one medium archetype, it would work well with prepared casting. Spontaneous too I guess.

You're GMing a gestalt game, someone applies with a Fighter/Skirmisher Ranger and says they're not planning on taking any Su abilities.

How do you respond?

Anti-Mage please go.

I think he's talking about the OP pic.

>assassin game is actually happening
well i'll be fucked

So what are you doing here?

I've always wanted to play something using ofudas or mantras, maybe a buddhist monk. The problem is I would have to research them more because I know only bits and pieces about them.

Is their character concept good?

If so, let them in! What's the worst that could happen?

Really, it depends on if they're a lord or just a popular character; Lords are notoriously-difficult to create because their statlines are unique, and thus fill a role that isn't easily imitated. However, you can get away with some of them.
>Sigurd: High point-buy Cavalier with a legendary weapon that grants Spell Resistance
>Seliph: Paladin, gains the same weapon as Sigurd
>Hector: Warder
>Lyn: Unchained Rogue with an Elven Curve Sword
>Robin: Talented Tactician Vigilante (thanks N.Jolly)

"Go ahead", Fighter can be pretty good nowadays with Advanced Weapon Training and Skirmishers aren't too bad on their own, plus it gives them some much-appreciated damage buffs with Favored Enemy.

>DHB BTFO AGAIN
AHAHAHA

>UNrogue for Lyn
>Not a Bushi Stalker

nani?

Oooh, forgot that Bushi Stalker was a thing, since most of the time it's paired with Brutal Slayer. That's probably a better thing for her yeah.

>The problem is I would have to research them more because I know only bits and pieces about them.

Worry not. Japanese video games and anime hardly know what ofudas and talismans are supposed to be for, let alone what mikos are supposed to do. You should be just fine with the superficial trappings!

>paired with Brutal Slayer
>missing how it's also paired onto Vigilante Stalkers as well

nigga it's on EVERY Stalker, because there's no real reason to NOT use it if you can.

Hey guys. I was thinking about what I wanted to do for my app on Dragongame 2.0: Ellipses.

Anyways, I was wondering, does PoW do anything to make Sword & Board less of a complete mess? I was hoping to try the playstyle out, but at the moment it'd require me to sacrifice a good majority of feats to make it work.

>doesn't stack with Judge
It's shit.

Sword and board gets BTFO by OD/ZS.

Anyone remember when Elric, the OD's writer, was swearing up and down that OD WASN'T a strict upgrade from the regular warder because "B-B-But I like my smart bruisers!"?

>Hector
>Warder
>The man specifically noted as being a danger to his allies due to how wildly he swings his axe around.

Iron Tortoise Style, plus Prodigious TWF offers some nice tricks, although desu it's still better to just go straight ZS Warder (Confirmed armament shield gets the same enhancements as weapon, and can TWF with it-and can still take the IT style feats to work with those).

You're saving on power attack and two of the TWFs already, which helps. Defensive Expertise will help what the shield grants you, and other than this consider what iron tortoise can offer you.

You're choosing a less optimized *start*, but all the things you'd do to boost damage without a shield can still be done with one, even if strength and power attack's static bonuses are lower.

Get your weapon to count as bigger (I suggest starting with powerful build so the sword is large in the first place too), get a small extra bit of damage from the cheap or free shield-bashes you can obtain, and you'll certainly be viable: PoW does allow you to do proper damage even when you're not a ragepounce barbarian. You won't do 1600DPR at 12th, but you don't need to anyways.

Wait, so you're saying my +3 spear counts as a +3 shield?

Take Scarlet Throne Style to boost PA into two-handed levels.

You are right and I would not go for autistic obsession with details and faithfulness to the source material. I just feel I would need to familiarize myself with the archetype and its trappings better.

I swear, there will be a day when I get to play her.

As an example that involves VERY little work:

Large longsword (1d8>2d6), using an ability that makes it count as one size larger (there's many: 2d6>3d6) we'll say it's +3 at level 8. Say you're a Myrmidon with weapon training +1 (gloves make this +3), you have 20 strength (+5), power attack is at -3/+6 as of this level, and from your stances or whatnot you've got a +1d6.

So you're already at 2 swings; 3 with haste. Each is already doing at least 3d6+17+1d6. We're at 93 damage. Your average 3 hit damage, before even considering criticals (and that's 19-20/x2 base and misses, is just a meager 2 points short of killing equal CR enemies (their median HP).

If it's a discipline focus feat weapon, you've just cleared that threshold too and are probably capable of dealing with CR+1s with ease when actually expending maneuvers, CR+2s in some cases even!

And that's JUST the sword. Your +2 heavy shield over there with defensive expertise is adding 2 to your reflex saves and actually applies its AC to your touch. We haven't even bashed with the thing yet.

Put on that shield-boss built for breaking splash weapons with on a bash; set a grenade in there. BOOM!

But you would be even stronger with a Large lucene hammer going to 3d6...

>I swear, there will be a day when I get to play her.

You want to play a battle maid in high heels? What are you, some pervert?

How was your session today, /pfg/? >pic related

>New SE Dragon Game doesn't line up well with my schedule, with both potential dates

I just wanna be a royal Dragon Man looking for a suitable bride dammit.

Just created an angry cute little dragon girl for the new Of Dragons and Humans, an angry little white dragon girl who wishes she was a great big dragon girl like everyone else! Please do give it a read and let me know what you think, I was too nervous to post characters for any of the other games but I've resolved to try it and see how it goes.

Pic unrelated, still trying to hunt down something usable for character art.

>user?
>Yeah?
>I don't think this session can get any worse!
>Nonsense!
>NO user

Use that for character art, because she's a BAKENEKO!

Everyone can be a Bakeneko!

FAT
CAT
TATS

>beefy chest Chen

more please

Bakeneko seriously needs to have a note that it cannot be taken by anyone without the catfolk subtype via adopted except for tieflings/aasimar

Yes?

You actually posted my OC.
You mad man.

Power Attack without Furious Focus, my man. He can't be a Barbarian because he's got heavy armor, although I suppose a plain old Fighter tricked out to the gills to do amazing killing would also work.

Are meta magic feats worthwhile for clerics when you just buy rods for it anyway?

Those are very tiny cat tats!

>that
>Orin
>not Chen

I feel that. The barbarian got literally ripped in half for trying to solo the boss while the fighter and EVERYONE else in the party delt with the 4-5 lackeys.

How can I play a kitsune ofudamancer?

What are these, titties for ants?

Yes! Though probably not as big as some people here. Maids are great and battle maid are even better.

Those are very nice 2hus.

Itty bitty kitty titties!

Ask your DM if you can use the Ofuda casting of this archetype to replace your normal casting by spending a trait/feat instead of a level dip.
d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/medium/archetypes/paizo-llc-medium-archetypes/kami-medium-medium-archetype/

Alternatively: Spheres of Power with drawbacks

That's basically it. Hector's got zero formal training whatsoever, his self-teaching extending mostly to 'hit them really hard.'

Why even be nervous?

I wrote "Rimmer the magic bazookoid" and got into a game.

You're up against some of the dumbest the internet has to offer. You're facing off against people whom in some cases can't even figure out whether they're in first or third person. People who will actually state in their character description "oh hey, listen. I know you THINK you understand, but you don't know what is like. You should ban those applying with it. I understand your misgivings but I've been doing this for years, so you can trust my far greater experience in games". People whose entire storyline amounts to "she used to fuck guys but got knocked up so now she fucks girls" and who needed six paragraphs to do so. People whose level 1 background includes three decades of having fought, then led-from-the-front wars against all demonkind, and their character's still actually 17. People whose character appearance description has four eye colors, eight hair colors, two turtledoves and a partridge in a pear tree.

This is the internet, user. When we reached the bottom of the barrel, we built a fucking drill-tank. If you can at least know the difference between "to" and "two" and "too", you can probably top half the apps to any game.

I dunno, it's partly also just because I'm going to be under the scrutinizing eye of Veeky Forums so I feel a little 'in the spotlight' as it were.

I mean, anything can be reduced down to sounding if you try. My character is basically, "Idiot loli is mad that she's not got any tits."

I wouldn't go quite that far--most of the /pfg/ gestalt games have actually had a pretty good turnout, a few randos aside.

>didn't get picked for a game I really wanted to play in
>someone who I really wanted to play with did get picked

How do I cope?

Alcohol and masturbation always works for me.

You don't, and brace yourself for tomorrow if you've applied to WotR.

Just apply for other games and move on.

AND THAT'S STILL BETTER THAN SOME OF THE APPS WE'VE SEEN ON THERE.

In fact my whole point was that in some of these cases, it's not even a reduction in the least. Some of these folks are *just that bad*

So what have you to lose?

I'M SO FUCKING BRACED

Nah, I'm really not into mythic.

Well the ones that get picked are often pretty decent yes.

Just that when you see a pile of 32 applicants to a game, it's not the doomsday one may think it is.

Ive been running my first game as GM for a while now. Ive been running serpents skull, and fuck me if his dosnt seem like a cluster fuck of an adventure path. After the first 2 books I went to see what other people though and it seems to be one of the least well revived paths pizo made. So I've decided to revamp the whole fucking thing, and its been running a lot smoother, since I dont have to worry about fucking something up in a later book. Ive been using savanth-yhi as a bit of a testing play ground. The PC's have fought off a few snek hit squads. Ive been thinking of having the sneks make whats essentially their own adventuring party to try and snuff out the pcs. Though it would probably be a pain in the ass to run combat for. Thoughts? Also whats a good way of trolling am AC lord fighter with an AC 23ish to 30? Hes fun to fuck with because if the solution to something isint 'I cleave with my great sword" or the PCs have to fight anything that flys he throws a shit fit and just kind of shuts down like some passive aggressive little bitch.

Contact them and do a little one on one play?

Was it a game from here? Which one?

Can someone link the new dragon's game?

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70319/of-dragons-and-men-dot-dot-dot-and-more-dragons

Remember to make a cute husbando for Team Husband!

I guess I'll go with some combination of these two.

Yeah. It was that traveling assassin game, that's all I'm saying.

>green dragons
>-2 int
the fuck?

No, we cannot have more competition, hissssss.

>No, we cannot have more competition, hissssss.

You've got two weeks of competition, and I've got a concept that will throb more hearts than any previously posted!

Muahahaha!

Gonna have to throb more than hearts, user.

It's not competition if we seduce them all.

Occultist (Talisman Crafter)

I was more thinking along the lines of wyvern riders and pegasus riders for the "near impossible to replicate" bit, and lord knows what to do with the furbait from the most recent games.

Can Gobos be cute husbands? On the off chance that Eagle sees this, would it be possible for a Goblin to have been brought in alongside Kobolds?

More than just the heart tends to throb when you're toughest muscle starts to tighten.

I'm so fucking excited to see WotR results. A month and a half, something in the range of 20 applications will be rejected after the incompletion cuts. I don't care who gets in, I'm here to see who doesn't.

Thanks all, for the advice. I'll see what I can do, but it's good to know that I won't be miles behind everybody else if I go that route.

Looks like there's hope yet for my Caydenite warpriest who knocked up a chick in the demesne and has slowly adjusted to his new family-man lifestyle.

Aww man don't say stuff like that, my fragile heart already can't handle the pressure of applying to one of these games.

But user, what if I want to get in alongside you so I can steal your heart, or help it connect with another?

This. Don't even be too formal about it, just let 'em know you think they're cool and that you'd like to set up something.

So how bad an idea is it to make a Springheeled style based swashbuckler with snap shot and combat reflexes to turn enemies into Swiss cheese if they try to move around me while I take potshots at them?

Hmm i need to come up with a space/astronomy themed artifact for a wizard in my game but I have no idea where to start, never actually made an artifact before.

So far I'm thinking that it will be a staff that as a standard action you can plant on the ground and look through the gem at the top and it functions as a telescope with a +10 bonus to Knowledge (Geography) when identifying constellations and celestial bodies.

I want it to have some bonuses in combat as well though, but I'm not sure where to go, like just give it a small spell list and 10 charges recharging 2/day or giving the wielder bonuses when they are under the night sky or something.

Any ideas or existing items i can rip inspiration from?

why is this general and ruleset associated with gay ERPing weeaboos?

Hey, I take offense to that! We're not all weeaboos!

Shamelessly steal the Starburst effect from Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos.

The staff can rip open a portal in space-time, revealing a miniature cluster of stars that launch powerful rays of energy at the enemy.

So you know those instant fortresses? Replace Fortress with observatory.

Well, we're not *always* weeaboos and I'd say we're mostly straight.

ERP, however? Yeah. Guilty as charged.

I know. That's why I'm wondering why this place is widely considered that way by the rest of the board.

Just put in my app for shittier Atolm for Dragons 2. I'm not really cute or a martial, so I don't foresee getting in. Tear my shit up, senpaitachi.

Because they find likeminded people here and then go off on a tangent and people try to ignore them instead of reeing them out on the spot or they (the gay ERPing weeaboos) simply ignore the ree'ers. After this other people notice that these people are a thing and then as with all they will label the whole barrel rotten because there's a few pears in the mix.

Welp, it's been a couple of threads since my last post, and even if I'm a bit nervous about doing so on the heels of Eagle announcing YET ANOTHER session (he actually did it the absolute madman!) I'm still letting everyone here know about my session if you still want to play something draconic but also want to walk on two legs. You should also apply if you're looking to play a younger character, and keep in mind that the time listed may not be the time I end up finalizing for our sessions! My schedule is flexible and will depend largely on when the majority of you that I want to take on are available.

I already have a couple of people that have sent me their characters through Discord and then locked in their submissions in the forums, so get yours in now.

>Tear my shit up, senpaitachi

You're not cute or a fighter! You are silly!

Bully the nerd! Bully the nerd! Bully the nerd!