MTG EDH/Commander General

Old Thread:
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
What commander do you love to play but hate to play against?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-17-esper-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chance-encounter-4/
google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/bootlegmtg/comments/4byodf/villa_zheng_on_aliexpress
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zurgos-weapons-of-mass-destruction-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-10-16-marchesa-the-black-rose/#
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-17-captain-sisay/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know about busted but green eldrazi would be very strong. Blue nukozilek control would be very fun.

Probably, yeah. Azusa eldrazis is a deck, afterall. Just keep the identity rules as is, it would be a bad idea anyway, just like that one youtube faggot who thinks that Mox Opal and Mox Ruby should be unbanned but only for monocoloured decks.

>Thread Question
I've never seen the same commander between two different people in my meta, it's a pretty big meta. That said, the most unfun I've ever played in that meta was a Derevi turbofog deck. Turbofog's fine, but it doesn't do anything if you don't attack your opponent.

>What commander you love to play but hate to play against?
Probably Ghave, because every deck I've played against have seemed to be absolutely shafted in terms of deckbuilding. The people seem to be going for weird ass builds with no synergy in between cards outside of few cards that interact somehow with tokens or saprolings.
That said, I run him as spikey combo deck.

Other than him, he's pretty much only commander I play that someone else has played against me, although there is also Gitfrog, Thelon and Derevi. I don't even run that many underplayed commanders

>What commander do you love to play but hate to play against?
Yidris
The turns, they are so long

>Mox Opal being banned
You gave me a small heart attack before I checked to ensure you mispoke, nigger

The youtube guy sounds like a fucking retard going beyond the call of duty

help with a deck build? my only thoughts in putting the list together were esper and shit that sounded funny

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-17-esper-deck/

Chinamen just came through, what do I build with my newly acquired Pact, Force and Consecrated Sphinx?

Baral.

What have people's experiences been with land focused commanders? I've been thinking about building a deck that abuses lands in some way but am having trouble settling on a choice. I initially thought I'd do either Omnath, locus of rage or Borborygmos enraged, but then cards like the gitrog frog and knight of the reliquary look appealing too. I toyed with the idea of dune-brood colors or going full retard with five colors but I'm guessing that won't be as good as staying more focused on less colors.

He is awful.

where can I get based chinaman fakes? asking for a friend

Green kozi would be great, I would love all the additional ramp and the ability to deal with enchantments and artifacts more.

Omnath, Locus of Rage is a very good lands commander. 5/5s that cast lightning bolt when they die is excellent. The only time Omnath is bad is when the builder is stupid, like one guy at my LGS who made an omnath deck with two ramp spells and a bunch of vanilla fatties for no apparent reason.

Fuck, man, I dunno. I'm just trying to suggest new cards. Feel free to play Azami combo instead, if that's more your thing.

> What commander do you love to play but hate to play against?

Oloro
My group hug/group slug deck for him is awesome bribing back stabbing fun but placing against him (or any Esper commander) is just oppressive levels of control

(Yes I'm well aware i'm a hypocrite)

In multiplayer it will get you focused like hell for having the msot land but as long as your able to resist the urge to dump your hand as soon as possible you'll be fine

expect to get attack a lot though

This man is right with Omnath Locus of Rage

You really don't need additional ramp besides colorless, colorless ramp is far stronger and faster than green ramp could ever be, it's just more vulnerable. Asuza works because she's cheap and repeatable, but green ramp spells generally suck when you're only trying to play colorless creatures.

Really, the only color that's any good at the helm of an eldrazi deck (besides asuza) is blue for the card draw. Jin-Gitaxias does a great job (and is hilarious to drop turn 3).

Leovold for smug

What's the best commander for birb tribal?

Sen triplets, play your opponents birds. Also in the lore they raise etherium chickens to feed espers starving masses.

Unglued Chicken Tribal

Pre-Alpha version

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chance-encounter-4/

this will be bad.

google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/bootlegmtg/comments/4byodf/villa_zheng_on_aliexpress only thing I found when i looked him up.

My playgroup is gonna let me run pic related as a commander. How do I build for this thing?

Is it dickish to use the "if you're at 40/50 life in the beginning of your upkeep, you win lmao" cards in a durdly controlly lifegain deck? I don't have that many other ways of winning so I figured it'd be fine.

But then again it's not fun when I hit a god hand and can cast a felidar sovereign on turn 3 or something. I usually just don't cast it that early even if i can because it just seems dickish, but how do you guys feel about the subject?

Tons of ramp and pillows

Voltron assuming they count damage from the land as commander damage and lots of ramp to replace lands that get got

depends on the playgroup.

i haven't played it in my real playgroup but the peeps on xmage seem to get a bit mad whenever i throw one out, like it's on the level of infinite combo. but then it tends to get removed anyway. i don't know how my irl group would react

it would be my 5th deck though, so i wouldn't be memeing with those spells all the time. i could also just "scoop" witth the trigger on the stack if it doesn't get removed, like if the board state is otherwise especially interesting

Titania is fucking wild and it's so much fun. My friend let me use his deck and I've been enamored with it ever since. Only downside is I can't use the same Valakut package that I use in Wort

Thoughts on this card? I was looking at putting Teeg Hatebears together and this looked solid

I'm thinking of making an Azorius themed commander deck, are there any preconstructed/intro packs I should try to pick up? Or should I just buy individual cards?

don't buy a precon unless you're certain you're playing against other precons or similarly bad decks

buy singles

uw is pretty strong in edh, especially stuff like flicker and stax

godspeed

I'm pretty sure his question was "are there specific Azorius precons I should buy for this purpose, or is it easier to just buy all the singles one at a time"

Is it fine to use Reservoir instead of Walking Ballista for my Arcum Daggson? Staff of Domination gains life too, and ballista is kinda expensive right now.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zurgos-weapons-of-mass-destruction-1/

So I think I want to add in some more tutoring effects, and the cards I'm looking at are stonehewer giant and liliana vess. But I already have a decent amount of 5 drops and I'm not sure what I would take out for the two of them, or if they're really necessary

building Sasaya becase god damn my cards suck and i'm poor as fuck

I would say Blind Obedience/Thalia 2.0 might be better since it only affects oppopnents

This, but in the end I'm not surprised to hear precons are useless. Odds are I can buy all the stuff I need for less than the price of one of those things.

Yeah, the precons very rarely have internal value exceeding their MSRP, so its' cheaper to just buy the singles. Especially since the precons are gonna have duplicates that are useless to you.

yeah dog, always wait for expensive standard cards to tank or rotate

My dude, absolutely. I waited for Hangarback Walker to rotate out and now it's nearly worthless.

Ok, thanks. I still don't get why it's the standard wincon of the deck, since you can even search for it with Arcum, and it's not a creature. At least now I can wreck nerds with 3 Arcum activations

Aliexpress obviously.

I just picked up Hangarback for my Vorel EDH. Fucking godlike card, so easy to abuse, and in my meta, tons of boardwipes means hes going to get busy quick.

Any advice for how to make a deck with this guy as a commander? I already have a bunch of white angel cards sitting around from old white/red decks.

Although the card he posted has the advantage of costing one mana. In a christmas scenario, it'll work wonders being casted as the 1st player in the 1st turn.
I think it's ok if you want to have multiple copies of cards with the same ability. But keep in mind it also affects you so be careful. If you already have experience using cards like winter orb, then i would definitely add it.

>white angel cards
Fuck dude just concede every game on advance.

Voltron? Skies tokens? Mother May I?

Does damage from Traft's angel waifu count as commander damage?

No.

>build Zurgo Headhunter
>making people unreasonably salty
This is so much fun.

Eldrazi?
pssh kid, play a real man's colorless deck.
OG Kozilek is almost as good, and newlamog is good too. Oldmog, Newzilek, and Newmrakul are varying levels of trash. Hope is ok.

Sea Monsters

Good flavor there

this is such a dumb meme but I can't get mad at it

I have a big commander tournament tomorrow please help what is good for this commander

The punchline was good but your joke needed some buildup.

google
edhrec if that fails you

I just double sleeved my deck, and now it doesn't fit in my old deckbox. Any recommendations? I want something solid, like a Satin tower.

Lol I have a shit ton of counter spells

then get one

angels and tokens, assloads of flying, ETB abuse, crouching Geist hidden Brago, control with beatsticks

Having some real trouble figuring out what my next step(s) are with EDH deckbuilding. Additionally, the LGS in my town is closing down this weekend, so I'm wondering if I'll actually want to take any of these steps anyway.

The options in general are as follows:
1. Build more decks. I've got a fuckton of commanders and a few directions it can go, especially after picking up some Partners from the LGS.
2. Build more decks, but cut old decks at a 2:1, 1:1, or 1:2 rate. I've got 13 of the fuckers, my resources are spread really fucking thin. If I cut the weaker decks, I can probably salvage a few good cards out of them for the new builds, especially if I'm cutting two for every new brew, but I built those decks for a reason, even if they are pretty weak. Some of those commanders are still fun, even at a bottom-of-the-barrel power level.
3. Cut decks before building anything. The one I'm least motivated overall to do, but it could work out for the better- I'd get to look at my card pool more than my potential commanders.

As for those commanders...

Frozen AEther as well.

Are double sleeves just... two sleeves or is it a specific sleeve?
What's wrong with single sleeves?

>order an 8th edition grave pact from tcgplayer
>receive it today but its stronghold art

Gonna send it back and report the issuue, has anyone else had a similar problem?

If i wanna play UG or UGx colour combination, what commander would be the most fun "Midrange" kind of style?

Ignore the "Brewing" section for now.

Decks that are likely to come apart if that happens:
Zurgo:
>Not because I don't want to run him, but because I want some time to rebuild the deck around a different theme. Chaos, damage-doubling, and vehicles, it's not that great but no one expects to eat 12 off of a vehicle after board wiping because Zurgo was in the hand.

>Mimeoplasm
I haven't even looked at this deck in so long. One of my first, has a lot of good stuff, heavy UG... I dunno. I still really love the Mime, but he's just not doing it for me anymore.

>Hixus
He's only around for being monowhite. I could absorb him into a deck that contains white instead.

As for my potential commanders, well. I've got plenty. For now, I'll just talk about the Partners, as they're my most recent purchase.

Tana, Sidar, Tymna, Ludevic, Reyhan, Ikra. Of those, the combos I'm thinking on:
Tana + Sidar : Basic strategy, probably one of the better pairs. Naya weenies and tokens, plus a few big beatsticks thrown in here and there to stabilize when neither commander is up.
Sidar + Tymna : I really want an Abzan commander deck, and this one seems pretty good.
Tana + Reyhan: The one I originally thought to make during spoiler season, and Jund is another really good place for a Partner deck instead of a traditional commander, but I have Sidar so there's better options.
Ikra + Tymna: Life gain, life loss. Ikra might actually be a bit bad, but I still picked her up for completionist's sake.
Ikra + Sidar. Big budget butts.

Satin tower is good, if you want something solid get that. It's beefier than all the fabric ones (like the faux leather ultra pros or ultimate guards, the fabric is just covering cardboard). And I like them better than the ultimate guard monolith, which is it's closest competition.

Past that you can look around for Kickstarter or small companies, I know there are some that do metal and wood, but expect to pay $40+ for a box then.

Anybody want to tell me what I should take out of my marchesa deck ( tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-10-16-marchesa-the-black-rose/# ) to make room for Jokulhaups?

My group was very against land destruction, (they still might be, but mass land destruction is happening every other game now so I might as well get in that party bus too)

Black border > white border anyway

Nah. Where'd you buy from?

Black border at all times anyway, unless it was never printed in black border

What is it that bothers people about white bordered cards? It is some kind of retard thing?

Look up perfect fits, there are special sleeves made for this purpose. They are good because if you are walking around with a $2k deck, you don't want it ruined when some jackass spills a drink. They also stop dirt and dust from getting at the top of your cards.

It's not that ridiculous compared to quadruple sleeving.

It's like wearing mismatched socks

Personally I like all black borders except for my ABUR duals so I can find them quickly when I crack a fetch. Other than that white borders are ugly compared to black borders, and every white border card is a reprint, and so should inherently be less valuable.

ChannelFireball through tcgplayer. I just liked the 8th edition art more

So it bothers retards.

If by retard you mean anyone with an iota of aesthetic taste than ye

If you get bothered because of the card being white bordered rather than any errata on the card, yes you are retard.

So what's the best way to convince your friends to not bring decks that cost thousands of dollars to your kitchen table?

Mono decks only? Commons only (with the exception of the commander)?

Everyone knows what Grave Pact does not to mention there were 4 other printings in black-border and with errata

Have you tried asking them?

>everyone knows what Grave Pact does

Guy in my group who has been playing since 2005 still asks what naturalize does when its played

>Godo deck gets untouched for 6 full turns
>people get salty when I start one-shotting with an 11/11 unblockable double strike trampler

Niggas always sleep on mono-red

That won't work. Almost all of them have pseudo-competitive personalities. If they suspect something is up, they'll start bitching. I can't outright say "don't bring that deck again" to any of them (despite some of their cards being genuinely unfun to play against) because they'd assume I'm playing favorites. Instead, I'd rather house rule something to keep everyone around the same power level.

It's that or I start allowing proxies and the moment I do that EDH will be dead to me.

>Almost all of them have pseudo-competitive personalities
Read: "my group is full of autist Spikes"

Fuck them. Set limits.

Refer to

>At least now I can wreck nerds with 3 Arcum activations
You could do that before with Disk + Forge + Lattice

Start with a price limit. You're dealing with autistic spikes, so make sure it's themed competitively. If you do it right, not only can you get them all to start shaving off the power, you'll be able to convince them that a personal banlist is actually smart.

Assuming they're not full-blown autists, which might be a bit of an assumption.

Water can get in through the top. Idouble sleeve my main deck and milk got spilled on it without having a single card get damaged.

Is Ixidron an asshole card?

Okay ladies
I'm pretty happy with how this deck looks and I'm really excited to test it out and play it
I can definitely see it needing some more work but for right now, I really want to add Recruiter, what should I cut?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-17-captain-sisay/

I ran Ixidron in my Kami of the Crescent Moon Eldrazi deck. Never felt like casting it but then some retard wanted to run Oath of Druids and the first thing I flipped was Ixidron. Next turn hit Ulamog and that's how the game ended.

Moral of the story is only retards get fucked by Ixidron.

Fuck you, i want a sisay deck

But, i feel like you're too spread out, what's the point of those midrange minions?
Also no gaea's cradle? Or elesh norn to kill lands with kamahl or that other enchantment?

I am going to say right off that price isnt the problem, and if you think it is you are being retarded. Especially because EDH has close to 0 impact on the price of a card compared to other formats.

Second off most of the overwhelmingly broken shit is dirt cheap. When you ban pricy shit you hurt people that want to run Angus McKenzie much more than you hurt people that run Doomsday. Finally you have to deal with the fact that PRICES ARENT FIXED. What are you going to do, have people dismantle decks when a cards value because it becomes a staple in modern after someone finds a combo? What about busted cards that get banned in another format (dropping the price), is it suddenly OK to run them now even if nothing changed for EDH? If somebody gets a good deal on a card worth 10x more can they play it? And finally who determines the value of a card in the first place?

If you can't build a cheap competitive deck (it's pretty easy to do, almost all competitive win cons are cheap, it's manabases that get expensive. Yisan is a good example of a dirt cheap very competitive deck). Then maybe you should convince everyone to build tribal. Other than wizard tribal all of them are weak and combat based, and you can probably get the type of play you want even if some guy can afford cavern of souls.

No, its a bad blue boardwipe.

I kinda like it because it can mess with peoples commanders and things out of there yard for an extra turn or two. only time it is real bad is against flicker effects

I just try turn them into a land or bounce them.

Less powerful Narset with more focus on control

Well my group isn't really too competitive at all so I don't wanna go full cocksucker
Even though I probably should
Elesh Norn is probably going to go in eventually but right now the one I have is in a B/W EDH deck
Also, Gaia's Cradle is too expensive for me to splurge at this point in time so I'm a little hesitant