/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Good Feels Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.
Has Dungeons and Dragons improved your life?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B4jAv0Wgv9taQ29RZUJiekRXMWc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> Has Dungeons and Dragons improved your life?
No, but it's a great tool of escapism.

Reminder DO NOT FUCKING MULTICLASS WITH UA SHIT unless you are prepared to break 5e.

Actually yes, in the last year I have made at least 2 good friends I met through joining a D&D group.

> DO NOT FUCKING MULTICLASS
Fixed

I'm going to multiclass into undying light lock and you can't stop me

Nice edit, user.

DO NOT FUCKING HAVE FUN

I'd say yes.
DMing gives me a creative outlet and has improved my public speaking, which I've found useful when I'm making presentations.

What about going full into a UA class? Can I be a Forge Cleric without breaking everything?

I tried to introduce a recurring villain in my session today - a snobby female elf astronomer illusionist wizard. But I think I just made her come off as boring and uninteresting.

How do you get into the "I'm a superior elf and you're just dirt under my shoes" mindset?

Undead-user here

Figured out a way to pad the second page: put in rules for characters to become Soulbound!

Anyone up to play some skellingtons?

Read a shitty homebrew like while you GM and imagine the player is the person who wrote it.

Stop shilling your homebrew.

14th for bard is the best thing since slice bread

I think what he means is they don't test UA for multiclassing potential, that comes later.
So a single-classed character is what it's balanced around.

Cripes that is fucking bad.

Rude, but whatever.

Aight.

Tho...
>shilling

Whatever, I do this shit for fun anyway.

Aight. Thanks for the useful input.

Watch some femdom

Don't go "snobby aristocrat" racist. Go full /pol/.

WATCH ME
>Takes 1 level in artifcer, gunsmith
>Everything else in kensei monk with gun as monk weapon

Sorry, I shall try to be more constructive this time. You should delete every copy you have of this homebrew and then never try and make one ever again. That is the best way I see to improve on its current form.

>sorry
cuck

k

Sup guys, quick servey what is your favourite official prewritten adventure for 5e so far, my group just finished lost mines of phandelvar and had a great time and now we're looking for another book. Cheers in advance.

what color do you guys like to use for token borders?

If you guys want to play the same characters, you can segue straight from the end of Lost Mine into Chapter 2 of Storm King's Thunder.
It's my favourite of the more traditional 5e adventures (CoS is great but it's not what most people think when they think D&D).

I use a Photoshop template that adds a bevel instead.

Black, usually.
I tend to use figures for PCs, but if I didn't I'd probably give the PCs a coloured border, probably red, blue or green.
Metallic colours can sometimes be done nicely.
Looking back this post isn't very helpful.

Curse of Strahd is the best. It has this sandboxey feel, but it's also really focused. Barovia is small, but there's a lot to do in there.
Keep in mind that for maximum perfect experience, you have to make some changes to the module depending on how the group handles it. For example
My group nearly ignored lady Wachter and vistani, so near the end, when Strahd got really angry and desperate, he commanded them to attack Vallaki. I buffed Wachter pretty heavily (took warlock of the fiend stats from Volo), gave her powerful minions, and then the party essentially had to fight off a massive terrorist attack from within, and also a vistani invasion from without.

Also, you should let your party visit Castle Ravenloft early and get out alive. Maybe have them dinner with Strahd.

I haven't played any others, but I got into a Curse of Strahd game and it's pretty neat. Probably something a little different, with all the spoopy things going on, but all in all the encounters have been fun (We're currently in Amber Temple) and there have been some great roleplaying opportunities.

I, for one, made a deal with Zantras to get +4 to Charisma. I'm a Warlock so it works pretty well, and having 22 Cha at level 8 is pretty damn neato. The flaw I had to take for it wasn't too bad, and it advances my character so why not.

Black

>Ghost Punchbarian w/ Tavern Brawler
Yo Baron, I can dig it.

I think a big problem with CoS is it's presented as a sandbox but only really works if you follow a fairly linear progression.
Like yes there are a lot of areas but going to most of them at the long time will just kill you.
I find SKT has a better sandbox design.
You can actually skip the whole Harshnag & the Eye of the All-Father section if you do certain things, which is interesting.

Gonna be starting my first game in months tonight. I'm pretty sure the dm is running a monty hall, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Planning on playing a paladin and one of the other players confirmed for dick bag rogue that guy. Any advice?

Here's a good way of looking at it

Forge Cleric grants you some features that boost AC. If it still gives AC at level 6, it gives a possible +2 AC over your shield and plate armour, not to mention cleric spells that can boost AC.

If you start multiclassing with it, you can start picking up features like a fighting style for +1 AC, or you can use a non-core race such as warforged in order to stack AC. Then pick up bladesinger. And so forth until you have ridiculous AC.

However, if you stay single-classed, you won't be able to abuse that so heavily.

As a general thing, multiclassing with UA is fine if you're not trying to abuse, say, revised ranger being frontloaded or magic missiles from wizard to work with twilight druid.

/5eg/ help me figure out a power for my wild magic sorcerer

The theme i'm going for is power with a price. Like for my Fighter i'm thinking about an ability that gives an improved dodge for a round in exchange for a level of exhaustion.

Problem is I can't figure out something for my Sorcerer that isn't lame.

His goals are that he want's to discover the origins of his strange powers. My reason for his powers is that he's a interplanar tear that leads to the elemental plane of chaos..

Anyone have any ideas on a useful power that can be thematically tied to that?

I was thinking of something like triggering a wild surge to recover sorcery points, but that's kinda meh.

Don't play a Devotion or Crown Paladin.
Maybe just play a fighter.
Alternatively, try and get the DM to talk to him.

It works, if you either:
1) Adjust enemies depending on party's level.
2) Subtly guide the party.

I did both. For example, when my party reached the level when Izek wasn't even a speedbump, but he was still supposed to be a threat narratively, I buffed him and gave him legendary actions.
But also, generally NPCs complained about their problems (werewolves stole my child!) only when it was appropriate for the party to handle the threat.
Except for Yester Hill. I went full nazi there, no mercy.

Why are you writing homebrew for yourself, and why do you have multiple characters?

Was planning on a NG Oath of the Ancients paladin actually. Also said player is married to the dm, so if it comes down to me or them I'm pretty sure the dm will side with them.

What about the witches early on?
Most players will want to fight them, and it's still difficult even if you make all of them Green.

I'm the DM those characters are my players

Okay, so let's take this one step at a time, making an undead mountain dwarf barbarian. He'll be using the standard array, giving him the following stats:

STR: 13
DEX: 14
CON: 15
INT: 10
WIS: 8
CHA: 12

Let's see how this goes!

>Origin Race
Okay, so instead of +2 to Strength and Constitution, I get +1 to each. Kind of sucks, but I suppose that's the price of undeath. Maybe this will be okay.

>Ability Score Increase
Whoa now! An extra 3 Constitution? Amazing! This is awesome, especially because this gives me 19 Constitution.

Speed: Okay, so this brings me to 20 feet of movement. Not crippling, but as I'm playing a slower race to start this isn't great, considering I'm going to have to level up for a while to get that extra speed.

>Undead Curse
So I can't be resurrected to my living form. That's okay, as being undead certainly has made me a powerhouse!

>Corpse with a Heart
...Wait, so I can't be healed? That sucks, especially as I'm going to be the guy taking hits. Even Spare the Dying doesn't work on me! On the other hand, I'm completely immune to Blight, Command, Hold Monster, Phantasmal Force, Sleep, and a few others.

>Stasis
Whoa now. This puts a serious damper on my character. Only one feat, and only one ability score increase? Well I guess I could take the Durable feat and get the best of both worlds, but that's the only feat I get.

>The Dead Know No Rest
Oh, I'm immune to being unconscious. Kind of powerful, but okay.

>Resistance
Resistant to poison and necrotic damage. Cool.

>Undead Body
Every attack having a 1 out of 40 chance of removing a limb is enough to ruin a character, even if I get it back later. It's already incredibly dangerous being an undead, seeing as I can't be healed.

>Unholy
I guess this is fine, I can't regain hitpoints anyway.

>Fortitude
I think what sucks the most about this is that if I absolutely hate my character, he is literally incapable of dying.
Congrats, this is ACTUALLY the worst race I've seen in 2017.

> one of the other players confirmed for dick bag rogue that guy
Don't play paladin. If you're hellbent on gish, I suggest a cleric, a hexblade or a bladesinger instead. If you want to fuck things up with sword, play a fighter.
Paladin + dickass rogue = needless drama.

...unless you're conquest/treachery/oathbreaker paladin, that is.

Burn high level spell slots to inflict Wild Magic Surge on other people

>that guy married to DM
Play one session and if it goes badly just bail.
Those are two really bad things to combine.

They remained night hags, but I played them really, really dumb. The party also came up with a plan to lure one of them out and ambush her to break up the coven, which I allowed them to do.
They still nearly died, but they were satisfied with their victory.

I really like paladins. A lot.

I know. I'm just desperate for a game, and I actually really like the dm and some of the other players. Even his wife is fine in other settings, but one of the other guys was warning me she was a bit of a cunt in game.

I asked in the last thread and saw no answer. Are there any collections and archives of the UA stuff for 5e?

It kind of sucks that you'd have to play them dumb though.
They're INT 16, they should play smart.

No game is better than a bad game.
Why not give running a game a tr?

Well... it's all on the WotC website, if that's what you mean.
I'm also pretty sure it's in the trove.

That's a nice border. I like that border.

I feel really fucking relieved that night hags are finally a kind of hag nowadays.

I have run before. I enjoy running the game and I'm pretty good at it honestly, I just really want to play. Also, I personally believe that any game can be made into a good game if you try hard enough. There are some good players, and the dm is a reasonable guy. I think we will be able to work something out.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B4jAv0Wgv9taQ29RZUJiekRXMWc

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that they're married.
And unsalvageable games definitely exist.

Yeah, and wizards are 18 int, yet most of them behave like drooling morons.

Okay yeah, I'll admit there are some games that can't be saved, but I don't think it's to that point. It's only one bad player. Even if she is married to the DM.

PC Wizards, maybe.
But people always say "Dragons should be played really smart" even when they're talking about the ones with INT of like 10-12.

Plenty of married couples D&D together without favoritism being shown.

Even that is at least as smart as the average person. But can we really roleplay someone with 20 int properly? I'm assuming none of the retards in this thread are that smart.

Tbh dragons don't even need to be played smart, they just need to be played like dragons. They need to use their natural advantages, which are flight and a breath weapon. Only an absolutely retarded dragon is going to get down on the ground and claw it out.

I agree, but he's already said one of them is That Guy and that they clearly aren't going to be dealt with.
I know people in relationships can play D&D without favouritism, I do it myself.

I agree that 20 INT going to be difficult to portray but the point at hand is dumbing down 16 INT Night Hags to be gullible retards, which pretty much anyone is capable of not doing.

The idea that intelligence score = you shouldn't make mistakes really needs to be thrown in the trash. PC or NPC. Owlbears and shit were made by wizards too.

If that were the case, median level casters would be simply unbeatable, because they would always be played perfectly.

Just throw the idea in the trash and start over.

Never said "gullible retards". Meant that instead of just killing the entire party with magic missiles, they mostly fucked around using their natural attacks, trying to push PCs out of the windows and summoning dretches instead.

>witches trying to fight people physically and getting lured away from their allies
Sounds pretty gullible and retarded to me.

what happens to my raven from my raven queen pact if I get knocked unconscious? can it recognize that it can wake me up?

>like dragons

I legitimately don't see any reason dragons are gonna be universally prone to avoidance tactics.

On the other hand, if you do abide by that meme, black and blue dragons are gonna be crazy strong due to their playbook being to swoop in, spit at max range, adn flee.

Yeah, I could have used their full potential and killed the entire party in one turn. But I decided not to do that. Can you guess the reason?

Hags tend to be physically superior to human beings.

Because the adventure isn't balanced properly, like I pointed out in my first post on this topic?

Hag magic tends to be superior to hag attacks.

Fascinating. Thank you.

> Someone on the internet is playing the game WRONG!
Jesus Christ, you're autistic.

I like what you're thinking, but the wild magic table is 2/3 neutral or beneficial. I feel like that wouldn't be great.

dunno, if 99% of the humans you've went into hand attack instantaneously die you may very well learn to have faith in your physical attacks.

don't know why I'md efending someone who doesn't believe in measuring encoutner difficulty tho

>having an opinion is autistic
Okay.

I'm just saying, if the DM is going to dumb down every encounter so the players can't lost then it's not a game, it's a story.

Admittedly 5e's encounter measurements are pretty poor.

If I was a hag, I don't think I'd bother trying to hit people.

I mean, all animals have some basic instinct about fighting. Thats just nature. But dragons are smart wnough to learn. Which means smart enough to teach. I see no reason why a dragon wouldn't teach its kids that advanced tactic of "hey, we're better than them because we fly, lets just keep doing that."

>WMS an enemy
>they literally become invincible

>I'm just saying, if the DM is going to dumb down every encounter so the players can't lost then it's not a game, it's a story.

Oh boy, time for the "DM did it once he does it every time" argument.

You're not wrong but the whole binary extreme is a stupid hole to fall down.

Is there such a thing as a well-designed level one encounter?

Every one I've ever made or been a part of felt like the entire party was one unlucky roll away from getting one-shot.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but my group never seems to have a problem with it.

Could you explain what you mean?

Gentlemen;
How do we make Intelligence useful for non-wizards?

Any advice?

I have to deal with a player who's kind of trash. Only plays Lawful Good Paladins 80% of the time, and always plays them as "Physically large leaders of the group with staunch moral lines that conflict with pragmatism." The only things he's played otherwise was a retarded Chaotic Evil Yuan-Ti which was basically just "My Lawful Good Paladins but a snake and obsessed with sacrifice," a Neutral Evil vampire who likes drinking random people's blood, and a Goblin Rogue who couldn't stop being a shitter until he decided he didn't like playing not Paladins and killed himself off.

It was fine for a while, but now he's getting a huge persecution complex because a, the US election, b, the fact that his friend called him out on being a dick by always using his Large races to physically lift people who don't follow his creed until they agree to do things his way, and c, getting called out for attempting to sacrifice a random person in game after going on a 10 minute rant about how he hated that our Druid attacked a monster before it could surprise round attack us, and defending his actions (that led to him getting his ass kicked by the higher level Monk that girl was) by saying, "All the other characters are being idiots, can't I do something stupid without consequences?"

Do I just ignore it? He was a Forever DM a while back, but now that more people are DMing, this issue is getting very out of hand very fast.

The vast majority of PC adaptations of D&D start with enemies that do, like, 1 damage per hit. So you may wish to fight the ol' Rats in the Cellar until they level up.

Why do it at all, though?

I prefer to tell my players upfront that sometimes the right course of action is to just disengage and that some fights are generally not going to be won with direct combat.

SKT would be unplayable otherwise.

Is he autistic?
And how does the US election relate?

It works alright, but certain party makeups (and particularly size) along with situations make it pretty inaccurate.

If you're just straight up dungeon crawling by the books it's alright.

>tfw just realised executioners and vilebloods use the opposite kind of builds

He's That Guy and you know it

Drop him faster than your psycho Ex GF or face the consequences which will be misery not just for you but all your buddies in the group

Make Intelligence saves more prevalent.

Now if only Wizards would release something like that...

Okay... but if people followed them more, we wouldn't have to suffer through ebin tales of people slow walking encounters.

>not just wrecking all the giants
What a loser.

Anyone know a good place to get player mini files for 3d printing?