Chaotic Neutral is the best alignment, prove me wrong

Chaotic Neutral is the best alignment, prove me wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Tome_of_Fiends_(3.5e_Sourcebook)/Morality_and_Fiends#Law_and_Chaos:_Your_Rules_or_Mine.3F
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl-e2PM1ITM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Neutral is the best alignment.

Don't start us down this path, OP.

What alignment is this?

Lawful dumb

"CN" I'm on to you Demonspawn.

It's misunderstood too often by stupid shits, more than perhaps any other alignment. "Random" behavior, soulless characters who act Evil being brought into non-Evil games, or those same characters just trying to assume moral high ground in games that do have Evil members. So while this isn't directly the alignment's fault, it has a higher proportion of shitty players and if you had to take in a player knowing only the alignment of their character, you would have the worst odds of a good time if you picked a Chaotic Neutral one.

>Ancap
>Literally means Anarco-Capitalist
>Lawful

But if ANY of those five are napping themselves, you'll have violated that nap anyway, and more than one of them could be napping making it worse. It's not worth the risk.

Being a parasite who doesn't care when others suffer is Evil, not Chaotic Neutral. The majority of people are Neutral, and the majority of people feel fucking empathy unlike you.

>Ambivalence is Evil in D&D

Its not.

>being this literal with alignment names
This is why so many people hate alignments

Being willing to put yourself out there to stop suffering is Good, caring but being unwilling to risk yourself to stop suffering is Neutral, and being a sociopath who doesn't care about the suffering of others is Evil. Not every Evil is a full-blown anti-paladin.

That can be the case in your IRL philosophy, but in D&D altruism is Good, ambivalence/indifference/non-action is Neutral and malevolence is Evil.

CN for players is just a way to be chaotic evil without suffering the consequences of being chaotic evil. You are practically a noncommittal douche bag who is too afraid to go all the way because you are afraid of paladins.

I just wanted to post a cute train comic :(

>t. Butthurt Paladin

Who wouldn't pull the lever in this situation?

Lawful Evil

How is Law and Chaos explained?

In contradictory fashions. Really the entire alignment system is poorly explained and varies depending on source and edition,

Read this for an indepth look at Alignments and how they work in D&D [or more accurately, the various options for how they can work for your table]

dandwiki.com/wiki/Tome_of_Fiends_(3.5e_Sourcebook)/Morality_and_Fiends#Law_and_Chaos:_Your_Rules_or_Mine.3F

> EMIYA.jpg

Fuck, meant for

Violating the NAP -can- be justified in a case like this according to anarcho-capitalism if you want to get serious.

It makes for poor memes though.

What's his alignment?

He's Neutral Evil in the first episode.

He goes up the alignment ladder as the show goes on. He doesn't go above True Neutral though.

Neutral Evil.

Chaotic Billow.

>Chatoic Neutral: Fuck you, I do what I want
>Chatoic Evil: Fuck you, I do what I want
>Neutral Evil: Fuck you, I do what I want
Explain to me how these three alignments aren't interchangeable.

>chaotic neutral: Fuck you I do what I want, unless I don't find it morally reprehensible on a personal level
It was called the "free spirit" alignment, not the "I roll dice to decide if I'm going to eat porridge or infants" alignment.
>Chaotic evil: Fuck you I do what I want, unless its going to get me killed, arrested, or put in an otherwise dangerous situation I can't handle
Placing your own wants, needs, and impulses above the laws and moralities of others does not require being an idiot.
>Neutral evil: Fuck you, I do what I want if I can get away with it. Society is useful because it restrains others, I wouldn't want it torn down, then I would have some actual competition.
Honestly there's more of a blur between LE and NE than anywhere else.

CN: I might save you today, I might not
CE: I'm fucking better than you
NE: Fuck you, do what I want

Lawful-Chaotic axis can be seen as a difference in method.
Chaotic evil will not use orderly society as a tool to exploit people, he's a "take what you want, when you want, from whoever you want" type. Neutral evil might.
Chaotic Neutral does not deliberately screw others, otherwise he's Chaotic Evil

Chaotic money

>not True Neutral
Truly powerful people who give no shits are TN.

>Lawful Neutral- Fuck you, I'll do what I want, as long as it's within the boundaries of the law, pal!
>Lawful Evil- Fuck you, I'll do what I want, but I won't break my code of morals, nor will I cheat you out of a deal, but I aint a nice guy, pal!
>Lawful Good- Fuck you, I'm going to save you and give you a hug and some cookies and milk, maybe I'll even pay for your schooling, because I love you, pal!

TN is the cop out alignment
>Ehhh, I don't really wanna be punished for being an evil guy, but I also don't wanna get in trouble if I don't follow all the rules If only there was an alignment to truly capture my complete and total lack of decisiveness and just how bland I am

>cop-out alignment
TN has three meanings.
>I'm completely indecisive
>I literally have "centrism" as my views. I choose to not choose one side or another but believe both are needed i.e. druids and yin-yang shit.
>I literally could not give less of a shit because I'm level 80

Neutral Evil is "I will serve my own ends, and it may just so happen that the law is a good way to achieve those ends."
Lawful Evil is "I have a personal code of honor and know that laws are useful, and will follow them".

You forgot
>My brain is literally the size of a walnut because I am a deer

I thought animals just didn't have an alignment, period, because they're so stupid that they can't recognize morality.
That slots into the first anyway.

>screw alignments I have money.

Animals should be considered evil. Think about it.
>It's not sinful to kill an animal
>Animals have no regard for morality and would do the most horrific shit for the slightest gain
>animals are incapable of shame or guilt

>no regard for morality
Right but they literally cannot have malicious intent per D&D because they're too stupid to understand the difference between malice and benevolence. It's like how Jelly Cubes are unaligned despite literally bulldozing entire dungeons clean.

>incapable of shame or guilt
That's the thing though. If you use the benevolence-ambivalence-malice definition of good-neutral-evil, then true psychopaths are unironically not evil, because they're NOT malicious - they're simply insane. If you had an edgelord who tossed a guy overboard because he smelled like ass, like how we might throw out a coke because it tastes weird, then that action, specifically, isn't evil. It can't be evil. The psychopath doesn't understand good and evil, he knows what people generally call good and evil but that's it, he himself can't "feel" it.

>Chatoic Neutral: Fuck you, I do what I want but what I want is generally just to mind my own business and commit neither good nor evil actions
>Chatoic Evil: Fuck you, I do what I want regardless of the side effects (that I am aware of) as doing what I want is more important to me than any law and what I want to do generally involves Evil acts
>Neutral Evil: Fuck you, I do what I want and what I want is to commit Evil against everyone before me. The laws do not even factor into the equation for a second as they are insignificant compared to Evil

CN are basically just anarchists.

Any kind of Neutral - believable character. Someone you might meet on the street. Can be a great person or a total dick.

Any kind of Good or Evil (including Neutral Good/Evil) - literally beyond regular humanity due to a innate connection to evil or good forces. In case of good, a saint. Lawful Good person probably washes homeless peoples' feet, volunteers 80 hours a week at a charity organization. Chaotic Evil is a murderous psycopath that goes above and beyond someone you'll find in the worst corner of a max security prison. Very likely a serial killer. Probably smells like sulfur.

You're like a baby. Watch this.

>Chaotic Evil is a murderous psycopath
Wrong. Chaotic Evil is just a huge prick to everyone and everything and doesn't give a shit about the consequences.

You know the one where it's you on the track vs. 5 other people is a pretty good test for being Good vs. Neutral/Evil.

I prefer the "prisoner dilemma" one, personally.

Oh, and this.

why don't they just have one person walk off and the other gets out of the way after switching rails

That's Chaotic Neutral with an unpleasant personality. Chaotic Evil is demonic and no longer of human society.

Presumably, they are attached to the levers.

No. A psychopath can't feel empathy, and without empathy you can't have malice.

>Man in the middle trolley problem
That's a cool game of righteousness chicken, where the guy who pulls the lever dies for everyone else, assuming neither of them can leave their spot.
Well, I mean, you can hate something in an intellectual sense, even if it doesn't immediately fill you with rage. It's not quite malice, but someone who does things without an emotional payoff for the sake of being a dick is still evil. It's a far shot, but it could happen. Like someone who believes mentally that he should be good without feeling an emotional impulse towards it is still good.

It's also a way to have more opponents than even CE can pull off. When you want to fight the whole world but don't care about killing anyone CN is just right. Just imagine crawling over the dragon scales up to his noggin just to headbutt him into submission.

Does a demon have empathy? Alignment is meaningless without good and evil as core, measurable things in your setting.

>good and evil as core, measurable things in your setting
>implying that good and evil are measurable things IRL either
Good joke.

Alignment is a game concept that has no direct connection to RL. In other news, I fell 40 feet onto concrete last night, went home with 1 hp and I'm back to normal today!

And yet people still try to force moral relativism into DnD instead of just using it as a cosmic identifier of outsiders, with all humans by nature being True Neutral.

Which is why any mortal with Good alignment is an agent of heavens, and any mortal with an Evil one is an agent of the pit. Or whatever your setting has. They're not normal people. A peasant that steals shit when he can get away with it and beats his wife is neutral because his actions fall within the scope of normal, if rather shitty, human behavior.

Animals are psychopaths. Psychopaths are evil. Therefore animals are evil.
This explains why killing a deer to feed a family is good but killing a human to feed a bunch of vampires is evil.

>Animals are psychopaths
?

Come on now, don't you see birds outside your window violently killing each other? I just saw a cuckoo literally tear out a pigeon's heart outside, it's gruesome!

Chaotic Evil is the best alignment, because it lets you do anything. Do something selfish? That's okay, you're Evil. Do something altruistic? You were actually doing it for selfish reasons, so it's still Evil. Even if you made a big song and dance about "doing the right thing", that was just to make yourself look good in the eyes of others, so you're still Evil.

And of course, whether you obey the law or ignore it is entirely up to you, because you're Chaotic. You can flip-flop whichever way you like, because you're Chaotic.

Chaotic Evil is the best alignment. Prove me wrong.

So that's what I sounds like....

>no guilt or remorse
>only act out of self interest
>impulsive, only caring about short term gratification
>no self control
>no sexual inhibitions
psychopaths

And they can't even read! I bet every animal out there has 1 level of Barbarian.

Badly

>CE: I might rape you today, I might not

What alignment is he?
>m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl-e2PM1ITM

If you're good, you can't be a stinkin' monarchist. Power to the people!

>majority of people feel fucking empathy

Empathy.
>Makes people easy to manipulate
>Forces people into irrational decisions
>Overrides your emotions
>Forces you to feel things against your will
>Cannot be suppressed
>The most powerful men in the world can be considered to be lacking in empathy
>It disrupts your ability to think objectively and logically
>It drives normal people to violence and anger, sometimes in the form of riots or lynch mobs

Empathy is a mental illness.

Don't forget having feelings towards things that don't actually exist.

>I literally have "centrism" as my views. I choose to not choose one side or another but believe both are needed i.e. druids and yin-yang shit.
See I've always felt that was LN because you are going out of your way to maintain balance and order.

beep boop

Neutral Evil is so much better.
It you disagree, I'll stab you in the back, rob your corpse, and blame everything on your best friend. I Guess it's a strong proof.

The thing is it's not about maintaining order, it's about maintaining balance, because the original meaning of Good-Evil Lawful-Chaotic in D&D was just more or less heaven vs. hell, and TN Druid types were like, mediators or something. A TN druid works to preserve the balance of the natural world, not necessarily society or even the order of the natural world, just its balance.

What if the monarch has everyone's best interests in mind and is uniquely capable of saving the species?

CN:Screw you, I do what I can
CE:Fuck you, I do what I want
NE:Fuck you

Here you go, I made this for you. I hope you enjoy it.

The monarch needs to meet the needs of his closest men, that is, his family, his generals, and his scholars.

If he fails to do this, groups may conspire to over throw him.
This means if he tries to provide for the people at large, he's not explicitly providing just for his closest men. Humans are a jealous creature, they would grow cross at this.

But as your picture shows, the King in that scenario has cool powers and shit he could probably use to keep his men in line.

>Empathy is a mental illness.
Literally everything can be considered a mental illness, because the norm for mental health is completely arbitrary and set by the society, unlike physical health, for which there are quite clear-cut standards (if a little broad) - and even then people keep lying to themselves, because they simply cannot accept that things they enjoy doing simply are not healthy.

And being objective and logical doesn't necessarily bring the best possible result for the individual from his standpoint either, simply because nature isn't truly logical either.

Who cares about others' completely arbitrary norms as long as you can sustain yourself and your lifestyle successfully?

tl;dr Norms are a spook - a useful spook, but still just a spook.

What if pigs fly tomorrow?

Empathy is the only reason the human race exists. Without it, we'd be a species of sociopaths who'd never cooperate or form bonds.

Neanderthals were stronger, more robust and better adapted to the environment, but were rapidly out-competed by Cro Magnon Man because, whilst their tool-making and problem solving ability was, if anything, better than humans, their social abilities were stunted. They lived in small clans of 5-10 individuals with only sporadic contact with other groups to exchange females.

That critically restricted the flow of new technologies and ideas, and make them vulnerable to being wiped out peicemeal by environmental hazards and warfare.

Humans showed up in tribes already numbering in the hundreds, with close-knit family units and primitive trade connections with dozens of other tribes moving into northern Eurasia.

Superior empathy, arguably more than superior intelligence, is what allowed us to survive when all other hominids have gone extinct.

Anarchy doesn't mean no rules - it means no rulers

Neanderthals are the "realistic" orcs.

>power to the plebian commoner retards in a world where there exist people with 20+ INT

>Only intelligent people deserve freedom and dignity.

Who makes up the rules?

Who enforces them?

Who is that semen demon?

Humans outcompeted Neanderthals due to tighter extended family bonds, greater empathy, and girls dripping pussy fluid at the drop of a hat.

user when you can literally measure someone's intelligence as a number and this is an unarguable number that doesn't depend on application, and when you can cast Detect Evil on the monarch to find out if he's an ass, then there is literally no reason not to give the throne to the sexy 10/10 banging hot wizard girl with 21 INT, the ability to singlehandedly stop minor natural disasters and end enemy armies, and a couple of divine ranks making her immortal and an actual god.
In fact, more importantly - who the fuck is going to stop Epic-classes from taking the top, beyond other Epics?

Not him, but presumably, I make the rules on my territory and regarding my property, and you make the rules on your own territory and regarding your property. "I am the government unto myself" and all that shit.
Or something like that - don't quote me on it.

>who the fuck is going to stop Epic-classes from taking the top
Exactly 1.34 hectopeasants.

Neanderthals were probably pretty territorial and aggressive, but wouldn't really have fought 'wars' much due to their small numbers and low birth rates (due to being totally egalitarian, they lost as many females to hunting accidents as males).

Before Man showed up, they'd have sat in their isolated forests, living in small family groups in equilibrium with the environment due to their small numbers, wrestling xbawksheug deer to the ground and making really technically advanced stone tools.

Neanderthals were elves. And we killed (and possibly ate) them.

Humans are the orcs.

>Wizard invents a detect evil spell.
>"Trust me berk, it works exactly like I say it does!"
>All wizard's enemies are detected as evil.

>134 peasants
Literally a single Fireball.

That means most humans are half-elves!

>Anarchy doesn't mean no rules - it means no rulers
>

That's Lorde you nit