Why is modern fantasy so neglected?

Why is modern fantasy so neglected?

It's kind of lame.

Because it doesn't have a Lord of the Rings equivalent to form its backbone in popular culture.

have you seen how autistic people are about regular fantasy settings? Can you imagine how much bullshit you'd have to go through to justify fantasy bullshit in the "real" world? Not to mention that everyone is suddenly going to have their own interpretation of how X is supposed to work in real life.

I can't even think of any successful examples that don't require the audience to just kinda assume "it's magic, this setting is the real world with no logic or internal consistency". Maybe Discworld, but that's by no means modern, just regular fantasy with modern style writing.

This. I've seen plenty of it, but never done well.

/thread

because it is very silly

Does shadowrun count?

The modern world is so entrenched in logic and reality that it's hard to have any "modern" fantasy setting that isn't "lel it's a secret part of the world normal people can't see because illusions or some other bullshit." I assume by "modern fantasy", you don't mean the kind of world I just described like what's in Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. The only concepts I can think of about modern fantasies are scenarios where magic and mythical creatures have been banished or dormant for a long time, then some event comes about that brings them back into the world causing global chaos and strife, and the end of "modern" human society. This setting would best take place a fair amount of time after the event has passed and fantasy elements are well established in the world again. So basically it's post-apocalyptic fantasy, or "hidden world" bullshit (I always kind of hated those concepts, I just don't think those would ever work).

yep, its filled a niche of the roleplaying segment that wants its elves, dorfs, machineguns and magic quite well for a lot of years now.

More than that it's kinda cringy. see One people are going to call bullshit on the politics and techological advancements. Two people are going to call a lot of shit on the ethnic and religious aspects. Shit like Shadowrun have some points that'll rub people the wrong way, you can get people who'll read the history of Shadowrun from where it diverges and say they're not interested in a game made by people who hate Native Americans because how they take the fake history made for the game. Say they are shit players and better off but when your game gets tanked for shit that's not even a part of your current run you get a bit salty of not even trying to run the game.

Another point on it being cringy is that it seems very wish fulfillment of a naive person who doesn't see much in this world without fucking magic going on. The "I really wish I was an elf wizard" kinda of bullshit.

Nobody makes good modern fantasy movies except for Japan.

Because it would involve something magical/fantastic spawning in our already established world by whatever means possible, since humanity couldn't have grown to our levels while cohabiting with fantastic beings and actions.

And then, the fantastic elements would be ruthlessly smashed, victorious soldiers all get a sex slave, end of the story. What's a dragon gonna do against 3000 30mm rounds per minute and heat-seeking missiles? How is a horde of orcs going to survive VX gas dropped by planes? How is a wizard gonna be useful if a SF team shoots him and his party in their tents at night, using suppressed weapons and night vision? Hell, even a god would get nuked quickly. I mean, pic related packs more heat than any dragon.

In other words, it would be either irrealistic blatant magic wanking that make somehow thermobaric weapons, submunitions and weapons of mass destruction irrelevant, or a seal-clubbing based nationalist wankfest, as seen in the anime Gate.

The only way to do modern fantasy would be to give the fantastics modernity as well. Dwarf-forged tough and reliable machine guns. Elven magic-guided cruise missiles. Orcs driving crudely made tanks. That kind of shit, as if modern armies were to fight WH40K forces. But then, it would need a good writer to pull something like this without it being utter horseshit.

Because everyone's souls are being weighed down by gravity.

Because most authors/envelope-pushers of the genre are women and women can't come up with anything interesting or even remotely above lame on their own.

GURPS Technomancer?

>that butthurt about Scottish independence
Give it up Sturgeon, it's never going to happen.

Most superhero settings are modern fantasy. Hellboy got deemons n' shiet.

I like Modern Fantasy. Having Dinosaurs as neighbors or Kobolds as co-workers could lead to lots of cool stories.

What, is Rowlings scottish?

Because it's shitty.

If a dragon can survive a tank battalion then the settings power levels are fucking retarded. If it can't then there is no reason for dragons to still exist as a relevant entity.

Redoran, plz.

I don't know about Rowling, but that picture is snivelling about how she gave money to a campaign against Scottish independence, presumably related to the referendum they had a while back.

The SNP are one of the most cucked political parties ever though.

Shit even the Greens have more balls.

Dumbledore was always gay though. Or at the very least a pervert, casting 'inappropriate' charms on a goat.

Nukes > dragons

>casting 'inappropriate' charms on a goat.
That was the other Dumbledore.

It is not?
A significant portion of the fiction from Asia is modern fantasy and some are pretty good.

It is underrated OP

Which is why I'm making the best Modern Fantasy setting ever made.

Because most people have bland shitty taste that can't accept the level of awesome that is a dragon and a spitfire having a dog fight

There always seems to be a lot of potential in the genre. Then they make shit like GATE...

it only works if it's a non-serious parody

Mostly DnD fanboys who feel the need to force everything into a shitty Tolkien knockoff framework

Those are P-51s.

Good thing that most of current fiction are modern fantasy and those retards, like OP, still didn't realize that.

Idiots like them actually believe that medieval fantasy genre, especially ones designed as sandboxes for autistic monkeys is the largest portion of fictional media when it is a very small niche that even Pathfinder publisher have to switch genre in order to grow as a company.

It's not. There's entire multiple subreddits dedicated to dragons fucking cars.

Don't ask me how I know. Trust me, you don't want to.

All fantasy genres are neglected except for a few sets that are so fucking specific they actually have set races.

Fuck you user, now I want to see ancient Babylonian gods entering into a nuclear war with ancient Egyptian gods. While the rest of the pantheons try their hardest to protect the planet and life from radiation poisoning.

Turns out we shouldn't have been slaughtering dragons for all those years. Due to the fact that dragons can absorb and feed off of radiation, thus neutralizing sites like Chernobyl.

Important to remember is that "modern" is both a tech level and an esthetic. It doesn;t necessarily need to be set in the real world, but it does in a world that looks like the real world. FFXV is modern fantasy.

The most hilarious thing is that Rowlings blatantly stole the idea of Harry Potter from a Hellblazer comic. The comic predates anything written by Rowlings, but the kid is A: a wizard, B: has round glasses, C: has the same hair, eyes, skin, EVERYTHING as Harry Potter.

There's no way it's a coincidence that a character that is identical to Harry Potter in every way existed in a Hellblazer comic before Rowlings ever wrote her books.

Nah nah, in most settings dragons are self aware. So you just have to make them law abiding citizens. Does the occasional dragon break laws and thus needs to be nuked out of the sky? Yes, but humans break laws all the time. We literally have prisons full of human law breakers.

So you can have best of both worlds. Dragons in your modern day setting, but still have awesome bossfights against them.

Because it's either shitty "magic is secret because reasons" or you need to create a completely new society where magic and technology advanced from the stone age to our days side by side. And the second variant is a fuckton of work.

if a dragon can't do dragon shit then it's not really a dragon is it?

>Rowlings
Why do people keep doing this?

Are you seriously implying that you wouldn't want to live in a world were you can potentially elect a dragon as the local mayor. Then sit back and eat popcorn while watching it use it's sense of smell to hunt down and incinerate all of the local crack dens?

Can I get proof? And just having a character look the same doesn't cover the whole idea of boarding school, the backstory of conspiracies, or the whole 'completely fucking sick of being the chosen one' stuff the books have.

>most settings
in most settings dragons capture princesses and can't talk

Most of the dragons probably will try to go for top-management or banking.

Are you kidding me, that's is only in several old western folk settings that dragons do that.
In Eastern and most western settings made after 1950s, dragons are intelligent beings with various personalities depending on their types.

Name three.

>the other dumbledore

???

Bank robberies would cease to exist, because no one would be able to know for sure if any specific bank has a dragon on site.

Aberforth, his brother.

If I am remembering correctly, there were three individuals who had the last name Dumbledore, two brothers (one of which grew up to run Hogworts) and then a sister who was batshit crazy.

>Implying
Evil dragons will the ones controlling major crime gangs and the ones spearheading bank robberies.
Fuck the other dragons.

Because its also be accompanied by peoples that was too stupid to comprehend something more powerfull than what they got. Dragons flatten your tank platoon?
>"Waah muh thicc armor waah 155mm waaaah".
Bitch please, this dragon have lamelar scale of uncomprehendable material reinforced with hyper reactive skin that can shatter kinetic energy generated by HEAT round repeatedly, don't forget that its also very inteligent, at this point it's also have some radar fucking kind of magic and meteor bolt out of the sky for shit and giggles.
>"Waaah but its unrealistic waaah"
Their brain are soo small shooting them in the head won't affect them anymore.

>Implying modern giants with mafia getup with large tommyguns that fire cannon shells won't rob the bank instead.

harry potter was written as a pretty stereotypical ostracized kid, m8.
Round glasses, skinny/short build and messy hair aren't exactly uncommon for that type of character in bongland.

I wish people would stop trying to push this shit, given that the books and their author are an absolute goldmine for genuine fuck ups to rip apart.
Like how in her backtracking to make Slytherin not as appealing as Ebola, she said Merlin was one. Despite the fact that Merlin would have predated the building of the castle by centuries.

st. george
nibelungenlied
jason and the argonauts

All common, relevant settings and not long forgotten fairy tales. Try actual fantasy.

because modernised fantasy is far better

>try tolkien clone no. 2379
There are real settings user, and every time some cartoon or children's book includes them that's another one, if yours count those do

>st. george
Actshully, some legends of St George have him taming the dragon.
Not as common, but they do exist.

Elven special forces would be fucking terrifying.

Modern reality is more interesting.

I'm of the point of view that reality is always more interesting than fantasy. Far more fluff, more varied and real characters, deeper backstories, more detailed descriptions from people who were really there.

A person making stuff up just doesn't compare to the wealth of crazy shit that happens in real life.

>kinetic energy generated by HEAT round repeatedly
HEAT rounds use chemical energy, not kinetic.
Its a stream of liquid copper that burns through the armor.

Kinetic energy penetrators use insane muzzle velocities, discarding sabots and depleted uranium projectiles to put a whole dick ton of kinetic energy into a point in the armor, ideally exhibiting adiabatic shear band formations.

you can't do modern fantasy because it's these two posts repeated 300 times. It pretty much always devolves into "magic is stronger than modern tech because it's magic " and "nuh modern tech has SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY so obviously it trumps magic X"

This user has it right. These autists are the reason why modern fantasy is to be avoided.

The Scottish came cap in hand to the English begging for a union because they were so shit at Imperialism they bankrupted their whole country.

Shadowrun seems to do it just fine.

If dragons can survive AP tank rounds the setting is pointless. No human hero could possibly defeat one, you would have to be a moron who actually thinks magic being super OP is a good thing to want such a setting.

But then people who think like that have ruined normal fantasy RPG settings too.

It's the most popular kind of fantasy where I live.

The second post you quoted had nothing to do with magic vs technology though.

Magic is as strong as the writer of the setting (and/or the GM) wants to make it. The players just have to live with those choices.

Tanks can survive AP tank rounds, is our setting pointless?

No, becuase hell-fire missile exist.

Having dragons immune to missiles and other BVR weapons would make our modern setting much more interesting.

Lets say dragons can easily brush off missiles and anything else with fire based tech (or based on shrapnel damage), and are too fast for anti tank cannons to hit from the ground, therefor they must be defeated by cannons on fighter aircraft, in the old WW2 (and WW1) ways of dogfights.

You thought dogfights were cool, wait until you dogfight with a fucking dragon.

Fafnir was just a dwarf transformed into a dragon. Of course he could talk, don't be stupid.

How do aircraft cannon work but shrapnel based missiles do not

>immune to shrapnel, which is high-velocity bits of metal
>can still be hurt by regular bullets, which are high-velocity bits of metal
Explain.

Shrapnel can't defeat the dragons AC.
50mm cannons can sometimes, so pouring a shit ton of fire in you're likely to do some damage.

The same way modern tanks can ignore shrapnel no problem, but they can't take a dedicated AP round.

Any excuse for good old dogfights with cannons is ok by me.

>Ancient dragons appear during the korean war
I would play that setting.

Just pulling some example numbers out of my ass, dont quote me on any of these:

Dragons AC: 30

Shrapnel from missile: + 10 to hit. needs a 20
50mm cannon: +20 to hit. Needs a 10

Makes cannons much more viable

You obviously have to jump out of a helicopter and harpoon the unique female dragon. Once she's dead, the sky lizards can't reproduce!

>Modern Fantasy neglected.
>When Shadowrun exists.

>Shadowrun
>modern

For some reason If dnd setting were applied to the real world I would just see diamond farms being set up to abuse the wish spell over and over.

Plenty of stories of every genre have modern day technology and magic. Ghostbusters are modern fantasy, Blade and Underworld are modern fantasy, literally every ghost story in present day setting is a modern fantasy.

Is there a scientific explanation for why vampires don't have a reflection or why saying a specific phrase might summon a ghost? No! That's the whole point. A magical creature contrasted by modern setting is defined by deliberately violating the established laws of reality in some way.

>dogfighting dragons
I don't think you understand just how much more manoeuverable a dragon is compared to a plane.

Diamonds would actually have a real justification for their pricetag at that point

it can be interesting , look at the SCP foundation site

>Like how in her backtracking to make Slytherin not as appealing as Ebola, she said Merlin was one. Despite the fact that Merlin would have predated the building of the castle by centuries.
Merlin ages backwards, dude.

The series is called 'Books of Magic'.

Dragons are as maneuverable as the GM makes them. Lets say they're on par with a Su-37 or anything agile with thrust vectoring and we're good to go.

I support this. Fight dragons with ye olde tech, ingenuity and helicopters.

I imagine it will be the simple things that defeat dragons, like super-gluing its eyes or something.

The male dragon. Reign of Fire was about killing the unique male dragon.

Shit, yer right.

A very unique movie about dragons taking over modern day Earth. They're not particularly smart though, just good at swarming and setting shit on fire.

Because it either turns into shitty power-fantasies about using nukes to kill dragons and Cthulhu, or it turns into trite bullshit that just crams fantasy elements like Orcs and Elves and magic into modern society, and acts like the world would be entirely identical to our own save those fantastical elements. Y'know, instead of bent out of shape completely by magical powers that defy the laws of thermodynamics, and creatures that laugh in the face of evolution.

Raildex pulled it off pretty nicely and Naruto did it too

When I think about it Dragonball was as well