Anyone played Godbound?

Anyone played Godbound?

From what I've read it's basically a drastically less complicated Exalted, base game is free online and I like the feel it's going for, but I'm curious if Veeky Forums in it's infinite and unquestionable wisdom has anything to say on the matter.

Link to the Free Edition: drivethrurpg.com/product/185959/Godbound-A-Game-of-Divine-Heroes-Free-Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51050072/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51162169/
youtube.com/watch?v=Yet76NDB6Ic
plus.google.com/109542481433257987536/posts/i3p8ceT2VEy
boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/49325021/#49336211
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the system like before I bother to read it?

B/X.

Simple d20 system, seems to focus more on using you Godly powers and critical thinking then anything else.

Basically you are a fledgling God in a world torn apart.

That sounds cool, but B/X and d20 aren't really my thing. But maybe I'll throw the pdf on the back burner incase I need something simple to read. I'm not completely turned off, just not really sold.

Not shilling, just curious if anyone has thoughts on it, doesn't seem to have a huge following

Go over these threads, maybe:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51050072/

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51162169/

I don't foam at the mouth whenever I have a paranoid sneaking suspicion that someone might want to sell something to me. If you like a game this is a place to talk about it, no shame in that.

Any more Word of Power beside the ones in the core book yet?

Not yet, but Crawford has a book on new words planned.

Godbound might be meh, but how is Bodgound?

Godbound? Is that a S&M fetish game?

Dogbound? Well, as a life-long PETA supporter, I

Basically, the real question is...

CYOA
Has 2hu found a different system to fag up yet?

CYOA

If no:
>Thread will be an endless pile of autism
If yes:
>Thread will still be an endless pile of autism, but will at least have fewer stupid avatarfags in it

Frankly, it is simply a matter of having very little to talk about with regards to Godbound. I have made known my grievances in the threads here , and there is little else to discuss in terms of how robust the system is (answer: it is not robust at all).

My own Godbound game is in the midpoint of 5th-level. We have united the Bright Republic, Patria, Dulimbai, and Vissio into a single utopic federation free of corruption. We have spread rectified magical law and sci-fi-like metropolises all over these nations, and we are now about to send an elite strike team to fell Lom and its terrible host of angels.
The campaign has been entertaining, but my GM, my sole fellow player, and I can all safely agree that we have been enjoying the game *despite* the lopsided mechanics rather than *because* of those rules.

What does it mean for an RPG system to not be robust?

Balanced? Accommodating a wide variety of characters? Permitting different mechanical ways of achieving things? Enjoyable as a whole?

It means that the game relies heavily on GMs adjudication and players' good will. How much strain the Knowledge word puts on GM during downtime is just atrocious. You can game Dominion rather easily unless the GM puts arbitrary limiters on you. The fights are basically Exalted 2E ones where monsters are murderizing deathmachines and your REAL HP is your Effort for defensive gifts and miracles. That makes Purity of Brilliant Law practically mandatory for every group. You can spice things up and play with freeform miracles but usually it easier to conserve Effort on "I hit HARD", "I'm invulnerable" and "I move first two times" Gifts.

Really, maybe that's because our GM is just going easy on us but I feel like there is not much challenge outside of fights. Godbound also looks like a game that is very hard to GM unless your players faffle about and pick Fire because they want to throw fireballs and are uninterested in influencing the world on larger scale.

>OSR with worse rules and even less balance

Nah no thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=Yet76NDB6Ic

It's a game about playing as godlings, and much like every game of that sort it's shoddy, but it's the easiest to fix by virtue of being light and having very few interconnecting systems. Also, the random generation tables included don't really feel up to snuff compared to the author's usual work. I'd grab the free version and make your own hack of the powers to pull into some other OSR system.

It is not very easy to fix at all. My GM, my fellow player, and I have attempted various fixes to a few of the more broken rules (especially using information-gathering gifts during downtime), and everything we have tried has still resulted in the game being strained by shoddy mechanics and nonexistent guidelines.

We have also found it very hard to balance battles, because as has said, combat is essentially Exalted 2e, wherein your real HP is your Effort/Essence, and the idea is to exchange perfect after perfect until someone finally runs out and crumples. This is a core assumption of the game, so it is not something a simple patch can repair.

Influence/Dominion and cults have likewise proven so easily gameable, with few easy fixes in sight. These are, again, an interconnected web of core system assumptions.

We did manage to "fix" the Faction subsystem though: completely ignoring it due to the madness surrounding it.

I have. It's fun, easy to run, easy to hack, easy to make content for. Plays well with one player.

The only real con is I damn well can't discuss this game on Veeky Forums because touhoufag will inevitably derail the thread with goddamn mechanics talk again. That shit isn't what I want to talk about with Veeky Forums. I want to talk and share stories about the setting and running and playing the game.

The whole mote attrition style combat was what killed my interest in Exalted 2E for me, and it's exasperating to see Godbound reinvent the same problem.

Exalted 3e continued it so you are probably better of playing Legends of the Wulin.

Except it really did fix the problem. Perfect effects and lethality were scaled way back in 3E.

Weren't you retarded enough to assume that a peasant village could magically enact worldwide change without any opposition simply because it could quickly garner the base 16 unmodified dominion to do so

I'm beginning to think you're full of shit

Don't forget "if the text says a bandit chieftain could be a normal opponent or a worthy foe, then that means that exactly 50% of all bandit chiefs are worthy foes. Not just the ones that players encounter, all of them in the world, everywhere!" That was some horseshit, too.

Lol k

The combat and social systems function really well in general for 3E.

Of the systems that aim to let players be superpowered demigods, which one's your favourite?

Just say what you want. It's not like you have to read what 2hu has to say.

I am not the one you asked but out of the systems Influence and Dominion are probably the most empowering ones. They are not perfect and are clearly not made with information-gathering Words in mind (Knowledge interacts in a very wonky way with them and is badly designed in general). They still allow you to freely shape the world through the lens of your Words.

If anything, Godbound is rather dishonest with its players because it paints you as a real deal while starting Godbound are laughably weak in general even compared to serious mortal heroes. Dominion is their only advantage.

>If anything, Godbound is rather dishonest with its players because it paints you as a real deal while starting Godbound are laughably weak in general even compared to serious mortal heroes. Dominion is their only advantage.

Only if you live in 2hu autismo land where "serious mortal heroes" are hiding under every rock because it totally says so right here if you read it the wrong way, and provided you're still only level 1, which is when you're supposed to be new to your powers and fairly vulnerable.

You are still going to have your ass beaten by people who do not have any special divine spark in them but are better than you because game balance demands it. And you are going to meet them regularly until the shifts to more supernatural, truly big-league foes.

Also, I am not sure what you are talking about. I do remember some thread where 2hu was arguing with someone over bandit warlords but don't remember the details.

Any opposition these hamlets are gonna meet is also the opposition that is going to try and stop Godbounds so really, they are not any better at numbers game.

Also, Factions using Dominion is stupid. A farming hamlet can gather 8 Dominion points and raise supernatural monster to defend it unless your GM arbitrarily says "no".

This is exactly what the “ruin inhabitant groups” section says.

Bandit Chief: Minor or Major Hero with a Skilled Mage lieutenant, a Large Mob of rabble and a Small Mob of veteran bandits

Conveniently, if a Godbound pantheon wanders into a ruin where bandits have set up shop, those bandits will likely have a Hero and a Skilled Mage both with powerful gifts that can threaten the pantheon.

>exactly

You have autism. It does not say that half of all Bandit Chiefs in the world must be Major Heroes, just that a Bandit Chief can be Major or Minor. IE the GM decides which is appropriate to throw at the party when they go to the camp.

Generic bandit chiefs being minor heroes is still ludicrous, because it means they can have something like Nine Iron Walls or Unbreakable and shrug off the pantheon’s attacks

>Hey, cool, a Godbound thread
>Er..., there goes another one down the drain
>Let's nope right out of here
I think I'll just ignore godbound threads from now on

Did you get bullied by hot opinions?

Any idea on "Dragon" as a Word of Power?

kill yourself.

Being a dragon is something explicitly stated as being an effect of having Sapphire Wings and Wealth and Fire Words. I guess you could make a new Word specifically for that but its effect would mostly overlap with Wealth, Fire, Passion/Command (draconic majesty), Sky or Sorcery, depending on your angle.

>you're still only level 1, which is when you're supposed to be new to your powers and fairly vulnerable.
Starting Godbound are chumps that have nothing special going for them. Bandit lords are nastier in fights and even farming hamlets can gather Dominion. They have access to things like Unending Abundance and potential to be stron down the line and that's it.

>Also, Factions using Dominion is stupid. A farming hamlet can gather 8 Dominion points and raise supernatural monster to defend it unless your GM arbitrarily says "no".

Factions can't make Impossible changes, and that's what supernatural monster defenders are, unless there's some overarching magic on the land that enables them (e.g. the Bright Republic's artificial celestial engines).

You are right, they can't BUT creating a singular supernatural entity requires flat 8 Dominion points as per the sidebar on page 131. It spells out Godbound as being able of doing it but in the Faction system writeup it also explicitly states that Factions are able to spend Dominion exactly as PCs can. It only gets weird because the created monster's stats are based on your level and Factions do not have levels.

It is rules-lawyery, does not make much sense in-universe and can be easily ruled away by GMs but really, that is what not being "robust" means. Godbound took the easy way out of designing game with demigods by going "just ad hoc everything if my systems don't make sense".

>BUY MY GAME PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEEEEE

So... Where is God? The One God I mean.

Either never existed or fucked off long time ago.

>Teaching people rare or esoteric skills or extremely pronounced expertise in a normal field is usually an Improbable change with a x2 difficulty multiplier. Turning a village of turnip farmers into trained practitioners of a low magic tradition or expert hydraulic engineers or 2 hit die elite warriors is theoretically possible, but highly unlikely.

>If a structure, enchantment or technology is something that the locals could have built with their available knowledge, low magic practitioners, and manpower, then it’s a Plausible change with a x1 difficulty multiplier. While a backwater village might not have an engineer among their number, if the culture they belong to knows how to build aqueducts, it’s not too much of a stretch for the village to do so. If they have low magic healers to hand, then local immunity to disease might be possible with sufficient vigilance among the adepts.

>If a structure, magic or technology is something that at least one culture in the realm could theoretically have built, or if it’s just very much larger than the available materials or manpower would seem to allow, then it’s an Improbable change with a x2 difficulty number. The local culture may not know how to build a university with excellent indoor plumbing, but if the humans of the realm have this technology in general use somewhere, then the building isn’t impossible. A village might not reasonably have enough people or quarried stone to construct a great citadel, but they could theoretically do it if they had far more time, so it qualifies as merely Improbable.

2 Dominion: Village turns itself into 2 HD elite warriors.
2 Dominion: Village turns itself into low magic practitioners.
1 Dominion: Village makes itself immune to disease.
2 Dominion: Village builds a great citadel.
2 Dominion: Village builds a university with great indoor plumbing.
1 Dominion: Village builds aqueducts.

The village can raise this Dominion over several months and pay for each individually.

You can defend this from the standpoint of "why isn't everyone a wizard?" In D&D it is really easy to become a wizard, you just have to say that you are one and maybe pay for retraining if you are doing it later than character creation. But in-universe you need a catalyst for that and can't just spontaneously transform into a wizard, just like a village can't just spontaneously teach itself to be elite warriors.

Disregarding the above for a minute I must wonder why the faction system allows you to treat individual impoverished villages as factions at all. What for? It squishes hamlets and great kingdoms on a small scale and makes it so the GM has to rule everything arbitrarily anyway to avoid absurds. Factions should have just a small writeups summarizing their features and problems.

Actually, yes. Last time I caught a 1 day ban for comments similar to

>Free game
try harder user

Try to actually talk about the game instead of insulting others! I mean, for all the whining above I would still like to read how others' games go and what they think about it.

It was relevant since he was shitting up the thread. All I wanted was to talk about godbound without all that crap. Anyway, I won't discuss or visit godbound threads in the future. This is my last comment the matter.

If you think your insults will make 2hu go away then spare yourself the effort.

>What can men do against such reckless autism?

Ignore it. Or use actual arguments instead of ad hominem.

Oh hey, another person turned away from these threads by touhou. Greeting's brother, do you not appreciate his game ruining bullshit either?

>use actual arguments

I tried, they were also futile. He sort of acknowledged my point, then sidled his way back to arguing the same wrong thing again. He did this several times, and I was then forced to admit that the folks hating on him really do have a point after all.

What did you get your feelings hurt about this time?

>TIDF pretending Touhou's never wrong

>descended to using U MAD?
>in current year

What are the relative merits between Might and Sword?

2hu, if you wanted to play in the setting of Godbound but with an entirely different ruleset, what kinds of ruleset would appeal to you? Is there an existing game that does what you're looking to accomplish, and if so, what is it? If not, what mechanics or systems do you think would be important elements of the game? I ask because I like Godbound on principle but don't enjoy OSR mechanics whatsoever and I value your thoughts and input, even when I don't agree with you.

Sword is the better combat Word all-around, because its lesser gifts include one of the best perfect defenses in the game (Nine Iron Walls) and an automatic hit gift (Unerring Blade).

However, with the advent of lineages and lesser lineages, Bow is just plain better than Sword, as I go over in this thread ( archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51162169/ ).

As for Might, its intrinsic benefit is very good, because it is the only way to gain a +4 attribute modifier. Might has a top-notch combat greater gift in the form of Loosening God's Teeth, and Descent of the Mountain synergizes splendidly with Bow's Bolt of Invincible Skill for large AoE damage that is not a Smite. Apart from those two gifts, Might has decent noncombat utility (Thews of the Gods lets you pick up "anything smaller than a large building," though of course, your GM will have to decide what constitutes "a large building"), but said utility does not even come close to the level of Artifice, Command, Knowledge, etc. for actually distorting the narrative and changing the world.

If you want to build a dedicated combat Godbound and want to spend only one Word on it, I would advise Bow. If you want to devote two Words, then Bow and Sun, because Purity of Brilliant Law can shut down perfect defenses highly cost-effectively. If you want to sink three Words into combat, then Bow, Sun, and either Alacrity or Might, depending on whether you want more actions or higher-quality offense. Be sure to get Nine Iron Walls via lineage or lesser lineage.

I have been playing in the setting of Godbound for quite some time now, and it does not quite enthuse me. It is certainly serviceable, but it is simply not my style of setting.

What I am "looking to accomplish" here is playing a demigod-like character who can change the world, but frankly, given my universally awful experiences with downtime and domain management subsystems across various RPGs, I think I would prefer purely fiated downtime.

Sword is plain better in actual fights. It has things like Unerring Blade (important), Nine Iron Walls (VERY important) and Cutting the Crimson Road (worse in dealing with Mobs than its equivalent in Bow but still ok). Might gives you 19 Strength which translates into more damage and accuracy but its actual Gifts are more situational or gimmicky. Loosening the God's Teeth is good but you can just get it in Artifact sword or something. Leap the Moon is a Greater Gift that is plain worse than Sapphire Wings (a Lesser Gift, just to remind you) which is just a disgrace. I would say you are better off with Alacrity which gives you Faster Than Thought and The Storm Breaks to bend the action economy massively in your favor.

>TIDF
I guess the "DF" is "Defense Force" but "TI"? Also, 2hu is often infuriating to speak with but I find some reaction to them rather childish.

It's worth noting, that while touhou is mechanically capable, you should take his opinion with a grain of salt, since he's pretty much entirely incapable of understanding anything that isn't math.

For evidence of this, consider his complete inability to see a utility for Charm Person in 5th edition.

Frankly, I recommend ignoring him entirely, as most games function just fine if you don't stress their mathematical underpinnings in the fashion he does. The fact he has not, as of yet, found a game that can handle his style of mathematical stressing should indicate that it's not a valid approach to playing games.

As far as "Godbound, but in a different ruleset" is concerned, that is a difficult one. I truly have no solid answer for you there.

You could use an RPG with your favorite combat (e.g. Legends of the Wulin for one-on-one wuxia battles, D&D 4e or Strike! for grid-based tactical combat, Mythender for combat against gods that is profoundly corrupting, an obscure game called Project Rebirth for heavily resource management-based combat with no positioning, etc.), and then simply say that all characters have these wondrous world-changing abilities during downtime.

>I guess the "DF" is "Defense Force" but "TI"? Also, 2hu is often infuriating to speak with but I find some reaction to them rather childish.

It probably stands for Touhou Internet Defense Force, a reference to Jewish Internet Defense Force.

Hey Touhou, since we have you here anyway, have you ever put Fantasycraft through its paces?

Bear in mind that artifacts are GM-approval-dependent, and that, as previously established, Bow is just plain better than Sword.

You want three things as a combat character:

1. Either Bolt of Invincible Skill or Unerring Blade for automatic hits with maximized damage, preferably the former because ranged combat is better than melee combat.

2. Nine Iron Walls, for a round-long perfect defense at a highly affordable price point.

3. Purity of Brilliant Law, so that you can cost-effectively shut down other people's Nine Iron Walls and similar gifts, not to mention any other gifts.

You can pick up any one of these via lineage or lesser lineage as needed.

Charm Person in D&D 5e is generally limited to the scenario of "You absolutely, positively, have to get this person on your side for up to an hour, and afterwards, either will never meet the person or will dispose of the person."

That is what happens when the target is merely a "friendly acquaintance," when the spell lasts for only an hour, and when the target will know you had charmed them when the duration expires.

Yes, that scenario can come up from time to time, but it is narrow and risky enough that I would rather choose another spell.

No, and it does not interest me.

On a more Godbound-related note, I would just like to say that Banner of Passion is a stupidly strong lesser gift. It is completely insane that it targets everyone in line of sight, that it allows you to instill any emotion towards any subject you can think of, and that the effect lasts for at least a day after the Effort is decommitted.

You can have a Godbound with Sapphire Wings fly around while spamming Banners of Passion, instilling positive feelings towards A, B, and C concepts and negative feelings towards X, Y, and Z concepts.

It even works on whole armies.

Banner of Passion is a lesser gift.

It has a much stronger cousin in the form of the Throne-level theurgic invocation Auspice of the Divine King, but apparently, Kevin Crawford says that you will have to drop it sooner or later, and the people you had enthralled with Auspice will realize that they were charmed and will be furious towards you:
plus.google.com/109542481433257987536/posts/i3p8ceT2VEy

One would wonder why the "people will realize they were charmed and will be furious towards you" caveat is not written into the actual invocation. For that matter, one would wonder why no such caveat exists for the game's many, many mind-affecting abilities, such as Banner of Passion.

>You could use an RPG with your favorite combat and then simply say that all characters have these wondrous world-changing abilities during downtime.
This is precisely what I don't want to do, and why our opinions on Strike! in particular are diametrically opposed. I don't think there should be any difference or separation between what characters can accomplish in combat and what they can do outside of battle. I take the Angry GM approach that combat encounters aren't a thing, that deadly conflict is something that scenes flow naturally into and out of. If a character can throw fireballs during a fight they can damn well create and control fire when they're not fighting. Mechanics and rules exist to establish the world and its rules, and having certain abilities only function during/outside of combat only makes sense in, say, Megaman BattleNet where the combat is literally happening in a simulation with fundamentally different rules from reality.

So, with that established, what's a good system for running a game about mortals in a fantasy world who get access to magical powers from purviews you'd associate with D&D Cleric Domains?

Godbound does, in fact, have a setting conceit that separates regular abilities from downtime abilities: Dominion.

Godbound can spend Dominion to erect truly marvelous, completely world-changing wonders... off-screen, during downtime.

Of course, the way the faction subsystem works heavily undermines this, as laid out in , which is why Godbound's faction subsystem is bunk.

>Bow is just plain better than Sword
Bow has no intrinsic downsides aside from its lack of defense options which can be patched by poaching Nine Iron Walls from lineage, yes. Godbound falls into yet another trap that Exalted 2E also met and allows ranged builds to kite forever and snipe people from the other side of the world while allowing you to have good defense. For example, there is no penalty to shooting without aiming or shooting in melee. Still, your GM can just say "no lineages in this game" and it becomes less viable unless he also allows you to make your own custom defensive Lesser Gift in Alacrity or something. All that said I can't REALLY agree with you because sometimes people just want to use sword instead of a bow. While majority of your personal enjoyment comes from being as optimal as possible, others may put their high concept before that. It's not like melee build are incapable of achieving great results which you have been a witness of.

I would treat most of what 2hu says as theorycrafting and that's it. It often points into design problems that also often do no come up in actual play for many people but can if you pay attention to such things.

>Banner of Passion is a stupidly strong lesser gift.
It really, REALLY is. I can attest that the Only limiter that Banner of Passion has is basically GM fiat at how NPC will act on their new emotions. You can make whole armies love and adore you and if you couple it with Snuff the Heart's Candle you can mold people's loyalties as you see fit for literally zero Effort.

>"people will realize they were charmed and will be furious towards you"
It is explicitly stated on page 26 that people that fail their saving throws against mind affecting powers have no idea that they are controlled. I guess they could get some idea if you made them to do truly outrageous things and then the power passes so they can reflect on it but it is in the real of GM fiat.

>I don't think there should be any difference or separation between what characters can accomplish in combat and what they can do outside of battle.

If anything, Strike! is better at this than Godbound, since you can use skills and tricks (and possibly related kit abilities) in battle, while you can't really spend dominion in battle.

>Godbound does, in fact, have a setting conceit that separates regular abilities from downtime abilities: Dominion.
Yes. I know. That's why I'm looking for recommendations for a system that DOESN'T do that. I did say that I didn't like Godbound's rules, didn't I? That's one reason of many.

Y'know, I could probably just play in Godbound's setting using the Nobilis 3E rules.

>Of course, the way the faction subsystem works heavily undermines this, as laid out in , which is why Godbound's faction subsystem is bunk.

What's the problem?

The Faction system is a very thin, shaky framework that can transform simple villages to citadels in a few months if they are left undisrupted BY THEMSELVES. No help needed. It works if your GM arbitrates it and stops absurdities emerging but why are they allowed to emerge at all?

>but why are they allowed to emerge at all?

Because the GM is expect to sit in as an arbitrator. It's like you people have this weird idea that games should function completely autonomously with the GM as window-dressing to keep the players feeling awesome or something.

God I wish they just stuck with calling them referees.

>It's not like melee build are incapable of achieving great results which you have been a witness of.
Some of which is due to house ruling Sword gifts to be on par with Bow gifts.

>It is explicitly stated on page 26 that people that fail their saving throws against mind affecting powers have no idea that they are controlled.
This, I missed. This makes Banner of Passion confirmed to be enormously overpowered, and it is actually superior to Auspice of the Divine King in this sense.

Why use the faction subsystem at all if it has to constantly be massaged and revamped to make the results vaguely sensible?

>games should function completely autonomously with the GM as window-dressing to keep the players feeling awesome or something.
That is not true, but if you are introducing a system with concrete rules then at least try to make sure those rules make sense. I have nothing against crunchy rules or rules being mostly narrative guidelines (I like Powered by the Apocalypse games, for example) and I can play with GMs adjusting things as long as they are consistent and fair. Those problems do not make it unplayable and you can even ignore them. But they are still there and Rule Zero does not mean you can be lazy.

I would prefer it if things like simple farming villages received no numerical stats but simple narrative lists of their features or problems. Putting continent-spanning empires and hamlets on a 5 point scale was a mistake.

>Some of which is due to house ruling Sword gifts to be on par with Bow gifts.
The only thing that was houseruled is making Cutting the Crimson Road a copy of Rain of Sorrow. That hardly had any impact as we were facing off with mostly singular enemies since then, and I still performed well using unchanged Cutting the Crimson Road.

>it is actually superior to Auspice of the Divine King in this sense.
Various GMs can add Auspice's clause to the Banner, especially if the victims were made to do truly outrageous things. Even if you did not feel anything strange suddenly feeling the urge to kill all of your family would make people question their own sanity. That does not change the fact that Banner of Passion is way too strong for a Lesser Gift.

>Putting continent-spanning empires and hamlets on a 5 point scale was a mistake.
The scale actually goes from "farming hamlet" to "globe-spanning empire" with the same action economy for each, which makes for a completely ludicrous faction subsystem.

>That hardly had any impact as we were facing off with mostly singular enemies since then, and I still performed well using unchanged Cutting the Crimson Road.
This does not change the fact that Rain of Sorrow is superior to Cutting the Crimson Road in the vast majority of situations, on top of ranged combat being better than melee combat by default.

>Various GMs can add Auspice's clause to the Banner
Perhaps, but that is not a default rule.

It is superior, and ranged combat's general superiority over melee is something I am also not too happy about, but it did not show up in practice so the difference is probably not significant enough to dissuade people from playing melee builds if they want to.

This is because the GM was playing nicely during combat encounters and never actually pitted the party against dedicated ranged opponents at a distance.

Your character also has Sapphire Wings, and the same cannot be said of all melee characters, especially those built by new players falling into a classic trap.

Flickering Advance or Faster Than Thought would be good enough for anti-kiting, I think. Yes, that means you have to use Gifts to counter Bow's intrinsic advantage. But that does not invalidate my point that people will want to play melee builds and you can't dissuade them from it. Melee builds work even if you have to put more into them.

From a game design perspective, in an epic fantasy demigod RPG, why should melee combat be at an inherent disadvantage compared to ranged combat in the first place?

Even knowing that combat is actually Exalted 2e-style attrition of perfects, ranged battle methods are simply the superior option.

I already conceded to that so I am not sure why you are repeating your point. Ranged combat is better and it is bad from game balance and design perspective. People will still want to play melee builds and that CAN be done even if you have to account for inherent disadvantage (assuming that players and GMs will stress ranged's advantage). The practical difference in power is not always as grave as you portray it but it is there. That's it.

>Why use the faction subsystem at all if it has to constantly be massaged and revamped to make the results vaguely sensible?

Guidelines. You'd understand this if you weren't some manner of demented robot that shouldn't be allowed within a 100 miles of a game.

>But they are still there and Rule Zero does not mean you can be lazy.

Sure, no system is perfect. But this game, like each and every OSR game is designed the expectation that the DM will take an active hand in smoothing it out. It's from a design school that precedes the notion of stripping the DM of their responsibilities and role in the game.

Touhoufag is just an autistic cretin that makes games worse.

Okay skimming this thread it seems like there's an animu avatarfag shitting the whole thing up, I just wanted to talk about Godbound. Can someone break this autism down for me? What's going on? Why isn't this guy either being ignored or shit on until he leaves?

He's touhoufag, a munchkin optimizer that's fundamentally incapable of understanding roleplaying. He takes savage delight in tearing apart games, and hasn't yet come to the realization that the fact that none of them hold up to his bullshit is indicative of the fact it's not a valid way to approach things. He's the worst thing short of Jim Profit and Virtual Optim.

Oh, while I'm at it, he was also once permabanned for ban-dodging but has since returned.

And so... the rest of you even acknowledge this worthless faggot's presence why? I remember when whiteagle used to shit up every LEGO game thread by shilling his trash nobody wanted to play, and people would just shit on him whenever he appeared, until it stopped.

>permabanned for ban-dodging
>but came back
I can't figure this out.

He moved, I guess.

Also he's a pedophile

Is Fire, Endurance and Bow good build for combat optimized character?

Because he's worth more than you.

I dare say that Fire is perhaps the worst Word in the entire book, as my fellow player in alludes to. It is primarily combat-oriented, but its combat gifts are nowhere on the level of those of Bow or Sword. Its utility gifts can prove useful, but they are nowhere as narrative-warping and world-changing as the likes of Artifice, Command, Knowledge, Passion, and so on.

Fire could have had potential if the writer had actually written some gifts related to its "ties to passions of fury and lust," but that never happened.

Endurance is a decent Word, but in terms of actual durability in combat, it is outshone by Sword's Nine Iron Walls. Endurance is also middling in terms of anything narrative-warping or world-changing.

If you would like the best possible combat-oriented Godbound, I would look into the post here . Namely, take:

1. A lineage or lesser lineage for Sword's Nine Iron Walls.
2. Bow, for Bolt of Invincible Skill. Ranged combat is simply superior to melee combat in Godbound.
3. Sun, for Purity of Brilliant Law, and possibly Creation's First Light if you want to really cheese ( boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/49325021/#49336211 ) long-range sniping.
4. Either Alacrity or Might, depending on whether you want more actions or higher-quality offense on your attacks.

Be sure to invest a Fact in the Lesser Strife of the Bitter Rival. This way, you can open up combat with highly accurate attacks and a bonus attack, because you can pick out a single target to focus on.

If the GM approves of artifacts at character creation, then that changes things, because then you can have an artifact of, say, Might's Loosening God's Teeth.

>A lineage or lesser lineage for Sword's Nine Iron Walls.
There's a lineage with Nine Iron Walls?

By default, there is none among the five major lineages.

Thanks to the lesser lineage rules from page 31 of Ancalia: The Broken Towers, however, any player can simply declare a lesser lineage to have the gift they want, no GM intervention required.

>As the GM, you might want to create a new lineage for your own campaign, or a player might have an idea for a particular lineage of their own. Creating these minor bloodlines isn't difficult, though the steps depend on whether or not a player wishes to have one for a PC.

>If a Godbound PC from these lesser lineages is desired, the player should just describe the particular way in which the Khamite theoeugenicists modified their ancestors. The PC can pick a single lesser gift from an appropriate Word to represent their lineage abilities, paying only one gift point for it whether or not they've bound the appropriate Word. It's not usually necessary to worry about the mechanical details of the lineage's lesser talents.

Because while 2hu's feedback is sometimes misguided and unaplicable to the games of other people, it also often points at math and design problems. It has to be filtered through their "always optimal conditions and very RAW" viewpoint but it can help.