MM17 Prediction Game

MM17 spoilers start in a few hours. Let's play a game. Name the first three cards that WotC spoils in order to get us lemmings to preorder a box or two.

>> Liliana of the Veil. Old Art. Mythic.
>> Snapcaster Mage. New Art. Rare.
>> Horizon Canopy. Old Art. Mythic.

>>> Snapcaster Mage. New Art. Rare.

I want to see Grove of the Burnwillows! FutureSight art! Make it happen Wizards!

Snibbedi Snab:DD is an almost certain inclusion.

> Box art looks a lot like a blue wizard. What card depicts a blue wizard, and is notable enough to be the face of the booster box?

> When have WotSee before shifted a rare (in the time of mythics) to mythic?

Sorry, Joe, but this one is very plausible.

Hierarch was a rare, user.

Cavern is the only thing they can print to make me excited for this garbage set.

Cavern is too easy to print in a regular set as a money maker for them to put it in Modern Masters. Kinda like fetches.

Has a card with Snapcaster's value been printed at rare in a Masters set before?

Noble Hierarch was about $40 when MM2 came out, kinda like Snapper now.

what are the chances Doubling Season gets reprinted?

Mox Opal

Probably very low. It's been replaced with effects that don't put extra counters on planeswalkers.

We already have Grissy B, Domri Rade and Stoic Angel on pack art.

And if previous MM are anything to go on, it will be garbage. Like, absolutely terrible. What WotC SHOULD do is take the too 250 most expensive Modern cards and reprint them with an unlimited run.

What they WILL do is preserve their precious "Healthy Draft Environment" and continue to Jew people with 10$ packs while not giving us sufficient reprints and putting garbage like comet storm at mythic.

But you might get a goblin guide!

>maybe get one card that needs a reprint
>when snappy, lili, Zen fetches and countless other cards are still $50 +

Great. There's no reason any card should be more than $10. There should be some entry barrier for players, because then you have to be at least moderately serious to play, but $800 decks is ridiculous.

Hey, that blue man on the box might be snapman. Why dont you preorder a few boxes with my affiliate link and just relax lmao.
starcitygamescom/youreadumbgoipayme

>then you have to be at least moderately serious to play,

Not even that. You play chess set on a $1 set and take the game very seriously. There are some people on cockatrice that take the game very seriously.

They'll probably put a snabcaster in that duel deck and call it a day

The chances of Wizards knowingly putting a $40 card on a duel deck are about as high as Liliana being a common in MM3.

When exactly do the spoilers start?

Would you guys be more okay with the focus on draft if the packs were 4 dollars a pack?

I don't get the question. Who would not be "more okay" with paying $4 instead of $10?

If what you are asking is whether $4 a pack would make Modern Masters okay, the answer is no, and draft formats have nothing to do with it. Every single set that comes out is focused on draft. Only it is not because of draft, but rather it is an excuse for 90+% of the cards being utter shit. Modern Masters sets are intended to make Modern more affordable. And they do nothing of the sort. Better reprints at lower rarity and larger print runs is what is necessary. Dropping the MSRP will do very little if most of the product is in the hands of big retailers. Or are you suggesting that stores sell for $4 a product they know they can sell for $10? That is never going to happen.

>a prediction game thread
>using Soothsaying instead of Predict
Mildly reeeee'd

You heard it from me first

Snap and Lili are expedition/masterpieces to help preserve the secondary market.

Those are the only needed reprints that get printed, this set is very focused on draft and will be better than OG MM but at the cost of fewer reprints.

>> better

That word does not mean what you think it does.

Zen fetches reprints

cards that, if reprinted, would make me buy boxes:

Kitchen Finks
Voice
Chord
Lili
Snap
Enemy fetches
Damnation
Blood Moon

I would also buy boxes if they were at $4 a pack and they contained even a few cards I'd like to get my hands on.

>Enemy fetches
>Damnation

There is no way they reprint those in MM17. Enemy fetches are a silver bullet money making scheme for a shitty standard set.

Damnation was a mistake and there is no way it is coming back. If they did not reprint it in FtV:Annihilation, it is never coming back unless there is a literal End of Days event. For all intents an purposes, Damnation is on the reserved list.

Yeah but it requires a tribal theme in the set. We just got out of Innistrad, so there's a very low chance that it will get a reprint in standard any time soon. I'd prefer it, but it's just not happening while Eldrazi are in standard.
MM17 is going to Innistrad. If it's going to happen in the next few years, it'll happen here.

>a bunch of mythics and chase rares
Jesus these are $10 packs. There should be value in the uncommons/commons for you to even consider buying packs, much less a box. You cannot buy packs for the rares/mythics in sets with Domri and Stoic Angel on the pack art. That's absolute lunacy.

I'll buy boxes if they reprint Bolt at common, Path at Uncommon, Push at Uncommon, etc.

Every set can be given a tribal flavor in a pinch. i agree that it should not be on the same standard as Eldrazi, but once they are gone, it is open season. Aetherborne could have been more tribal in Kaladesh. Mummies or whatever in Amonkhet could be given a tribal flavor.

The fact that Cavern of souls is an obviously powerful card, and hence, an expensive one, and that it was given a generic name is a clear indication that it can come back anywhere, any time.

>hey thinks they won't goyshift snapcaster up to mythic

snapcaster is guaranteed to be a mythic after what happened to goyf and bob.

im hoping for cavern of souls and craterhoof behemoth reprint

also, theres rumours of guide being reprinted

I also want that so bad.

On a good note, the price is on the way down anyway.

Alright here are the safe guesses
>Snapcaster. Mythic
>Mox Opal, Mythic
>Emerakul, Mythic
>Eleshnorn, Mythic
>Syggarda, Mythic
>Path to Exile, Mythic
>Lightning Bolt, Super Mythic

>Path at Mythic
I could see it but I'd be a little mad
>Lightning bolt higher than uncommon
RRRREEEEEEEEEEEE

Damnation won't be reprinted so long as MaRo works at the company.

No word yet I take it?

I would be seriously surprised if anyone at Hasbro asks MaRo for any input beyond lunch orders. Damnation will get reprinted as soon as it is necessary from an economic point of view, and not a minute sooner.

Mythics are
>Linvala, Keeper of Silence
>Omniscience
>Griselbrand
>Liliana of the Veil
>Bonfire of the Damned
>Thundermaw Hellkite
>Tarmogoyf
>Domri Rade
>Voice of Resurgence
>Stoic Angel
>Sen Triplets
>Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
>Ensnaring Bridge
>Oblivion Stone
>Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Snapcaster and Cavern of Souls are rare, there is no shocklands, fetchlands, Hierarch or Damnation.

>youreadumbgoipayme
I chuckled

Hey I'm just starting out on M:TG, I bought a few beginner decks a while back but I don't have anyone to play with (yet, I'm moving to Charlotte NC in a few months)

Where should I really began and can someone give me some tips on building a deck? I know now that I shouldn't have bought those starter decks according to veterans but I really wanted to get started

You should never buy any sealed anything, ever. Get cockatrice, build decks you think you might enjoy and buy only the singles you need.

Extra credit: For any card over $5, go the chinaman route.

Jesus Christ! If you turn out to be right, boxes of this piece of shit will sell for $120 in a couple of months.

>Where should I really began
Some game stores have times for new players to learn.
>can someone give me some tips on building a deck?
Pick a format before you start buying cards. Find out what format is played at your LGS. Playtest on Cockatrice/Xmage before you start spending loads of money on a deck you might not like.
>You should never buy any sealed anything, ever.
Sealed pre-release events are my absolute favorite way to play magic. Drafts are fun too.

>Sealed pre-release events are my absolute favorite way to play magic. Drafts are fun too.
Sealed events are good. Standard Preconstructed Decks are literally designed to be unplayable.
Some Duel Decks and most Commander Preconstructed Decks are very good.

>Teach me how to build a deck
>Sealed pre-release events are my absolute favorite way to play magic.

The guy asks for help to get into constructed formats and you tell him to go to sealed pre-release events. Count to potato, user.

Read my entire post and eat a plate of shit.

I did. Guy asks for help with constructed formats. Somebody tells him not to buy any sealed product, which is pretty sound, standard advice. You say that sealed is your favorite format...

He asked for help with constructed. You mention how much you enjoy sealed. He says constructed. You reply sealed. Constructed. Sealed.

1,2,3,... potato.

Also, sealed is your favorite format, so you are a board certified retard anywho.

Fetches will never happen in supplemental product. Those are reserved for standard sets.

Okay, I'm still a mega noob and am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of this hobby.

I'm not looking to do any tournaments or anything, just weekend fun with people at a store. Any tips you can give me? Also how expensive would you describe this hobby as being?

I'm also confused by legality of cards and such. What exactly does that mean?

There's no rule about that though. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can never happen. Wizards may be inclined to put the ZEN fetches in a supplemental product so we don't have to endure four-color goodstuff cancer in Standard like Khans.

>Somebody tells him not to buy any sealed product, which is pretty sound, standard advice.
No, an user advised to never buy sealed product, ever. My response was that there are times in which buying sealed is not a bad idea. I didn't even bring up the concept of playing sealed formats to improve deckbuilding skills because draft can be very rough to newer players.

My response to the user who actually asked the question had nothing to do with sealed. Again, eat shit.

The thing is, if you want to play with people outside of your group of friends, you need to be competitive. Truly casual groups are a rare animal, outside of kitchen table games.

Standard is a format where only the last sets are legal. Modern goes back to 2005. Legacy and Vintage do all the way back to 1993, so you probably don't want to get near those unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars to play.

If you want to play at a store, you either build a competitive deck, which can cost anything from $100 for a standard deck to $400 for a modern one, or else get ready to lose. A lot. Casual decks get stomped in this game.

It sucks, but that has been the essence of the game since the early days.

My god. You truly are retarded. I'm sorry. I hope one day we find a cure.

Okay.

They print money. This is why. They want a set to sell? Put some incentive in it. Fetches are a huge incentive. Don't think that they were just included for mechanical relevance. They don't want to push duel decks hard enough to include a bomb like fetches. There is no written rule about this because you and I are not privy to the specifics of their business practices. However, if you have a any business sense at all it will make a lot of sense and has been the pattern we've seen

>"we want players to draft this, so we made it identical in feel to every other set, but charge twice as much for you to actually draft it"
Why would I draft something that costs twice as much without being twice as much fun, or at least twice as much crazy? If I'm shitting out that much money I expect an experience I wouldn't get with any other set. Who is the target audience?

>Who is the target audience?
Drafters who get suckered in by mythics.

People who love WotC's cock being rammed down their throat when they buy sub par products.

S-So you have to keep buying new cards is every couple of months just to play?

If you mean in Standard, you could potentially keep your deck and just buy whatever you need from the new set. But eventually, all your cards will rotate out of the format.

In Modern, you pay a higher initial "fee", specially in the form of lands, but cards do not rotate out. On the other hand, cards get banned for not very good reasons, so your deck can become obsolete overnight.

Which is the more common format?

Depends on the store. Ask the owner.

>after what happened to goyf and bob

they have yet to rare->mythicshift from a set that had mythics. They might break that precedent but they haven't yet.

Wow! Thanks for the info! I might have to buy a few original printings

What if Goyf is rare again? It won't happen because of "MUH INVESTORS", but let's pretend.

It's going to be one or two cards that really need a reprint, then the rest is going to be draft jank because fuck people who want to play anything but Standard.

Buying sealed product if:

A) Not playing Limited
B) It isn't sharply discounted

Is retatded, and you're a retatd for advocating it.

Imperial seal mythic rare

Island
Forest
Swamp

I didn't advocate it any more than you just did. Learn to read.

I'll admit to buying a fat pack of a new set when it comes out, partially for my land collection, partially for the spin down, and mostly for the fun of opening boosters. But that's just for fun and I know rarely worth it cash wise.

After that fat pack though I only buy packs to play sealed.

>Island
Excuse me, this set is for Modern staples.

MaRo literally said their official post-Modern format will not include KTK block because they don't want fetchlands to be part of it.

azura lost but sleeking

Depends on the format.
Go to your LGS and ask what formats they play.
>Standard
Money sink, will have to spend $300+ every six months to stay competitive and the format is not enjoyable at all if you're not competitive but a single other player is.
>Modern
You can spend $500 or $1200 on your deck, depends on how hardcore the store is. But that expense will be a once in a lifetime thing unless you pick the absolute best deck and it gets something banned because lol.
>Legacy
Again, can be ultra expensive or rather cheap. But the deal here is that some of the least expensive decks (Manaless Dredge, Burn, Elves, Pox, Merfolk, Affinity, Goblins) can actually beat some of the best decks and at a small scale that's all you need. Unless you're going to Legacy GPs picking a deck that can beat 2/4 consistently among Miracles, Delver, Storm and Show archetypes means you've got a deck that can win local tournaments. Again, one time expense.
>Commander
This has the most ridiculous cost curve depending on the locals. If they're all weenies you can get by with a $35 prebuilt deck. If they're all assholes you need a $900 supertuned asshole combo deck.

That doesn't mean a whole lot.

It means fetchlands won't be reprinted in the foreseeable future.

Standard is a much smaller investment.
If I were you Play casually, buy a deckbuilder's toolkit to get an idea of the mechanics, and show up for the Amonkhet pre-release.
>low-pressure format
>everybody building stuff for the first time
>promos
>prizes
Then build a standard deck off of what you like from the pre-release.

If you play modern, play red. The cards are super cheap.

>This has the most ridiculous cost curve depending on the locals. If they're all weenies you can get by with a $35 prebuilt deck. If they're all assholes you need a $900 supertuned asshole combo deck.

Thank goodness there is only one asshole in my group.

The best way to play commander is to have multiple decks of varying powerlevels, using chinamen fakes or other proxies where necessary.

>complaining because he can't afford a real deck

why play commander?

Theyre gunna reprint bood moon, i feel it in my bones.

>If you play modern, play red. The cards are super cheap.
Have you seen the price of a blood moon lately?

I have that feeling too

I predict balancing for limited and throwing cards that nobody wants ever will ruin the set

Again.

But user you wouldn't want an unfun draft environment would you?

now give me $10 a pack goyim, I need to hire lawyers to cover my ass over the reserved list.

Spoilers when?

Just four more hours.

LotV
Snapcaster
Abrupt Decay
Voice of Resurgence
Maze's End
All 10 Gates
Cavern of Souls
Falkenrath Aristocrat
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Supreme Verdict
Karn

Shocklands will not be in. Hoping for Urzalands and Temple to be at uncommon but I doubt it.

I got mine from the first mm and its value is constantly rising albeit minimaly

They shift rarity all the time see Bob and goyf

So will we get a semen sight reprint?

jizz visions? it's already been reprinted to hell and really cheap iirc

>Karn
Yes, PLEASE

They arent printing ponder, gitprobe, or preordain. They dont want the last two blue players to have an anurysm and the set needs a cantrip.

>>This has the most ridiculous cost curve depending on the locals. If they're all weenies you can get by with a $35 prebuilt deck. If they're all assholes you need a $900 supertuned asshole combo deck.

commander is fairly unique as a format since i'd argue that the primary purpose of the format isn't winning. it's basically an unspoken agreement that everyone builds their deck at 75% power because if everyone builds at 100%, it'll be 4 guys tutoring for the same combo every game, and that's pretty boring

so basically, i'd say the average cost of a typical commander deck is about $150-250. less than that and you might have trouble with mana fixing and staying competitive in the 75% meta. more than that and you're basically just throwing money into trash because no one gives a shit whether your commander deck can win or not. it's all about that spicy tech and flavor.

Commander babby, can confirm its about the spicy tech and janky combos. It the only format where extra turns, LD and combos result in you losing more games than you win.

>Tunning down your edh deck so you can have "fun"
This fucking casualfags are more stupid everyday

My narset deck and Breya deck say otherwise, faggot