/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.
>how have you venerated the Raven Queen lately?

Repostan

So I've never played Druid before, doing a Firbolg Moon Druid now and feeling a bit lost. My party is rogue (swashbuckler twf), ranger (ranged hunter but with defense fighting style for some reason) and two monks (OH and shadow, both only at 18 dex because stormwind fallacy), all of us level 8. I figured moon druid for tanking would be good, I've got 1 feat left over (rolled a 16 so I have 20 wis using the first ASI) and I think Tome of Beasts is fine but not sure about other third party books. Any recommendations for feats/spells/animals? The ranger has Pass Without Trace but idk which other spells. We'll be fighting aberrations and vampires in a megadungeon first, then some other stuff I think and then a lot of undead.

>Patron is a level 1 feature though, so there can be a patron that changes your spellcasting attribute.
I'm just curious as to whether or not changing them entirely to INT as a houserule would make the class unplayable. It just doesn't seem like that strong of a class if you take away the use of CHA as a primary attribute. I mean, imagine going Bladelock with INT as your primary attribute. That seems like it would be downright awful. So I'm a bit stuck.

>Aasimar unfortunately make only half decent Paladins and Clerics, when the should be better for it.

what more could you possibly want beyond resist necrotic, +2 cha, +1 wis con or str and an extra +level to 1.5 level DPR every now and again?

> people who doesn't know that true polymorph take away your spell casting class feature
> people who doesn't who that polymorph can be dispel

>that tall qt next to the human
that's a female firbolg, right? Because she's adorable
I want her to princess carry me

And I meant that for paladins. For clerics, the only +2 wis race is fuckin Tumblrnose with no real racial abilities, or perhaps a variant human (second most overpowered race strikes again) with a +1 to wis feat.

I didn't know there was a high res version of that pic, that's good as a reference because I feel like the Firbolg PC I made looks too much like just a hueg elf with an amish beard.

>fetishizing male weakness

I'll never understand giantfags.

The class's dark spellcaster theme lends itself to deception and intimidation, but that's not so different from enchanter and illusionist.

>every encounter must have a spellcaster to compensate for overpowered polymorph spells.

If the nose was bigger, broader and chunkier and the ears were a bit more swoopy (?) it would look quite like one, but yeah it mostly just looks like an elf. Bushier and messier eyebrows and not as fine blond-looking hair might help as well, though a blond Firbolg sounds pretty cool.

Sentinel is amazing, getting to attack on reaction regularly is bueno. Secondly as long as you keep your reaction for opportunity attacks, things don't get to leave your bubble without say.

Warcaster could be good if you plan on spellcasting for buffs then wildshape. Barkskin + Wild Shape will give you a nice AC. Faerie Fire and Call Lightning aren't bad either.

Mobile is good too for keeping you moving around the battlefield. If you happen to be fighting a lot of spread out battles it may be important for you to change position through enemy lines often.

Skilled helps character building and instantly makes you much more effective out of combat but the word "megadungeon" and out of combat encounters usually don't meld well.

Observant is the last one, having a crazy high passive perception is good and having one person in the party with it is great. It would have to go into intelligence but the bonuses aren't bad especially where traps are found.

Nah, I'm not like that, I just think she's cute. I don't really fetishize the whole princess carry thing but the only other thing I could think of was "hug" and princess carrying is basically the same as hugging just more interesting

nah its more like
>true polymorph lets you turn monks and warlocks into relevant members of the party

Hey, warlocks can get their own TP.

Thanks, I think sentinel will be my choice since it's going to be dungeon-heavy to start at least, and my gm doesn't use passive perception so observant isn't very good in general. Alert might be good though, he's quite loose with the surprise rules and my initiative is like +2.

The warlock: a problem that fixes itself, one way or another

Although becoming a full on pit fiend at level 20 is an honestly rather cool epilogue for a warlock.

Warlocks are always relevant if built right though.

>eldritch blast damage
>silent image at will
>disguise self at will
>levitate at will
>familiars that can turn invisible at will, and easily help action the main damage dealer of the party, giving them advantage every attack, all while flying in and out of range of melee attacks for free
>better smites than the paladin with bladelock
>knows more cantrips than the bard with tome

Warlocks are great. I wish I could actually play the game so I could play them.

>Parties that polymorph their allies into some big brutish beast and still play them as being the same creature, despite only retaining "alignment and personality" and dropping to 3 int

>and dropping to 3 int

Well yes, eventually the polymorph effect is gonna end and the monk's int is going to go back to what it was before, you don't have to rub it in

>>better smites than the paladin with bladelock
Now this I've gotta see.

continuing my GOOlock.

I think Pact of the Chain is most fitting for "MUH EYESIGHT" as a theme.

I think a little floating Ghastly-type shadow eyeball would be neat.

Question is, should I go Imp for Invisibility or Gazer because it's more fitting to refluff into one?

Check the new UA. PHB and Hexblade Bladelocks (Undying gets fucked yet again) get invocations that summon a special weapon that can burn a spell slot for 2d8 * slot level damage with additional effects varying by pact, such as no-save knocked prone or speed reduced to zero.

Do you guys think they're going to lift the "PHB +1" rule for AL when PHB2 comes out, or are Genasi going to be banned from using all of the elemental magic sorcerers, again?

>without unearthed arcana:
Using the vanilla, suggested adventuring day rules, a 2 Pal/XWarlock can pump out more total spell levels into smites than the paladin can, if both players use spell slots only for smiting. This basically means the warlock will pump out more smite damage than the paladin. At all levels IIRC, and even taking into account how some of the warlock smite levels are wasted due to the smite damage cap. It's been a while since I did the math.

>New Warlock UA
Pure warlocks smite twice as efficiently as paladins, with their smite damage capping at 10d8 as opposed to 5d8. The same math as above applies too, so they get to smite more often than paladins.

>Disguise Self at will
A wizard can pretty much replicate this, if you work out how frequently you rest versus how frequently you disguise (even if you're being liberal with your disguises) thn unless you disguise all day long from your party you don't really need it at-will when you have wizard spell slots and arcane recovery.
>Silent image at will
Kind of like the above. If you REALLY need to spend your action in combat to do that (It can be pretty nice) you can usually afford to spend a level 1 spell slot on it. Usually. That said, you could get some great flavourful out of combat usage iwth this, like disguise self at will.
>Levitate at will
Eh, or a wizard can just fly, I guess, but it's not so bad.
>Familiars
Invisibility isn't all it's souped up to be and wizards get free familiars too. But it is still a bit better, though you have to use your pact option on it.
>Better smites
With the UA, yes. With the UA, I'd say warlock can be pretty decent, but certain changes need to be made. Seriously, some of those things such as at-will seeing through walls.
>Knows more cantrips than a class that starts with two cantrips
Actually, the bard CAN get more cantrips by using their magical secrets on cantrips. But that's stupid unless you're multiclassing paladin and want charisma shillelagh. Similarly, warlock gets charisma shillelagh, but at level 3 instead of 6.

Warlocks are really flavourful but they kinda need the latest UA to reach tier 1 material.

I guess the tradeoff there is that the Paladin has armor, huh?

If you take hexblade, you get medium armor proficiency. Or you can just take 2 levels of paladin at the start, so you can Paladin Smite and Warlock Smite in the same turn (for 30d8 Smite damage in the first turn, with 2 attacks). You get Heavy Proficiency then.

The pal/warlock does too in this case, obviously.

That being said, the paladin's main niche is great party wide buffs and allowing his party to succeed in saves, and so being more offensively powerful than a primarily defensive class in the hopes you will get lots of short rests seems a reasonable tradeoff.

Yeah, and the fact that Warlocks only get 2 spell slots per short rest for most of the game that actually gets played.
Hexblade actually gets Medium armor and some lenience from MAD by having one handed pact weapons use Cha, but then their special weapon is a Greatsword, enabling GWM but causing more MAD. GOO gets a flail with reach, Fiend gets a mace (so you could multiclass monk I guess), and Fey gets a bow, but while bow-smites are cool their special ability is just werewolf-deterrent.

Really, the point in all this is that they're a potential draw for Bladelocks, they're REALLY good bait for dipping Warlock 3 and combining it with Paladin so you get more smites over the average day as well as armor, fighting style, etc (you can even triple-smite by using a smite bonus action spell, then burning a slot for Divine Smite and warlock!smite) or multiclassing Bladesinger (MAD as shit, but you could hang at 13 Wis and Cha and max Int/Dex, take Warlock 3/Monk 1, and have spell slots forever for Mace of Dispater smashing.)

>armor of hexes
no tradeoff here senpai

That's a good point. the moon druid gets two uses of wild shape per short rest, or one of elemental shape. The smite warlock gets two hits.

Dexterity determines modifiers on attack rolls with half of the available weapons in the game, modifiers on initiative rolls and a modifier on your AC, provided you don't wear armor that is too heavy.

Is it safe to say that dexterity's got too much that's reliant on it?

Hex Warrior
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons. In addition, when attacking with a melee weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two handed property, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.
>Lance; Reach, Special
TONIGHT, WE RIDE

It's the godstat, I don't know how you define what is "too" much though. It's not like strength isn't viable, but the barbarian has to require strength to be used with some features and heavy armor needed to be +1 ac than the best of the others to make up for it for example. A perfect system would probably not need those kinds of fixes and have a more balanced core, but that's not 5e at all. 4e does stats well I think.

Actually, you can use any Versatile weapon, too.

Yes.

I think allowing players to add Int to initiative (using the justification laid out in the Loremaster UA), at the very least, would help lessen the issue.

Why would they put points into Int for initiative when they can put points into Dex for initiative, AC and attack roll modifiers?

Unless they're a wizard that is, the only class that cares about Int.

He's probably playing in a game with a viable psionics class. (Expect it to be added to 5e in 2018, 4th quarter!)

INT skills, I guess.
The highest INT bonus in my party is +1, which only ever comes up when we need stuff like a knowledge skill.

On a scale of 1-"why" how stupid is Sharpshooter Warlock?

Completely viable as UA Fey

Not really, dex is about where it should be. All the best fighting techniques generally depend on str. The fact that you ***CAN*** use dex to fight doesn't mean its a great idea.

If you are Archfey Moon Bow -lock, 600ft radiant smites are pretty awesome.

I don't think that's the issue so much as 90% of characters are going to take high DEX because there's no reason not to.

That's +1 damage though, not a big deal really. Reach is very nice and seems like just the best option if you don't want a shield.

>dex is where it should be
>trade -1 on AC for +5 on dex saves
>used on initiative and more skills
>lots of dm just let athletics check be acrobatics instead
How can STRcucks even compete?

Same as constitution, and intelligence in 3e.

>How can STRcucks even compete?

with polearms and great weapon fighting I guess

Looking for some awesome Bladesinger setups if anyone has some.

Or opinions on them as well

So I got bored today and made a beholder from a ping pong ball, milliput and beads....look ok?

Thin your paints.

Pretty nice senpai

Is there any meme-tier Monk multiclasses or is it pretty much best without multiclassing?

I don't think "3e had the same problem" is a valid reason to not fix something

I like it. Been meaning to do one like this, but I honestly think I could probably buy a Reaper Bones figure for cheaper than I could buy the craft supplies I need.

Assassin Rogue 6/Shadow Monk 14 for ultimate Ninja

My mistake, meant to say
Is there any meme-tier Monk multiclasses *for levels that I'll actually get to play

Its not something that requires a fix. Dex is more of an economic way for a not very combat focused character to cover a lot of bases at once, or for a strictly ranged character. In, say, 4e, nothing stops you from having a top notch melee character that uses intelligence, wisdom, or charisma, so the stats have to be more balanced in a vacuum there.

It would benefit EKs just as much as wizards, since they cast with it and can wear heavy armour and use non-finesse weapons.

I hear you, however I just didnt like the bones one

No, to the average grognard who posts on forums and chinese wowfarming boards, that is a valid reason. Remember, 5e was hailed as a return to the roots of DnD, which to these retards basically means their 3.pf comfort zone.

It's a core issue with D&D, as long as universally good things (like hp, ac, strong saves) are determined by stats, some stats will be better than others. I think 4e did it well (haven't played it) with being able to choose which stat out of two the saves rely on and most classes/paths having several stats to rely on.

Amazing projection

Meant to also say that you can balance it out by having universally good things determine by stats equal out, say you make initiative int and make charisma and strength matter somehow, suddenly there is no universal set of dump stats but rather will depend on what the character wants to do and be good at. But because it's a streamlined version of previous editions and this has been a thing in D&D, it's not something they sought to solve.

Right, but since you can use any stat to beat people up with nearly any weapon in 4e, of course the stats are going to be more evened out.

Yes, I am projecting my own intense desire for 3.pf mechanics, despite obviously hating that element of the community.

Amazing armchair psychology!

Is Long Death Monk any good?

I never hear anyone here talk about it.

What would you guys think of an elemental warrior monk sound like? Instead of being a poor-man's sorcerer like Wot4e, they could attune to elements for permanent effects.

Things like 1d4 fire damage to martial arts attacks, getting reach, gaining AC etc.

It would emphasize more on a monk doing monk things than trying to spellcast with monk fluff.

There's nothing to discuss really. It's okay, but its not anything special. The only major thing to come out of it was the "bag of rats" meme.

>but rather will depend on what the character wants to do and be good at

Largely, that's strength for melee.

opinions at least?

what is even the question? what sort of stupid bits of multiclass fuckery can you set up to result in a gigantic AC dude?

>The only major thing to come out of it was the "bag of rats" meme.
I never actually looked at it when that was happening but it doesn't say "a hostile creature" so I guess it could fit, and it could even fit in character as something fucked up this crazy-ass death monk does.

Still doubt any DM would allow it.

Wonder if I could get an Undying Warlock/Long Death Monk working together, that seems like it could make a good backstory.

Didn't you see the Mace of Dispater Monk Bladesinger a few threads back?

Fiend Bladelock 3 (For Mace of Dispater)
Monk 1 (To be able to use Mace with Dex)
Bladesinger ----> (For all the reasons you know)

You miss on 9th level spells but are able to make insane 16d8 smites and 30AC and can knock down Huge creatures.

Yeah, I'm glad that sort of cancer was shut down though.

>30AC
explain how

int, wis, dex 20, so +15, shield +5, base 10, ez

Is there any lore book that goes into detail about the various types of magic schools?

Well, even without Wis 20, you can just Mage armor + haste instead of using Unarmored defense.

>int, wis, dex 20

Even at my most absurd level 20 builds, I keep it to 2 stats maxed out.

>concentration keyword

Just because you could doesn't mean you should

Why are halflings always depicted so fucked up? Why cant' they just be half the size of humans without fucked up heads?

>not polymorphing into a spellcasting creature with counterspell

Then you wouldn't be furiously masturbating to CharOp

Yes, 2e's Complete Book of Necromancers. Or is the question "Does 5e, an edition with nearly fucking nothing printed for it, have a fluff book solely about wizards?"

Nah, just anything printed over the years.

Is there some mega with old school pdfs that would have that?

that image looks fine to me

would Restrained remove one's capacity to use somatic components?

Armor rules seem to suggest "yes"

Also you can't PAM effectively with warlock weapons and attempting to switch to a PAM weapon fucks up invocations such as lifedrinker because it needs to be your pact weapon and it takes an action to resummon a new pact weapon.

Yeah in the OSR thread I think. Complete Guide to Wizards or Book of Wizards or whatever has less, but covers all the schools a little.

What are some good spells for a mêlée focussed Stone Sorcerer that ideally doesn't use his ASIs for boosting his charisma past the current 14?

Step 1: Read the book

Gee, that was real fucking hard.

You can't use a shield during bladesong.

Do you guys think we'll be getting a Liber Mortis for 5e anytime soon? I'm building a necromancer for our new game and I'm hopeful that we'll get new kinds of undead and undead related lore.

That's not the ones I'm talking about. You've seen the PHB I assume? Yeah, those.

You can't use a shield or it cancels bladesong.

Since when has Shield Spell cancelled bladesong?

Hm.
You'd need CHA, DEX WIS and INT at 13 for starting stats. Reckon something with INT and DEX to keep your toes light on the ASI, maybe a Gnome or a Triton or something

Starting at 2nd level, you can invoke a secret elven magic called the Bladesong, provided you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield.

Since always, read the fucking book.

>Multiclassing with UA
>Allowing shit like bladesinger 'Give me more AC'
>Having 20 wisdom, 20 dexterity, 20 intellect and 13 charisma