/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Armies Clash Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/.

What class do you play the least, and how come?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/qh3htdvixzytyip/Tokens.rar?dl=0
1d4chan.org/wiki/Pun-Pun
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlZVplZTVZYjdLTHc/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How would you feel about a Theme option for 5th edition, for higher powered campaigns? For reference, Themes were an option introduced midway through 4e that anyone could take, that added features at 1st, 5th, and 10th level.

Monk, I absolutely hate the flavour and context of a kung fu zen-monk romping around a fantasy context.

As a GM, my distaste for them is so great that I only allow them in games if they are coupled with the Far-traveller background, to represent that these skills HAD to have come from an exotic, far away land.

I know it's kind of No-Fun of me, but it is one of my pet peeves. A player in one of the games i'm playing in is a Gnome Monk, whos character has no thought put into it to link him to that kind of class.

He is just a Gnome merchant who is decent at a fist fight, and apparently this eventually allows him to control his natural magic to leap 15 feet vertically, channel his inner chakra to heal himself, and become so zen-peaceful that enemies do not target him in combat due to the serene aura of ki he harnesses.

And also this gnome merchant medidates every rest, he doesn't know why.

The GM knows it pisses me off, so allows the shitty character concept.

>What class do you play the least, and how come?
Druid. I hate their flavour, I hate hippies, I hate enviromentalists, I hate the fact majority of them have no reason to adventure outside of their forests.

We'll get another arcana tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be a complete fucking disappointment.

Never played a wizard or sorcerer. That 1d6 hit die is a huge turn away for me

Is there any place where I can find a bunch of ambient music (no lyrics, except for maybe a chorus)? I am lacking cave music, boss fights music and so on.
Also anyone knows a good theme for a Demon Invocator Wizard boss fight?

So the GM has dumped us in a bullshit situation involving an unbeatable, specifically bred killing machine. Session ended with us trapped with serious injuries and this walking bullshit machine about to make mincemeat of us.

It's currently looking like our only chance of stopping a party wipe is the cleric's divine intervention. Due to their god being completely opposed to the killing machine's origin, if he's requested to smite it and the intervention succeeds, it will definitely happen.

Is there any way of increasing the chances of divine intervention succeeding? I think it's only an 11% chance of success, so is there any way of increasing that?

Rogue. I just can't get into the concepts. The closest I can get is thug murderer dude, but I'd rather run that as fighter.

I samurai jack that shit up

Undercover DM detected, You just want to prevent it from working, you bastard!

IIRC themes replaced existing features/utilities and did not actually make you stronger. But it's possible I recall incorrectly.

Do you allow the Middle-Eastern-inspired wizards? Do you use the Arabian genies/rakshasas/elementals? How about the Oriental ogre mages? Can your characters use scimitars/spiked chains/splint armor?

At some point you must accept that D&D is a ridiculous kitchen sink and the monk only feels out-of-place because it was a more recent addition than the others.

And it's not like the "European" elements are internally consistent, either. Plate armor was invented centuries after firearms. Shields became smaller and disappeared along with the rise of better armor, and were in fact mostly still used by swashbucklers (hint: read the name slowly). Leather armor that isn't scale or lamellar didn't actually exist. Studded leather is someone's fevered dream. And even the weapons that did exist use entirely wrong terminology (don't get me started on swords).

You can disallow elements you personally don't like when you DM, but you simply can't use any consistency- or themed-related arguments to justify them. The setting makes absolutely no sense from any perspective.

>Not realizing druids were fertility priests
>Not playing a class out of hatred for the real-world environment
>Thinking druids don't have a reason to leave the forest but rogues have a reason to leave big cities and barbarians have a reason to leave their tribes
Wew lad

Anyone got the roll 20 Monster Manual tokens and images? It does not seem to be in the trove.

this

It's an older version so I don't know if anything is different but here you go: dropbox.com/s/qh3htdvixzytyip/Tokens.rar?dl=0

Has anyone played a Stone sorcerer yet from one of the latest UAs?

I've never played a gish before and they look kind of fun, wanted to get some opinions.

Someone on the Discord bought it and said he was ripping it, but it's a slow process (since there are like 400-something tokens to rip).

>Already existing thread

Other thread is at bump limit and going down, time to wipe of the dust from this one.

In a bit of an argument with a player.

During downtime, they want to make their own poison.
I've ruled that according to the rules of crafting, it takes a day of downtime and 1 gp to produce a single dose of poison.
When an enemy is struck by a weapon laced with this poison, they take a save of DC 8 + maker's proficiency + maker's Int modifier.
If this save is failed, they are Poisoned for 1 minute.
Applying poison to a weapon takes the Use an Object action.

They say that this is unfair. They want at least two of the following as changes, or they're demanding that I let them change their archetype:
>No cost. Ingredients for poison are common place, apparently.
>More than one dose produced in a day. He said ten to start with but I outright said fuck that, so he suggested five instead.
>Bonus action to apply the poison to a weapon instead of an action, since he is playing an Assassin Rogue.
>No save. The target is immediately Poisoned for 1 minute.

Are any of these acceptable demands, or am I in the right and is the player just trying to push their luck?

>>No cost. Ingredients for poison are common place, apparently.
1 gp is cheap compared to the 150 gp poison in the PHB.
>>More than one dose produced in a day. He said ten to start with but I outright said fuck that, so he suggested five instead.
I think it's possible to make more than one in parallel. I'd max at three though.
>>Bonus action to apply the poison to a weapon instead of an action, since he is playing an Assassin Rogue.
Isn't that weaker than using your interact with object?
>>No save. The target is immediately Poisoned for 1 minute.
Stupid as fuck, do not allow. I'd also allow a save at the end of each round for the poisoned target.

I like all of the classes, but I think barbarian.
When I want to play a tough character I'll play a fighter or a paladin, and I honestly think it's kind of difficult to make a barbarian that isn't your typical dumb tough viking-type.

He's bloody pushing his luck. No save? That's a fuck you to all wizards, ever.

If he could create 10 doses of poison he'll give it to his friends. Imagine what an entire party could do with poison for 1 minute, no save. Think about it. It will be impossible to balance encounters if you don't spam enemies with immunity or resistance against poison.

Firstly, if he wants to get the ingredients for free he has to pick them himself. In the forest. That is going to take time. 1 GP is rather low, though. 5 for one dose and a maximum of 2 doses per day sounds like a decent price.

Bonus action to apply poison sounds like bullshit. Imagine trying to pick up a bottle, uncork it, then dipping a rag into the bottle and finally oiling it all over your daggers. That takes time. At least one turn. It should, however, last a while, excepting rain or the like.

Object interaction =/= Use an Object action
OI is stuff like draw a sword. UaO is stuff like toss down caltrops.

>That's a fuck you to all wizards, ever.

That's pretty much what the 5th Edition rules are as a whole, though.

Whoops, misread. I'd use the same rules as the basic poison from the PHB.

>5e wizards are bad

The 150 gp poison is outright garbage, which is why I decided to give the guy a better deal than that.

75 gp and 30 days to craft one or three instances of DC-10-or-1d4-poison-damage is awful. But I get the feeling that the player's trying to take advantage of my rule's fudging and generosity.

I'm saying that 1 gp is a reasonable price.

> slay living deals a shitton of damage
> disintegrate deals a shitton of damage
> wizard spells are nerfed to hell
> arcane traditions force you to specialize because 5e has shitty charop besides "pick this subclass"
> no interesting builds

Yeah I would say 5e fucked them over pretty badly.

>I miss 3.5 caster supremacy

>>>/pfg/

so you guys think we'll get cucked on the mystic again and not get it this week?

>Missing optimization

Planning on putting my players through a really punishing gauntlet tonight. They're gonna have a powerful enemy chasing them to top it off. I want to really ratchet up the intensity. What are some good gauntlet puzzles/traps/encounters besides just fights?

It's only safe to assume so at this point.

He's a dick who feels entitled to extra class features that aren't in the PHB.

>Wizards are only slightly overpowered in 5e! Q.Q

>He's a dick who feels entitled to extra class features that aren't in the PHB.

Perfectly fair given how shitty the """"options""" are in 5e.

Fighter options are pretty much, pick which of the three archetypes you want, and maybe pick some of the feats. Ability score picks are basically non options and there is nothing in the way of interseting combat maneuvers if you are not a battlemaster. Combat is bland as fuck and based entierly around 4e-style resource management which defeats half the purpose of playing a martial. The game is full of stupid-ass metacurrency where you spend abstract "superiority dice" because the developers are too stupid to create balanced abilities.

Limited usage is a form of balance.
Or are spell slots also "abstract, stupid-ass metacurrrency"?

Except you can have balanced wizards without reducing everything to different flavors of damage that don't even matter.

I haven't played a barbarian, bard, paladin, ranger, monk, sorcerer, or wizard yet.
Bard is the only one of those that I've never even come up with a character concept for to potentially join a game with. I'm just not very interested in them.

Spell slots represent the expenditure of magical energy, something that wizards and druids are aware of.

Spending superiority dice represents nothing but metacurrency bull shit.

That's the difference.

Deal with it.

Ah, so there's no difference other than "earlier editions had spell slots so I don't mind them".
Good to know.

Hey now, character optimization isn't a bad thing provided it's not taken too far.

Playing a kobold and choosing your class/abilities/playstile to get the most out of what a kobold can do is a great idea.

Creating pun pun and destroying your GM's world isn't.

>monk only feels out-of-place because it was a more recent addition than the others.
The Monk class is older than the Cleric you soggy head of broccoli.

I'm making a pure WIS cleric with Magic Initiate Druid but I'm having trouble deciding my Cantrips.

So far I've got Shillelagh and Guidance but I'm not sure what my other two Cleric and last Druid one should be.

Superiority dice represent the extra effort of doing that action you pleb.

>pun pun

is this some story or just a retarded name for a retarded gamebreaker

Nope. Monks were first introduced in Blackmoor as a subclass of cleric.

>[Monks]: Originally introduced in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor supplement. Appropriately enough, it was a sub-class of cleric. A lot of the familiar tropes for the class were already present in 1975: High Wis required, largely lawful, no armor but AC that improves with level, multiple unarmed attacks and scaling fist damage (that tops out at 4d10 at level 16), slow fall, dodging ranged attacks, charm resistance, Quivering Palm... yet curiously had thief skills, a d4 hit die, and proficiency with ALL weapons. ALL of them. Clearly the class had not yet settled.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Pun-Pun

Educate thyself.

Themes were in part transitioned to a core mechanic/flavor of 5th edition called the background.

While they don't quite scale with level or offer a tactical or utility mechanic with measurable effect they do contain story related abilities and provide you with about half of your starting skill, language, or tool proficiency.

Pun Pun's the name given to a busted 3.5 build that let you turn a... I think level 3 Kobold into literal God by combining various splatbooks and very literal RAW into breaking the rules.

I never play Wizard, Sorceror, or Druid.
Mages just aren't my thing.

Fuck me, sorry about that, left a trip on from another thread a board over.

Shit, I guess I'm the soggy vegetable. I'm sure it was one of the "common" or "classic" sounding classes it predated, and I just couldn't remember the right one for my quip.
In any case, it's old as shit.

Hey bo/tg/uys.
I'm going to play in an upcoming campaign and I've decided to try out the new Hexblade warlock.

Going to play as a halforc. DM has also allowed multiclassing.
Is Sorcerer the best bet for a multiclass?
Or should I just go pure?

I was thinking either GOO with the Flail invocation or Fiend Pact with Mace of Dispater.
Just unsure which'll turn out better/has more interesting options.

Except spell slots are fucking gay shit. So are spell points, and similar shit.

What it should be is, you are 8th level? You can cast 8 spells per day. That's it. None of this keeping track of a whole string of numbers for how many spells you can cast per day. It's overly complicated and only sticks around because every edition of D&D has done it.

Oh wait. 4e didn't do it.

So the sacred cow has already been slaughtered. Time to gut it and cut it up for meat and use it for something better.

That doesn't mean that resource management si good for fighters.

So why aren't they based on Constitution?

The answer is, because your argument is fucking bullshit

The class I play the least is Paladin in 5e.
I used to LOVE playing paladin, but mainly because bow paladin was a thing back in Pathfinder.

Also, Paladin feels way too nova in this edition. I've always viewed Paladin as the old, dependable that will never falter. Not "blow my entire load in a round but also turn whatever I'm hitting into a smoldering fucking crater"

>bo/tg/uys
wat

>4e didn't do it
4e wasn't exactly a success story

>wat

I don't know, I'm slightly drunk and I panicked.
Got any input on my minor dilemma?

Can anyone do me a solid? I'm looking for the homebrew Oath of Love for paladins. If you post or link to it, I'll love you forever.

drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlZVplZTVZYjdLTHc/view

I just googled it

Your DM obviously has some anti-bullshit planned.

We are fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls here.

Sorcerer makes little sense for a melee character. I'd take fighter 3 or 4 or go pure. If you can justify it in-game, paladin would be strong.

It'd be hard to justify either Fiend pact or GOO going paladin all of the sudden.
Fighter 3 or 4? Would leave me with a lot less spell slots to pseudo-smite with compared to sorcerer for example.

>4e wasn't exactly a success story

But it had the best spellcasting rules of any D&D edition.

Why do you think so?

>Opinion

This is pretty cool, but im kind of upset there's no Sailor Moon reference.

>ca/tg/irls

Looks like Monk and Thief are both 1975 classes. Thief in Greyhawk and Monk from Blackmoor.

1. I don't make up the stupid board demonyms
2. There are, in fact, female humans on this board

I thought you said you were going to play Hexblade.

>I'm going to play in an upcoming campaign and I've decided to try out the new Hexblade warlock.

I think you're more than slightly drunk and you should probably consider these questions when you're sober, or at least literate.

I'm also curious why you think this?

>I think you're more than slightly drunk and you should probably consider these questions when you're sober, or at least literate.
Not that guy but that statement is 100% coherent. Maybe youre the drunk one?

For a Long Death Monk, what's a good way to get reaction attacks in assuming you're using your SPOOK AURA as an action on most turns?

Sentinel seems like a good choice for a "tanky" Monk.

You can't be a hexblade/GOO or hexblade/fiend pact. They're all patrons. You pick one.
>Not that guy
You know what? I totally believe that. There's plenty of stupid to go around.

>I thought you said you were going to play Hexblade.
Aye I fucked up, I was trying to say that I'll be playing a warlock using invocations from the UA. I may or may not be pretty drunk.

I'm still on the fence on whether to go GOO or Fiend with the new invocations however.
Mostly because it's less MAD than going Hexblade with that invocation and I dislike 2handed weps.

Though I'd have to waste a invocation slot to get Mage Armor when not going Hexblade.

What you're offering them is overpowered.

1gp for a single fucking dose? Really? That's like beggar's money.
One save and then poisoned for a minute on hit? ON HIT? That's like.. I can barely compare it to anything. Imagine getting 'vicious mockery' for free every round, except better without any d4 damages.

It should take an action to apply and last perhaps 10 minutes or so, so you can use it before a battle but it's harder to use in a battle. A thief can use it as a bonus action.

It should cost more, or even better, they have to find certain herbs and can't buy it. They have to pick the herbs within 24 hours, and nobody will sell it due to illegal considerations, though rogue's guild members might teach them how to cultivate it.
The effect would be that if they fail they take 1d6 (2d6 or 3d6 if they do really well and at later levels) poison damage at the start of each turn and are poisoned, but they can save again at the end of each of their turns.

Also, if you get extra attack, you can only possibly have someone make a save due to a weapon once in a round. If you use two-weapon-fighting, it's possible to make two seperate people make saves, but not the same person.

Well, okay, maybe I'm being overly harsh, but the above prevents it from becoming a straight-up buff and more of a 'you have to be prepared'

What they're asking for is spoiled rotten.

>it's less MAD than going Hexblade
All three of the options have to use Strength for their special weapon. You could multiclass one level in monk to use the Mace of Dispater as a monk weapon though.

what would be the best way to multiclass a grave domain cleric

Oh right I fucking forgot that only Hexblade get the "use charisma on your wep" thing that doesn't work with their special invocation.
That shit is a bit fucked.

Multiclassing into monk feels wonky as fuck, though I'll keep that in mind.
The stats I have to work with is 15, 16, 16, 14, 14, 11. DM specified us to roll stats since he's been telling us that it's going to be a bit more lethal than usual.

Of course, this probably means that going a bladelock is a dumb fucking idea but I felt like trying it.
Since I was aiming to go halforc, that gives me an 18 strength to mess around with so that is covered fairly well.

>those stats
you can't die

>mystic coming out ever
I think they are enjoying pissing off the psionic players off to ever release it.

It's going on a melee warlock with a d8 hitdie and at best +2 dex.
Pretty sure I can die fairly well if I get poor RNG.

It feels like Veeky Forums overestimates stats.

You can start with 18 str, 16 con, 16 cha, 14 dex, 14 wis, and 11 int. I think Hexblade for starting with medium armor is pretty good and you could totally use the greatsword.

If not that, you could start with 14+2 str, 15+1 con, 16 cha, 16 dex, 14 wis or int, 11 the other. Use that for fiend and you're also getting some temp HP or use it for GOO and you have a stronger, reach weapon to let you skirmish better, but you'll have to provide your own Temp HP like with armor of agathys.

scrub gm here, starting up a local game of storm king's thunder with friends. what are some must-know pointers or things to avoid when playing SKT?

>Why do you think that?
>Why do YOU think that?

For reference, my standard bladelock recommendation is variant human (moderately armored) for 15+2 str, 13+1 cha, 14 con, 12 dex, 10 wis, 8 int. Or mountain dwarf for 15+2 str, 14 cha, 12+2 con, 13 dex, 10 wis, 8 int. Either one taking heavily armored at 4 for 18 strength and plate.

You'll do fine, compared to that.

Irks me the fuck out that I HAVE to use one of my invocations for Mage Armor on the GOO/Fiend lock.
Or I can use the lvl 4 feat for Medium armor proficiency and use the invocation slot for something a bit more interesting.

I'm really not a fan of 2handed weapons but it seems like Hexblade literally is the only option for a bladelock.

No?

I'm also curious like the other two anons as to why that one user thinks that 4e has the best spellcasting rules.

My standard bladelock recomendation is to play a paladin

>> no cost
i would have it so that more expensive reagents make better poisons. free - 1 to save, 1 gp per gives +0, 10 gp per dose gives an extra +1, and 100 gives +2 or 3 etc

>> more than one a day
id allow three max unless he has access to a lab or guild or something and give it a month shelf life

>>bonus action to apply
I would be fine with that. have it in a special sheath or something he just dips his drawn weapon into.

>>no save
Thats dumb. poison give dis advantage on attack rolls and saves. If he wants no save on poison, it should be that no one has saves on poison. Run one session with bassalisks and giant spiders and shit and see how he feels about no save for poison after that.

How integral are tool proficiencies?

They almost never come up in my game, and it seems a lot of them are much less useful than others.

Is there even any point really in the Bard having 3 instrument ones instead of 1 and maybe 2 useful ones instead? I can't see any circumstance in any game where i'm going to play 3 different instruments and need bonuses to it in any way.

>Irks me the fuck out that I HAVE to use one of my invocations for Mage Armor on the GOO/Fiend lock.
It's +1 AC. False life is better early on, I'd say.

What's a reasonable title for a level 1 character to have? I really wanted my Cleric to be a St. but that's obviously a bit far so I need something.

That still leaves cool shit like Cloak of Baalzebul for Fiends in the dust.

Basically I'm irked that as a warlock, out of all the awesome invocations, you have certain mandatory ones depending on what you're playing.