Pic related is, without a doubt, the best edition of Dungeons and Dragons ever made

Pic related is, without a doubt, the best edition of Dungeons and Dragons ever made.

Prove me wrong.

>Prove me wrong.
Impossible
I've had more enjoyable fantasy games in that system than almost any other

It's broken shit. Stop playing d20.

Isn't there a new edition?

Basic and 4e are both better, but it's a pretty good version of 3e.
That's not a very high bar.

I would say Mutants and Masterminds 3e, but then I remember that 3e actually changed itself enough to have some identity outside DnD.

I'm sorry, but in what way is it like 3e and unlike 4e and basic? Serious question: I can't see anything M&M and 3e have that 4e doesn't.

I haven't played much M&M 3e; what did it change besides removing/unifying a bunch of the weirder powers?

Wrong answer.

My GM is planning to run this soon and would love Veeky Forumss opinion
Is it possible to make a workable character with the concept of "Was a pro-wrestler before he got powers"?
I'd love to do a powerhouse with the bright colors and over the top personality of 80's WWF and call out attacks like "frankensteiner" or "Canadian Destroyer!" but i'm not sure if the system will support it.
Powers wise i'm just looking to be big, strong, and able to tank damage but is there any way to bring across a grab-and-slam fighting style?

Fast grab lets you start a grapple right after an unarmed atack and improved hold lets you grapple one handed.

It also changes the core stats - you know, your Strength, Constitution, Wisdom, etc.
Instead, you have (if I can remember them all off the top of my head): Strength, Stamina, Agility, Dexterity, Fighting, Awareness, Intelligence and Presence.

(and the resistance stats you derive from them are: dodge, parry, fortitude, toughness and will)

The core, absolute bedrock mechanics are the same - rolling a d20, adding the appropriate modifiers to the number, and trying to roll over a certain number - but 3rd edition really feels like its own game now, instead of something based of the OGL.

I mean, 2nd edition felt like its own beast, mind you, but 3rd feels more so, if you know what I mean.

Anything in particular that you'd like answered?

If you've never played a game of M&M, then you used know that you can make, well, near-on anything in the system - I've never ran into, or heard, for that matter, of something that wouldn't

(Bar massive cosmic entities with reality warping powers (you still can stat them, and stat them well, but it's more of a case of 'what's the point in doing it in the first place?'))

Why should I play this over the HERO system?

One of the reasons it works so well for fantasy games is because you can stat up your "class" the way you always wanted it to work. Because you can seriously do just about anything with the power system. They do this by simplifying a lot of things and letting descriptions do the heavy lifting. Thus, a bullet, an arrow, a fireball, ray of comsic radiation, a psychic bolt...they're all the same thing: a damage effect with a ranged modifier. But descriptors alter what they can and can't interact with.

For example, if you use your psychic bolt, it can't affect anything without an INT score (because it doesn't have a brain) or a CON score (because it doesn't have an organic brain).

>Serious question: I can't see anything M&M and 3e have that 4e doesn't.

More obfuscated rules, no role protection for characters, major balance issues?

Basic and 4e have a very clear of what they want to be: Dungeoncrawling and Adventuring games. Their design is accordingly, and they are relatively well balanced. Basic is sleek, simple and straightforward, 4e turned up the gameynes of the game by introducing powers for everyone. Both do a very good job at what they want to do through their mechanics.
M&M fails at everything it sets out to do. Its mechanics are unsuited for most forms of superheroes, the balance is a burning trashheap, the game is so easy to break you need to watch out not to do it by complete accident, the rules are often unclear on their interactions and it's bogged down by tons of asinine bullshit. It takes fucking ages for newbies to make a character and is still an arduous journey for people that know their way. The fact that it's the go-to game for superhero antics is a confession of failure for the entire industry.

Combat drags on forever, and basically everything that is of any use is a basic attack power with varying accuracy and damage.

I'm fine with long combat, but not when it's mechanically bland and repetitive.

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is the best edition of D&D ever made.

3e doesn't have a fantasy supplement, and not all of the fantasy options have an equivalent in 3e.

You can't build a power that blinds everyone in the universe, or subtle and permanent, contact contagious mind control at will in 4e. You can in m&m.

Ah, this joke of a system.

Share the meme about the vampire and let us know how your last session in this *amazing* system was several years ago when that pasta was first written.

Because you want simple repetitive combat and superficially different characters.

>You have to build all the enemies like PCs.
Fuck that noise

I was answering what 4e has, that M&M doesn't.

That M&M also has things 4e doesn't, doesn't invalidate this.

Although, considering the aim of 4e, technically those'd probably be monster abilities or plot-rituals that you CAN stat out, but are unavailable for the players anyway.

Character building is cancer, play basic d&d.

Yeah, those are something a PC could build in m&m, and are more or less what happens when you start having more points than you know what to do with. Your powers you already have get more and more OP.

Cookie cutter characters are cancer. May as well be playing monopoly at that point.