EDH/Commander General

Manly Muscle Men edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Who's your favorite commander for a beatdown deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12427939
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-10-16-death-and-taxes-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kambals-salty-soup/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The way I beat Grand Orbiter was she played Winter Orb which didn't affect me that much but ya she lost to her own card

Ok.

The artwork on this card looks OP

>painted over the mana cost

what a shame

Man, Mark Tedin's style has changed a ton.

>Winter Orb
>Only Orb has wrinkles
>Emrakul
>Everything has wrinkes

Yeah, style sure has changed. His old person skin fetish has enhanced over the years.

Is zirlian of the claw as fun as he looks?

He's pretty fun, I think scion of the UR dragon is more fun though

Having built both, I would say Zirilan is more fun since he's a toolbox. Scion is just a flowchart of a deck with only like 3 actual dragons.

>claims to prefer the fun of a toolbox dragon deck
>built his scion deck as a net deck combo goodstuff deck instead of a sweet dragon toolbox

That's on you my man

I built it as a sweet dragon toolbox and reanimator deck

>Zirilan of the Claw
Oh man, I'm getting flashbacks of my very first, completely not legit, magic deck of printed out proxies. So good. So bad.

Z-Daddy is fucking rad. I ran him for a while and it was a lot of fun. Getting ways of cheating out multiple dragons and slapping the shit out of someone is a great feeling. Especially when you have ways of making sure the Dragons don't get exiled

>netdeck
Fuck off.

They're monocolored retards.

>Anput without black
Christ I hope not.

>Manly Muscle Men edition
Anyone have a list from the thread a few years ago to make the manliest EDH deck?

Are you the same guy? In confused as fuck. I have no problem with net decking, researching successful decks is good. I just don't understand why somebody would claim that zirilan is more fun purely because it's less spikey, when you can build a deck as spikey as you want

And MM17 will contain no reprints. My dad is John Gamefreak so he knows.

It's about Wizards' art direction dumbass. They won't print a major story-important Mythic with misleading colors in its art.

i think it would be funny as fuck if the amonkhet gods are wedge colored when everyone expect shards. then the next sets gods are shard colors.

You must be a blast to play commander with.

If I cast Consulate Crackdown while Mycosynth Lattice is out, everything non-artifact stays in exile right?

I alternate between ultra-jank and spikeshit using convincing Chinese proxies so yeah, I'm a blast.

I have no idea how to Jund.

Xenagos is definitely my favorite. Objectively GOAT

Reread Consulate Crackdown. It says "If the exiled cards aren't artifact cards, manifest them."

YOU'RE a monocolored retard.

>Step 1: Sacrifice for effects
>Step 2:

What are you smoking user?

I must admit, I'm confused with their artworpk. The color themes aren't very specific, and kind of samey. It's hard to pin down what their colors will be.

Pic related looks Mardu to me, but I know that's not it

>purple robes
>black clouds reflecting the red of the sunset mostly covering the blue sky
>they're monocolor
>they wouldn't put misleading colors in the art
Okay

Is this the MtG general? If not could someone point me to it

No, those cards are just exiled until it leaves the battlefield ig the second clause said
>return all artifacts exiled by CC to the battlefield under their owners control
then they would stay

Are you new to the game? There isn't really a single general there is one for the most popular formats

Okay well i have a noob question

I'm thinking of using pic related as a replacement for Thopter Spy Network, do you think anyone would be autistic enough to demand I play with the regular version?

>purple lightning
>purple clouds
>red clouds
>blue clouds
>blue sky in the background
Seems pretty fucking spot on for UR user.

I'd honestly be amazed and wouldn't require you to do so, just to watch you resolve it as written. Be sure to bring a bag of skittles or smth.

What are the best blue and black creatures to abuse blinking effects with?

Creatures with strong ETB triggers.

Gray Merchant.

Rune-scarred demon, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Gonti Lord of Luxury, Palinchron, Scourge of Fleets, Diluvian / Sepulchral Primordial.

shoot

Kederekt Leviathan + Necromancy

Does blue have any decent options for dealing with enchantments outside of bouncing stuff to hand?

Counterspells dude, there are a few colorless things though like nev's disk and all is dust/scour from existence

We may or may not be helpful. However if you can catch an "ask a judge" thread GA will almost certainly help you.

Well I asked in the Modern thread but thanks for being willing to help

Is there any advice you can give someone just starting out? Like any advice or tips that you would only know after playing for a while?

Buy singles.

Don't be afraid to use life as a resource. The only point that matters is the last one. This is especially true in Commander, but it applies to all formats equally.

Well first off is don't buy random packs and don't buy other sealed product unless you do research and ask around. Only time it's worth buying packs is draft/sealed because you get play experience out of it basically if you're building a deck. Second is make sure you have people to play with and ask them to help with getting into their format or building a casual deck. 3rd and last I will say is never be afraid to ask about rules or anything, unless whoever you're playing is obviously a mega autist most magic players are happy to explain things to a new player

I think we're on the same side of this argument, my dude.

Get a friend to start playing with you, it really helps.
Otherwise, play a free program like Forge to learn the basics WHILE reading the various tutorials Wizards has on their websites, since those programs don't have tutorials. It's critical to learn the rules of the game properly.
When actually playing paper Magic, learn which cards are worth money. You don't want to be the guy who passes a $20 mythic in favor of some random uncommon. Play Friday Night Magic drafts, and ask the owner to match you up against other new players if possible.
I think other than that, make an effort to show up consistently to FNM. Regular attendance and being friendly will let you make friends with other regulars easily. Just don't be afraid to avoid anyone who treats you like shit.

I think I responded to your comment in that thread

Is playing pic related considered poor form? I have Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker built and it slots in ridiculously well. I figure if people are going to play cards like Iona against me I should also get to play cards that prevent them from playing the game.

It's exactly as fair as Iona and although people will get salty point that out every time.

>I figure if people are going to play cards like Iona against me I should also get to play cards that prevent them from playing the game.
Your group sounds like a bunch of fags, honestly. Play it, but going down that rabbit hole doesn't end well for anyone.

I play Zirilan and it's my favorite deck.

Is there any point to a playmat besides looking fancy?

>Your group sounds like a bunch of fags, honestly.
It's only a few people at the store. I just tend to end up playing with the more "competitive" crowd regularly because nobody else wants to put up with Shirei + Gravepact + Shadowborn Apostles. I figure I'll add stuff like contamination and maybe a few other stax effects and then build a more casual deck so I can play against everyone at the store and not get hated off the table.

Whats the best way to win with a simic deck?

I'm new to magic and I want to make a deck that focuses on getting land every turn from cards like fertilid then having enough mana to draw more cards from the library (zameck guildmage) or so I know what I will draw (contingency plan and such) so I have options and possibly the cards I need when I need them to counter the opponent or something.

Is that how simic should be played or are there better ways?

>Whats the best way to win with a simic deck?
beat them to death with an army of sneks.

While I'm not saying Contamination is broken, I think you should consider what it means when you are legitimately comparing the power of a 3CMC enchantment vs a 9CMC creature. In monoB, the sac effect could even be considered an upside.

Snake tribal is a very shortsighted way of building Kaseto. He is much more powerful when you abuse "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player" triggers.

Did I every say it was broken?

They're both shit cards that belong in shit casual games, the issue is that they remove interaction in the worst possible way.

why not do both? Also the great Snake Mistake Combo is fun as hell

r8 h8 appreci8

>Who's your favorite commander for a beatdown deck?
Pretty much any RGx commander. Animar was by FAR the best I've ever played, but Ruric-Thar "oops all permanents" was pretty fun.

>Snake Mistake Combo
explain

Did I ever say you said it was broken?

My argument is that it should give you pause that a 3CMC enchantment is comparable (honestly stronger) in power to a 9CMC creature in terms of lockdown. But that's I guess par for the course with Urza cards.

Say it with me, everyone.
EDRIC
D
R
I
C
FLYING
L
Y
I
N
G
MEN.
E
N

Play this guy and a bunch of small, evasive bodies, draw your deck and win. Lab Man, Beastmaster Ascension, Craterhoof Behemoth. Don't forget a few low-cost extra turn cards, like Temporal Mastery, and some good cheap counterspells.

I never referenced their powerlevel whatsoever dumbass. Why are you replying to me?

I'm building my first EDH deck right now (blue white) and I'm using Isperia, Supreme Judge as my commander. Any recs on strategies or cards to buy? Right now I'm playing lots of flying creatures, draw cards (bident of thassa, divination etc) and counterspells/pacifying enchantments. I can answer more questions about my deck if needed

Because you keep asking retarded rhetorical questions that have nothing to do with the premise of my statement each time your reply. Gain some reading comprehension, nigger.

My previous double trips proves this.

Its not good but its
Hive Mind + Endless Swarm

You end up not letting anyone cast spells and since you are in simic, drawing an fuckton of cards and as such making an ass load of tokens. More of a stupid thing to do than anything else.

strawpoll.me/12427939

VOTE ON YOUR PREDICTIONS FOR THE COLOR IDENTITY OF THE GODS!

I really want them to be shards.

Mono color or two color gods would feel weak after Theros.

They're mono

cards that should be banned because of their horrible impact on non-competitive EDH:

deadeye
palinchron
cyclonic rift
sol ring
consecrated sphinx
leovold
derevi

cards that should be unbanned:
biorhythm
balance
limited resources
sylvan primordial
braids

Watch them be mono colored with activated abilities in wedges or shards

>Consecrated Sphinx is OP
>Balance and Sylvan Promordail aren't (in a multiplayer setting)

I'm fine with most everything else on that list, though I don't think they're all banworthy.

>Wedges in a Shard themed set

That dude could totally be Grixis as well though. Could be Jund.

I feel like they will all be mono though.

When it can't be flickered as hard through DEN primordial just makes you a target

Got those backwards user

>50% think mono color identities

We already have mono colored gods ...

Why would we get more?

Building a new deck. Feel like playing Kambal. I've found about 2-3 lists I really like that I'm probably going to go with. Any expirence you guys have playing hard lockdown/stax would be appreciated.

Lists:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-10-16-death-and-taxes-edh/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kambals-salty-soup/

Also: POSTEM

>limited resources
>balance
>braids
you complain about cards that hurt casual players but then you ask to unban cards that casuals would hate even more

Primordials main problem in mutiplayer isn't that it destroys a bunch of shit, it's that it destroys a bunch of shit, ramps you a shitton, AND is in green, the color known most for ramping out fatties faster than anyone. DEN makes this more abusable, yes, but the card is fucking atrocious on its own anyway

>guy asks if Contamination is poor form
>I reply saying it's as unfair as Iona
>your replies contain
>you should consider what it means when you are legitimately comparing the power
>it should give you pause that a 3CMC enchantment is comparable (honestly stronger) in power to a 9CMC creature

I don't give a shit which is more powerful, I never mentioned it and I don't care whether Entomb Reanimate: Target monocolored deck can't play the game is of equal or lesser power than (2)B: Fuck off nonblack.

I only ever mentioned their fairness, which given how they both remove certain decks from the game until they're removed I'd say they're pretty unfair. If we're talking about the actual MTG lingo version of the word fair, than Iona is generally less fair than Contamination because she's usually either reanimated (in the case of Manaless Dredge, BU/R Reanimator in Legacy, or most EDH decks other than the next case) or cheated in by Kaalia. Not to mention that Contamination was printed with a downside. And yeah anything can be an upside but you're probably already winning if playing a creature a turn for the foreseeable future is possible.

Because they've mentioned lowering complexity and there isn't proper mana-fixing in Standard right now. Their art heavily suggests mono-colored

>Because they've mentioned lowering complexity and there isn't proper mana-fixing in Standard right now. Their art heavily suggests mono-colored

do you think may be right?

I actually am harboring the idea that they have some weird colorless constraint applied to them, given the massive amount of grey in each image.

Not sure how that would work though.

Someone floated the idea that they would be artifacts instead of enchantments like the Theros gods.

Would fit nicely with Kaladesh at least

White needs help and braids should be totally okay in the 99

>there isn't proper mana-fixing in Standard right now.
And you're basing this on what? Losing the Battle Lands and the Man Lands when Zendikar rotates out?
We've still got the Innistrad duals,the Kaladesh duals, and Aether Hub, for starters. Not mentioning some halfway decent mana dorks since Wizards deemed the idea of a Llanowar Elf too powerful for Standard. To presume there wouldn't be more fixing in Amonkhet is preposterous, as well.

Your stating that you don't care about power while simultaneously highlighting the cards' fairness is self-refuting. A card's 'fairness' is based on the effect you get vs the cost you have to pay for said effect, in other words, it's power. Contamination is more powerful (less fair) than Iona. That was my argument.

I don't see how NotHeliod is Grixis and Crocodile person is Jund.

Grixis' bonding color is black so I would assume the dude surrounded by the most black based creature is probably is mostly focused on the color black than the color red.

NotHeliod has the pyramid in the back which will probably be some kind of mountain which indicates red which is also the bonding color of Jund.

If we do shards, Cat is Bant, Bird is Esper, Crocodile is Grixis, Jackal is Jund, and Snake is Naya. If we do mono colored, it's the same order but with the central color instead.

>wants a autistic card in his deck
>complains about autism

DEN isn't even that bad. If you got seven mana, then yeah you should be able to renew ETB shit.
Palinchron should be banned in general. Free spells are retarded.
Cyclonic Rift is fine
Sol Ring is a feature of the format, sadly.
Sphinx? lol
Leovold? FUCK THAT NIGGER REEEEEEEE EVERY TIME I BRING ARJUN SOME CHUCKLEFUCK ALWAYS FLIPS LEOVOLD AND I'M JUST FUCKED
Derevi? Eh, gang up on the fucker

Biorhythm is who cares.
Balance is ungodly broken. Any deck with white in it will play it.
Limited Resouces does too much for W
Sylvian Primordial? FUCK YOU BRING BACK PRIME TIME
Braids needs to remain banned, since Sidisi exists