mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>How to Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>How to strip paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>How to Magnets
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo

miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Alpha Assault, this is HQ, what is your situation, please comply.
youtube.com/watch?v=p-E7NJi1gOA

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Knights-2016#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>sit down to paint models
>an hour later i'm getting up to gather the rest to post for sale

Feels bad to hate every project you work on. Fourth army I've tried to start and every one of them has been bad as soon as I've gotten past the initial purchase honeymoon.

Then stop being a faggot and spending a fortune on shit you don't want.

Goblin raiding party is best party

Looted rhino is done!
Pretty happy with it. Gonna use it as a trukk for my tankbustas, as if they destroyed it, gave the pieces to the mek and now got their own wagon to ride in

>entire army is just bases with tall grass and weapons poking out of them

Other side.
Grots are great to add to a vehicle, they won't break off too easily as they're on the top and won't snag anything and look neato
Might paint up more for the other vehicle

Eh, it's only a troop box. $30 for a set of Scions. Figured I'd take them for Kill Team, not such a fan in practice. Been the same with other armies, haven't gone past a discounted troop box. Except Tau.

>Spoiler
How did I fucking know what that was before highlighting it.

Living the fucking dream!

have you considered that it might just be the format in which GW games' are designed that turns you off?
i.e. paint 50 of the same miniatures until you got a basic army.

I'd recommend trying a skirmish game instead. If you got about a dozen minis you are basically done. Depending on the system all unique and a challenge on their own to paint.
It's a lot more fun.

3mm wargaming.

Here are the brothers
Happy to be back into orks again

They *are* painted, believe it or not.

>all unique and a challenge on their own to paint.
This is about 75% of the problem right here. I hate painting with a passion; I love conversions, but they have a semi-annoying tendency to sit as black-primed plastic for a long time afterwards. If commission painters charged anything remotely reasonable, I'd ship them off to one of the local guys that does it.

Plus, "all unique" models in skirmish games... that are all identical across different players. Not my thing.
Doesn't help that our Infinity community is led by the guy that duped me into buying into 40k by claiming "we've got a ton of players still, you'll get plenty of games!", then letting me know a week later that the store had stopped having any 40k players come in months ago and they were actively encouraging Dropzone and Infinity over 40k, to the point of cancelling 40k events for skirmish open play, full-scale politely declined. Considering the group is almost exclusively "that guy's friends", I have no intention to support him again, with my dollar or my patronage.

>Base coat
>Highlight
>Army painter tone of the right colour

Congrats your army is painted in 20 minutes a model.

Were it only that fast. My 30k Marines (the one faction I intend on sticking with) take me 3-4 hours per model, skipping the highlight part.

>I hate painting with a passion
Yeah, then it doesn't really matter what mini you pic up.

Unless you do necrons or tyranids for 40k.
But if you don't give a fuck about 40k anyway you don't have to worry about that either.

Is there even a game that you actually want to play yourself?
If you're pissed off about the whole thing with 40k painting the models is hardly gonna be fun either.

I'm similar, except that when I pick up a brush I do enjoy it. I just enjoy converting a lot more. And picking up a brush takes a lot of determination.

Seriously though, the commission painter thing is a possibility. Or you could see if one of your gaming buddies is wired so that he hates building models, but loves painting them...

I fucking want my conversion bits to arrive this week. Can't wait to start fiddling with those things, god dammit.

And I want something different to work on after non-stop painting up AdMech models to MAYBE finish in time for Saturday with 5 1/2 Kataphrons still left to paint and having my next chance of painting them on Thursday.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do large areas of very red rust? Like that on an oxidized I-Beam?

>Is there even a game that you actually want to play yourself?
I enjoy 40k, sorta. As mentioned above, most of my experience is with Tau, and I hate their play style, but I still have a decent bit of fun with it. I don't really like wargames in general, and like 40k specifically for the models first, game second. If there was a better solution to digital 40k than Tabletop Sim, though, I'd switch over in a heartbeat, sell my collection, and never look back. Even with the loss of conversions.
I do like some of Infinity's aesthetics, but dislike the gameplay. Handful of Flames of War lying around, but I moved away from where the community was. DZC/Warmahordes/Sigmar never did either, KD:M is prohibitively expensive.

>If you're pissed off about the whole thing with 40k
I harbor a grudge, but I found another store that does have a community, and I've been playing there even if it's more distant.

>Seriously though, the commission painter thing is a possibility.
Not on my income. I have yet to see a remotely acceptable-looking commission painter that's within my discretionary spending for a *year* to afford, let alone to have do all my models.

Ugh. So much painting to do.

I'd love it if there'd be a market for making conversions but not painting them. That way you could build stuff for people, sell it and finance someonr to paint your own stuff. It'd be great.

And if I were you, I'd honestly just ask one of your friends with acceptable painting skills to maybe paint some models for you for a few six-packs of beer or just give you a friend-price.

Left Grot
>'EY LUIGI, CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT? THESE FUCKKIN' ORKS JUST PARKED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOD DAMN ROAD THEY THEY OWN THE PLACE. I SWA'E I AUGHT'A JUMP DOWN OFF DIS HERE RHINO AND BEAT 'EM WITHIN' AN INCH'A THEY LIFE WITH THIS HE'A LOOKIN' GLASS, I TELL YA' LUIGI.

Task Force X

Good job, user. I always think ork vehicles look a little lacking without checkers but they're a pain to do.

so Veeky Forums i think i fucked up. Im doing salamanders and I thought i would go with a slightly different scheme. I found one I liked and base coated a bunch of shit. I started working on some of it, and now I think i like the GW scheme better. Wat do? strip it all (its a ton), an hero? power through? fuck

I prefer brighter greens like this one, but if you prefer GW's dark green you can just put a thin layer of dark green over that. Looks thin enough to paint over if you thin your paints.

Holy shit thank you

Get into X-Wing, mate. No painting required and the game is great.

>radioactive salamanders
It's time. Play 30k. Get rad grenades, ally Mechanicus for Irad-cleansers. If 40k, ally Skitarii for radiation guns.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Salamanders.

sallys cant take rad or phosphex weapons :(

>people ITT who hate painting
I don't understand it. Do you just like playing? There are far better games out there for infinitely cheaper.

Give it a green wash and it will make it dark green.

Fuck. Im super indecisive about this shit

I use oil washes so that wont work, but I might try the GW green glaze

No Phosphex. Rad is still good if you find a non-Destroyer/Moritat platform for them.

I unironically like that scheme. Just sleep on it. Come back in a day and see if you feel the same way before making any decision.

I want to do a different theme for my nurgle bikers than "fat guys with engorged bellies on choppers"
Preferably something with a different bike entirely than the standard, like the MK IV outriders or a conversion entirely. The MKIV are sleek but much like Thousand Sons they're husks. Or perhaps using the old frame I could make the frame of the bike completely rotted, with bone and flesh growths that almost encase the rider, using it as a host.
Any suggestions?

I liked it for the longest time, now that im finally sitting down to paint it, i dont like it nearly as much. It doesnt seem salamander enough if that makes sense

I was thinking of converting WHFB/AoS Chaos cavalry and giving them bolters. Sort of "horsemen of the apocalypse" theme.

games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Knights-2016#

The horses especially look like they could be cyber'd/Nurgle'd up pretty easily.

You should make them horses but make underneath the armor on the bodies like that of a slug with greenstuff or skittering bug legs and then the eyes extended and creepy looking like this

Then I'd echo the advice of others here and try to glaze/wash the colour down a notch. Post pics afterwards.

Progress on my gem bearing Chaos Dorfs

Is that GW gold spray? I wouldn't really suggest anything else as more coats over the gold come out real thick.

Yeah it's GW spray, I intend on giving it a light green glaze for a nice tint effect

>Progress on my gem bearing Chaos Dorfs

Lookin' pretty solid so far, but ... I don't see any gems.

Look at the shoulder pads bruh, I pain-stakingly casted and cut GW styled gems to put on them, each one individually cut

Your picture makes me sick

Your face makes me sick.

I made a Morkanaut out of a Gundam Zeon Mobile Worker. Most of the non-gundam parts are from the Wazbomma kit. That kit has good bits left over for days once you decide which flyer you're building. The gundam itself was a little too short for a 'naut, so I hacked up the shield it came with with some extra sprue and an ork glyph air intake to extend the torso, which had the added bonus of giving it a rather orky physique. I ran out of space for the weapons loadout it was supposed to have on the torso due to putting both twin-linked big shootas there, so I made the head as the kustom mega blasta. This thing is going to be hell to paint.

right in the nostalgia

The torso compartment is also magnetized and opens on a hinge to sort of almost make the transport capacity feasible. My cell phone is horrible about making anything I do with styrene get washed out in a sea of white, but the inside of the door has a ladder to help the boys get out into battle. I still have a ton of rivets and greenstuff welding to add before I get it ready to prime.

Fuck yeah, Exo Squad! Come to think of it, they do look like Meganobs

I got the stuff to make a morkanught as well, this gives me an idea

Can anyone give me a name on this model (or similar)? Unarmed sans fists marines.

Why don't you just buy painted second hand models then.

it's only 40 infantry, don't be a pussy

2nd Edition mk8 Errant armor, but I don't think i've even seen that specific mini. What's the year on the back of the base tab?

Ah, here we go.

>If commission painters charged anything remotely reasonable
>Waaaah how dare skilled labour demand a price that lets them keep the lights on

Finished painting and basing my grot crewed deffkopta. I'm doing a whole squad of these based on the Hasegawa egg plane kits with tons of conversions.

One local guy does commission.
$25/infantry model. Basecoat, highlight, and wash only.
That's the complaint. Not "get a living wage"- I live that every day, I know how it feels to be underpaid. Effectively $50-75 an hour, on the other hand, is a little high. And a little cost-prohibitive to have even a squad done.

I like it!

Also got a squad of grots in looted marine armor painted up and started basing them.

Out-fucking-standing.

Thats fucking cute. Give me a close up on the one with the giant gloves.

Yeah, this. Chaos knights as bikers is a classic conversion for CSM players, and for good reason.

So I just started getting back into painting and I'm having a shit time at highlighting my marines. I've been doing a decent job everywhere besides the helmet. I've been painting up some crimson fists so it's a pretty dark blue, but whenever I highlight the brow area above the lenses it just reminds me of blue fucking eyebrows. My base is the typical kantor blue then a nightshade wash and a highlight of alaitoc blue. Anyways is there some way I can highlight the brow area without it looking like blue eyebrows?

Punchy here was the first one I made. I've done a lot with the marine helmets and miniturized backpacks and weaponry, but I need to get some more marine torsos since the grots wearing them have so much more character.

try wet blending the lighter blue where it has a smoother transition into the darker color.

So I've taken your advice to heart WIP
I thinned my paints, used washes and highlights, all that jazz.
So here's the result of it. I am really happy with how the skin turned out (not so much the fingers, but that can be fixed), and I'm going to touch up the hair, nails, and stones with washes.
Here's the first shot...

And the second shot.
How'd I do?
Ignore how the light sorta tinted everything yellow

LOVE it, reminds me a little of...

>Can anyone give me a name on this model (or similar)?

I showed up late to the party again, huh?

I love the bayonette on the vehicle mounted rocket launcher.

hey, whats a unique way of doing the deathwatch army? I'm struggling to see a unique paint job

Paint em black

Make an army called LifeWatch, a band of the most promising apothecaries in the astartes. This is a rite of passage and those who deem themselves worthy through acts of heroism are attached to chapters in sectors with the most conflict.

I'm new to AOS. What kind of conversion bits work for Ironjawz? Orks could just do whatever they want, but what can I use for Ironjawz?

Iron Hands librarian for my Heresy dudes, any thoughts? I'm thinking I'm gonna add some round headed rivets/bulbs around the armour, especially the chest to break things up, and paint them to be glowing, along with his eyes and hand.
got some veterans I'll be posting up in the next day or two

Awesome appreciated.

Cool mini. Does the gear collar connect to anything? Where's the head from?

the gorget doesn't connect to anything, the head is from the new(ish) plastic chaplain

anyone got any ideas how to make a CSM guy with a bolter be modeled in a position to show hes chest,main reason is i like the design for one of the torsos and dont want it to be hidden by the gun. i know some people position the bolter to be pointing up but what about the other arm, what do i do with that.

Use loyalist bits and theme them.

Grab a ccw arm, remove the weapon. Now you've got an arm with just a clenched fist.

Hmmm, I don't really like it then. Looks tacked on.

just a clenched fist is boring

Are these highlights too much?

it'll look a lot better with the shoulder pads and backpack attached, and i might plasticard a psychic hood for him if i'm feeling adventurous

Then keep the CCW in the hand. you can have CCWs + bolters after all. Or a pistol if you're going strictly WYSIWYG and don't want any extra CCWs in the squad. Or have him hold a grenade. There's a lot you could do, just improvise.

Not mine, but does pic related look cool? Specifically the helmet, not the color scheme. I'm thinking of doing it for a Brute or two.

>combat knife
>throw grenade
>reload bolter
>touch helmet comms
>fiddle with bionic eye
>gesture of some kind, taunt, challenge, threat etc
>hold a trophy
>interact with environment, i.e. lean on a wall on an urban base or brush a bush away on a jungle base
>rummage through ammo pouch
>eat banana

Basically anything you can think of doing one handed insert emperor's children joke here.

Most poses are easy enough to convert if you use a closed fist from a pistol or ccw or an open hand from a supporting bolter hand.
You can just add a finger or two with GS easily if the hand is resting on something.

Anyone here do or have done commissions? Sisters user from last thread here, and I've gotten a 3rd person asking about commissions. If, and that is a big IF, I do commissions, what are the expectations? What do I charge? What other crap should I be thinking about?

I've never understood the shoulder inner border highlight thing that GW insists on.

It's a Rembrandt thing.
Contrasts.
Contrasts everywhere. Makes stuff pop.
You don't need it if you don't have a shade between the inset and the trim though.

shit. I meant caravaggio. Serves me right for trying to sound smart.

How do I polish GS ? I'm using a file but it doesn't look completely clean, and not so smooth. I fear it's gonna be visible

Helm actually makes the model look tolerable, without it those things are trash

Impressively shit taste, but you're right, the helm is cool

Sandpaper of increasingly fine grits. I use 600 for smoothing, and 1000 for final polishing.