Warhammer 40k general /40kg/

Tau are not a suitspam faction edition

previous bed
>Dank Daily Duncan
youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

>40k rules reference in wiki format. 204% Organized
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Rules and such. Use Readium for epubs. Sorry, it's shit, but it'll read 3s.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Latest GW teases
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW attempts to fuck up your list
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>DIS DA WAAAGH ORGANIZA, ZOG YERSELF IF YER STILL ASKIN' ABOUT IT
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Another list building program that may or may not be a pile of shit, sometimes it works and is better than the garbage above
battlescribe.net/

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (I am sorry for leaving the book open, but I am Alpharius)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Death-Guard-Conversion-Set
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Death-Guard-Terminator-Conversion-Set
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Kalibrax-Pattern-Autocannon-Set
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Am I bad or is the Deathwatch codex not on the mega?
I picked up the start collecting box for some allies for my Dark Angels and was wondering what the best loadouts and methods of deployments are.

Also first for the first legion.

artillery is unreliable and inaccurate, especially so in the 40k, which is why the tau use superior air support (fw air support) to provide the heavy dakka they need.
Yes I know the autism suits exist but for the moment ignore them since they're op/retarded/unnecessary, though the tau'nar has non-retarded fluff.
frag cannons are life, that and the corvus blackstar is nice, other than that idk too much about dw, they're pretty bad in 7e, lower than all other loyalist sm codices from what I remember

>artillery is unreliable and inaccurate
So that's a "yes, I've always been a moron" then.

mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA

Rip in piss cheetah poster.

i miss him kinda

Thoughts?

Thanks user

Yeah they're just allies, I was thinking about something like 4 infernus bolters/4 frag cannons podding down to assassinate blobs or hard targets (in the case of the cannons).

> tfw I missed the "everything you own in a list" from the last thread

Illegal/7

Hey guys I'm kind of new to 50k and wanted some units to play with and Deathwatch grabbed my eyes the most. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to have to swap the lord choices due to warband compulsory sadly.

Assuming I were capable of sculpting Chaosy armour trim up to at least a good-when-painted standard, what would be the best way to Chaos up Mk III armour, with similar trim to the Chaos Raptors/Warp Talons (lightning bolts aside)? Seems fairly straightforward for all the frontal armour, but the layered plates on the backs of the legs would need a nice balance. Too much and it'll look like a filigree clusterfuck of plastic Guilliman proportions. Not enough, and they'll look like they have Chaos fronts and loyalist backs. Would trims just around the ankles and ass-plates be enough, maybe with some toothy growths from some of the other armour plates like on the DV Chosen?

Also, ideas for how to make the faceplates of the helmets nice and Chaosy? Or should I just ignore the plates and corrupt up the trim around the brow?

Be honest, if female Marines are added in 8th edition and models become available, would you buy them?

(The fluffy explanation could be that improvements of the geneseed by the mechanicum make it possible, and Emperor Guilliman decrees that women should be inducted into the astartes either forming their own chapters or joining the existing ones.)

>40k big typo

No. One of the biggest draws for loyalist astartes for me is the whole brotherhood thing.

Depends on the quality of the models, and whether GW's writers abstain from adding in too much Sigmaresque He-Man/superhero bullshit in 8th. There's already enough of it in not-End Times Gathering Storm.

Also (and most importantly), it's a matter of whether or not my wallet can take it... so, I probably won't.

No, Marines are stupid. Making them women is just more fetish fuel.

I wouldn't suppose you'd have any suggestions?

I wouldn't buy them, because I wouldn't want to support a decision that was made due to SJW pressure as opposed to legitimate lore.

Women can't be Space Marines, end of.

If you want a human army with female minis than you can play Sisters of Battle or Imperial Guard. To be fair, this isn't exactly the easiest thing to do (Sisters buyers are fucked in general and to get chicks in your IG you have to buy third party heads), but with the rumors of plastic Sisters models being worked on right now due to the insane popularity of the Cannoness and Celestine models that's a potential option that we should be hearing about fairly soon.

No. Because it doesn't make sense.

Why can't they create another girl faction? Have an all girl mechanicus force or something? Why does it HAVE to be space marines?

If GW started pandering to this level I would stop supporting them. I know GW loves destroying their own fluff but come on, there has to be limits.

We already have this in soritas. GW just needs to produce them again.

no need to be rude, but the scatter in 40k means that artillery goes off a lot, or at least I have bad luck with it
story cont
>did I say 2 vendettas, I meant 3, apologies
>his turn, moves up everything, shoots at the vets
>vets are hiding in some ruins waiting for deep striking support
>he rolls that psychic power for ignores cover
>deny it
>he is annoyed, focuses everything on that squad
>scatter laser shots from everywhere, even the WK shoots with them (it has the ghostglaive/shield combo with scat lasers)
>roll a bunch of 3s
>thank the emprah for stealth (ruins)
>make like 18 saves, only fail 3, sergeant still alive
>moral check passed
>nothing happens in the assault phase
>turn 2
>reserves phase
>vendettas come on
>ignores cover attack pattern
>deep strike them near homing beacon, no scatter
>"user, vendettas don't have deep strike"
>shows codex, he sees price of 130
>seems slightly angry
>roll for more reserves, both standard vert squads come on (just 5 man vet squads with no upgrades)
>plop them as meatshields for the other vet squad
>fail roll for executioner squad, next time
>move vet squads into further cover
>twin link the sniper again, twin link the lasguns on the 7 man vet squad as well
>remove the wounded scatbike squad with snipers
>remove another squad (they're 4 bikes each iirc) with lasgun fire
>vendettas take a look at the third squad, he kinks
>justasplanned.jpg
>announce ignores cover attack pattern
>remove the bikes
>1 wave serpent with 5 wraithlords and the WK left
>the wave serpent is charging down the 2 command squads
>his turn
>unloads the wraithlord, they remove the command squad with the ground scanners
>wasn't my warlord
will finish this, got some stuff to do

Can love bloom among daemonkin?

I agree with user, artillery is really good. Emperor's Wrath deletes all kinds of bikes and units that give dumb cover saves.

I'm enjoying your socially awkward kid stands up to slightly more adjusted huge faggot story though.

I was gonna do something similar with mk4 armor. I thought about taking the horns off of regular CSM heads and sticking them onto the mk4 ones. No idea about the faceplates.

>Aeldari

New to wh40k.
Whats my get started shopping list Veeky Forums?
Do i need the $850cad painting kit?
Is the "project case" worth it?
How much greenstuff do i need? Soild or liquid?
Do i need extra bases?

yay, bit late though

I was considering Mk IV armour as . Definitely much easier, since it's got the larger, smoother plates like Mk VII. Less challenge though, and the Rubric Marines are already in Mk IV.

There's actually a couple of Chaos Mk IV heads in the Raptor/WT box, but if you want your CSMs to have more than two head options, you'll have to make your own variants. CSM horns on BaC heads, plus some green stuff work, would be a start.

what fraction
hell no
not yet
at all till you start conversions and general fuckery
depends

*as well

Well, at least you made it.

wd march is out already, does someone have a mirror?

Doing it well is a lot of GS work.

> Pick a faction you think looks cool and has cool lore
> Buy the Start Collecting! box for that faction ($15)
> Buy the Citadel Paints kit for that faction ($15)
> Buy a spruecutter, a hobby knife, and some superglue
> Download the rulebook and Codex for that faction from the Mega (or buy them I guess)

That's all you need to get started.

Alternately, if the faction you like is Dark Angels or Chaos Space Marines your checklist looks like this:

> Buy the Dark Vengeance starter kit
> Buy some paints

Read the rulebook, read your codex, go play some games, and report back how much fun you are having.

I did that with mine they look nice. Though I used tzangor horns. Putting the heads on rubric bodies for my chosen.
Am I only one who dislikes those raptor heads?

>> Buy the Start Collecting! box for that faction ($15)

That should be $85

Been thinking about starting Death Guard as a third army, and looking at Gdubs site is making me ill

>Havocs are resin
>Plague Marines are resin
>Nurgle prince is resin

Wrryyyyyyyyyyyyy

If they looked good, I would.

Death guard are easiest dudes to do yourself however. Use mark 3 power armour space marines and green stuff. Can also use blightkings from fantasy line as well.

Forgeworld:

forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Death-Guard-Conversion-Set

forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Death-Guard-Terminator-Conversion-Set

forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Kalibrax-Pattern-Autocannon-Set

Yeah I don't like the raptor heads much myself. I was gonna go with the alpha legion upgrade kit from forgeworld on my mkiv's. I feel like "chaotic" looking armor doesn't fit AL very well, so I'm probably not going to do much green stuff.

emperor's wrath is a good formation, but most factions have underwhelming/bad artillery
I'm happy you enjoy the story
I'm not really socially awkward, but I am petty and enjoy fucking over faggots, especially since they rarely aggro me, I am 6'4 and relatively fit, so not a neet
back to the story
>he is really confused as to why my warlord is the sniper squad
>d-99 gets snipers as free upgrades to lasguns, elysians don't
anyway
>WK charges the meatshield vet squad
>he asks if i'll overwatch smugly
>lasguns vs WK
>I ignore him
>I straight up remove the models and he charges the other meatshield squad through soulburst and I remove them without rolling as well
>wraithlord charge, get shot with snipers that miss and fail the charge
>turn 3
>roll for executioner squad
>pass
>let's go fuck someone up
>for reference the executioner squad is 5 vets and a sergeant, all 5 vets get a plasma gun and i also put in a vox
>I should now mention that I have no orders, since d-99 get no orders and the elysians command squad died
>deep strike them in front of the command squad which has a homing beacon as well
>no scatter
>vendettas fly off table, failed brake turn
>plasma rifles in rapid fire range from executioner squad, 1 guy dies to gets got
>rape ensues
>wraithlords all dead
>snipers shoot at the WK, all hit but no wounds
>end turn
>his turn
>wave serpent removes the executioner squad, which were blocking the command squad
>WK shoots, then charges last vet squad, removes it
>turn 4
>bring on vendettas
>shoot the WK with them
>7 hit, all wound, he passed 1 save, WK dead
>by this time everyone including the store owner is watching the game intently
>they all gasp as the WK dies
>he is visibly angery
>accuses me of cheating, says that forgeworld armied can't use brb warlord traits
>store owner tells him it's all legal and that I played a fair game
>his turn
>he shoots the command squad, kills 2 of the snipers, warlord still alive
>turn 5
Almost done anons

I'm 1/8th

When does the Project case become worth it?
So greenstuff is for bigger models and ork players then?
The gw shop has a Drill and a "sculpting kit" is that a scam for me doubloons?
Would the Paint kit for the faction be like "good enough" or is literally all you will need

I'll get on that reading asap

Will the rulebook/codex have these formations and datasheets i keep hearing about?

As a Black Legion player, I was pretty disappointed. Fear and Crusader are two very underwhelming rules, the turn 1 Deep Strike requires a ton of non-Deep Striking tax to unlock, Terminator Annihilation Force isn't available as a core AND has next to useless benefits, and our Warlord Traits and Relics are still absolute garbage. I'm better off sticking with the detachment from Traitor's Hate.

Turbo-Hatred is nifty, but good luck getting into CC with enough MEQ's for it to matter. Letting us take Marks isn't much of a benefit when baseline Marks are overpriced garbage on the vast majority of units.

>get new WD today
>everything looks pretty nice
>see the reader mini of the month
>see trough cloth and painted nipples

>formations
Some of them. But formations are spread across a lot of different stuff including things like old White Dwarf magazine articles and various books. But it depends on your faction whether any of that stuff matters. For some (Ad Mech/Skitarii) it's very important. For others (Genestealer Cult for example), everything is in the one book.

>datasheets
Yes. Those are the standard rules antries for the various units.

>turn 5
>bring vendettas around
>"ride of the vendettas"
>aim at the wave serpent
>molestation of the serpent
>fucking tabled the chaeldari player as guard
>the emperor protects
>he says that FW armies are op and need to be nerfed and that flyers are op and need to be nerfed
>laughingcheetah.jpg
>he packs up his models
>The guys at the store are fucking pleased with how the game went
>get shouted lunch by the warconvo and sm player
>mmm, sushi
>everyone loves me at the store now
>I achieved victory because of the emperor
And that was the story of how I out cheesed eldar, well at least sort of
anyway, was fun sharing the story with you anons, hope you don't get fucked by eldar like I did in my first game

When will they remove Tyranids already? No one gives a fuck about that joke race anyway.

Why does GW fuck aussies and kiwis so hard on the exchange rate? I understand charging more for shipping but it doesn't make much sense.

>The gw shop has a Drill and a "sculpting kit" is that a scam for me doubloons?

The drill is only if you want to drill out the barrels of weapons to make them "look better". If you're not in modeling competitions it's not required, no one in an actual tabletop game is going to notice if random space marine #57 has a drilled bolter barrel or not.

The sculpting kit is nice if you work with greenstuff or other putty a lot, otherwise it's not needed. Greenstuff is good if you're doing custom models or altering existing models, it's not something you'll likely be doing for a while.

You won't need either of those things to get started, and most people don't ever need them.

Also, I forgot to mention, in case it isn't obvious you'll need dice and a tape measure as well.

>I ignore him
>I straight up remove the models and he charges the other meatshield squad through soulburst and I remove them without rolling as well
What a long, boring story that could have been summarized as cunt-on-cunt action.

My girlfriend plays tyranids

user, what army are you interested in?

ignore Always drill your barrels.

Taxes and sales rates and all that jazz.

I'd just get recasts so I could make the marines out of a mix of the different MK variants depending on the torso. Doing that legit would get way too expensive. For the havocs I'd keep them older, sturdier variants.

Literally no one in my meta (including people who have been playing for decades) drill their barrels. I asked when I started playing because I was also curious.

Plastic devistator kits
Plastic chaos marine kits
Plastic daemon prince kits

Boom, good to go.

Post games when you ENDURED.
>2v2 me mech guard with footslogging gk vs nurgle csm and haemonculus coven
>they both ignore gk and go fo me
>gk intercept biker lord with spawns and 7 talos engines, other units trying to run away from him
>csm have 3 mauler fiends, i failed to stop them turn one, second turn they charge my veterans and wipe them
>maulers are so close to me, punisher Pask actually shoots one in rear and fucking decimates him, ram other mauler with leman and finish him of with point blank shot from basilisk
>one basilisk immobilized, i split squadron so i can shoot two different targets
>Immobile basilisk with 1 hp shoots direct fire for the rest of the game, blowing away everything before him
>one grotesque squad stuck in sentinels, other destroyed by demolisher
>my command squad stuck in fight with plague marines and wracks for the rest of the game
>turn 4 gk sweeps what left of them
>kept you waiting, huh?

The drill is a hobby "pin vise". It's not a scam, it's standard hobby gear, but you can get a non-GW one for cheaper. The sculpting tools oare useful but only handy if you do a lot of sculpting work. And again, you can get non GW for cheaper. Until you're sure you want to do a lot of green stuff sculpting I would buy them and just you your hobby knife and a normal wooden pencil. You shouldn't need anything more than that for basic techniques.

The tools you really need are clippers, A large-ish brush, a smaller brush, plastic glue, super glue, and the specific paints you want for your guys. You may also want a few extra staple paints. Things like black, white, primary and secondary colors, a silver and gold metallic, and black and brown wash.

The rest of the stuff is things you can pick up as needed.

The only thing you should buy from GW is paints and models. Everything else you can get the same elsewhere for cheaper.

Good job! And that comes from he eldar player. Fuck cheese builds.

But you called wraithguard "wraithlord".

>would buy them
wouldn't buy them

At the very least buying forgeworld weapons for Havocs is the THE proper way to do it and cheaper than the official GW kit.

Disgusting.

How many dice? 30? What else do i need for dice, wound counter? do i need dice for specific things?

Glad i have started a Drill discourse

adeptus sororitas
Which doesn't have a Starter kit, the people who got me into it are all getting starter kits so i'll probably get a starter kit for someone else and add the SoB as allies as i try and get the models, my local doesn't have any models for it

My problem is i don't know what everything else is

I'm writing down all those paints. Thanks

PLASTIC ASPECT WARRIORS WHEN?
FUCKING RUSKIES CAN MAKE BETTER WARP SPIDERS THAN GW CAN!

>shadows over hammerhal
>the most recent rumour engine
Do you guys think Fulgrim and the Emperor's Children/Slaaneshi units are getting updated soon?

>Adeptus Sororitas
user, you chose perhaps the most expensive and outdated army in the game.

Then just order the Boris version. What's the problem?

apologies for calling it the wrong name
all of the wraith bullshit is confusing and all of it is supremely op

>adeptus sororitas
Oh, my sweet summer child

>Warp Spider spamming Aeldarifag

Fuck yourself faggot

Just a recommendation. Don't buy any of this shit direct from GW.

1. Tools like drills, glue and hobby knives can be bought cheaper, either from a different company such as Army Painter or simply from your hardware store.

2. Buying models and paint direct from GW is also dumb because either your local game shop or many online shops (EG. Wayland Games) do everything 20% off RRP. Ebay is also good for cheap minis - Just keep an eye on the price compared to getting it from Wayland or elsewhere.

3. Paints are important. I would recommend finding a faction you like and watching a few youtube videos to find a way of painting them that appeals to you and provides the look you want from the model. The people doing these videos will tell you what paints they used.

P3, Army Painter, Vallejo and GW themselves are the main paint companies for this stuff.

GW's own Channel, Warhammer TV provides beginner level tutorials for many of their minis, but bear in mind they'll only be using GW products.The guy who does it is the patron saint of Veeky Forums and /WIP/ in particular.

4. Walk before you can run. Get some cheap models off ebay to learn on and get your mistakes out the way. I would ignore drill bits and green stuff until the basics are down.

>FUCKING RUSKIES CAN MAKE BETTER WARP SPIDERS THAN GW CAN!
Nah. GW just hasn't done it yet.

That said, I find it weirdly appealing that the Phoenix lords are still using models that are 25 years old.

>How many dice? 30? What else do i need for dice, wound counter? do i need dice for specific things?

To start with, a couple sets of 12 should be fine. Make sure that if you get dice with designs that you're not mixing and matching them (ie some dice has a symbol on the 1 facing, and some have a symbol on the 6 facing).

>adeptus sororitas

I would strongly suggest against this. Sisters of Battle are cool fluffwise, but they are very difficult to build an entire army around. It would be better to find another Imperial faction and start that army, and then add a Sororitas allied detachment in later.

Ultimately it's your money and your time, so do what you want, but you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you avoid going sisters as your main force.

Where to find this?
Russians make good minis

Why is Zahndrekh so massively overrated?

160 points for a guy who can pick his warlord trait on any turn after the first and -serve no other role- is not good.

REEEEEEEE SPACE MARINES ARE ONLY 7' NOT SUPER GIANTS LIKE IN THAT PIC

But yeah, what user said. Though, to be honest, GW's Moldline remove and clipper are actually pretty good.

They are always out of production.
Also, I don't want just new Spiders, I want the whole Aspect Warrior range to be updated because the sculpts are all OLD AS SHIT.

Been using Warp Spiders since I got into the hobby almost a decade ago, because the Spiders are the coolest Aspect.

Phoenix Lords models are ugly as shit. They desperately need an update.

If he had a scythe he'd be fine.

>REEEEEEEE SPACE MARINES ARE ONLY 7' NOT SUPER GIANTS LIKE IN THAT PIC

Space Marines are around 7' tall outside of their power armor.

Adding the extra height that their boots provide, and assuming that the soldier to his left is around 6' tall, that image scales the Space Marine just fine.

Are warp spiders still broken now that Eldar players can't pretend they get infinite jumps in the shooting phase?

Hello,

Any advice on our Chinese overlord recasters?

Who are to be avoided? And who do you recommend for what armies?

Do you think the Aimperiali Aguardi in 8th will look like Cadians or be a new regiment?

They're still fast jetpackers with good guns and BS5 so yeah.

>adeptus sororitas
Ah. Then Aside from your codex, which you'll probably use Imperial Agents for the book/model kit you'll want is Fall of Cadia and the Triumvirate of the Imperium box. You'll want Celestine no doubt and FoC has the best formation/detachment for running SoB at the moment, Castellans of the Imperium.

Aside from that, try to pick up sisters off ebay. They've been around forever so they aren't too hard to pick up and luckily it's pretty-much foolproof to strip metal minis.

>REEEEEEEE SPACE MARINES ARE ONLY 7'
Do you have anything to back that up besides some old wall scale that has since been contradicted?

I've been away for like a week. What did I miss.

In case this user is still around

>Are Looted wagons worth the investment?

Not really

>The fucking conversion potential is driving me nuts

Yep, that's why you build them. I tend to run mine as Battlewagons when i do run them though.

>and 77 points for a s8 ap3 large blast with upgrades seems really good,

And if it was Strength 8, like the rules writers in White Dwarf said, you might have a point. In fact, it's Str 7, which makes all the difference in the world. Even Tyranid Warriors laugh at that. Worse, it's 24" range, and when all you have to protect you is AV11 Open Topped, there's a lot of hurt that can come back at you at that range. Worse, they're Heavy Support choices, by far our best and most crowded slot. Yeah you can always unlock more but then why wouldn't you take more Mek Gunz if you're going to do shooting.

>They can hold models which is cool too.

They're deathtraps and can't GO FAST like Trukks, which is the one saving grace of Trukks. Plus 1/6th of the time they don't do what you want them to do.

>ugly as shit
No way. Aside from being a little static they are still excellent minis.

Very awesome. Full approval for any chaos player that does this.

True, because then his good defensive abilities would come into play and he'd be a solid assault HQ with a support ability.

As is, he's just a tank with a mediocre for cost support ability, and not even so much of a tank as to be handy for just that in this power creep edition.

>fairly soon
Those latest rumours started this year so "soon" is two years from now, give or take a month.

And that's at its "soon"est.