/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Mystic Please Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mass Combat
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Warlocks and Wizards.
sgiz.mobi/s3/2c8ddcde043d

>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Will it finally be released?

Mystic sucks and psionics don't fit well with DnD

Fight me

I kind of like the old style of Psychics (2e?)

What's with the Plane Shift stuff, If you want to play a Kaladesh campaign, it revolves around artificers and fighters with cool gadgets (wings/maulfist things) how do we adapt those for 5e?

If a player wanted to use a well reasoned argument to intimidate someone would you let him use Wisdom?

In this case the Fighter (The only one with common sense) gave an argument against some thugs trying to rob them that boiled down to "I already have an arrow notched and your 30 feet away, plus we've got a Wizard". His charisma's only 8 and he has zero social proficiencies but I feel like I should've thrown him a bone for this.

So my party has successfully helped a cult resurrect an archfey that has been dead for slightly over a thousand years. How might one go about stating an archfey? High mental stats, truesight, at-will invisibility, the ability to create kitsune, and a few innate spells are a good start, but what might be some other fun ideas to tack on to an archfey of industry?

In most settings? Yeah you're completely right.

They have a time and a place though, plus they've been around so long that they feel obligated to do something with them.

If it means anything, the DMG does mention a varient rule for making intimidation checks strength-based instead of charisma-based. I'm sure your fighter has a better strength than charisma, even if he is a dexterity-based fighter.

Alternatively, you can always give him advantage or, a personal favorite of mine, tweak the DC for success to be lower.

Actually that's a good idea. For the future in a situation like that though I should've just made him pass because the thieves trying to intimidate the rogue and paladin didn't notice the fighter and wizard until it was too late.

If I was a group of three thugs I'd most likely fuck off when the odds weren't in my favor.

If you hate wild magic you are literally homosexual.

>they have been in DnD since 2nd ed
>Muh tolkien influenced setting
try again autist

>a well reasoned argument
Intelligence.

>"I already have an arrow notched and your 30 feet away, plus we've got a Wizard"
Still Charisma to see if it's threatening. Someone can hold a gun to your face and not sound threatening.

However, in situations like those I generally roll an Insight (Intelligence or Wisdom) check for the enemy to see if they have any common sense. If they fail an Insight check, they probably think the group is bluffing, that the robed guy isn't a wizard, the the fighter can't aim, etc.

1e, actually. They were a rare character option in the back of the AD&D 1e PHB.

So if I just dislike it I'm bisexual?
That sounds about right.

>hating random rainbows makes you a homosexual
I don't think that's how it works.

So in lore do spells still dissappear from memory or is it a stamina thing?

So my druid just got disintegrated by a zombie beholder while in wildshape, the poor bastard turned to dust and I gotta make a new character.

I would have killed it the previous turn but the DM had changed the zombie beholder so that it still got to come back at 1hp regardless of the fact the killing damage dealt to it was radiant damage.

Thoughts? It's finished now, im not gonna argue a character death.

>Someone can hold a gun to your face and not sound threatening.
Let's not fuck around here. If someone held a gun up to your face then pretty much everyone in this thread would shut up and listen. You'd be a fucking idiot not to listen to someone pointing a gun at you even if they looked like a square.

Nuclear Druid

I absolutely agree - and if you're fucking stupid, you have a low intelligence. Hence an Intelligence check for the enemy instead of an Intimidate check for the PC.

Anyone know how to import the spell handouts into roll20?

I think I'm doing the roll20 5etools thing wrong, I have the script installed but there's nothing in the compendium besides a new section that has a bunch of empty subsections.

Kobold Dragon Sorcerer who casts Polymorph a lot. He just wants to be a big dragon.

Just felt the need to make sure you weren't retarded. Too many people say they'd disarm the guy or some bullshit.

kys Dorian

Literally who?

Not him. I think I know the Dorian you're talking about but I don't see what he has to do with Wild Magic.

>but I don't see what he has to do with Wild Magic.

it isn't him then

Mind sharing because if not this is gonna bug me until I figure it out.

>Attack dragon and then try moving to the west of the map
>DM lines it up to hit me and two others
>ABLOO BLOO BLOO YOU DID IT ON PURPOSE WAAAAH
Fuck off.

Once you have the userscript installed and open the Roll20 game, you should see this in the settings tab of the right panel. Click Import Spells and the selection dialog will open up, letting you import some or all of them.

Oh, I see now, thanks.

New Unearthed Arcana explores rules for adding an incremental bonus to attack rolls whenever you miss that resets when you hit, to speed up combat amidst high AC combatants.

Are you looking forward to UA: Miss Tick?

Is it +1 Attack whenever you miss by any chance?

C'mon take 3 of mass combat.

Wild Sorcerer was some of the most fun I've had playing a one-shot.

>about to get mauled by a dire bear
>cast shield, but it wasn't enough
>wild surge makes me cast grease, both the bear and myself fall prone, DM rules it makes him miss

>at the top of a wall, enemy invaders charging below
>throw a fireball, wild surge makes me levitate as I rain fire upon my foes
>at the end of the battle, I become the bard's balloon for the next 9 minutes

>final confrontation against a group of cultists mind-controlling some orcs
>they summon what I can only guess was a nerfed Devourer (Volo's hadn't been released yet)
>I summon flumphs and A FUCKING UNICORN

Fun was had.

Sonic boom Tabaxi.

Making a Tiefling arcane trickster what three spells should I take?

Wild Magic Sorcerers are one of those things where I will not play them in any kind of serious campaign but sound fun if you and everyone is just playing a joking, fun one.

I don't like them either but they fit just fine.

the fuck is mystic?

So when is UA - Blueballs for Mystics coming out?

So, moon druids.

Looking around, there seems to be a lot of confusion about the workings of how wild shape interacts with abilities and feats.

Do we have actual sage advice on this?

I am asking as a GM. Right now, we interpret it as follows:
Feats and abilities, except for senses (dark vision etc.) Transfer over to the wild shape form.

I am rather generous, so feats, including ASI's, transfer over - i want there to be a mechanical point of taking strength and dexterity. Of course, 20 is still the natural cap, so unless the monster somehow exceeds 20 (not to my knowledge) it cannot go past it.

Furthermore, I find it odd to allow feats to work, but not ordinary ASI. Why would you gain dex/strength/con from a feat, but not an ordinary ASI?

How do you play this out, and do we have an official ruling on this?

Ah cool, was writing a reply to your post on the previous thread.

The PHB rules state that STR/DEX/CON are taken from the animal's statblock, whereas you retain your INT/WIS/CHA, which I agree with - you're transforming your shape to that of another creature, it wouldn't make sense for ASIs to your original body to also apply to your new one. However, it's still your mind, and as such any ASIs should still apply for the mental stats.

Personally, I don't allow feats while in wild shape, and I don't agree with your reading that feats are allowed. The PHB says >You retain the benefits of any features from your class, race, or any other source

Features to me doesn't imply feats - it sounds like, as listed, class features or race features, with the last line there as a catch-all for any other gained features a character might have acquired.

I don't think you need to be generous at all with Moon Druids anyway, Wild Shape is their bread and butter and is pretty damn good as it is. If I were to buff them i'd give them additional uses of Wild Shape as they level.

A psionic class for 5ed is set up like the cleric in that is has archetypes that cover the different archetypes from 4ed and 3.5ed

MYSTICS DON'T DRAW POWER FROM THE FAR REALM OR WTF OTHER PLANE. Do you even know what power of the mind means WotC?

Yeah they do
There are portals to the far realm inside your brain
Dummy

I really want to try one out for a longer campaign and see what happens. Essentially the strategy would be:
>be a tiefling for fire resistance
>don't use tides of chaos until you have enough HP to survive a fireball (around level 3-4)
>try to stay 25ft away from most of your party members avoid hurting them with fireball or confusion
Most other things are good or harmless, so I don't see why it wouldn't work unless the DM was aiming for a really serious game.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Do you even psionics 2ed?

I am just reading "other sources" as "not just the class".

Do people really view moon druids as *good*?

My players very rarely multiclass, and when they do, it is often for thematic reasons (Fey lock turns from just gaining powers, to actively fighting on the name of his patron as a paladin of the Ancients, Arcane trickster goes full wizard, etc.) - so the min/maxing is rather limited. Despite this, the usual fighter, paladin, warlock, rogue, monk... really, anyone but the vanilla Ranger, is just outperforming the moons ruin in almost all regards. The only thing they have going for them, is the ability to soak a lot of damage, which is lame as hell. I'd also prefer to give them the option of going for more customized forms - a large bear is pretty cool, but if you invested +4 dex into it...

I also don't think it is a good idea to just straight up not allow feats to work. There are a ton of really good feats for a wild formed druid, like sentinel and resilient, and straight up not allowing them, would give them a large handicap compared to the other close combat fighters.

Or is my party just unique in being bad at moon druid or something?

This isn't 2ed
Dummy

>not knowing the origins of the true psionicist
>tips fedora
>swirls cape

It's whatever WotC says
Dummy

What transfers to wild shape in determined in its description:
>alignment
>personality
>Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores
>skill and saving throw proficiencies
>the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so
It's that simple. Feats can only be used if your new form would be capable of using them. So a giant eagle-druid could use the benefits of Observant or Alert, and I think even Sentinel, but not of Great Weapon Master or Dual Wielder.

>Strength is used for:
Carrying Capacity.
Attack/Damage roll modifiers with certain weapons.
Strength saves.
Strength skills.
>Dexterity is used for:
Initiative roll modifier.
AC modifier on lightly armored characters.
Attack/Damage roll modifiers with certain weapons.
Dexterity saves.
Dexterity skills.
>Constitution is used for:
Number of bonus hit points every level.
Constitution saves.
>Intelligence is used for:
Intelligence saves
Intelligence skills
>Wisdom is used for:
Wisdom saves.
Wisdom skills.
>Charisma is used for:
Charisma saves
Charisma skills

>Your mission:
Make suggestions that would dethrone Dexterity as the must-have ability, while making Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma abilities that are actually worth putting points into as a non-caster.

After installing the userscript I see the import spell option, but when I click import it shifts over to the character/handouts tab... but no spell window appears for selection or import. I can only assume I have made a foolish mistake

FUCK YOU WOTC.
I want my mystic independent of outside forces!

>Import monsters
>Bunch of "undefined" stuff popping up in attack rolls
>Trying to delete them all now
I have made a mistake.

ok, are spell components used up for every spell or is it only specified?

Only if specified
Items that aren't used are simply catalysts that must be present to invoke the specific spell.

Having a half-decent perception is enough for me to want to invest in wisdom most of the time.

ah I was wondering, As I was considering the economics of diamonds being wasted by even basic spells. but thanks for clarifying, Hell it even gives me a idea of say a gemstone being used over a long period of time being suffused with magic and eventually being made into its own magic object

Additionally, a mystic dependent on the Far Realm means no Dark Sun setting as Athas is disconnected from all other planes. Of course WotC can also change that!

What level is your party?

Moon Druids are ridiculous at 2nd to 3rd, pretty good at 4-6th, OK at 7-8th, then their usefulness falls off a cliff. Most of my group's campaigns tend to stay within those ranges, mostly because that's where we have the most fun and that gives us a good 2-5 month period which we can run a solid campaign in, so we haven't really had too many issues there.

How do you see your druid? Is he a caster, a tank, a damage dealer, a stealthy dude, or all of the above? Druids are really versatile.

The real usefulness with Moon Druids are the abilities of the creatures, rather than the base stats - Turning into a Warhorse and Dashing gives 120ft of movement. The Tiger's pounce, the Dire Wolf's pack tactics or the Brown Bear's multiattacks are all great in combat. The Giant Spider is insane for scouting/sneak attacks in dungeons/caves. For some ungodly reason a Giant Octopus is a CR1 creature, pic related.

Plus, don't knock the damage soaking - as weird as it sounds, having a burst tank is really useful. Party member is in trouble? Suddenly there's a bear in the way. Group of small weak enemies? Tiger pounce into the middle, if they manage to kill it, next round turn into something tanker and draw attention from everyone else.

Also, Wild shape aside, how is your druid having trouble dealing consistent damage? He is aware of Moon Beam, is he not?

Spell components are always consumed - but a component pouch or focus takes away the bookkeeping and it's assumed you just always have the mundane components available to avoid the minutiae of buying or searching for them.

If it's something like Gem (1000gp) then you actually do have to go out of your way to buy the specified item for whatever parenthesis price says and it's consumed on use.

Generally the only time a GM should make you track your spell components is if you opted for a component pouch and you've been out in the wilderness for a reasonably long time and haven't had time to restock in a town, or if you're captured and don't have access to your focus/pouch in which case you might reasonable be expected to cast spells with only verbal and somatic tags.

>a gemstone being used over a long period of time being suffused with magic and eventually being made into its own magic object
Sounds pretty cool, user.
As long as "a long period of time" isn't one session later.

What? Spell components are consumed only if the material component has a cost and it specifies that it consumes it.

Why would anyone use Chromatic Orb, ever, if it always consumed a 50gp diamond?

but what if it has a cost but doesnt specify?

There a way for me to get multiple "attacks of opportunity"? I've always had a thing for goblinoids, and bugbears look much more solid than goblins and hobgoblins.

But polymorph only lets you change things into animals.
Your build is ok. Your use of your stats is good. You're just starting from strictly worse than standard array. There's certainly at least one party member with stats strictly better than standard array, so it's easy for them to outshine you. You didn't do anything wrong. Except rolling for stats. Ree. Etc.
The origin isn't weak if you get a lot of surges and position correctly; IE point the dangerous end at enemies. It's just DM dependent.

Nah I was thinking something more like it taking several years at the very least.

Has anyone tried the previous UA mystic? It looks good.

I don't think so? Though it makes sense in my head that, if you are given multiple opportunities to get a slap in if more than one thing is trying to move past you, you can.

My bad I forgot about that. Chromatic Orb for instance does require a diamond worth 50 gp but isn't consumed unless specified. But items like that generally require you to actually acquire one before casting the spell and aren't included in the mundane part of a component pouch.

If you took chromatic orb at 1st level during chargen but didn't spend any of your starting gold on the diamond to cast it - your DM might tell you too bad, can't cast unless you buy one.

So to correct myself: if (which the spell consumes) is present, the Xgp item is lost forever, mundane stuff like pinch of some kind of dust is also always consumed but it's assumed you have an infinite amount, and things with a gp cost but no consume on use is present you still need to have that item present but you keep it forever or until lost.

Sorry for the misinfo there.

>I've always had a thing for goblinoids, and bugbears look much more solid than goblins and hobgoblins.

Assuming you're talking abnout playing one using the Volo's race rules, if your DM lets you use a bugbear he deserves everything he gets.

Long limbs is flat-out bullshit, and doesn't even make sense seeing as the base creature in the MM doesn't even have that ability.

To my mind if you play a monstrous race, you should be at an inherent disadvantage. It's hard to RP well with, and your character should constantly be treated with suspicion and distrust. It shouldn't be played for minmaxing.

dunno what Mystic is but psychic abilities have their own settings in d&d since forever (or as some call it, 2nd edition). It means that they are probably more familiar with d&d than you

Then it's not consumed, it's a one time cost, but you need to use the money and own that item to cast the spell.

>mfw I know someone who asked 'is that even real' first.
Not a ninja. Just cynical, I guess.

From Light, Dark, Underdark! UA, here is a fighting style available to Fighters, Paladins and Rangers:

>Tunnel Fighter
You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces.
As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

>Except rolling for stats. Ree. Etc.

I was annoyed too. I joined the campaign late as I was rejoining the group after travelling for a bit. I've never like rolling for them, but the rest of the group rolled for theirs when they started and it wouldn't be cool to rock up with some min-maxed pointbuy build.

Ah well, hopefully he'll die soon and I can make something more interesting if the DM ever actually fucking makes his monsters attack the fucking tank, we're level 5 now and I've never dropped below half HP jesus fucking christ

I generally tend to base intimidation check on attribute which is fitting the way that player is intimidating.

>I feel like I should've thrown him a bone for this.

If their argument is good enough, I'd give my players advantage for this. If he's got a good argument, it should count for something, but if he's not very charismatic he still could fuck it up.

the most important question of them all: can I use martial arts as a gorilla?

Any chance of a Plane Shift book in the future?

Nope. Plane-Shift is nothing but the non-profit project of one guy that's worked on both MtG and D&D within WotC.

made my choice for my lvl 1 arcane trickster
>cantrips
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion
Shocking Grasp
>lvl 1 spells
Disguise Self
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Sleep

>lvl 3 arcane trickster

Poison adds ON TOP OF your already existing damage.

No matter how it is, it is a straight buff that casters can't use.

Treachery: 'How many different ways can I get advantage?: the class' and the level 20 ability nobody will ever get but shows they clearly have no fucking clue what they're doing. Also the 20 poison damage ability is a bit strong early on, I guess, with the clone being...
Overall it just shits on vengeance paladin.
Gives a ton of ways to get advantage, have a clone that allows them to get advantage against multiple targets instead of one (Though it takes an action I think), still gets haste...

Not crazy overpowered or anything, but just a poor design. They didn't need .. Three? Maybe four abilities based on giving you a load of advantage?

Conquest was just a bit naff. Didn't offer anything awfully interesting, and you can do conquest just as easily with a slight refluff on devotion, perhaps. No, well, conquest isn't a bad idea, it just really didn't feel interesting.

There wasn't a third UA paladin, right? If there was, it was too lame for me to remember.

Whoops, posted in old thread.

A lot of 4e's abilities would be extremely hard to justify the use of.

How the hell does everyone attack themself by you going past them? You deflect their swords into their faces? I can understand just one 'You counterattack after an enemy misses you' or possibly a gish going 'Your enemy must make a wis save or recklessly attack you with their reaction, making an attack with disadvantage before you make an attack against them'.. Or something.

But this is just 'You walk along and everybody suddenly feels compelled to maul their own face off, no save'.

If you want a battle tactical game with no sense, why not just pllay 4e?

>Nope
That sucks, all the current stuff needs more content imo, it sucks it's just one poor guy trying to jam a whole plane in magic into one small pdf

It's just a bonus thing, it's nothing too special.

If you're that interested, Plane-Shift comes out roughly a month or two after the release of the second set of a MtG block.

The next block is Amonkhet and the second set of it, Hour of Devastation, will be released on July 14. This means we can roughly approximate Plane-Shift: Amonkhet's release date as being in the middle of August.

Right now, all we know about Amonkhet is that it's a very Egyptian plane with gods that have shiny metal animal-heads, that is ultimately ruled by a very smart, very angry and very ambitious dragon wizard.

Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Mage Hand

Find Familiar, and two other enchantment/illusion, probably charm person or disguise self or tasha's hideous laughter.

Find familiar because familiars are great and you don't even need to use a spell slot on it every day.
Booming blade + Green flame blade because it's stronger than two-weapon-fighting if you are fairly sure you'll hit and you can't draw two weapons on your first turn anyway (Don't really need either if you're ranged and have crossbow expert, especially if you have archery)

So, is there any way to make a good Bladelock with the new invocations or is Hexblade just that much better?

>good Bladelock with the new invocations or is Hexblade just that much better

Why not just make a Hexblade Bladelock with the invocations? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

If you don't go Hexblade, you're still not too bad off. You can go Strength build and get a decent NotSmite option (or Dex build with the Fey bow), and the new invocations offer some improvements.

Still a decent option for multiclassing with Rogue for the Extra Attack Sneak Attack bonuses.

>Why not just make a Hexblade Bladelock with the invocations? The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Well yes, I realize that's an option. Personally I've just preferred other weapons than a run-of-the-mill greatsword. Just feels very stereotypical.

Also,
>Extra Attack Sneak Attack bonuses.
you'll have to forgive me, I just woke up so I'm not entirely following here.

I thought arcane tricksters couldn't take booming blade and green flame blade?

wait my mistake they can

I don't see why not. It's part of the wizard spell list, and there's no restriction on what wizard cantrips you can learn.

It's perfectly valid to be a ranged rogue and not use them, however.

>I've just preferred other weapons than a run-of-the-mill greatsword.
You can still use other weapons with the Hexblade build. The real advantage is not going MAD, because you can use Cha as your attack modifier. Just don't use the greatsword, it's still the best Bladelock patron.

>you'll have to forgive me, I just woke up so I'm not entirely following here.
Bladelocks can take Thirsting Blade at level 5 to get an extra attack.

Dual wielding Rogues with one of the weapons as a Pact Weapon, therefore, get Main Weapon Attack + Main Weapon Attack + Off-hand Weapon Attack.
That's three chances to hit with a Sneak Attack, which is the big advantage of Rogues.

Not to mention, Roguelocks get plenty of utility to line up Sneak Attack availability in melee range, and can take an archetype other than Arcane Trickster while still getting roughly the same ability set.

>You can still use other weapons with the Hexblade build. The real advantage is not going MAD, because you can use Cha as your attack modifier. Just don't use the greatsword, it's still the best Bladelock patron.
That's true, though I'd miss out on the pseudo-smite they have through the invocation weps.

Also the rogue thing is pretty interesting, though I just came out of a CoS campaign as a rogue so I don't think I'll go that route.

There's things like The Art of MtG: Zendikar, and I've heard people using that to build campaigns, but yeah, I'd love more support for Plane Shift.

hows the Kaladesh pyromancer?