Board Game General /bgg/

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

It's Monday, so time for news, what new releases look good to you, any new stores open nearby, what'd you play? Any projects you're working on?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/article/9176767#9176767
youtu.be/RL_WqY3L4SA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think blood rage was a stupid game but i think rising sun looks pretty cool desu

Looked into Millennium Blades and it looks pretty legit
I really don't wanna buy it at 80 + shipping though, because I don't think anyone in my group would wanna play it more than once

I know that feel user, sometimes you buy a game and it just sits, only solution I've found is smaller/local cons where I run the game and hope people sign up.

Looking for a cool miniatures fighting game. Help me decide between these two.

Why not a minitures game that's already out and has decent reviews? Don't gamble on kickstarter shit user

Get the guild ball starter box instead, or the suicide squad box for the batman miniatures game.

Tannhauser.

why do you keep posting this? are you shilling or are you just unable to make decisions?

If you're shilling fuck you. If you're unable to make decisions buy something that has legit reviews and don't rely on kickstarter hype.

Seconding the Guild Ball Kickoff! box. You won't regret it, plus it's cheap -- MSRP is $70 USD. Hardest part is finding a copy, but the reprint is hitting stores now/soon so that will be a thing of the past too.

Why don't you get games that are actually good instead of
>hurrdurr gots to have them shiny plastics with the dicechucking and the amerigarbage.

How about recommending something in the genre he asked about or ignoring him instead of being a noncontribution to discussion

I'm pretty sure the title atop this thread is "Board Game General", not "Action figures for Manchildren General".

It's also not a "shitpost about things you don't like" thread

>there will never be a monster hunter style board game that isn't shit or filled to the brim with fucking minitures

> checks the url bar
Yeah, no, I'm pretty sure it is.

Well I have never owned such a combat game and would really like to have one and these two really speak to me. I like the way they look and I like how combat works.

Right now I'm 60:40 in favor of Mythic Battles.

boy you sound like a total eurofag, do you enjoy playing with yourself in front of other people?

just curious, do you have a problem with miniatures or just the "i need minis" culture that ks has devolved to?

KDM is a good game but costs so much because of aforementioned culture, so I'm curious where you're coming from. Would you buy KDM if it was say 60 dollars but came with cardboard standees (all possible add ons included) instead?

I always thought an asymmetric card game with one side playing the hunter and the other playing monster(s) would work well. The monster player controls the environment, enemies, and must limit the hunter's resource gathering before they farm the materials they need to take down the monster. If the hunter doesn't defeat the monster in x turns or loses all health they lose.

Simple but could work well.

I sure am, and I do -- because that's exactly what boardgames are. Playing with toys is some other faggot activity.

>literal 500 dollar plastic pusher LOOKIT DEM MINIS shit
>go-guys it's a good game really!

lol fuck off, come back when you play a real game, like Jaipur or Santorini

My problem with modern miniature games is that the retail version is at best a gutted release compared to the KS version.

>real game
Surely you mean Valley of the Kings.

>whynotboth.png

That was my point though, would you buy it if it wasn't based on the plastic?

I personally have it and wish I could have bought it for 50-60 dollars but not have paid for plastic. Do you think that is a realistic vision for the game moving forward?

Basically I think it is a well designed game but cashed in on the miniature-based culture of ks. Do you think that is an accurate assessment or do you think the game is just bad?

>KDM is a good game but costs so much because of aforementioned culture

Gonna have to stop you right there friendo. The minis are part of the cost, yes, but a small one. There's also the other 18 or so lbs of dead tree with high quality images printed on all of it.

This has nothing to do with KDM as KDM did not have a retail release, but I guess thanks for bumping or something?

Maybe. I think KDM has alot of jank going for it in the form of the town stuff and the pre-hunt bit. The actual combat seems really fun but the game actually revolving around the town's development really kills it. I would however buy a version without minis probably yes.

Literally what I've been trying to design in my head, maybe a all v 1 style card game

Everyone's group is different, but I can tell you that my group and I have played it upwards of 15 times and are nowhere near bored, and that was before we got all this new expansion content. So take that as you will.

Level 99 has a reputation for cramming tons of shit into their games to increase the replayability and millennium blades is no exception.

They are the main cost. Show me minis of this quality in another game that are not overcosted and I will either agree with you or show you a game that bases its price solely on minis unlike KDM which prices high because it is unique and has quality minis.

Your opinion on Innovation, /bgg/? A friend told me it's pretty good and I'm considering buying it.

If by jank you mean randomness then yes, you are correct but that adds value to some people (like me) who want to have an experience.

I appreciate your comment and think we are more or less agreeing here.

Not that I don't agree with you that there should be a non-plastic laden version, but just want to point out that a pretty common misconception is that its all the models that make up the bulk of the game cost. It's actually the ridiculous amount of printing costs due to the huge amounts of high quality cards and the campaign books and shit. This may differ for the expansions as there's a lot less cardboard, but at least for the base game, it's really all about the wood.

It's partially the randomness and that there's just way too many fucking mechanics going on. Totally understand that it appeals to people who want a grand epic adventure of human survival in a dark grim world but when I want to play a game about fighting monsters I want more ripping a lions testicles off and less spending time building a settlement

>Gonna have to stop you right there friendo. The minis are part of the cost, yes, but a small one. There's also the other 18 or so lbs of dead tree with high quality images printed on all of it.
Gonna have to stop you right there friendo. Gloomhaven, for example, has 25 lbs of dead tree products including nearly 200 pages of full color rules, 1600 cards, lots and lots of sealed boxes and a main box that is actually larger than KD:M's box in terms of total volume (and 18 PVC plastic minis) and only comes in at an MSRP of $120.

KD:M's price tag is driven by its minis. Hard plastic minis are not cheap. The estimated ~$100 MSRP of a miniature-less version of KD:M is, as far as I can tell compared to other games in the genre, quite accurate at best and at ballpark at worst.

And I'm not even talking shit about KD:M. I think it's a good game with great minis. But I'd never recommend it to someone who didn't like both the gameplay and also want to paint the minis. If you don't check both of those boxes then it's a bad deal.

The box weighs 17 lb as per the website.

There's 13 miniatures inside the box

We'll stretch it and say they weigh 2 lbs all together.

You're telling me, that the reason that game costs several hundred dollars, is because of those 13 miniatures, not because of the 15 lbs of material that is created, organized, and managed by a company made up of like less than 5 people.

If after understanding this, you still think the cost comes from those miniatures, when the creator of it all is kind of retarded from a business standpoint, almost bankrupting the company after the first kickstarter because he underpriced things, then there's no point continuing this discussion further. You have some weird festering issue that I won't even bother trying to pinpoint.

So I'll just call you pants on head retarded.

Just canceled my pledge for GKR: Heavy Hitters. Read the rulebook and gotta say... what a pile of shit. All style and no substance. Maybe it's just the rulebook but it sounds fucking awful.

If I recall correctly, a miniatureless version was being sold at a convention a while back by the creator for 250. The normal MSRP is 400. So take that as you will.

Unfortunately it was only for people at the convention at the time, and I think he sold so few he didn't think it was worth it to make it available outside of that instance.

user, the person being retarded is you.

Kingdom Death: Monster (1.0) comes with 42 miniatures. One of those, the Phoenix, is fucking enormous and miniatures of comparable size made out of comparable high quality materials sold by other companies go for $75 to $100 a piece. Even the human minis in the game are larger than average and are multi-piece kits and not mono-pose kits driving their price up.

If you were to itemize the amount of sprues in KD:M and compare them to the price of Malifaux, Warmachine and Games Workshop sprues you would find that it accounts for nearly the entire MSRP of the game. There are a lot of sprues in that box. Of course, those other companies are overpriced, but the point is one of comparison.

And then you have the fact that there are actual games with significantly more cardboard content with MSRPs in the low 100s. I pointed out Gloomhaven in my previous post, but there are other examples.

Long story short, if you think that the cost of KD:M isn't at least, at the absolute minimum, driven at least half by the minis then you're a total retard. I personally lean towards 2/3rds being the minis.

>If I recall correctly, a miniatureless version was being sold at a convention a while back by the creator for 250.
You recall incorrectly. That version was being sold for $100. Not saying that's what the actual cost would be if he were to produce it, but that is what he sold it for.

In the end it doesn't matter, because the designer has stated with no lack of clarity that he will never produce a version of the game without minis; that sale was just versions of the game whose minis were pilfered and used for replacement claims.

Most I'm worried about is it being too heavy or long for em
But after watching a few tutorials I think I could explain it well enough, now to find it in stock somewhere

If you ease them into it, its really not complicated. Definitely play the tutorial tournament with just starting decks, and maybe dont use characters your first time. The game really isn't hard to learn. The only complications come from how many different interactions there are between the cards, and the potential stress of the time limit.

My group is pretty damn lenient with the time limit, and if there's ever anyone that needs a couple extra minutes, I usually set another 3 minutes on the clock and that works out well for us. We'd rather be enjoying ourselves than stressing out.

Can someone elaborate on the differences and ensuing spat about Euro games vs. American? I'm not a complete board game noob but apparently I've missed a big culture shock there.

This is reaaaally condensing things, but it's something like this

>Euro
All about system mechanics. Little to no random chance. Theme is low priority

>Ameritrash
All about the theme. Usually involved some method of random chance. Direct player elimination is a thing. System is usually low priority

Lately, there's been a lot of hybrids though, so the lines are kind of blurred.

In regards to people shit talking, the only constant I can think of is the concept of random chance. I love it, it forces you to think on the fly. People focused on euros hate it, because its not something they can predict.

Like knightmare chess. People serious about chess hate it, because they can no longer absolutely predict things, and it drives them up the wall. Or something along those lines.

Thanks.

Coming from a person with an RPG group who's dabbled in your standard board games and some Warhammer, I can appreciate the differences.

The first time I played Dicehammer 40k, I felt like I was gambling.

Ya, all of games workshops shit is just decehammer now. and the reason is that normies love games that don't require thought or skill, they wannna win or lost based on luck

Euros are people who like to actually use their grey matter. Ameritrash are (as the term implies) for braindeads who like to play garbage.

Dead of winter, yes or no?

It's a more random battlestar galactica with a more accessible theme. take that how you will

Outdated terms really. Euro implies a dry brain burner with a barebones theme but games like millennium blades and scythe which are way more euro and american in their focus on mechanics and player conflict are absolutley fucking dripping in theme. Inis too and Kemet and a shitload of other games i can think of.

No doubt I'll get a response telling me why none of these are euro games but my point is its an outdated term desu, thats why you cant categorise them

I play Catan and Risk with a couple of my buddies but we're looking to find some other games we might like. Basically anything without too much chance involved and falling into the category of civilization development/war. Something good to play while drinking.

> Catan
> without too much chance

I wasn't saying Catan didn't have too much chance, I was asking for recommendations of similar games that don't have as much chance.

fortunately hybrids (at least the ones I've played) generally bring out the best of both Ameritrash and Euro games, honestly the main distinction I look for nowadays in Ameritrash vs Euro is the amount of direct player interaction involved

and that's not really getting into other categories like wargames or train games and how they can blend with Ameritrash/Euro

here's a few games I've played while drinking or high that are relatively easy to pick up and don't involve as much dumb luck as Catan and Risk:

Wiz-War
Nevermore
Letters from Whitechapel
Neuroshima Hex

Personally no. If you include a traitor and they show up then the traitor wins almost guaranteed as long as they can actually achieve their personal goal. The game is too knife-edged in balance to make a traitor a good idea. It's actually even a challenge to play the game without a traitor at all.

It's not an outdated term.

Compare:
Kemet (a hybrid euro/ameritrash game)
Terra Mystica (a euro game)
War of the Ring 2nd edition (an Ameritrash game)

>relatively easy to pick up and don't involve as much dumb luck as Catan and Risk

Exactly what I was looking for, wiz-war and neuroshima hex look great. Thanks!

Hey gang, it's the dude who was trying to find co-op games for his wife last thread. Thanks for being cool and helping me out, I will be sure to look into those games - right now that Ghost Stories one looks pretty cool, but it wasn't at my FLGS, unfortunately. Also I am intrigued about the bioterrorist in 'on the brink' pandemic, that looks like a lot of fun in a large enough game.

Anyway, just wanted to drop in and thank those of you who helped me out last time,in case any of you are reading. I didn't check back in fast enough to reply in the last thread.

If you're fine with ameritrash games, it's really fun for the first few games, then enjoyment drops off significantly.

I missed the boat, but I picked up Eldritch Horror to play with my SO about a month ago and its been great. The game is a bit on the heavy side, but it's a lot of fun for two people who are already into board games and like horror themed stuff.

no worries user, I highly recommend playing with all variant rules that are listed with an asterisk in the rulebook for Wiz-War, they're classic edition rules that shit all over the FFG-ized rules. there's also thread on BGG that recommends removing a few cards to increase the intensity of the game, which may be of interest:

boardgamegeek.com/article/9176767#9176767

glad to hear that you took my suggestions!

The DnD board games are more of a hunting game than KDM, and they're not at all.
KDM is an ant colony torture sim, not a game.

What are some decent dungeon-diving games? Preferably solo-capable.

I've been trying to design something like this. A bit more FFTactics Advance than Monster Hunter.
>Modular heroes with a Job system and Job-specific abilities
>Clan building with heroes
>Procedurally generated hunting grounds with random climate, events monsters and even other hunters fighting you for your Mark
>Strong enemy AI so you don't need a forever DM or a fucking app

Castle Ravenloft, maybe Shadows of Brimstone.

>>Strong enemy AI so you don't need a forever DM or a fucking app
how would that be possible

Kingdom Death did it fine.

>Kingdom Death did it fine.
Yes. And Gloomhaven did it even better.

Speaking of which, I would recommend Gloomhaven to that user, but... it's out of stock literally everywhere right now, so it's hard to get a hold of. My group is six scenarios in and it's just blowing our minds.

Well the next logical step up to games with a BIT more advanced mechanics is something like Axis & Allies.

Now there are like 30 expansions and versions of it, but they all play similar.

>Gloomhaven shills
Hope you bought that extra sicker book.

Dang I'd love to get the wife into Arkham or Eldritch Horror, but the complexity of it's always put me off. I know she could manage it fine, I'm just worried it wouldn't hold her attention even though we both love the Lovecraft and horror.

Don't get the AH board game, way too much for a new player. If you like card games and a roleplaying aspect, and don't mind the LCG model, the AH LCG is shaping up to be great so far, and we're just getting into the first half of the first real campaign.

As for EH, it improves on the AH boardgame in playability and is almost puzzley, if a little too random (so is the AH LCG, now that I mention it). I'd recommend having your wife watch this to get her into the boardgame:
youtu.be/RL_WqY3L4SA

Trust me, if my wife can play and enjoy both games, yours can too.

>everybody who likes something is a shill
Hope you regain your faith in humanity someday user.

Did you get the extra stickers tho?

They didn't even sell extra stickers. You're memeing something that doesn't even exist. There's not even a need for it; the stickers just track what you've unlocked.

Honestly while its an imposing board game at first, it actually isn't super complex to the point of distraction. Every PC has two actions, then every PC has an encounter card, then you process the Mythos card (based on the three top symbols and the text), then you repeat. It still is a lot to keep track of, but it's very manageable and moves decently fast once you know what you're doing. It helps that since it's a coop game, you really only need one person at the table who knows what they're doing. If you have the owner of the game process the Mythos cards, PC actions and encounter cards are very easy to understand. I ran three people through my copy of EH this weekend who had never played before, and they had a ton of fun.

One warning is that Fantasy Flight's box is literally the shittiest thing ever. The default organization material (like 4 bags and a useless cardboard insert) is legitimate horseshit. You'll want to at least get a ton of tiny bags to store stuff individually, and maybe make/buy a foam core insert for the game eventually. Doing anything like that will reduce setup massively, which otherwise takes forever as you make sure all the cards, tokens and mini cards are separated.

I know Battlestar Galactica is a game that a lot of people have really enjoyed. I also know a lot of people consider it to have been "replaced" by more recent games with traitors.

If I love the show, is the BSG board game still worth getting?

>I also know a lot of people consider it to have been "replaced" by more recent games with traitors.
It has only been "replaced" if you're looking for faster, lighter traitor games. Battlestar Galactica is still hands down the reigning king of long-form heavy traitor games. If you're willing to put 3 to 4 hours into a heavy duty traitor game then you can't do better than BSG.

(And I'm not saying it's bad to prefer faster or lighter games. If that's your thing then go ahead for it and play these games.)

nothing about your post is accurate, but if it made you feel happy to type it then I'm glad for you

I got a Plano 3650N box that works pretty well, the cut up insert looks like shit but it works and I'm not really willing to spend money on something else.

Tom Vasel claims that people playing it get really into the theme and start calling each other fracking toasters and shit. In your experience is this the case, or is that just his group?

How does Gloomhaven do AI?

Yes, but only if there's a couple of folks who have watched the show. If 2-3 people in the game have watched the show then the banter starts to flow and the rest of the table picks up on the meanings of the terms. If you're the only one at the table who has seen the show then it'll sink like a forced meme.

Also, fair warning, the base game only works properly with 5 people. If you add the third expansion then 6 works. I never play the game except with 5 to 6 players.

Each enemy type has a small deck of cards. Each turn you flip a card and that determines when that enemy will act for a turn and what it will do.

Sounds awesome, thanks.

Play Kingdom Death on TTS.

>Kemet (a hybrid euro/ameritrash game)
>no player elimination
>no luck
>victory-point based
You only think it has anything to do with Ameritrash because it has nice art and minis.

you completely glossed over the fact it has direct player interaction, which is almost always absent in Euros

>everything that is good is a quality of a eurogame
>everything that is bad is a quality of an ameritrash game
>therefore eurogames are great and ameritrash are bad
At some point all you're arguing is that good games are good because they're good with some pointless obfuscation, and then you just look like an idiot with a stick up his ass.

>He didn't get the stickers.

Interesting. Assuming we're still on Monster Hunter adaptations, I can see how it would make a better fit, even if KD:M's seems a lot more interesting with the moveset depletion. You could probably retool a hybrid of both and add in monster specific cards to a deck of a certain type, and adding or replacing certain cards after breaking body parts or deal enough damage. Probably fit in Dark Souls' no-deck-shuffle thing in too.

>you completely glossed over the fact it has direct player interaction, which is almost always absent in Euros
You're a moron. All boardgames have direct player interaction. You can't see it because you're an idiot who only cares about muh monsters and muh lovecraft and muh robots beating each other up and can't actually focus on the game.

The meanest, cruelest games are games like Ticket to Ride and Agricola. (Of course they're well-designed, so they also scale very well to situations when you feel like being nice and not hurting anyone's feelings.)

'Euro' games are actual games -- intellectual sport.

Ameritrash games are 'interactive experiences', i.e., roleplaying for losers, i.e., not actually games, just like Calvinball isn't actually a game.

Now, there isn't really anything wrong with roleplaying, but your sarcastic point is technically correct: every good game is a 'eurogame' and every bad game is 'ameritrash'.

Should I get Eldritch Horror or Arkham LCG?

It seems like you have to sink some money into Arkham to really get something out of it.

I almost never buy games based on theme and I sure as hell am not interested in Zombies vs. Cthulhu in Renaissance Italy, nice try though

also, please name three worker placement games that are not Argent: The Consortium and Sons of Anarchy that are more than "wew lad you got to the spot I wanted to take!!! you big meanie!!!" as worker placement games are the epitome of multiplayer solitaire

>Ticket to Ride and Argicola are the meanest, cruelest games
ok you're definitely tickling my funny bone here, good one m80

please go play any of the Pax series by Phil Eklund and come back when you have a basic understanding of what direct player interaction is

Why is everyone in this general always so defensive?

Puberty.

But Kemet has no theme or unteresting gameplay, why do you mention it?

Is Scythe actually as good as its ranked on Board Game Geek? It seems the reviews are pretty mixed on it.

>"Games" witout player interaction
>with samey gameplay and strategies
>bunch of autists "build" something in their corner
>good
Give me your top 5 or 10 euro"games", so i can laugh on your double standarts and shitty taste.