discord.me/5eg
youtube.com/watch?v=o0geIDWPl2I
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyJ34Nofx
pastebin.com/nzXtaD7k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for 3rd level fighter soloing 8 kobolds

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

Anybody have some good monster collections?
I've got Volo's, the Monster Manual, Tome of Beasts, and 5th Edition Foes.

5th Edition Foes in particular was amazing, I love the ecology section, it helped make adding the monsters into the world pretty smooth, since I know how they're supposed to live/act.

>good monster collections
>Tome of Beasts

I like the Void Dragon, at least, and things like the Dune Mimic were pretty cool. Why's it bad?

Newish player here. Let's say I'm a Rogue with a +3 Dex mod and the Burglar feat. I also have Sleight of Hand expertise.

What's my mod when picking locks? It's throwing me off a little

It's like the UA; there's some good stuff, but everything else is shit

My players are gonna be slummin' it with some smugglers soon.

I need some good smuggler nicknames.

I posted this in the previous thread just a little while ago, asking for critique/gutting/name calling.

Already stated suggestions:
>hit dice
>saves
>non-standard spell progression
I'm thinking 1d8 hit dice and Con/Int.

I was aiming to emulate Warlock casting but with arcane/int casting, which is why I didn't use the Ranger/Paladin/Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster path. Should I use spells known instead? Other suggestions?

Fair enough; there was a fair bit in there that didn't seem all that great. Which is like the UA, so yeah.

Sleight of Hand doesn't enter into this. Do you have Thieves' Tools proficiency? (Yes, since you took Burglar.) That's what you use to pick locks.

You add your Dex to your proficiency, which you can see by referring to your TOTAL CHARACTER LEVEL (not Rogue level). Since Burglar gave you Expertise in Thieves' Tools, your total lock-picking modifier is:

(PROF*2) + 3
It's seven if you're level 1-4, and nine if you're 5-8.

"Fingers"
"Brick"
"Whistler"

Lock picking is a thieves' tools check, which is a Dexterity check with your thieves' tools bonus. Since you're a rogue and should have proficiency with thieves' tools, Burglar gives you expertise with them, so your lock pick check is 1d20+7 if your proficiency is +2, or 1d20+9 if your proficiency is +3, and so on.

>Traps Revisited

>Trap UA
youtube.com/watch?v=o0geIDWPl2I

Slim Cognito

You don't need class levels to do this. I have superior genes compared to most people, and could kill 8-12 kobolds with a shield and longsword.

I may be running a side game if one of my players doesn't show up again soon. Everyone is goblins and their task is to survive the Underdark as a band of plucky goblins. I plan to kill them off frequently with cool things. I am having writers block with monsters, environments and traps though. What kind of shit is in the Underdark? Is the concept of the Underdark old and boring now?

I was there for the birth of this meme

To continue this,
>Find Familiar, and two other enchantment/illusion, probably charm person or disguise self or tasha's hideous laughter.

Find Familiar is pretty great.

What other options are good suggestions while I continue reading through them?

>be DM
>send party to hell
>fight a chain devil
>the one guy that knows about my fetish calls magical realm
>I was just trying to find a fiend that could fight the whole party at once

you guys know that feel, right?

...right?

You're weird user.

Only one of my players knows my fetishes and that's because we used to sleep together. We still do, but we used to, too.

So no, sorry. You're on your own, friend.

>chain devil
>fetish

That's odd. Tell us about your magical realm.

ok Mitch Hedburg

>start at level 5
>STILL CAN'T AFFORD FUCKING FULL PLATE

BULLSHIT

How does one reliably keep a horse safe if they have to leave it behind to delve into dungeons? I'm becoming paranoid that bad things will happen to this horse if we're not with it and the wagon.

That's what The Help is for. Get hirelings.

a drunk duergar

a couple of drow who demand the goblins dance for their entertainment, or else

some svirfneblin prospectors arguing over their shares of the mine contract

a mind flayer who decides the goblins' brains aren't worth the effort of eating if they act dumb enough

a good adventuring party on their last legs after an encounter with a purple worm

kobolds eating something that smells really good

Cloakers, Ropers, Grimlocks,

just some thoughts, obviously quantity over quality

like, extremely mild bondage. He just latched onto the "chain" part.
He may have also been mad because everybody else made their saves and only he got grappled.

cry more

Should have just said you wanted to feel like Hellraiser.

Train your horse to kill.

Well, just ignore it. Or prepare witty comebacks for such cases.

Boohoo
My cleric couldn't even equip it if I found some

>Extremely mild bondage
>Chain
Either you or your player are vanilla af

That might work if I can afford to have them around so much.
I could try but I can't be certain of any success at it, and then there is the matter of the wagon possibly getting in the way of it defending itself. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

What is your class?

There are several spells available that would allow you to leave some kind of familiar or effect behind to at least warn you about danger. There are also wards.

Silent Image and Disguise Self can be very good depending on campaign and DM. Sleep is good at low levels, you can swap it out later for something with more staying power. Consider taking Minor Illusion instead of one of Booming/Greenflame. It can be immensely useful, again depending on campaign and DM.

definitely both, but him just a little bit more.

I'm gonna need some context.

For my files.

Level 3 Paladin.

So there's a billion guides out there for writing your first adventure, introducing the party members, building your first dungeon, etc..

How do you turn that first adventure into a longer campaign that lasts more than a couple of sessions, without just making your campaign a series of one-off goblin nests?

Use the archive

>Friend knows I like boyish girls and have a thing for reverse traps/stories where a woman has to disguise herself as a man for any reason
>Laughs whenever I introduce an even vaguely masculine woman as a PC or NPC

Don't take the horse with you to the dungeon?

usually some kind of Macguffin in pieces that the party has to go to each place to find a part of. Or they chase the villain across a bunch of different areas. Or (my favorite) the repercussions of a previous adventure forces the party into a new one.
The best part of the last one is that it gets easier to cherry pick new plot devices the longer the campaigns have gone on.

I don't understand what you need help with. Obviously the next step is to expand the scope of the world and introduce an overarching plot

The standard way most adventures and DMs handle it is by creating an on-going problem or a villainous scheme that advances over time which the party is intended to stop, and they drop hints to this or have questgivers steer the party towards it.

Fuck that. Players go along with that shit because "that's what the campaign is." You want to make them really care?
WRONG THEM.

Some entity has to screw the party over. This should not take the form of "beating the party up and leaving", nor should it be the BBEG in the flesh. You either kidnap or murder an NPC they like, have said NPC turn out to be a shithead, deny them a promised reward, set them up to take a fatal or judicial fall, or steal from them.

Heed these words: if you steal magic items from the party and allow them to know who did it, they will move heaven and fucking earth to find and murder that asshole. A lich could be destroying the kingdom right now, but if some random bandit stole their +1 dagger they weren't even using from the inn room at night, or nicked their wagon while they were in a cave, they will drop literally everything else and chase down this asshole. Nope, sorry ma'am, can't help you with your undead problem--we need to get our worthless knife back.

What weapon should I use for a Long Death Monk?

I feel like I might as well just use my fists and carry some darts or something since it's just as damaging as a weapon.

I could do that but I'd have to see how expensive keeping the horse and wagon in town would be and hope no one decides to steal either.

>investigating a shop whose rightful owner had their lease stolen by the arch-enemy of our artificer
>party tank talks to the hired help inside but she won't let him speak to the manager
>gets increasingly frustrated and starts yelling at her
>she calls for security to give him the boot
>tank stalks her back to her home, spies on her for a day
>the rest of us are off investigating and resting
>he's staring through this woman's windows and framing her for an affair with a bad guy
>"Does she have any children?"
>trying to ruin this random NPC woman's marriage and family because she couldn't magically summon the manager to the store

I really wish we got more than just the one extra cantrip later on.

and I was looking for something besides the enchantment and illusion spells to get.

If you're playing the kind of campaign/with the kind of DM who would make those situations something that happens, it seems like your playing in a pretty "hardcore" setting.

I'm not exactly sure of everything that is available, but I know a 3rd level paladin doesn't have a lot of options. You may just have to deal with it. The best solution is either getting a mount that can defend itself, waiting to take the kind of spells I was talking about (if you can), purchasing scrolls for those kinds of spells, finding or making the appropriate magic items (see DMG for rules), hiring NPC help (see DMG for rules), or relying on your fellow party members.

Regardless, you aren't getting it for free, or easily. Especially not at 3rd level.

>Introduce an aggressive, muscular woman NPC
>Female player's female PC immediately starts hitting on her
It actually ended up being quite the sweet romance.

Git gud faggot, I have a giantess fetish and I'm running SKT

Anyone want to compare character sheets?

Post the sheet of the last character that you played as in an actual session, see how they stack up.

Just like real life

I don't really know how "hardcore" things are but it's not very light I think. I was coming to much the same conclusion on the matter myself but I thought I'd ask in case there were things I hadn't considered. Anyway, thank you and all the others that have made suggestions.

Absorb Elements is a decent survivability boost. Resistance to a dragon's breath or a fireball can save your life. The damage boost next round is a nice kicker

Man, the only romance my groups have had are a Barbarian and his completely non-magical and inanimate axe, and our Paladin marrying a particle collider AI.

Thoughts on what are good herbivores for subterranean caverns? I was thinking about rothes and aurochs roaming fungal forests.

1. Start your players with a one-off quest, perhaps to explain how their motley crew got together.
2. Follow up that quest with a somewhat longer, beefier, more substantial quest that's almost certainly going to take a few sessions to resolve.
3. When the quest is about to resolve, something either goes disasterously wrong or their employer double-crosses them, and the party must find a way to cope and regain lost ground.

The third step becomes their "Call to adventure." Especially if there's someone specifically involved who screwed them over. They bend heaven and earth to kill that bastard.

Shit son, you runnin that sick Rouge?

absolute bonkers ability scores, thats for sure. Why is it always the rogues who roll so well?

>not killing the king's knight after he sends you a message to save the townsfolk
Are you even an adventurer?

How the fuck are your ASIs so high at level 4? Did you roll for them or something?

Hexblade PAM with quarterstaff + shield with 1 level in fighter for heavy armor and dueling fighting style, good or no?

I'd say giant snails, slugs, caterpillars, that kind of thing, but downplay the gross aspect of them and play up the "holy shit there's a big ass snail munching some fungus over there" type thing.
Then have them meet a hermit who's domesticated the snails and has dozens of baby ones crawling all over him and his house and he doesn't give a fuck at all.

>Why is it always the rogues who roll so well?

Slight of hand.

I want to hear about this paladin and particle collider.

Our campaign was quite notable for various subplots, including romantic ones. Our barbarian hooked up with two women. The first was a 17-year-old crushing on him hardcore, and who's heart he broke. (Aforementioned female player's female PC ended up seducing her as well). The second he had feelings for but felt obligated to leave before the final battle.

Hell yeah I'm running that bad motherfucker.

I actually didn't mean to make it so good, it's my first time doing a Rogue, and it's a pirate campaign, so I went with Swashbuckler when I had the chance. When I saw my +8 AC I realized "Holy shit I need to get the Alert feat," and when Level 4 hit, I got it. +13 is insane.

I almost lost it, though, when I got extremely cocky and thought I became too OP to be threatened.

Turns out 2d6+1d4+1d8 damage every round is trash when you can't beat the AC of a Goro-like creature who chomps into your brain and gives you Locked-in Syndrome until you get Lesser Restoration.

Yeah, it was rolling. In front of the people, so they freaked out hard. I swear those d6s traded in good rolls there for meh rolls here, rolled an hour later.

Mate, he's laughing at you, you spelled Rogue wrong on your sheet

Rate my Warlord homebrew, /5eg/.

I know I'm inviting ridicule and churlish hate, but I worked pretty hard on it and if even one person likes it, it will have been worth it.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyJ34Nofx

Our gnome Bard once hired two Thri-Kreen hookers and gave them some mushrooms he'd gotten from a wizard. They wound up going psycho and eating each other bath-salts style.

We left town early that night.

>steal some random documents we didn't even bother to read from some mercs
>they steal it back
>end up setting their HQ in the city on fire, then blowing it up
>didn't get the documents back

So Veeky Forums, Arctic Circle Druid Lvl 8 with 16 Wis. Do I improve that Wis or get Elemental Adept (Cold) because I have a feeling we might end up fighting demons soon...

>Looking at weapon options for a Monk
>Daggers count as Monk Weapons (But not as Ranged Weapons for Sharpshooter)
>Darts count as Ranged Weapons for Sharpshooter (But not Monk Weapons)

Anyone like reading backstories?
I'm making the a complete cancer character (divination wizard, lucky feat) but challenged myself to make an interesting character out of it.

pastebin.com/nzXtaD7k

Wait, darts don't count?
Who the fuck uses darts besides Eastern monk motherfuckers and ninjas? The aztecs?

oh and its way too long, 4 pages

>Martial Arts
>Your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.

>Simple Melee Weapons

>Dagger is a Simple Melee Weapon
>Dart is a Simple Ranged Weapon
>Are otherwise identical, (Including ranges)

Setting was revealed to be post-apocalyptic, axis-tilted Earth many sessions in when the party tracked the BBEG's henchmen to a mountain cavern they were excavating which held a pre-apocalypse facility. Met a neurotic golem that tagged along with us and talked about grain a lot and dispensed (radioactive) healing. It was the Svalbard seed bank and its sole surviving robot caretaker from our very near future. He had issues after somehow developing sentience and growing a robo-conscience over having "murdered" his "dumb" robrothers and sisters for spare parts, because at least one of them had to keep the plants growing over the millennia.

Second such facility was a CERN-like base buried in the ice super-SACLA, Japan, haunted by several ghosts. One of them kept trying to kill the party by trying to trap them in rooms with weird gremlin-like things and golems, bury them in collapses, and blowing them up with strange magic. The other tried to steer them around the first ghost's traps. It was the crazed and more powerful facility AI vs. the sane particle collider and XFEL operations AI. After killing the first ghost, the party dug an old golem body out of storage and helped the second ghost possess it. It travelled around with the party and interpreted the capabilities of the BBEG's metal beasts for them. "She" had a cheery demeanor and hit it off with the Ancients Paladin who was all about light and life and looking on the bright side of things, and they got hitched later on.

>ass combat
>traps
I just literally can't even

>it's a full class
...I'll read it later.

I'd only use a shillelagh Hexblade for a Paladin that is going to at least level 6/7 with Oathbreaker. +5 to all saving throws for you and nearby friends is about the best use.

If you're investing in Hexblade you should be using the smiting greatsword.

Any ideas for alternative ammunition fired from a giant slingshot? Currently working on some Bolas cause just firing off lead shot starts to get boring.

live rodents

People? Cows?

Hot.

I'd appreciate it. It's like the 6th iteration - I believe it's actually fairly balanced, unlike most of the shite we get here.

I'd talk it over with your DM. Unless the designers were specifically trying to keep Monks from taking Sharpshooter it seems like a bullshit oversight.

Trying to plan ahead in my campaign, my party's about to hit their first "Proper" dungeon, in the form of an expedition through the sewers of the capital city in search of a rebel hideout. Fairly standard stuff, but the next dungeon I have on the books, sometime later, is a magical library that's sunken beneath the waves. That's two water-ish, submerged/underground dungeons too close together IMO, though the sewers won't really play into the water theme too much I suppose. I need a dungeon in between to break up having two "Too" similar dungeons together, if only for my own health.

Here's the flow of the story, if it helps anyone help me:

Party hired to find some dangerous rebels --> SEWER DUNGEON --> Finds dangerous rebels, man held hostage; man asks them to find his daughter --> party follows clues to another city where the daughter might be --> they meet up, she guides them to a witch who can aid their ongoing quest --> witch directs them to the sunken library --> LIBRARY DUNGEON

Somewhere in there they're going to ride an airship that gets hijacked, but that'll take the form of a mini-dungeon as they move about the ship's compartments. I'd like to stick a proper dungeon in there somewhere, maybe with the daughter being kidnapped? Or to get to the witch (who lives in a swamp)?

I'm not looking for anything in particular, just a good "Level 2" between levels 1 and 3, not underground or watery.

Rotting livestock that explode into clouds of poisonous gas.

I'm reminded of this now.

>the party will go here and do this and find this and talk to this guy and want to do this and go here and do this other thing and do this here and then this thing here
You're gonna get about two steps in there before the party decides they want to head to the big village 50 miles that way and shop.

Okay, how giant are we talking here?

Jimmy Two-Legs

Sorry should have been more clear, its bazooka sized

In general, yes, but my guys are pretty good about following the breadcrumbs I leave them, which I tend to repay by letting them take cool detours when they want.

In any case, I'm not going to actively map out the dungeon until they get there, I just want some ideas to brainstorm in the between time.

Cursed magical barrels