MTG Commander/EDH General

Legendary Ancient OP Edition

Last Time on /edh/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Topic:
>Which dickass commander do you run and tentatively justify with terrible excuses?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/536000
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fresh-static-snow/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-marchesa-long-may-she-reign-control/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-e-a-r-e-f-a-m-i-l-y/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-i-s-s-f-r-o-m-a-r-o-s-e/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to use Recruiter of the Guard really bad. I'm trying to stay out of Simic colors, so what's a good general for using RotG? Zurgo Hellmsmasher? Alesha?

Reaper King

But nah, it's probably strong in Alesha given the theme.

Put it in new Avacyn and wreck shit with indestructible hasty fatties like Thunderbluss.

What is your favorite obscure commander (let's define obscure as having less than 50 decks on EDHREC)?

So them put it in Breya bomberman combo. Him, Trinket Mage, Imperial recruiter and all the black tutors make it trivial to find salvagers, LED, top, any spellbomb, walking Ballista etc. Consistent and strong combo which you can then dedicate almost the entirety of the rest of your deck to control.

Squee, Goblin Nabob!

So, /edhg/, how many decks did you put him in?

By that metric, none of mine are 'obscure'. The closest has like 75 decks.

Out of the 6 I have built, I think... 2, maybe 3? Usually goes in non-green decks.

It was just the first threshold that came to my hand, feel free to break it.

I mean, I'd say even if my COMMANDERS aren't obscure, I don't exactly build them in... conventional ways.

Kamahl at 76

Can you guys help me out with Rally the Ancestors?

If I cast it with a Nantuko Husk (or other creature sac outlet) in play, do the creatures still go into exile? Or, if they were bounced to my hand, shuffled in my deck etc.

What ya gonna do when the TREE taps at you?

>do the creatures still go into exile?
They don't. If they did, it would say something along the lines of "if they would leave the battlefield, exile them instead".
Since they moved to another zone, the effect loses track of them.

They don't. The effect doesn't set up an "also, if they would go somewhere else exile them" effect the way Unearth does. If they leave the battlefield prior to that trigger resolving, nothing 'weird' happens- they go to that zone as normal, and when the trigger resolves it can't find them, so it doesn't do anything to them.

1, in kaalia. I find he is really bad for G/B, as there are so many better options to get land and draw cards, plus the are better bodies I can use at the 4cmc range.

Yeah. It's a solid card, but the ramp isn't really worth the slot in decks that can tap Forests, and the card draw isn't really worth the slot in decks that have blue or black. I'd run it in a U/B deck for the ramp and consider the draw a nice upside, and vice versa for a G/R deck, for example.

Face it, you're a basic bitch.

Okay, that's what I figured. I just wanted to ask on an anonymous monolgian knitting online chat client rather than the people i know. You know, so i can show up with a new deck and they don't know what to expect for the first game

Probably! But I have fun, and that's what matters.

In the future you might wanna look for gA's threads if you have oddball questions

Gwendlyn Di Corci

Simple:
>politely place my cards on the table
>get up, take a brief walk around to calm my nerves
>maybe get a drink of water
>come back and motherfucking flip the table. Fuck you Mike, you and your t1 sol ring into t2 daxos, into my tree t3. You're a dick and you know it.

O fuck that's right. Forgot about that nigga

Braids, Cabal Minion. I guess it's cheating since she's banned.

POSTEM

>being this openly and unashamedly wrong.
They're mono colored. They're in WUBRG order, they're wearing clothes in their color. It's the most obvious art direction wizards has made in a long time and it's still being confused by fucking autists.

>an user with a classy G/W list
Neat. I need help building Gaddock Teeg, but I haven't build G/W before. Any tips?

Z-daddy

This big guy (55 Decks).

The fuck? Why would you build a deck with Vorinclex as a commander? That sounds like a horribly suicidal idea.

What are you talking about? What makes it suicidal?
Maybe it's suicidal in the sense that everyone will focus you, I can give you that...

H A L F D A N E

No but for real he's actually really fun.

What do you want the deck to be? Tokens? Hatebears? Combo? Valuetown midrange?

I'd love to help.

>Maybe it's suicidal in the sense that everyone will focus you, I can give you that...
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The other obvious issue is that Vorinclex isn't really "build around". You don't get synergistic stax effects, and in the best case scenario, you use him to ramp really hard and then what? Play something game winning/better? In the worst case scenario, you drop him, someone nukes him, and wastes 2 mana doing so.

I say this as someone who really wanted to build him. I just couldn't think of any way it's better than simply running a smaller value-enabler commander, than fishing Vorinclex.

Thanks user!

I'd really like to build valuetown midrange. I have a ton of giant green cards I desperately want to throw in, but wont, and I know hatebears is optimal, but I have no idea how hatebears actually wins.

Ideally, I'd like something fast, reliable, consistent, and efficient, but I know that's pretty lofty. I'd settle for something with half-decent early game.

It used to be Godo before his C16 reprint but now it's Starke

Vorinclex doesn't really do anything that wouldn't be done better by Azusa or Omnath.
Big Green Dickings need a big green jumpstart.

I am a dirty casual, so instead of ultra optimized, the deck is more a tangle/Vorinclex theme Deck, with cards like the slagworms from the tangle, chancellor of the tangle, creeping corrosion, liege of the tangle, triumph of the horde and all forest are the panorama forests from Scars.

I just liked the card and flavor, so I made him my commander and build a theme deck around him. I dont really care about optimizing to the maximum, but I see ofc why is worse then Omnath etc

>I am a dirty casual
>yet I vorthos'd the fuck out
You aren't casual user, you just have different priorities. I'm one of those guys who loves turning decks into functional monstrosities that punch above their weight class. You're one of those anons that likes fancy pictures and cohesive land pictures.

Both are equally good, I'm pretty jealous of your flavour. Does it actually win? How does it play?

Just missed the cutoff at 51 decks.

Normally Ramp into ramp into ramp into something mana doubling (Vorinclex, Regal Behemoth, zendikar resurgent, caged sun, shrine of nyx), into overhelming stampede or Triumph of the hordes. For protection ascetism or archetype, and of course green removal. Some cards for the flavor, Like the Worms or creeping corrosion. Gets ofc alot of hate, but because of all the mana doubling it often draws a ton of cards and slaps down a bunch of fatties in one turn.

Hey can I get some feedback on this deck? My shop has a pretty competitive commander playgroup and I was wondering if it was even possible to make a competitive surrak deck. Should I just go the value town maelstrom wanderer route instead if I wanna play rug? I mostly play 60 card formats so I don't really know what's good in commander

Deck here mtggoldfish.com/deck/536000

REAL POST 'EM HOURS

Raksha, Golden Cub. 25 decks.

Post Thromok list pls

Post Wort too please.

Gotta get my tokens flowing.

>mtggoldfish.com/deck/536000
Holy shit user, I'm stumped. Never in my life have I seen a more haphazardly thrown together pile of expensive jank. It's actually impressive how expensively terrible your deck is.

My advice? Build Maelstrom. Unless you REALLY focus on ramping and dropping fatties, Maelstrom is both better and cheaper to build. Throw in things like Brutalizer Exarch, Mwonvuli Beast Tracker, Cached Dreams, and Brainstorm to goldfish your RNG, and focus on game winning things. RUG is awesome at ramping, so you don't really need farseek. I usually run things like Harrow and Explosive Vegetation that drop multiple basics onto the battlefield at once, in order to amp up your efficiency. Mana rocks are also tits. I personally recommend Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, Worn Powerstone, but prioritize rocks that get you multiple mana at one time. In my Maelstrom, I threw in things like Arcanis the Omnipotent, various overrun effects like overwhelming stampede and triumph of the hordes, and my personal favorite bullshit card, Sensei's Divining Top.

I don't really like the Kiora you're running, or Caller of Beast. I like Crashing Wave, because it really lays the smack down on unsuspecting fools. Finally, try to fit Feldon of the Third Path, and Giant Adephage in there, and I'm a fan of damage doublers, but that's up to you.

>>Which dickass commander do you run and tentatively justify with terrible excuses?
Gwafa Hazid. Because fuck you for using 30% proxies

Also, Grip of Phyresis. That is a fancy fucking card that will butcher certain cut-throat players.

I'm going to do a Zurgo deck with tokens. I don't like Voltron, so I'mma try to come up with something that works.

Hatebears wins by making life difficult for every other player you play mainly many small creatures to fuck up the opponents game plan. You start with some of the best ones: teeg, who is the commander, Thalia 1,Thalia 2, Leonin arbiter, aven mindcensor, lodestone Golem, Hokori, etc. You make the game slow by making every other deck much more ineffective and inefficient than it was designed to be.

Valuetown midrange can be fine, but with teeg as commander you might not be able to do the things you want to do or even be able to have a backup plan in the form of wraths/Planeswalkers etc. You will however be able to power have creatures like anafenza, kitchen finks, Eternal witness, Thragtusk to keep pressure on the opponents. Cards like ligecrafters beastiary and zendikar resurgent go great in this kind of deck as well as many others
Taking these cards and combining them with Sac outlets like the altars you can get the next section:

Combos. Using Sac outlets to abuse things like anafenza, Cathar's Crusade etc allows you to play a midrange game with combo potential. You can also use creatures that Reanimate cards for combos as well as just value. Saffi, karmic Guide, Revilark, sun titian, renegade rallier, and Felidar guardian are all excellent for combo as well as just being great creatures.

Thing is, regardless of what build you're going with it is going to have every mana dork in the colors(Mystic, Fyndhorn, Llanowar, BOP, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Arbor Elf, and treespeaker). In addition you are going to have at the very least a rudimentary Stoneforge Mystic package (jitte, Darksteel plate, Skullclamp, and your choice of 2-3 swords.)

There is aslo a captian sisay paradox engine combo deck that is sweet.

Is there a way to make Breya fun and less autistic? I've been brewing around it but all I see is spiky combo everywhere. Can I make an artifact reanimator out of it?

One at the moment

Guys...what the fuck is Rashmi's win-con?

I only have one deck (Emrakul) So...one.

Also requesting a thromok list. After an user posted a story a few threads ago about a total table kill he did in one turn, attacking, warstorm surging and milling a gigantic thromok, I've been itching to build him.

Same as cascade, play big spells, to cheat out just as big spells.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fresh-static-snow/

I've never tried stax before; am I doing it wrong?

Maybe you shouldn't put cards that trigger you so much in your deck

I'm looking for this one comic and I can't find it anywhere. It's about trading and how casual players are always attracted to the random garbage chaff in someone's binder. Can anyone post it?

Norin; Scrambleverse is "fun"

Meant to reply to OP

Laboratory maniac.

You can do whatever you want duder. Combo isn't autistic of you're not autistic about it. It's like playing ghave and not putting a combo in. It's difficult.

To your statement about reanimator, of course. There's an actual load of good reanimator targets and enablers. Targets: inkwell, gearhulks, Kuldotha forgemaster, myr Battlesphere, fucking anything.
Your Planeswalker suite is perfect for this purpose. Daretti, Nahiri 2, Dack, Saheeli, which directly support the gameplan. As well as Valuetown walkers that are just all around excellent: tezz 1+2, Daretti 2, teferi, Kaya, Ob Nixilis 2.

You have Faithless Looting, cathartic reunion, tormenting voice, careful study, thought scour, izzet charm, fact or fiction.

The deck really builds itself.

yes I am a literal autismo

Craterhoof

Or you just go into 5 extra turns to make your opponents give up.

>Labman
But the deck can't even run Doomsday, so what's the point?

She and her expsensive big brother work well in voltron decks for tutoring all the equipment utility creatures

You have Enter the Infinite though. Just gotta bring out Priest of Titania early enough

Alright /edh/ what should I do:

>Finish one of the decks listed on the right in here (They're all around 20-40 cards done not counting lands)
>Start building Gwafa Hazid for controll fuckery
>Grab the Planechase Anthology so I can have a lot of fun cards to fuck around with the deck contents and possibly turn Mina Denn into Thromok

>being this literal bad at magic.
Future sight/magus, Top, etherium Sculptor/helm
Backup of teferi, a billion counters and board control.
Also monolith/power artifact/Thrasios
Also high tide/brain freeze.

But that's 4 times more mana!

What's the best mana rock options for BUG?

I know all of those interactions. It's just that why play good strategy x when you can execute it better

T1: Sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, Grim monolith, Mox diamond, Chrome mox.
T2: all signets, Gilded Lotus
T3: fellwar stone, mind stone, than dynamo
T4: worn powerstone, diamonds, medallions, keyrunes

I was asked for wincons. Of course black with doomsday and better tutors will be better. But the ones I listed are the most mana efficient, compact, and reliable ones in the colors/for the general.

What are your favorite tech Mimeoplasm targets? I was thinking a building a deck and was curious what weird creatures you folks use.

Queen Marchesa Control (as the name suggests)

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/queen-marchesa-long-may-she-reign-control/

Currently trying a build where Phyrexian Arena is an Aetherflux Reservoir.

Sire of Stagnation, Oona, Torrent Elemental, Moldgraf Monstrosity, and Avatar of Woe. A severely underrated creature is Gemini Engine

>Gemini Engine
How is that a good choice

I want to build a Chainer, Master of Dementia deck. Is there any must includes other than the obvious stuff like sol ring? Like I was wondering if there is a way to make my opponents creatures nightmares without using Chainer?

Well, maybe not for Mimeoplasm reanimator bu-

>mimeoplasm exiles death's shadow and Gemini engine
>then swings for 32 damage
>let alone overwhelming stampede/pathbreaker ibex
>let alone actually buffing the stupid thing

Fair enough user.

>reanimate mimeoplasm as gemini engine
>every swing makes a token of "mimeoplasm" with the P/T of it

Shouldn't need to explain it

The P/T as it exists in layer 1.

So you get an extra 3 damage. Wow.

I think that Gemini Engine is pretty neat card especially with any buffs, but honestly, it's pretty bad card. It's like Grave Titan but worse at same mana cost, but the cool thing at least is that if you have for example 3 swords attached to that fucker, the token enters as 9/10 creature, but that's about it.

I bought a foil of that fucker, but I just can't justify running it in any deck.

Oh I know that deck. I still beat it and killed everyone else with an out-of-the-box Prossh

Wrong. This particular card makes the token that checks the P/T as it's created and isn't dependant on the current P/T of the original after it's created.
So gemini engine with 13 counters on it attacking makes a 16/17 token.

For some reason I was thinking it made an exact copy, I'm sorry. Yeah, that'd explain why I thought it was so much worse.

>Karn
>Brother's war
y tho

That you did, we can play again on Wednesday, don't worry.

My friend killed my Tasigur in response to me activating the ability, he said that the ability didn't happen because of that.

>Was he right?

Well, technically it does make an exact copy. I just wish it would get all the abilities of the first one as well that are given by outside sources. That could probably be broken though.

No. The ability still exists on the stack even if the source does not

Why am I such a filthy fucking casual and only build commanders from precons and obvious format bait?

>mfw realizing I spelt the second "choo" wrong for Slobad

I MUST FIX IT

I'll probably lose hard, I got lucky you didn't wreck my face with Strip Mine

There was no reason to blow up all of your lands, turn by turn. Had other things to worry about.

No. Abilities will happen when they trigger or are activated regardless if their source is gone at any point, unless the source has to be there, such as with Gilded Drake, or if the ability targets and the target is removed or illegal when the ability wants to resolve, then the ability will be countered when it tries to resolve.

Keep in mind, abilities are separate from their source.

If abilities on the stack depended on their source existing, Mogg Fanatic would be a very bad card.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-e-a-r-e-f-a-m-i-l-y/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/k-i-s-s-f-r-o-m-a-r-o-s-e/
Might want to build a third that aren't just counters-centric. Any suggestions?

I got a situation/question similar to this:

>playan RG Wort
>cast Harrow, it has Conspire, tap down Saprolings for copy
>in response, friend taps Visara to blow up Wort
>friend now arguing that spell no longer has Conspire, can't tap Saprolings, copy of spell doesn't exist, etc

Was he right? I'm leaning toward yes

By the time your friend has priority -to- respond, you've finished casting your spell, including paying the Conspire cost, and the Conspire trigger is on the stack. Destroying Wort does literal actual nothing to stop that.

Magic is a game of priority, not reflexes. He can't jump in and nuke your Wort in the middle of your spellcast any more than you can say "Untapupkeepdrawplaylandattackfor10endturn" and then insist that it's too late for your opponent to respond because your turn is over.