Politics in Tabletop

How do politics in dnd, and how do I get my players involved?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!HZEQ2AZL!F1asY2YmYM8d74vTZHayDw
rawstory.com/2017/02/monday-pro-trump-rallies-a-massive-flop-as-event-photos-show-tiny-crowds/
youtube.com/watch?v=HpiT6RTlLYc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We're gonna build a wall around the town and make the Orcs pay for it.

D&D doesn't really do politics well because the nature of PC class characters and magic is such that, generally speaking, their very existence breaks the idea of almost every political system that ever existed in the real world.

The only form of government that really makes sense in D&D is a Mage Oligarchy or some kind of Autocracy run by a God-King who's really just a high level wizard or bard or cleric. Or maybe he's actually a god.

For games with strong political themes you either need a very disciplined group who can suspend their disbelief (not bad things at all, in fact D&D groups tend to be pretty good at this once they've been playing together for a while) or you need to play a game whose mechanics support that sort of thing.

Personally my favorite games for this sort of thing are Cyberpunk 2020 and The Riddle of Steel, but obviously you can make it work with GURPS, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020, etc.

As for getting the players involved, it helps for them to have something to latch on to. It has to be something understandable to them, not everyone is a polsci major. It also helps a LOT if you're not doing modern politics. Modern politics are really depressing when you look under the hood, medieval politics just get cooler.

You'd probably pee on them.

>The only form of government that really makes sense in D&D is a Mage Oligarchy or some kind of Autocracy run by a God-King who's really just a high level wizard or bard or cleric. Or maybe he's actually a god.

Well, in 3.5. Not so much other editions. In 4e a Fighter could kick the shit out of said wizard if he's a comparable level.

That is probably true, I did not play 4.0. The point however is that the existence of magic that can influence people or do other powerful things does change fundamentally what kind of governments would be viable. If 4th edition limits magic down to a more manageable level then it would fall into the other type of game.

>implying a fighter would get to 1v1 an archmage for the leadership position
I don't think that's how it works.
But even accepting your point, this only means the autocracy may be run by a God-King who is the biggest baddest most lethal dude in the realm. Still nothing that you see IRL for anything bigger than a jungle tribe or bandit group.

>Still nothing that you see IRL for anything bigger than a jungle tribe or bandit group.
Right, but it's a pretty accepted trope for someone in a position of authority to be a tremendous badass. It's not like being a huge fucking nerd makes you an able ruler either.

It doesn't limit magic (Well, a bit. Rituals take time rather than a standard action) so much as it brings non-mages up tot he same level.

I mean what people can do in combat isn't really the point, it's how much that can help you run a country. Can you charm large numbers of people, force your viziers to tell the truth, essentially mind control your own bodyguards so that they can't possibly betray you, etc. The ability to like physically beat the shit out of your enemies whether it's with magic or with a sword isn't what breaks D&D from a political perspective, it's the far-reaching powers that magic would give someone in government.

If you really feel like you have to quantify a form of government Pathfinder feels the need to make mechanics for pretty much everything under the sun. You can take inspiration from that or just play it

politics don't belong at the table any more than you belong out of /pol/

>monarch
>WE MUST OVERTHROW HIM TO ESTABLISH DEMOCRACY
>innocents killed, lives wasted and shit tons of destruction later democracy established
>Wait what do I do now I didn't have a plan for the government after the bloody and ideological revolution I just staged
Every.
Fucking.
Time.

political intrigue is one of the best things out there, its too bad 90% of GMs just fail to do it right.

I'd vote for it

Play a system that works well for it:

mega.nz/#F!HZEQ2AZL!F1asY2YmYM8d74vTZHayDw

Wat

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, OP. What kind of game are you trying to run here and what part of the political process are you looking to play? For example, I can see players going on a campaign trail from town to town helping townsfolk with the sole agenda of getting voted and climbing the political ladder. That isn't too far from the standard DND game, just that now you have a bit more at stake than just the next piece of loot from the dungeon.

Now if you want to focus on political wheelings and dealings a la Game of Thrones, there is very little mechanically within DND that supports that. You might find something in a third party splat book for 3.5 and that can be repurposed for Pathfinder, but nothing from the Wizards for either 3.5, 4e or 5e. At that point you should be looking at other systems though which ones I don't know. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction for that.

That's not how it works, user.
Usually the one on the top will be the one who has the loyalty of the biggest, baddest dudes.
Often the biggest, baddest dudes don't want into politics (or can't because they're not fit into it and get just used by better players), they just want to keep being big and bad, and loot ancient dungeons.

Thus i make them loose every time my players do that shit.

>Start and win democratic revolution.
>Powerfull merchants overthrow you to install an oligarchy hiding behind democracy.

I suspect that OP, being the faggot he is, isn't going to do "political intrigue," he's going to "modern politics equivalent of Monty Python references."

>(((powerful merchants)))
Oy vey

>America isn't a thing that exists
>The problem is the Republic itself, not the fact that literally everyone around it tries to destroy it multiple times until it's suppressed for about 4 decades when everyone suddenly agrees Republics are kind of okay and these Republics and faux-monarchies start outshining the conservative/'real' monarchies like the sun outshines a candle
t. Reactionary

>supporting anything post-enlightenment

>There are people who actually, unironically believe Louis XVI did nothing wrong

Bizarrely, Aberrant Worldwide Phase 1 has an ENTIRE module about winning a presidential election.

sheltered baby pls go.

But enough about history, let's talk about politics in D&D.

>in a big elective monarchy king just died with no son
>one of the competitors to the throne is an adult red dragon
Maybe your party is brave enough to kill a dragon - but can they stop it from rising to power?

>Libcuck sees Trump image
>gets triggered

every time

Fuck that, he's a dragon, he gets my vote.

You create an chaotic evil dictator known as "Drumpf". Drumpf got his army of drumpfkins which are corrupted subhumans who got snow white skin and about the intellect of an orc.

Your party is a rag tag team of brave diverse individuals out to kill drumpf and end his evil reign.

>using mspaint comics as arguments.

>king just died with no son
As a guy coming from a country that had elective monarchy - yes, and?
In elective monarchy you pick any condidate you like, not from specific dynasty. Being a son or in any way related with currently residing son won't guarantee shit. In fact, son of the the guy who get into throne by his sheer popularity was completely ousted by next election. And the previous king was a completele bumpkin who happend to be a son of regional lord and was elected into kingship due to how easy it was to manipulate him.
Not to mention the first elected king turned out to be a guy who promised a lot, but did nothing. Fortunately, he abdicated himself two years later, since there was a chance to grab French throne instead.

>using /pol/ and then posting outside of it

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting m8.

>Not even American daytime hours yet
>Posting Trump
>Amazed people get triggered
How long /pol/ is going to wank with new US president?

Then what are you doing here? Have you actually though what the fuck are you posting now? Or just opened the sentence assembler to get a reply?

>liberal magical realm

You are the one bitching about /pol/ and fucking up the discussion about how to incorporate politics to a game.

You really must try harder, /pol/

Not everyone disagreeing with your rampant shitposting is from /pol/.
Just because Trump is the OP picture, doesn't mean that you can just come in a shit all over the discussion taking place, you massive fucking cunt.

Maybe you didn't notice, but there is no discussion here. Either blatant /pol/ posting or people taking bait OR counter-/pol/ posting.

But hey, let's shitpost some more! That totally is keeping up the "discussion" you are having in your fucking head.

Seriously, what the fuck? It's like this user said. It's still not daytime in States. And it's already too late fo Australia.
Why the fuck this thread even exists then?

Lately the /pol/cucks and the orange loser lovers are polluting this board, trying to normalize a massive failure (like their own lives).
Go back to /pol/ with this crap to plan a tiny rally for the tiny-fingered!
rawstory.com/2017/02/monday-pro-trump-rallies-a-massive-flop-as-event-photos-show-tiny-crowds/

Matt collville does a video series on running dnd, which I've mined for information.

One of the episodes talks about creating an interesting political situation in your game. He specifically talks about creating a central tension which drives much of the conflicts in the setting. He suggests using the american civil war, or the cold war, or really all sorts of scenarios from history as inspiration.

It's worth a watch.

Why every time I read /pol/tards I feel they are either extremely ironic about themselves, or suffer from complete lack any self-awarness

Except there is, or at least was, before you started shitting up the thread.
You made this thread about /pol/.

>everyone I disagree with is from /pol/.

Just because it looks like a nigger and is stealing your shit, doesn't mean it's a nigger, right?

Fuck off, /pol/tard.

>An American internet nobody suggest adding more noninteresting American "history" to your setting
Thanks, but I'll pass on such advice. Average court intrigue is more engaging than ripping off American "history".

>I-it's you shitting up the thread
Just for reminder, this is my post Eat a bullet. Or just crawl back under the rock.
And yeah, everyone who is so fucked up to make thread like this is from /pol/. That's a fucking given.

Thanks, I'll try to check it out.

kek
It would help if you didn't fuck up his name.

Matthew Colville

>/pol/lack makes a thread
>IT'S YOUR FAULT THIS IS /POL/!
Why the alt-right is even more stupid than average right when looking for enemies?

>And yeah, everyone who is so fucked up to make thread like this is from /pol/. That's a fucking given.

Baseless assertion.

Also, your post is blatant shitposting.
Fuck, every thread should start with a Trump picture, so you easily triggered morons would fuck off from this board.

You are not the board police. Nothing in the OP broke the rules, and the topic was completely Veeky Forums related.
And I am not even the Op.
I was interested in talking about incorporating politics to games, but you decided to shit up the thread because of the OP picture.

>everyone I don't like is from /pol/.

>How do I insert politics into a game about dungeon crawling
You don't.
But how could you know, if you never played, just trying to do "ironic" post on Veeky Forums?

My bad.

Here is the video in question
youtube.com/watch?v=HpiT6RTlLYc

>Fuck, every thread should start with a Trump picture, so you easily triggered morons would fuck off from this board.
Thanks, we already have board for that. It's called /pol/.
Where you rightfully belong with your cyclical logic and blasted ass.

>everyone I don't like is from /pol/.

Again, why do you get so mad about a fucking trump picture?
I'm not a murrican, and I don't give two shits about who rules there. Help me understand what motivates you to shit up a thread because it has Trump in it's OP.

This thread was started when it was evening in States. People just kept it bumped long enough to not get archived

Because it doesn't belong here.
The question by OP doesn't belong here.
This is Veeky Forums. A board about "traditional games". If you want play political game, you play Diplomacy. Not D&D. Any fucking person on this fucking board knows that.
Which means this is blatant /pol/ posting and you are seriously trying to pretend otherwise.

And this thread was fucking dead anyway,. the only thing keeping it going is our argument right now. Otherwise, it would be already page 7. I've checked that already.

Get players who are interested in politics, and write a premise which enables their characters to be involved.

Don't try to force politics onto people who aren't politically inclined. At best you will have them drag along behind the more interested players until they quit out of disinterest, at worst you will create antagonism and animosity between you and damage social relations. You can always go start your own group elsewhere.

>Every /poltard/ comes from /pol/
Here, ftfy

>You can always go start your own group elsewhere.
It doesn't work that way at all. You can TRY start new group elsewhere, but it's not guaranteed to succeed in any way.

It's more like a bunch of hippies sitting around smoling dope and trying to lead without understanding the world, then a man comes in with facts and actual evidence, and their worldview would crash unless they violently lash out at the reasonable man.

Why every single fucking /pol/ user is always amazed people don't like them outside their hugbox? What is this? Reality shock or something?

>Don't try to force politics onto people who aren't politically inclined.

I don't think the OP is talking about real life politics, but politics in a game setting, which of course should exist. The players might not involve themselves heavily in it if they're not interested in that sort of thing, but it should still exist.

You started it, you stupid fuck.

Why is it that the only argument you have is that the person disagreeing with you is from /pol/?

user, you are trying to hard.
Your primary bait fuckup was implying that politicking can't be done in an rpg, an idea that only has grounding in white room 3.PF games where any and all sensible limits, mechanical and GM, are done away with.

If only, man. If only. /pol/ is small, but /pol/ is only a symptom of a very common strain of utter retardation these days.

>other friends
>their social networks
>the FLGS crowd
>the bulletin board
>gamefinder threads
>the thousand+ online websites, forums and IRC channels dedicated to nerds playing D&D over the internet
If you're willing to DM starting a new group is only limited by how much you want it.

The same fucking rule applies, regardless if they are into real or fantasy politics. If they are playing a game to kill things, then let's make them a game about killing things. They want pirate adventure? Here is pirate adventure.
Forcing them to play something they don't want is the best way of antagonising people for no fucking reason. And inserting politics is literally on the same tier as magical realm. I don't know, you never heard that saying? Political believes are like dick - just because you happen to have one doesn't mean you need to wave them in front of everyone's face

Doesn't matter. beat me to it.

Candidate Drumpf the red dragon responded to accusations of mysogny earlier today. In response to eye witness accounts of Drumpf's kidnapping of the princess of the kingdom of Elia Drumpf said, "Look, this was a long time ago, like a hundred years, I'm not proud of it, but it's just dragon cave talk, certainly I'm not proud of it, It's just dragon cave talk..." Drumpf went on to speak about the orcish warband "Da Terror Boyz" claiming that the world is a chaotic evil place and finished with the following statement "No one has more respect for women than I do."

>All those assumptions
Try to assemble a new player group in a town with population of 800 people. Actual, real people you can sit with and play a game.
I dare you.
I double dare you.

But no person in such position would even try to alienate the only players at hand in the first place, so it's a non-issue for them. It's rather about you and your believe that there is in fact infinite supply of players and eventually you can bump on those that will fit you like a glove.

>Forcing them to play something they don't want
Stop reaching, user, you are torpedoing your own point with your foolishness.
You are trying to compare politics in a game with magical realm. You are seriously doing that.
You have eclipsed any /pol/tard in this thread with your retardation.

I agree.

The more nuance and verisimilitude a setting has, the more I enjoy roleplaying in it.

>Stop stating the obvious, because I can't stand reality
Not my problem, chump

If anyone really likes political intrigue I recommend checking out the ASOIAF rpg. It's very neat. You play as a house and try to advance in Westeros. In fact there is a way of playing where you have several different parties (houses) like the Starks, Lannisters, Mormonts etc. and you can ally with NPC houses or PC houses and go to war and assassinate people and stuff. If I had all the money and time in the world I would organize a very elaborate ASOIAF campaign with competing houses and factions, multiple GM's.

>Missing the point this bad
It's about forcing people into playing the game they don't want to play. It doesn't matter if it's magical realm, politics or fucking Shadowrun with guys who wanted to play oldschool cyberpunk. It's just not the game they want to play. And if they don't want to play it, then there is no fucking way to "make them", because there are under no obligation to do so.
They came there to have fun, remember? Not indulging in what their GM considers fun for him or herself.

>Try to assemble a new player group in a town with population of 800 people. Actual, real people you can sit with and play a game.
I had one back when I lived in a town of just over 1,000. Sometimes it takes introducing new blood to the hobby.

>Actual, real people you can sit with and play a game.
If you're not willing to go online for it when you clearly have an internet connection, you didn't want it that badly. Thus "only limited by how much you want it".

>But no person in such position would even try to alienate the only players at hand in the first place, so it's a non-issue for them.
That's pretty optimistic of you.

>It's rather about you and your believe that there is in fact infinite supply of players and eventually you can bump on those that will fit you like a glove.
My belief is that there are thousands upon thousands of people out there who have been interested but have never had a group to join, newbies who would play if they could find someone to take on the responsibility of teaching them, or are between groups but don't want to take the step of hosting and running a game out of a desire to fill a player slot.

You're just being picky about your options and then pretending they don't exist. It's like when a teenager looks into his mother's fridge, sees all the ingredients to make something delicious, then whines that there's nothing to eat.

If anyone really likes political intrigue I recommend checking out Legends of the Five Rings.

It's a mess on the crunch side, but the idea itself is good. Shame the execution of it is so wobbly.

It's good for lifting ideas from but not ideal for playing yeah. I would love to have like 100 players divided into ~20 houses, each with their own GM communicating with other GM's. It could be a generic fantasy setting, Westeros, or Europe and they would try to compete for power. A bit like Crusader Kings 2.

>The Point
>2.8km
>Your Head
You'd be forcing a theme and tone your players neither asked for nor seemed interested in for your own personal enjoyment. The boner isn't what makes Magical Realm shit, it's the group of people who don't want to play with it.

>If you're not willing to go online for it when you clearly have an internet connection, you didn't want it that badly
Yes, because internet connection is going to create flesh and bone people at my table.
I want to play with human beings. This can not be substituted with anything. Not my fault you are not getting it.
It doesn't matter if the RPG scene of NY is bigger than entire scene of my country, because they are on the other hemisphere. You are purposefully neglecting the part where those pople need to sit at your fucking table, just to pretend you didn't post utter bullshit and now you are digging yourself deeper.
To claim such bullshit like "playing with people means you are picky". If that's the new definition of picky, you fucking need to check dictionary.

The thing you are looking for is tournament-style builder game.
Not exactly Veeky Forums stuff in a sense of tabletop game, but the guys from /builder/ usually post some of their games during summer to get fresh blood into their groups.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for sharing.

Neat, I'll check it out.

Who said that, user?
Where in OP's post does it say "I want to run a primarily political game whether the players want to or not!"?
OP ask how to engage the players in something more than murderhobo'ing, which usually ends up being a goal when playing D&D, and you have run clear off the deep end with screaming assertions.
Yes, you can run politics in D&D, it's simply a matter of establishing the world, culture, characters, and how the players interact with them. They need not even be involved with politics as you are thinking, but aligning yourself to a group to aid them against another is politics right there.
The mayor or council of a city meeting with the player party to discuss an objective or task they would like them to do? That is politics of a sort on it's own, especially if the party haggles over reward, more information, etc.
You are REEEEEE'ing to the wrong song.

Word of advice - if any of them will be named Baz or Bazrael, then it's an evil fuck looking for gullible allies to use and abuse.

>Yes, because internet connection is going to create flesh and bone people at my table.
Metaphorically. It's not like they're not human beings, the only imaginary thing is the table.

>I want to play with human beings. This can not be substituted with anything. Not my fault you are not getting it.
You would be. You're specifying that they _must_ be local and they _must_ be physically present is just you limiting your options. Again, teenager in the fridge. "There must be something ready to simply pull out, maybe microwave and then eat with no effort, otherwise mommy is neglecting me."

>It doesn't matter if the RPG scene of NY is bigger than entire scene of my country, because they are on the other hemisphere.
And yet, in this age where you could see and hear them through cameras, speakers and microphones in real time with only a few scant miliseconds of delay between you, or the fact that you don't even need to see or hear them to work a game as one can easily find text-only IRC campaigns all over the internet, you shut yourself down instead.

>You are purposefully neglecting the part where those pople need to sit at your fucking table, just to pretend you didn't post utter bullshit and now you are digging yourself deeper.
The fact that there are entire businesses dedicated to providing programs that let people play in online campaigns together proves there is no need. Only you whining because it wasn't your first choice.

>To claim such bullshit like "playing with people means you are picky". If that's the new definition of picky, you fucking need to check dictionary.
Iunno, pic related seems to be in effect here.

The fuck it has to do with OP, you fucking moron?
Were you even following the conversation at all?

You are literally arguing with yourself now. In your fucking head.

>Still trying
Which part of "you have a town of 800, assemble me a new player group" you didn't get the first time around to completely ignoring the given requirements and instead talk bullshit nobody cares about?
You MUST provide alive players to the table. That's literally the only requirement. If you can't do it, you fucking failed. It's that fucking simple.

Drumpf the red dragon and his running mate Pence the Protector of the unborn a cleric of the protection and fertility domains
Ted Cruz the half-orc american
Bernie Sanders is a gnomish druid who is popular because of some sort of grass or roots or something
Hillary is some sort of undead posing as a mortal.

To quote :
"I had one back when I lived in a town of just over 1,000."

I'm not going to go to your home town, find people, set them up and hand the group to you. I'm not your mother, make your own fucking dinner.

Don't whine at me just because an easy option is available for you but you don't want to do the abhorrent and be a fucking adult for once in your godless, miserable life.

Not him, but he clearly talked about loosing one's group and inability to replace them with other people you can physically interact with. Instead you keep posting about internet, which he also specified as a non-option.

And stop making those stupid food comparisions, since you are basically advocating "if you can't eat a normal, full meal, then two bags of crips are going to work as a dinner".

>There are people who unironically consider playing over net a better option
Either you are desperate, as in - really desperate - or just trolling

Because your entire argument is predicated on bad faith in the GM to run a sound game, and unless you can point me to a non-troll post that says "You should run politics whether the players want to or not, and punish them if they don't engage", you are a REEEE'ing faggot that needs to hang from yonder oak tree.