>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/5eg
1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/point-buy-calculator.html
youtu.be/1exBd8Lx1sM?t=1m59s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What spells and feats should I take if I'm making an Arcane Trickster?

Thinking of making a Bugbear Kensai. Weapon choice I was thinking of taking Lance, Greatsword and Longbow but I'm not sure. I'm only taking Greatswords because magic ones seem pretty common.

Also do my Unarmed Attacks get the reach bonus ?

Should I take Crossbow expert at 4 and Sharpshooter at 6, or the ASI instead in place of one of them (I have +3 to dex)

What is the best fighter archetype for a sword-and-board general-purpose fighter?

Silent image, disguise self and feather fall.

Battlemaster has the most combat utility, EK probably has most utility overall if you're clever with your spells.

Of the UA, Knight is pretty good for boarding, you can protect your teammates pretty nicely with it.

But I would probably just say that you go Battlemaster.

We're gonna be starting a group soon and have three high Charisma characters. When how many party faces is too many party faces?

>Homebrew setting includes a race that is relatively young in the world and has a large emphasis of gathering knowledge, up til their experiences can be consolidated in memory-immortality colonies not unlike mini-mind flayers without the brain munching
>Much of the setting's details are written from an in-universe "academic" perspective, as if recorded by this race
Is this going to be cringy as fuck for the players or nah? I tend to enjoy the in-universe style of explanation.

Once again, OP forgets the
>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

>I was literally just about to post it
Nice on, fampai.

Any complex trap ideas you've come up with since the UA came out, anons?

Sound sort of like Sylvari.

What about Samurai? It looks like it's decent and doesn't have a niche gimmick.

>forgetting
If only we could all be so blessed with ignorance.

Samurai wants you using a d12 weapon.

Find Familiar for advantage/sneak attack all day every day.

Minor illusion for obvious reasons. Sleep for the first four levels, get rid of it later.

Booming Blade + Bonus Action Disengage to make them trigger the extra damage.

Why? It says nothing about it.

It's pretty good for tanking, I admit that. But it lacks the general purpose usefulness Battlemaster has, for example.

It's basically a civilized Barb, even though it doesn't say so.

Why 5etools says that variant humans get +2 cha AND two +1s?

Longsword with both hands on it or bust.

Also Samurai best class.

Probably some mixup with Half-Elves.

I didn't say it requires it, I said it wants it. Having advantage on all melee attacks for a full round is best taken advantage of by using a weapon with a d12 damage die, because you're more likely to crit.

Because Megaanon doesn't have a proofreader and likes to copy and paste.

Unarmed Strikes make weapon attacks, but they're not weapons. Bugbears increase the range of weapon attacks, not weapons.

Why not 2d6?

That's what I thought too when I made my rogue but apparently any enemy with an intelligence higher than three knows how booming blade works and just uses a ranged attack. Still great when it does work though.

So, yeah? It's fucking annoying they don't just call them simple weapons or "Unarmed weapons". Makes the whole thing screwy.

But aren't 2d6s even better than 1d12s?

2d12 is more susceptible to bad rolls than 4d6, even though getting that double 12 would be satisfying.

Anyway, if you're gonna get a LOT of crits, it's better to have the sustained damage of 2d6 than 1d12, but that's just a personal opinion, really.

I'm an odachi person, myself, so Samurai with a Greatsword would be pretty much a no-brainer.

How is Samurai with PAM? Probably sickening, but asking anyway.

>playing a samurai that isn't Half-Orc
Dishonor on you and your entire family.

Samurai with PAM is a disgrace to his family.

A true samurai needs a bow, a horse, and a sword.

>using a weapon with a d12 damage die, because you're more likely to crit.

...Damage doesn't crit.

Yep. It does work.
Crossbow Expert will always do more DPR. Sharpshooter can be calculated to a particular AC for when it does more, and when it does less damage. However for a Battlemaster you can just chuck superiority dice at it using precision attack for the most part.
I can just calc it for you. With +8 to hit because of 5th level, 16 dex, and archery style, and 6.5 avg damage because of 1d6+3, the power attack on Sharpshooter does more until 20 AC with no advantage, and until 21 with advantage.
+1 dex mod does more than Sharpshooter at 20+ AC both with and without advantage. So unless you fight more enemies with 20+ AC than without Sharpshooter is better even ignoring Precision Strike.

Naginata (glaive) is a fine weapon for a girl samurai.

is there any reason to dip more than one level of cleric as a wizard who wants to be able to heal? i get to reroll starting at level 8 and we need a healer

Meh, con is a universally useful stat, and dex is an almost universally useful stat. They're in no way worse off than, say, a paladin.

They're the most powerful race by far, right? They sound like they've clicked up to the Imperial Age before anyone else.

Nah, life cleric is crazy-go-nuts good for wizard.

Oh shit. I admit, Samurai with 3d12 damage is pretty sick, but...
>Greataxe
Just no.

Naginatas. I know horse archery was the thing, but the class itself isn't really optimized for it. Sharpshooter would almost be better for a main Yumi user.

Also, Sentinel + PAM for ultimate salt. Unless they have pole weapons, they can't touch you. Advantageous OA:s at reach that stop opponents to 0ft of speed.

Naginata was the melee weapon of choice for most people, not just grills. Katana is just kind of enigmatic as the sidearm.

>Naginata was the melee weapon of choice for most people, not just grills.

Didn't know that, but that makes sense. I was walking with my wife earlier today wondering to myself, "why didn't they all just use naginatas for hand to hand?"

Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade annoy me.

>but apparently any enemy with an intelligence higher than three knows how booming blade works and just uses a ranged attack.

This for BB. If they don't move it's wasted. Granted you can be laying that down every single turn almost but still.

And GFB. What if there is only one target afield? Does nothing happen at all?

Samurai is actually good. If you're just a DPR machine that consumes Precision Strikes on Battlemaster when power attacking then instead of having 4 dice to spend, you can have 6 rounds of advantage attacking. If you have a bonus action attack this could be anywhere from 18 attacks, to 20 (with action surge) to 23 (with reaction attacks and surge).

If you have easy advantage from somewhere it becomes less useful with 3 rounds of resistance.

Is having 16 str and 14 con for a 5th level fighter acceptable or should I spend my 4th level ASI on a raise?

>I want to use my bonus action to attack with my offhand.

That reminds me. Can Arcane Trickster even dual wield? Does having another weapon in their offhand keep them from doing their spells?

Samurai had to train in multiple weapons, and most commonly used bows and polearms. Swords were good for walking through town, but for war, they had better options.

>greataxe
>not omi-yari lance
MAXIMUM DISHONOR

They're fucking cantrips.
They're competing with shit that does like 4.5 damage on a good day.
They're not supposed to be perfect.

acceptable but you'd like to get your STR up ASAP. what weapon are you using? if you're using a polearm, go sentinel/PAM. if anything else, i'd probably recommend more STR.

When will Wizards devote a UA to horror rules?

First priority is always getting PAM

Dubious necessity.

Fuck PAM and fuck whoever wrote it.

What's PAM

>Casts Green Flame Blade!
>Green Fire erupts from X's weapon and engulfs their quarry! It deals no damage and leaps into the air before dissipating harmlessly, having no other target to leap to!

Fucking, retarded.

Thank you! That was really helpful. I'll pick up Sharpshooter first and crossbow expert at 6 (or 8) then.

>being so fucking stingy that a broadly useful cantrip has a narrow area (levels 1-4) where its not so hot against single opponents

Yep.

Maybe you're better off using that 1d6 necrotic damage cantrip with its special anti undead function!

For example, BIG-ASS swords.

Omi-Yari as a lance? A little dubious. It's much more like a glaive, to be honest, or a spear with the normal Yari.

>Not refluffing warhammer as a Kanabo
Although, Kanabo were so goddamn heavy that you couldn't really one-hand it. But on the other hand, it is definitely a martial weapon.

d12 Bludgeoning Kanabo, anyone?

Ok, first you offer the players a huge treasure. Like stuff nobody's even seen before.
Then you make them fight for it. Huge fight. Like armies being ground into dust in fields of blood.
And just when they think they'll finally get their reward, that's when you spring the trap on them.

The treasure IS the trap.

So's your face.

I've long thought about this.

I want to run a campaign where the PCs get a chance to loot a dragon hoard, but actually... doing... anything with it, or getting it anywhere, is crazy difficult. 4 people find more than their body weight in gold, how are they going to get it anywhere? Crazy dangerous, especially if they don't already have strongly loyal mercenaries.

BB actually does more depending how accurate you are, like a power attack, since it's 4.5 + mod + 4.5 without movement where if you have no feats dual wielding is 3.5 + mod + 3.5. Sneak dice are worth more the more accurate you are, so depending on AC, and advantage BB either does slightly more, or somewhat less even if it doesn't trigger. You either do a good chunk more, or you lock down a melee dude.

First, they possibly have a wagon and/or horses. Second, if they defeated a fucking dragon, they might as well use its lair as a home base from now on.

Advantage makes you more likely to crit. However, that .5 damage from using 2d6 actually requires a level 9 half orc barbarian or something excessive to get anywhere near a wash. Overall either one is really close in damage.

Forgive me I'm a bit retarded.
Are the 4.5 and 3.5 average dice rolls?

and how did intend to make disengage work with Booming Blade? Just Hope their target follows them to trigger it?

I'm saying it again. Ban it, and replace it, or add more feats that compete.

Wasted trips on being a dumbass. Naturally a Kanabo/Tetsubo would be a Maul. Dumbass me.

Still the best weapon.

Booming Blade is very good for dedicated melee foes, and for keeping enemy casters still with Mage Slayer.

Its not so good with switch hitters.

Yeah, the average is half +.5, so 1d8, and 1d6. Early on, or with DM created enemies it might seem like guards can shoot a bow just as good as swing a longsword, but later on there are various enemies with megarape flails, but 1d8+4 bows.

This is my preferred stat array, there are many others like it but this one is mine.

Better then some barbarians I've seen, honestly.

Ultra-peasant coming thru.

>Standard Human

Uh... Still does the weapon's damage to that target...

Preferred Class Fighter/Rogue

Medium armor wearing, greatsword wielding, Barbarian, with magic initiate for find familiar, and some int requiring cantrips, that needs 13 wis to multicllass into druid to get moon wildshapes that really wants to be able to chat people up.

Link to the calculator?

1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/point-buy-calculator.html

Thanks.

Alright, my dude. It's literally this. You hit them, you put out some fire, they take normal, and fire damage. No one else there? No one else gets hit. Yes this only makes sense at 5th+ where it applies damage to the main target on hit from then on.
youtu.be/1exBd8Lx1sM?t=1m59s

>Its not so good with switch hitters.
Like an Arcane Trickster?
Thought so, thanks. Where were you getting 1d6 for the offhand attack? (You could use another Rapier for 1d8) and I thought you only added your proficiency bonus rather than your ability modifier?

Without feats to use two weapon fighting both the weapons you use might be light, which caps it at 1d6. With a feat investment you can use two rapiers for 1d8. You still add your ability modifier to hit when two weapon fighting, but you don't add it to damage without a fighting style.

Keep in mind the average array is +7 total, so even though that's +2 as the highest the overall stat is +10 which is kind of crazy. Really that type of array isn't really an ultra peasant its more someone so talented they've never had to develop a specialty because they've excelled at everything they've ever tried.

>Like an Arcane Trickster?

No I mean, its not so good against them, I should say.

>Doesn't let you go higher than 15

That's how point-buy work RAW.

You need racial modifiers to do that. Those are the rules in the players handbook, you can't start with a stat higher than 15.

Well yeah, the original attack yes. But does it add anything else before level 5? It doesn't specify and it's vague.

>On a hit , the target suffers the attack's normal effects,

As in the regular attack, or the spell attack's normal effects.
As in your Spell Attack Ability Modifier?

kek

Ah I get you. Enemies that don't give a damn if they suddenly can't move.

But I'm curious now how a DM would decide whether a creature knows to move out of it or stay still.

I could easily see someone ignorant wanting to get the fuck away from energy surrounding their space.

>both the weapons you use might be light
Right you are.

Depends on how many Arcane Trickster dickass thieves plant sound mined under people's feet, and if people even pay attention to things like that in a world full of Dragon Gods, and necromancer armies.

What spells are best for a fiendlock with a cultist flavor? I'm pact of chain if it matters at all.

>Well-written

Lightning Hand guys facial expression reminds me of a toddler

Is there a quick list/compilation anywhere for the stats of all the familiars you can get with Find Familiar?

My friend invited me to a 5e campaign.

Should I roll a Kenku Bard, College of Satire? Or should I value my life?

Don't use Kenku for a gimmick involving speaking. It's too one-note and you'll get stuck with a near-mute character.

A Kenku mime, on the other hand, would be incredible.

Does shoving count as an attack roll?