Tfw you will never play as a biomechanical demigod island warrior with a magic mask and a shonen-protagonist leader

>tfw you will never play as a biomechanical demigod island warrior with a magic mask and a shonen-protagonist leader
Why even live, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d3C7H_xvwHs
youtu.be/xdkcjbInbRU
faberfiles.blogspot.com/search/label/Bionicle?updated-max=2012-05-18T16:00:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=60&by-date=false
youtu.be/qcUHcwOtkIs
peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=bionicle&limit=none
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Tfw someone else posted Bionicle related stuff, At all.
I've been blocked from creating new threads, What do I do?

Ever tried using the actual sets as character models?

>I've been blocked from creating new threads,
Literally how.

Discourse: Which years were good and which were bad?

Is Voya Nui worth talking about?

It says my IP has been blocked.

That's where it becomes Grimdark.

2008/9 in terms of lore.
2005 in terms of the sets.

I still remember my first Bionicle. It was a green Rahkshi. I was young as fuck when I got it.

Those motherfuckers were the bomb.

Daily reminder that 2001-03 are the only years worth looking up and it all becomes a convoluted mess from thereon out.

Honestly this. The Metru Nui arcs were kind of cool but after that it all started turning into this CHIM shit and I just got fucking lost.

It was still cool and interesting, but it wasn't what originally hooked me.

>Toa being genuine badass heroes without falling to capeshit
>wandering Mata Nui and taking in the forbidding but awe-inspiring atmosphere
>tribal chanting everywhere
Oh baby, right in the nostalgia glands

youtube.com/watch?v=d3C7H_xvwHs

I have nothing I can add to this thread, but I wish it well, and hope that perhaps someone will have homebrew stories of Bionicle games.

Unity, Duty, Destiny.

It was always a convoluted mess. Okay, maybe not as convoluted, but still. A lot of the scifi stuff was planned from the beginning. Remember the indestructible stone layer in that mine in MNOG?

You know how LEGO was sued for using maori words? Ihu means nose. Mangai means mounth, Naho means eye. Look at the map. Nui means great. Mata means face.
youtu.be/xdkcjbInbRU

faberfiles.blogspot.com/search/label/Bionicle?updated-max=2012-05-18T16:00:00-07:00&max-results=20&start=60&by-date=false

Or this
youtu.be/qcUHcwOtkIs

Spamming, probably

>they were planning the Giant Robot arc from the beginning
Literally every part of the lore now makes sense. The Bohrok makes sense, Metru Nui being under Mata Nui makes sense, The seas around Mata Nui being water while the seas everywhere else being Quicksilver makes sense - shit, even the map makes sense.

You're only saying that because Web of Shadows sucked ass and left a permanent bad taste in everyone's mouth. Piraka were cool, Ignika were okay, and the 2008 sets were really good.

Think my first was Tahu Nuva. God, playing with Bionicles is the one thing from my childhood that I actually miss.

Still breaks my heart that Bionicle gott such a good story and its precursor Slizers got fuck all.

Literally my childhood went from Slizers to roboriders to bionicle.

You fucked up bad enough so admin told you to fuck off and you should comply

Never post again niggerlord

>It says my IP has been blocked.
Does it also say that you can avoid the block by purchasing a captcha pass?

>They planned it from the very beginning
DEEPEST LORE
I think my very first Bionicle was Lewa.
Has anyone ever played the Lost Chronicles game?

Best girl, right here. I was kinda miffed that my first figure was the girl ('cause adolescent), but then I watched her kick ass in the flash game and everything was right in the world.

Also, I'm not the only one here who thought the MNOG told a much better story than the comics, right?

Yes.

You dun got jewed by Hiroshimoot.

What's a good system to run Bionicle in? GURPS? Fate? M&M?

probably Fate

same here man
I was heavily into thomas and then on my 6th birthday I invited a new kid to be friendly, he got me that green rakshi
fucker sent me on a slippery slope

imo, the inika were the worst toa set, the light up swords were ugly and so were the "masks"

Bionicle got cut short, just when the plot was going to get that little bit deeper. Greg Farshety had a whole extra line of novels planned for the post-makuta-teridax-and-mata-nui fight world and released a couple short stories that hinted at this

Got Toa Tahu from my mom, I was so happy with it
My mom decided to give me Onua as well that very same day
Those were the days man

My cousin and I got Tahu and Lewa, although for the life of me I don't remember who got who.
I do, however, distinctly rmeember asking my older cousin what direction Tahu's sword was supposed to go (whether it was a cutting edge, or you were supposed to hit with the flat of the sword).

Oof, now there's a memory I wasn't expecting.

>Does it also say that you can avoid the block by purchasing a captcha pass?

>Yes.

>You dun got jewed by Hiroshimoot.

This.

Hiro pulled this scam on the last website he owned, and the users warned us about it two years ago.

First the mobile ISPs will be blocked. Then a few of the larger landline ISPs will be blocked.

Eventually you'll need to pay Hiro $20 per year to post anywhere on Veeky Forums.

itt post your collections
This ain't even all I've got. There's another 2.5 boxes of lego like this, with a lot of bionicle mixed in.

Pretty sure I'll become a goon at that point.

Is there a site with all the kit instructions ? All I've got are boxes and boxes of pieces

I fear that Bionicle threads won't exist without me posting them occasionally.

Seeing as I can't now someone shall have to be the new torchbearer of Bionicle threads.

I still don't understand the quicksilver and water seas, or how Metru Nui can be below Mata Nui but somehow they reach it by ocean?

Perron/Picsl

peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/psearch?query=bionicle&limit=none

Kinda blurry sometimes but they get the job done.

The sea around Metru Nui is silvery protodermis, since it's artificial, and the sea around Mata Nui is regular water. They travel between the two seas via an underground river that connects them.

Tahu came off as a lot more dickish than just some shonen-leader

It'll be time to leave when that happens

Which is part of what makes him interesting, in my mind at least. He wanted to be the leader, sometimes he even got to be the leader when they were willing to actually team up, but each Toa was their own person, and most didn't enjoy taking orders from Tahu - he was strong and brave, but he wasn't that charismatic or arguably even that intelligent. There was a low key struggle between each of the Toa that kept them as individuals even when it was obvious they were strongest together.

No, they reached Metru Nui through tunnels they found at the Kini Nui temple.

What I particularly liked is, besides just their individual characters and their group dynamics, there was a lot of focus put on defining their one-on-one relationships with eachother. You had things like Pohatu's surprisingly close friendship with Kopaka, and how Lewa learned to become less impulsive from his time with Gali (or was it Onua?).
This wasn't unique to the Toa Mata either. The Toa Nui had some neat interactions together (especially after they became Turanga), and the Toa Ignika had their fair share of interactions as well (most notably Kongu and Nuparu).

Thank you user!

It was hard to remember they were supposed to feel like a superhero team when reading the comics because they never really seemed to be together either. Made your favorite Toa that much more interesting

Man, there was so much brilliance in their simplicity. I know the kits generally got better over time, but they really started strong. They had the perfect mix of action hero and machine. I always found it so smart that Pohatu twisted their own gimmick, not only flipping the body around for a different silhouette (like Onua), but using the gears for a kicking ability with a rock that came with the kit.

For me though, the lore quickly became a mess after the first couple of generations.

I'd say it the lore did get comfusing.
I stopped carring about bionicle as a kid around 2006-7

But the big robot secret reveal is amazing. I remeber finding out a few years ago and it blowing my mind.
All the pieces fall into place.

Agreed on most fonts, it really feels like the sets were put into production based on the pitch of their modularity that then allowed for their characterization to pop out in the ways you said. Its just fucking great design.

I felt some of that went away in later sets where the distinguishers were the distinct pieces only rather than being accentuations to an already robust different base.

I agree, even the ones who didn't receive much development (like Onua or Pohatu, who are nearly static characters throughout) had memorable relationships with the other members.

A shame the series got more reliant on generic action talk and cheesy one-liners later on, and the memorable character moments got rarer. And one of the biggest failings of the reboot was its incompetence in giving character to any of the Toa, and even what little personality they had was inconsistent.

G2 Pohatu and G2 Kopaka were exact opposites.
What happened to them.

The lore got very confusing compared to how it started off, but I managed to follow it seeing as I remained interested in the series for literally the entire 10 years of its run. Fuck, I can still remember a surprising amount of names, even for the more obscure shit, off the top of my head.

The setting was as broad as pretty much any table top fantasy setting, and would be great for a game: it's packed with races, locations, items, weapons and concepts. The problem would be introducing anyone who didn't follow the franchise for years on end to all the completely unique shit.

If I were to run a game or quest set in the Bionicle world I'd probably have to go for biomechanical tiki island adventures, like the first 3 years, or do something set in the 2009/2010 setting, Bara Magna. It was kind of a soft reboot so it has way less shit to remember than the Matoran Universe, but it was really neat in my opinion: instead of a tropical tiki islanders with robots, it was Mad Max with robots and an uneasy society awkwardly balanced on gladitorial combat.

>reboot
Fuck, I forgot about this, and know practically nothing about it apart from the few sets I've seen looking ugly as shit and seeming to be reliant on Hero Factory pieces.

The comics only ever told the partial story. With the SOLE exception of the Bohrok arc.

>Keeping track of comics, books, online stories, animations, video games, movies and descriptions on toy boxes in order to understand the story
Woah mama

Greg's online stories ended up shouldering the bulk of the story from like 2007 onwards though, if I remember correctly. Not really the main, important story about whoever the year's set of toys was, but if you wanted to understand why almost fucking anything was happening or who anyone was or why they were in their current states, you'd have to hop over to bioniclestory.com.

>lore quickly became a mess
The shift from simplistic but charming mystical epic fantasy to edgy action-adventure soft sci-fi did hurt the coherence of the story and world a lot. The two mixed real badly when the creators tried to give justifications and needless backstory explanations for all sorts of things, yet many elements from the original years remained nonsensical and vague.

The whole robot reveal was great, as was the whole world they set up, but it was clear that most of the writing was done on the fly, and when you looked back at it all, it was just a convoluted jumble. And that was before they started with the goddamn retarded online serials that muddled the lore up beyond all measurable degree because Greg took pride in never planning ahead and just writing whatever he felt like at any given moment.

Broadly, you could get the first arc from the free online flash game, the second arc from the comics (with maybe the flash stuff for context), and the third from the comics OR the free flash cartoons. After that you needed to pony up and buy the movie.

And then Metro Nui happened. I think you could get through the first arc on just the comics, but things got messy.

I'm posting from a hotel, otherwise I would post mine.

Is Greg Farshtey Based?

I guess they wanted to give Pohatu a more stereotypical stone-ish personality? As in, instead of being reliable, social and friendly like he was in G1, he became a silent, brooding, antisocial badass with a deeply hidden friendly side in 2015 and a thick-headed jerkass in 2016.

Kopaka though? He was basically reduced to a jerk in '15 and an I have no idea what they were trying to do with him in '16. He became awkward and mildly funny while also remaining sarcastic. God, the Netflix show was horrible when it came to displaying personalities. Pohatu, Lewa and to a degree Onua were the only Toa who had actual character traits.

Metru Nui you could get the important stuff from the films, but you missed out on the vines (Morbuzak?) storyline and some minor encounters and plot points from 2004 and 2005. A lot of the time the same plot points would be covered by several different forms of media (I'm fairly certain a lot of the books and a lot of the comics were the exact same shit) so you didn't have to read absolutely everything. I remember I managed the storyline well enough with bioniclestory.com, the free online comics, and occasionally checking the wiki which was religiously maintained by an army of 10 year olds and autists.

Yes and no. He had some excellent ideas and a good deal of the storyline was carried on his back, and he added some good depth to characters who would otherwise pop up only as the toys demanded and then vanish into obscurity. He did make things rather convoluted and did make some stupid calls, but he didn't shit up everything as badly as implies.

In my opinion what hurt the story the most was the time scale. The Matoran Universe had something like 100,000 years of history and there was no need to make the number that big when there wasn't nearly enough lore to fill out all that time. It also made all the characters seem kind of stupid, as apparently all of them were thousands of years old but weren't all hyper intelligent super beings.

Oh God, they made a Netflix series of the reboot? What's even going on in that thing?

Books were always the safest bet ever since they started making them. Especially as the length of the comics later decreased and they could only focus on certain parts of the story.

I'll never get over how the first 08 comic built up Icarax as this huge deal of a character, only to never actually show him after his introduction.

Icarax was a fucking joke
>Seems like he's meant to be the main villain of the storyline
>Even has the fucking Mask of Shadows
>Gets memed on by Mutran and the rest of the 08 Makuta

I find it hard to call it a series, it's just a mini series made up of four episodes and a half-length prologue episode. It got canceled halfway through production, so the ending was just slapped together without any thought.

It was an unremarkable thing, corny and simplistic writing catered to little kids, voice actors no one's ever heard about, animation that screams low budget. But the thing that hurt it most was that they had to cram in their plans for the 2017 storyline into the last few minutes of the finale, leading to nonsense that defies belief.

Greg was good when his hands were tied and he had to keep a set course for the storyline.

Left to his own devices, he was mediocre at best. He always recycled very few character archetypes, his dialogue for all the characters way too samey, he relied way too much on stupid edgy shock value and pointless plot twists, and just shat over the story far too much with all those alternate universes, needless character deaths and resurrections and never planning anything ahead.

His books were based, but the later fanfic-tier story serials can go fuck themselves as hard as the failed reboot.

Anybody remember those mystery mask boxes back in Gen1? I got a 'rusted' Hau (Tahu's mask) in one. Never knew what I was supposed to do with it.

I'm still upset that none of the Toa besides the Toa Mata had multiple masks, much less golden super-masks. Watching Onua completely cheese his fight with Lewa was an absolute joy.

That's an infected mask.

I remember that, but what was the point of it way back in Gen1? It was before the Rahi and all that shit went down.

Kids wanted shooting stuff rather than collectible masks, so Lego had to comply. I give credit for the reboot for attempting to bring back multiple mask variants in some way, even if it for the most part only meant having two or three versions of a given mask instead of six or more: one in its regular colors, one in gold and some masks got transparent or half-transparent variations.

Only the Protectors had a full set of six colors plus gold, not the Toa sadly.

God, yeah, it's a shame how irrelevant masks became after the first few years. I mean, the plot did focus on the Mask of Life for 3 years but the masks of the Toa ceased being so important, their mask powers weren't a big deal and Rahi stopped wearing them. It was fucking criminal they stopped doing random mask packs, which could actually be used to *make* Bionicles, in favour of
>Coloured discs
>Coloured spinners
>L I T E R A L L Y coloured plastic spheres
>Coloured squids
>Coloured small squids
>Not even coloured spiked balls

I loved how you could get all the gen 1 masks in so many different colours, but then for the rest of the series mask recolours only came out with the occasional set.

It represented Makuta and general bad shit.

I would, but I don't get back access to mine until the weekend of March 12th after moving into my new place.

All the 01 Rahi were supposed to have similar infected masks, but only the Hau was ever released with painted-on corrosion to signify that it's infected. The Muaka had two if this mask and as you said it also came in mask packs.

It was also Makuta's mask in 01, and was featured on all sorts of promo artwork.

>The shift from simplistic but charming mystical epic fantasy to edgy action-adventure soft sci-fi did hurt the coherence of the story and world a lot.

This, this this.

Anything that wore one would be under Makuta's control. Happened to Lewa. That sort of thing happened to Lewa a lot, actually.

I love this one

Bohrok were the perfect combination of intimidating but also kind of funny. Horrible insect monsters that destroy everything in their path and shoot out mind controlling face huggers, but are also squat and dumpy and roll around.

They were a really interesting 'next step' in the evolution of the creatures in Bionicle and also a kind of horrifying one, where all the mechanical and biological components have become seperated.

The idea that they used to be Matoran is one of the ideas introduced later in the storyline that I wasn't particularly fond of but added another layer of horror to them.

err
>Gahlok-Kal head
>Kohrak eyes and hands
>Kopaka feet and skis

>The idea that they used to be Matoran is one of the ideas introduced later in the storyline that I wasn't particularly fond of but added another layer of horror to them

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I lost some pieces and I found funny mixing them when I was young. I gave kopaka the mask from Gahlok-Kal

Around 2008 it was decided that Matoran who were destined to became Bohroks when they died and got teleported to one of the hives somewhere in the Matoran universe. While I like the idea of Bohroks being former Matoran (something that was kind of present since 2002, if I remember a picture of some carvings that never came up again correctly), this implementation of it was kind of stupid - especially seeing as, if I remember correctly, this only happened to Matoran of Light, who were exceedingly rare so I don't see how enough of them could have died to produce the vast swarms of Bohrok.

It was revealed late in the line's run, but I believe it was planned from earlier. That 2002 concept art shows a sort of "evolutionary" similarity between the Bohrok and the Matoran species, only diverging into the opposite direction, and in the second novel (I think) the Bahrag also refer to the Bohrok as the Toa's brothers.

It was just relayed to the readers in a clunky manner. "O yeah we have to reveal this secret before the ending, lets get it quickly out of the way so we can go back to the plot."

Veeky Forums, how glad are you that the Mask of Light soundtrack is finally getting an official release? Only took them 14 years.

>tfw no remastered MNOG OST ever

When?

Damn it.

Thanks for the explaining. I am (and always shall be) working off the first generations of lore where Bohrok were just merely vehicles for the Krana (some of my favorite mask-like designs).

NOW, if it were said that bohrok were comprised of dead Matoran for which the Krana controlled (skeleton warriors up in here), or that the essence of Matoran was used to make the Krana. Then were in fucking business.

Honestly, I don't know if there would be anything TO save in regards to MNOG OST. The quality of the audio was always not great and really synthy.

I love it more than anything else, but I think it would take a full remake of the music to get it to where we would want it to be.

I know it was likely intended from the beginning but, like you said, the way it ended up being implemented felt kind of clumsy. Something a little more horrifying would have been good in my opinion.

Though, if you think about it, what does happen is still pretty spooky. A dead Matoran's organic parts get seperated from their mechanical parts and put back together again. The human equivelant would be someone taking out your skeleton, rearranging the parts, then putting all of your organs back inside of it in order to pilot it.

And sometimes the organs jump out and latch onto peoples' faces.

YO YO
PIRAKA

Pohatu! I was. a little disappointed because brown? And his weapon is... kicking? But he grew on me.

Outta my way poor fucking shits.

Don't know about the release date, but iTunes and Amazon preorders should be up in a few days.

Kopaka, Onua, and Lewa were my niggas

>Full gen 1

Good shit man.

>all those McToran

>Web of Shadows
2005 in general was an awkward year for the line. That's when it really shifted gears into edgier territory, the sets were hit and miss, and trying to make sense of the story split up between the comics, books, online animations and the movie was a chore, especially for someone like me who had no access to the books at the time.

Also, Bob Thompson, the original leader of the Story Team left at that point.

Along with a song by All-american rejects...

All the years were fine on their own, as their own self-contained storylines, it's only the overarching lore and background stuff that got kind of messy. Each year had a bunch of cool shit and a very distinct aesthetic. Nothing quite exceeded the *feeling* and charm of 2000 - 2003, but they all had their own shit going for them.

Though,
You're both right, I'd say. 2005 is where things really started to get messy I think. The Visorak were cool as fuck though.

My personal ratings would be:

>God tier
2000, 2001, 2002

>Great tier
2003, 2009, 2007

>Good tier
2006, 2008

>Meh tier
2004, 2005

>Shit tier
2010, reboot

AND THEN I CRAAAASHED INTO YOU
AND I WENT UP IN FLAAAMES

>The human equivelant would be someone taking out your skeleton, rearranging the parts, then putting all of your organs back inside of it in order to pilot it.

>2000
wat

I think the Rahi sets and McToran started coming out in 2000, didn't they?

I thought they were all 2001, but I might be wrong.

>tfw literally have every model from Gen 1-2 and a majority of the Metru Nui-Mahri arcs
>it's taken apart in about 10 different boxes filled to the brim with Lego, each one large enough to literally hide a body in
Holy shit did my Grandpa spoil me as a kid.
I miss him.

I heard Europe got them at the end of 2000 and the US in 2001.

I'm Yuro, but I really can't remember. I did get the Mata in early 2001, but I don't know whether they had been out before that.