Now they're stealing our stories

Now they're stealing our stories.

That's because they can't think of anything original.

who gives a fuck. People have been min-maxing intimidation orcs for years and it's always been funny. Wasn't an original story here either, get over it and stop browsing tumblr.

I've seen people on this board re-post stories from other sites dozens of times, and even go on to answer other poster's replies as if they were actually there. That's to say nothing of all the stories on here that are blatant fabrications, invented solely to play off the biases of chantards at large.

Get your head out of your ass.

because it's impossible for someone to frequent more than one website right?

It's possible the coworker is from Veeky Forums and was telling stories about greentexts, not knowing he was talking to a tumblrite. Someone here is a story stealing asshole, but it very well could have been one of us.

>hurrrr min-maxing and funny stories are our trademark!

Yet I bet you grumble at GW's tight-assed IP enforcement, don't you?

Shitty orc thief-wannabe isn't exactly a unique concept.

At least it's not as bad as players trying to re-enact these stories or present the character ideas from them as their own concepts.

> Veeky Forums widely shills the new edition of D&D for being player friendly and simple
> goes out of its way to curate new players
> thinks 5e is a shining path to a new future for RPGs
> 90% of arguments for why it is good stem from "well it's not 3.5!"
> now, tabletop hobby is flooded with more roasties and normies than ever before
> dumb-ass mechanics pander to them
> the nat20 meme is in full force thanks to Critical Roll
> Cards Against Humanity has fueled this idea that the fun in gaming stems from ridiculous scenarios creating autistic laughter
> video games have also put the Chaotic Randumb mentality in these new players
> most of the girls don't even bother learning to play as they are there to soak up male attention from beta orbiters
> this is what Veeky Forums wants

I will never understand you people.

Thanks for reminding me of my depression.

I hope this is satire

>shill new edition of of D&D for being player friendly and simple
>goes out of its way to curate new players
>thinks 3rd is a shining path to a new future for RPGs
>90% of arguments for why it is good stem from "well it's not 2nd!"
>now, tabletop hobby is flooded with more hipsters and normies than ever before
>dumb-ass mechanics pander to them
>nat20 meme is in full force thanks to Order Of The Stick
>Munchkin has fuels this idea that the fun in gaming stems from ridiculous scenarios creating autistic laughter
>video games have also put the Chaotic Randumb mentality in these new players
>most of the girls don't even bother learning to play as they are there to soak up male attention from beta orbiters
>this is what gamers want

Works for 2nd Ed. AD&D too.

Why would it be satire? Have you been to an FLGS in the past 5 years, or have you just hidden inside and ordered your Palladium books online?

Ok perhaps I was rude and too quick to judge, I don't have any of these problems because I'm only playing with people I've known for many years and don't know what people that actually have to look for players in the wild have to go through.

nah, is just an idiot who's upset they got old

I don't think Order of the Stick had a single nat20 joke in it and it certainly didn't fuel this "nat20 means you instantly fly to the moon" horsecrap that has been shitting up the hobby for a good 5 years now. I blame Critical Role and similar D&D-as-performance-art bullshit. I actually saw a few of these shows about ten years ago when they were first starting out. Never even guessed things would get to this level of idiocy. People have failed to recognize the difference between a comedy D&D session and a D&D session that you might actually enjoy remembering someday.

Except I'm not old. I'm probably younger than average for Veeky Forums.
And, 3.5 was far from friendly and simple. It got a few more people into the game but they were of the same ilk and the new edition was meant to re-invigorate D&D's fanbase, not draw in outside hordes for maximum shekels.

And Munchkin was NOWHERE near as widespread as Big Bang Theory, Stranger Things, Critical Role, et cetera. Your fallacy is that that and OOTS were mostly read/played by people who were already in the hobby.

shit, I fucked up my reply, the last two lines were meant to be in the first part of the post.

> goes out of its way to curate new players

All of the things you are complaining about have been happening for years. Your complaints are the same complaints as previous generations of autistic grognards. Its okay. Other people having badwrong fun isn't new, you won't like many of them, hipsters, normies, sjws kids, whatever. You're old inside. Old in the shitty way where you think what other people are doing is bad because its not how you do it.

>It's been raining for years, but now it's flooding? Don't be so angry, grandpa, it's how things have always been!

>I've never been wet before!
>its just rain, happens to varying degrees, calm down

>strawman analogy
>basically whatever you think is right is actually wrong because I said so

I've been gaming since I was 11. Even at stores. The people there used to be kind and sober for the most part. The games had plenty of humor but they were far less dominated by these obnoxious autists. Hell, just look at the faces and dress style of the people who play games these days. Do you think they all just suddenly absorbed fashion sense, or do you think maybe something else is going on?

mhm

4srs tho, when 6th drops you'll see the same shit. I understand you're scared and upset and dumb, but its not new.

Yep. Looks like Dungeons and Dragons has finally cemented its place as a containment RPG.

It's not like this wasn't already a thing. Ever since third edition came out the trend was already starting. Fourth edition came with the popularity surge of The Big Bang Theory which resulted in a spike in sales, which was not enough to save 4e's badly-written mechanics.

Fifth edition was specifically watered down to be palatable both to grognards (who do not rely on the active D&D community nor do they need a new ruleset, thus this pandering was stupid) and to normies, who flocked to the game in great masses thanks to the game's appearance on two terrible TV shows (Stranger Things and Big Bang Theory). Also, the prevalence of Critical Role podcast created quite a lot of love for D&D, which found itself inundated by waves of new players. Wizards of the Coast saw sales skyrocketing, giving them the false message that dumbing down the game represented an improvement in game design (though they did streamline many of the mechanics, which was a good thing). As a result, Wizards is very happy with this diluting of the Dungeons and Dragons fanbase. Veeky Forums has also deluded itself into thinking this influx of players is a good thing. This lack of foresight is to be expected.

D&D is now the containment RPG. It keeps the dumb-ass Skyrim addicts and the brain-dead hipster roasties who can't even figure out which die to roll, out of the good RPGs. Which is sad, because D&D, despite being shit in many small ways, was overall a very fun and enjoyable roleplaying game. It was structured that way. However, the fanbase it is now attracting is making it intolerable, and the way said fanbase is guiding the mechanics is a direction that would make a game like Dungeon World seem sophisticated.

So, in short, D&D is dead, but thank god for its existence.

Fashion has changed, games are currently more marketable. There were always obnoxious gamers, gamers you didn't like, people who were rude. Rose tinting the past is just going to make you even shittier.

You gotta spice that pasta up a bit.

Look, we can't settle this argument one way or the other. It's based entirely on our subjective observations. There aren't any studies into how many "normies" have flooded the hobby.

I just ask you to look at Critical Role and the appearance of Dungeons and Dragons in Big Bang Theory and other TV shows, and realize that these are the major influences of people entering the hobby. This is how it is being depicted. This is what new players will expect.

Do you really want that?

>Fashion has changed

Not in the most basic sense. Even accounting for that, I see gamers far more well-dressed than they ever were in the past.

> games are currently more marketable.

Hmm, elaborate on that point.

I want it about as much as I want you. Its a diffuse hobby with a variety of demographics, you're not a gatekeeper, its never been just about you. Get over it.

online distribution, game blogs, kickstarter, eurogame explosion, esports, etc. There's more people making games and more people buying. Its going to necessarily be different. Some grogs get scared of new and different.

pmuch this. Sometimes people forget you have to suck to be here at all, or want to defend their special corner of suck.

You're putting words in my mouth. And I am very accepting of new gamers who try to disrupt the tone of the game by being total twats.

The issue is that Veeky Forums has made this bullshit argument that if you don't support running your D&D games like a session of Cards Against Humanity while drinking microbrews, you are anti-fun because fun is the only goal of D&D fun and nothing else fun fun fun.

While ignoring the fact that fun is (1) subjective and (2) as a metric, utterly meaningless.

Having an orgy is more fun than D&D for most, but if you show up to a D&D game at some guys house then all start stripping halfway through the game, you are a dick.

Similarly, if you infiltrate and flood a hobby and instead of trying to adapt and immerse yourself in that culture, you try to flame it with memes and orgasmic squawking at the sight of a once-in-twenty occurrence, you are a selfish dickhead, no different than what you are accusing me of being.

(not you, personally, user, I mean the people are discussing here)

I kind of doubt things like Big Bang Theory has had that much of an impact on the general populace. My two younger sisters have watched every single episode of that show, yet did not know what D&D was when I brought it up in conversation once. Or what a "roleplaying game" was, for that matter.

Sure, that's anecdotal, but do think that unless people know what D&D is before watching a episode of BBG, they won't remember it after the episode is done.
Almost everyone can remember the basic plot of E.T., or even specific moments, but unless you know what D&D is you probably won't remember that it's in the movie.

But I dunno, I may be wrong, and it may be that these shows are spreading D&D to the masses. It's just not my impression.

Oh, and you can't really "steal" a story on the internet. Ownership barely exists as anything but culture. Either way I don't really care if tumblr "steals" it, I don't really interact with that community. Likewise I wouldn't care if someone posted a cool worldbuilding project here that was based off something from tumblr, it's all just free information.

>online distribution, game blogs, kickstarter, eurogame explosion, esports, etc. There's more people making games and more people buying. Its going to necessarily be different. Some grogs get scared of new and different.

I like new games. I don't support Kickstarter because of how easy it is to get ripped off, and there are hordes of useful idiots on Reddit who have more money than sense and will boot up these projects for one hundred times the money they are asking.

However these mediums are mainly only responsible for attracting the hipsters. The normalfags are coming to D&D for two other reasons which I mentoned above.

I wrote this pasta and someone besides me posted it. What does that even mean?

There's an entire tumblr blog dedicated to screencapping Veeky Forums posts.

>that faggot is lurking for material somewhere right now

>now

>infiltrate a hobby
like with ninjas? Do you think there are people trying to corrupt your games?

Their idea of fun is different. They're going to run games like that. There have been games made out of random nat20 shinnanigans and monty python jokes and bullshit since way before 5th ed. People not reading, researching and learning about a hobby before involving themselves is normal. Its not new.

Means it was salient.

DnD has always been the containment zone though.

From the few episodes I watched of TBBT I only remember that every scene involving DnD was making fun of it for being strange nerd shit (making fun of the characters roleplaying and doing voices for example), I doubt the average person that watches the show will be convinced to research RPGs further and even try them if their only contact with it is that.

Okay, less infiltration as much as outright invasion. I spoke too kindly.

> There have been games made out of random nat20 shinnanigans and monty python jokes and bullshit since way before 5th ed.

Yes there are always examples of this throughout the history of D&D, we are discussing volume and frequency.

> People not reading, researching and learning about a hobby before involving themselves is normal. Its not new.

The difference is the arrogance and confidence with which these people enter the hobby. They aren't looking to learn anything, they think they already know everything because their entire life system is based around positive reinforcement. These roasties enter the game with this idea that it is your job to entertain them, and since they have never created anything in their life, they get bored, then get angry and resentful at you for not entertaining them. Whereas the males will simply hijack your game for cheap entertainment. And not in the "well you shouldn't be such a railroading DM" kind of way, but rather the "not even do anything game-related, just try to spout actual internet memes during a D&D game, in-character, and tell you that you're a no-fun twat if you call them out on it."

These people are entering our hobby by the thousands while you're preaching tolerance and "a bloo bloo it's not your right to keep them out, you're not a gatekeeper, it's not your sekret clubbb"

Reminds me of all the European women calling for more and more Muslims to be let into the country because they wanted that Haji meat. Then fifty of them got run over by a truck.

I wonder if there's a lesson to be learned, there.

>roasties

Back to /r9k/.

This is literally complaining about cultural appropriation, a concept that doesn't get any less ridiculous just because a non-SJW is doing it.

Yes, but you forgot the other piece of the puzzle: being a """nerd""" is cool, now. That, coupled with the maintaining of the normie's social status above that of those pathetic losers who actually care about their hobby ("god, caring about a game, what a fuckin piece of shit, i bet he lives with his mom") means that these people think it is cool to go into D&D games and act like the roasties did in the episode: rude, demeaning, narcissistic cunts.

I mean there's even a point in the show where the guys play D&D instead of hanging out with their girlfriends, and these air-headed bitches get so butthurt over going one night without their "mens'" (I use the term loosely give how whipped these fucks are) attention that they storm into the apartment dressed in lingerie and do sexy dances to distract them.

What a bunch of fucking whores. And this is the kind of shit that is considered acceptable in gaming now.

>just because a non-SJW is doing it
meant to say "just because a non-SJW is complaining about it"

You seem pretty arrogant and confident, don't seem like you learned much, think you already know everything and have based your entire life system around getting what you want. Now that's no happening and you mad.

Good. Its not MY hobby. I don't own it, or control who gets to play games. But if the current changes in demographics means you're less interested that's pretty okay.

Better watch out for those jihadisjwgamersninjas invading your flgs. Boogaboogabooga!

Personally my issue is how they utilize annoying tumblr speak. Like starting their anecdote as if it was a continuation of another post. Or the "apparently". What makes it apparent other than the fact that you're fucking saying it? And if you're saying it then why the fuck do you need to tell us that it "apparently" happened?

>they're making it difficult for me to call them whores!

>that image
LITERALLY
NOTHING
WRONG
WITH
IT

COMMUNITIES AREN'T MEANT TO REMAIN STAGNANT
EVERY SINGLE COMMUNITY HAS A LIFE CYCLE THAT ENDS WITH ITS DEATH AND REBIRTH
FUCK OFF, WE'RE FULL

No, no, there is a difference.

Cultural appropriation is whining when someone names their restaurant after an Indian tribe and puts insulting stereotype shit in it. It's kind of cringeworthy but it's even more cringeworthy to complain about it.

This is the equivalent of going into a Native American reservation with feathers taped in your hair and insisting they let you live with them.

Veeky Forums are the ones in the indian reservation one state over who don't believe this is happening because "well no one can get into where WE are, right? we don't need the infrastructure, we can always hide in our basements and play the same old games and never interact with the community at all! And when D&D 6e comes out and a natural 20 means you get to become the Dungeon Master, you'll say "well, that's none of my business, I don't have any right to determine what other people play!"

It's just the slang that developed for their website, Veeky Forums has the same kind of stuff you just don't notice because it seems natural for you from years of browsing.

>roasties and normies

It's pretty obviously satire, friend.

Only OP could be that much of a faggot.

They're trans-Veeky Forums. It's the latest fad among tumblrfags.

>And when D&D 6e comes out and a natural 20 means you get to become the Dungeon Master, you'll say "well, that's none of my business, I don't have any right to determine what other people play!"

And that will be the rational response, yes.

I don't even have a laughinggirls.jpg to use for this, but damn.

>I've been gaming since I was 11. Even at stores. The people there used to be kind and sober for the most part. The games had plenty of humor but they were far less dominated by these obnoxious autists. Hell, just look at the faces and dress style of the people who play games these days. Do you think they all just suddenly absorbed fashion sense, or do you think maybe something else is going on?

When I was a kid, teenagers wore SAFETY PINS IN THEIR EARS and had MOHAWKS LIKE A GODDAMN RED INDIAN and wore RIPPED CLOTHING WITH MUSICAL GROUPS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF and they refused to PLAY CHAINMAIL and insisted on their HOMOSEXUAL DUNGEON CRAWLS.

True story.

This is the worst thread I have ever seen on this board, and I was here for the Flare spam and touhous eating their own guts.

This is a bad thread.

You are projecting hard, my friend. And no, my life has never given me what I want. I stood up and took what I wanted. Doesn't mean I'm at all a successful person but I didn't sit on my ass either.

> Now that's no happening and you mad.

Not really, just disappointed because it's becoming harder and harder to find a decent group among the sea of idiots.

If you think it was always that way, then you clearly weren't around when gaming was more of a community than this vast horde of idiots who care about the hobby only because of "fun." Which by itself is not a reason to do something at all. Because there are a lot of things that are far more "fun" than RPGs.

I don't understand what you're saying. I don't want to call anyone a whore. But when you have such an empty life that the only way you can try to distract your boyfriend from a hobby game he is enjoying and finds fulfilling, is by dressing provocatively, that shows that the only value you have is your cunt. That is disgusting.

I've met plenty of women in the years I've been gaming, of all ages, and many were creative and intelligent. They certainly didn't have this ADHD entitlement complex that seems to befit the new female players where they think the game should be an attention contest.

The last game I ran involving more than one female player ended in such a tense and snippy atmosphere I had to guide it to an early death. I never had this happen 5 years ago when I ran games.

>I don't have any right to determine what other people play!

I feel like you were going to make an actual argument, but then your post ended here.

And Sergals, and Unified Setting, and that one guy who made a shitty homebrew about hogwarts but with guns, and the grill furfags, and...

Still not worse than Jim, though.

>touhous eating their own guts
Oh man, I had completely forgotten about that guy.

You're a shitty consumer and you are the reason companies make shitty products. To pander to loud idiots and quiet smart people.

Tell me, do you like that hypothetical nat20 mechanic I outlined?

>call people whores
>I don't want to call anyone a whore

really makes you think

>Your fallacy is that that and OOTS were mostly read/played by people who were already in the hobby.

For what it's worth, OotS is what pushed me to finally go and start playing DnD. I'd had an interest in it for years, but my parents would refuse to let me do anything like that (not for religious reasons but just because they are judgemental assholes who didn't want me doing nerdy stuff).

You sound like a cuck.

And those people were just fine. I know you're trying to make some "old generation always hates the new generation" argument but if you want RPGs to be turned into a cheap, crass method of entertainment and be nothing but "LOLOLOL I GOT A NAT20 ON MY SPELL ROLL I SUMMON LITERAL GODZILLA" for all of fucking eternity, then at least come out and say it. Say that RPGs will never be a somewhat-interesting method of making a story, and that creative fulfillment does not even enter into your motivation for playing them. Say that you don't care if there is never another RPG book published against that you give a shit about, and the community you once enjoyed is forever gone.

Maybe you never go to your FLGS or participate in your local gaming community. If not, you are free to shut yourself in your basement for the rest of your life and play the same RPG forever. Fine by me.

mobile narrative control is neat

I miss the 4e touhou futa bait and switch stuff. I remember one time the uploader went as far to splice the first few pages of the actual doc in front. That was 10/10.

It was less a direct logical argument so much as a satirical exposure of why your attitude is shitty.

Not standing up for what you want just because "well it's none of MY business" makes you the most pathetic human being in existence, Chamberlain.

posting the same thing twice isn't fooling anyone, user.

The thing you want is bad, I'm glad its dieing and I'm laughing that you're hurt about it.

Fuck your terrible thread and your terrible cunt life, faggot.

Then you are part of the issue. I say that having enjoyed FATE, by the way.

That's cool, user, but it's really only one example. And to be fair, you likely would have ended up playing D&D eventually anyways, if you had an interest in it.

My point is that BBT is drawing in people who have never even given a shit about D&D before.

I, too, can use MsPaint.

grow up

>The thing you want is bad

And why is that? Actually enjoying something of value is stupid when you could exploit it for a few cheap laughs and turn a unique medium into the same boring drudge as everything else? RPGs aren't the most fantastic thing ever, but you sound like the kind of person who'd burn down a bookstore and replace every shelf with copies of Fifty Shades of Gray and Twilight.

Yeah, I know it exists in one way or another in every community, but I find this particular form of tumblr talk to be particularly irritating. The kind that they use whenever they're telling a fake story but they want you to believe it

Yep. People who say "cuck" are definitely the ones whose opinions I respect

Let's run with it. The is indeed a culture war user! Only you and the brave oppressed noble savages on your DnD reservation can hold the objectively true ways that are coincidentally the ways you grew up with! The sjws are coming for you and your games, forcing you to know other people are doing thing differently than you and playing while wearing burkas! Their commitment and interest in gaming isn't as HRDCORE as you!

Only thing to do is shoot up a flgs and cleanse the taint I guess.

>I, too, can use MsPaint.
I can't though.

I swear threads like this are the worst.

It's like there is 0 middle ground for you fuckers.

So you are the one who posted them and used airplane mode? Nice try.

No, dumbass. I know you're not serious but your post is trying to show there is no solution to this problem I am outlining. But there is. It's called, stop falling for the Geek Social Fallacies that make you dumbasses think that you have to be kind and accepting toward everyone no matter what, and that social ostracization is the worst sin to commit short of murder.

There is a middle ground, you're just too busy supporting the corruption of D&D's fanbase to even ask where it is.

Bit like fencing might be more fun if you allowed firearms, but if you want to play with guns why bother fencing?

>There is a middle ground, you're just too busy supporting the corruption of D&D's fanbase to even ask where it is.

That was my first post in the thread, where did you get the idea of what the fuck I support?

>I will take no action; I will make no decision; I will simply accept whatever is given to me.
>...and I call this 'rationality'....
Y-you make a lovely slave, user. We thank you for your lack of effort.

The fuck are you talking about? You can't post in airplane mode. Are you suggesting that I made both posts by disconnecting in between to reset IP? Did you miss the part where posted a non-mobile screenshot?

Your next move is to suggest that both posters are merely a single poster using a desktop and a phone. You will continue to yell samefag because, in your delusional mind, it is more likely that someone is going through a bunch of effort to samefag than it is for 2 out of the 30+ posters here to think this thread is bad. No amount of evidence to the contrary will ever lead you to acknowledge that multiple people might disagree with you.

This.
Now we're starting to get somewhere...

Not him, but what stops you from playing a different game, though? The one made by smart people, for smart people? Pandering to the idiotic masses isn't anything new under the sun.

>I'm the middleground!
>acceptance is tyranny!

kek. There's nothing wrong with social selection. You're just not being selected anymore.

>bad guys move into your neighborhood
>throw up hands
>"Guess we gotta leave our home, now, find somewhere else to live."
Why do you choose to be weak, when you could be strong?

>tabletop games that can effortlessly be forked and customized to your pleasure
>comparing the situation to "bad guys move into your neighborhood"
No, user, you are the retard.

>I-I'm just pretending to be stupid by moving the goalposts...
>I-I'm not back-pedalling at all.....

You don't have to suck to be here.
I mean I don't suck.
I don't suck, right?

>moves goalposts by carefully re-imagining the discussion
You seem to have forgotten what we're talking about, user - a-are you ok?

I haven't even participated in the discussion until the post you answered to.
What's to stop you from NOT moving on to the next edition? Will the corporation send a deathsquad to your house for violating a clause in the Terms of Service for not using the Latest Edition (TM)?

Hell, why do you even about others' absolutely arbitrary norms and their opinions of what you do?
I'm gaming with my group and I've never had a single problem Veeky Forums keeps whining about. Why? BECAUSE I DON'T CARE ABOUT SHIT THAT HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF MY GROUP.

Same. Hilarious hijinks usually follow.
>Created Barbarian/Rogue Half-Orc
>Gorgoth "The Not So Sneaking" Rogue
>Other friend rolled with Human Ranger
>Tasked with collecting eggs for potion
>Eggs are in swamp, guarded by wizard
>Decide to leave for quest
>It's night, and there is a curfew
>Try to sneak out of city on horses
>DM ask for stealth rolls for horses
>Keep rolling 15 and higher
>Ranger keeps rolling below 10
>Nickname Horse "Cotton Hoof"

>Managed to make it out of city
>Head to swamp to collect eggs
>Find traps littering the nested area
>Roll atheltics to jump over traps
>Roll over 20
>Hulk jump over traps with ease.
>Ask DM what type of eggs they are
>Told to roll nature to see if I know
>Roll a 2 on survival
>Gorgoth says they are unicorn eggs
>Ranger rolls nature check
>Rolls just as bad as me with advantage
>"Yep definitely Unicorn eggs!"
>Ranger just as retarded as the Half-Orc.
>Find out later they are dinosaur eggs
>Have to fight some dinos later on

Die.

user, read the whole thread: this discussion is about what happens INSIDE YOUR GROUP.