How do you develop the cultures of your world?

How do you develop the cultures of your world?
What proccess do you use?

>Make map
>Put Nations and City States on map
>Campaign always starts with all adjacent entities in conflict
>Decide what each individual conflict is about
>Decide why each side is fighting for said thing

Usually thats enough to decide that matters to a certain group and it helps define the different peoples in my world.

But sometimes I always write down; the perception of others of this group"
Because i think it can help to say "what do people in the setting thinking of X"
Then you can say, yes they are being presented that way, but maybe there are interesting reasons beyond the aforementioned conflict for why people see them that way, or maybe you subvert it and the public perception is incorrect.

If you wanted to go really far, you could make a matrix of every group, and write down what each group thinks of each other group.
Because it not only helps define what a group is like due to how others think of them, but it also helps define how a certain group thinks.
Maybe group X is super Xenophobic, so their perception of every group in the matrix is negative. Or w/e.

I blatantly steal from existing historical cultures. Not really, though, but I look at cultures that developed in the same kind of environment and try to figure out why it developed that way. Also borrow some of the aesthetics, which is course also very dependent on the environment. Then what doesn't work with this fictional culture, because it's inspired by things that only really exist in our world, will get extracted, new things added that are part of my world, until I get something that I can call "original".

Take a whole bunch if references and real world stuff then make them have sex, abort the baby, and resurrect it with necromancy

Start from the absolute beginning. Develop a realistic (ish) map with believable rivers and mountain ranges and the like. Think about the wind patterns, erosion, et cetera and how that would affect the climate in certain areas.
Once you have that, decide the origin of life in your world. Was it intelligent design, or did it evolve? Then move from there. How do people spread, what groups end up where? Because you have a thought-out world they're living in, you can develop their cultures organically. You won't have Roman-style architecture in some taiga bereft of good building stone. Here's where you can get creative: You'd more realistically have something like Russian or Nordic style wooden architecture, but maybe some fantastical plant grows in this region and the inhabitants make use of it in their architecture. Then from there, how does this affect their culture?
It can be helpful to have several world-building 'phases'. After you've done the geography and initially seeded the cultures throughout the world, decide on some major events that happened that mixes things up. It could be mundane like a famine, or fantastical like the introduction of magic or invasion by demons. Think of how it affects people and what they then do. In our history, the Völkerwanderung (the Wandering of People) is thought to have been (at least in part) caused by the Huns and the cooling of world temperatures, pushing the Germanic tribes directly in to conflict with the Romans and resulting in the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the origin of Germany.
So, in a similar manner, your event pushes groups around and mixes up the order of the world. Perhaps humans are forced from their frigid northern homes by the growth of the frost giant empire or whatever and flood into Elven lands. Then think of the implications, perhaps the Elves have a revanchist streak and want to take back their land? Maybe the humans forced to move integrate Elven practices?

A combination of random rolls alongside my own ideas mixed in with stuff the players interprete when they're cool ideas.

>desert colony on a mining world
>water is the most expensive thing a local will buy weekly
>terms like "worth his '60" replace "worth his salt"
>water worship is also seen as stupid, its something you need to survive, not a deity
>tampering with aquefiers gets you a death sentence and all bodily moisture industrially sucked up for use

That is one of the things I often find to be lacking in sub-par fantasy. The world is 'one-phase', all the cultures/races were plopped down where they are now, and there's no change in their history.
It can be cool to have some places where X race has been in place since time immemorial, but also have places that have changed hands many times. Humans building a civilization on top of the ruins of an Elven kingdom, or some 'raider' culture conquering a rich country and becoming its rulers, for example. These sorts of events could spice up a world where 'this is kingdom XYZ and has always been kingdom XYZ, this is where orcs live and has always been where orcs live, et cetera.'

Additionally, it's critical to think of what materials are available. What plants, animals, crops, building materials, etc? A culture is almost always a product of what is available to them.

Finally, make sure you're not making even group monolithic. This is one thing that really triggers my fucking autism. Having all Elves be like other Elves and all Orcs being like other Orcs is not very interesting. There should be a few racial traits they all share, but there shouldn't be a 'Elven culture'.
This is something I appreciate about Tolkien's Elves. The different clans are all at least somewhat different. The wood Elves aren't a whole different race, they're just a different culture/ethnicity of Elves than those in say, Rivendell, because they've been shaped by their environment.

>take existing culture
>exaggerate a feature
>mix in two other culture features
>smooth the whole thing over

This seems more like politics generation than culture generation, but it is decent for that
I feel as though this is a necessity to a degree, but it's really dangerous and you might end up with fantasy Japan and fantasy Germany or whatever. You have to be deliberate in your goal of creating novelty, which I think is a better goal than originality, though they are similar. I think instead of starting from life you should start from nothing and draw in inspiritions from life.
I tend to agree, too many world builders build to just fill in their map. I think people need to focus more on the history and adaptation of their peoples to create intresting cultures.
As for races WAY too much do people use them merely as an analogue for human ethnicities. Races should depart from humans in a significant inherent way so that their various cultures take of a different character than the settings humans, either because they have different needs, different life lengths, different ways or reproduction, or different magic or bodies. Something to make them "not human" other than pointy ears and wearing clothes from their monoculture.
I think this has a tendency to create flanderized cultures, because you end up filling in the blanks of minor aspects of culture not with something unique or intresting but with things just lifted from the real culture.

1) Make a generic fantasy map.
2) Drop the Balkans right in the middle of it.
3) Simulate 50-500 years of history.
4) ???
5) "When suddenly, the slavs arrived".

reddit

tumblr

Ever noticed how "reddit" ends with "t", while "tumblr" ends with "r"? You can endlessly combo the word-chain!

tumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblredditumblreddit

Oh yeah!

>not with something unique or intresting
>just lifted from the real culture.

Real culture is pretty unique and interesting. No point going overboard about how an entire culture is based around sucking off alligators, when you can just use realistic examples.

I have lots of ways of coming up with shit for my setting. its usually making things I like. My steppes barbarians are just Sean Connery from Zardoz with long black hair and big mustaches. I'm also a fan of coming up with history and peoples in a more natural way

I mean how if you think of a culture as "Vikings but fantasy" you're default stance is going to be copy dark age Norse, so all the blanks get filled in with that, you call the leaders Hersir and jarl, you use pseudo Norse naming, you make them pirates, ect ect until they become just fantasy Vikings

Cultures should be influenced by real ones not be real cultures warped by minor fantasy elements

It almost always starts with a character I want to make and their motivations. I created a number of cultures just from planning out the adventure of one character in my setting. Half-dragons can't exist in my setting, as dragons can't mate with humanoids, yet there are a few dozen of them around the world, defying logic. So I thought, "who created them?" and I created the character who did, and I thought, "why did he do this?" and I gave him a motivation, and then I thought, "what allowed him this egregious misuse of magic?" and so I made him an important part of his government to allow him the political sway he needed to get away with such things.

Then, I expanded upon the government, which in turn led to expanding upon the culture, and the surrounding regions as well. This is the easiest way I have creating cultures and politics. Though the former is very much a creation of a government rather than a culture, but in that case, it's a city-state that is remarkably different from the rest of the world, so the culture and government are a product of one another.

Except it isn't just one culture. You have a main culture and then a couple of minor cultures mixed in to create one new one.

Like you take the Vikings, as these barbarian-like raiders, but then take the Egyptian love of pyramids and the Mongolian love of horses to make a horde of vicious warriors who roam the world, raiding villiages and taking slaves to build massive stone structures to their gods wherever they go.

>People who ride around kidnapping people to build giant stone structures for them.

Literally Babylonians.
Except, you know, with stirrups.

Here's something from a recent thread.

It's about dorfs specifically, but most of it should apply to other cultures/races as well.

I have just used Rome from 3 different eras in my campaign.

The city state with the foreign kings admittedly ended up as a non-slavic Novgorod more than anything, but it's not like my players have noticed.

The Babylonians stayed in Babylonia. They weren't nomadic.

My nigga.

>cultures
Who cares?
Just throw some shit like theyre vikings but high tech
And people will eat that shot up anyway.

Stop wasting your time with pointless worldvuilding wank

>Stop wasting your time with pointless worldvuilding wank

But that's the best part.

t. guy who has spent the last 10 years on a single world, for shits and gigs.

t. Normie

Kill yourself

1.create Enviorment
2.determine Root culture
3.select migration reason
4.determine agricultural opportunities
5.determine other resources
6.monsters and gods
Things sort of create themselves when you consider this

>steal a bunch of RL inspiration
>twist it or over accentuate aspects of it to fantastic levels.
>add magic (depending on High or low fantasy level)
>Populate it with NPCs and factions
>See where NPC and faction goals collide and coincide to create allies and enemies.

niggers

Good post