If you wanted to wield a "the one ring" type of weapon, and are able to make successful will saves...

If you wanted to wield a "the one ring" type of weapon, and are able to make successful will saves, in what way could using it f--- you over?

>it slips off as someone makes a strike against you

The item will be chained on so it can never be separated.

I just want my character to punch Sauron in his stupid metal face, will calling him a motherfucker.

Thieving, pranks, perving and general niggary

>self-censors "fuck"
????
>uses "motherfucker" just a few lines lower
????????

Other people will want it. The allure of the mcguffin is too much for mere PCs

>chained on so it can't be lost

Sure, it worked great for Isildur.

Every time you use it, Sauron gets to know exactly where you are and tell his Nazghûl and other minions. This has nothing to with whether or not it's corrupting you, and you don't get to save against it.

It's also constantly sending out a psychic call to other, more weak-willed individuals to try and take it from you.

Not a loose necklace, but a gauntlet OVER the ring.

>Sauron gets to know exactly where you are
Good. I want that motherf---er to come to me.

>you don't get to save against it.
It clearly attempts to influence you mentally. You can roll for that.

>more weak-willed individuals
Weak in mind, weak in body. Just means more XP for the final tussle with Sauron.

>and are able to make successful will saves
hehe yeah good luck with that

>51947824
>Good. I want that motherf---er to come to me.
Good luck.
>It clearly attempts to influence you mentally. .You can roll for that.
No, you don't save against the beacon effect. In addition, you are tested with Reflexes (supernatural wiggling free effect, plus probability manipulation) and Fortitude (you get sick and go all evil like Gollum, lowering your stats and weakening your other saves). Better play a paladin.
>Weak in mind, weak in body. Just means more XP for the final tussle with Sauron.
Holy shit, 0/10 would not join party with. Barbarian hordes, sneaky royal stewards, various kinds of troll and orc, all sorts of shit will be coming after you. None of that is covered by your "weak of body" especially when the sneaky steward is sending assassins and false arrest warrants at you.
You're overconfident, kid.

No, I meant, you don't get any kind of save or check to prevent Sauron from learning exactly where you are. It just happens.

>Weak in mind, weak in body

Isildur was something like the third or second or so most dangerous mortal being on the planet (including elves) when he got his hands on the One Ring, and it corrupted him inside of...I dunno, how long do you think it takes to climb Mt. Doom? An hour or two?

>Not a loose necklace, but a gauntlet OVER the ring.

Gauntlet falls off then Ring falls off.

>Good. I want that motherf---er to come to me.

Sauron not only knows where you, but he also knows what situation you're in. In the middle of your army? Nope. Rubbing one out in the privy? Perfect.

>It clearly attempts to influence you mentally. You can roll for that.

Each roll is harder then the last and the Ring only needs you to fail ONCE.

>Weak in mind, weak in body. Just means more XP for the final tussle with Sauron.

XP? Nigger please. This isn't "Ring of the Super Mario Brothers".

This in the One Ring, faggot. Gandalf, a demi-god, is afraid of it. Galadriel, an immortal elf of huge power, is afraid of it. Tolkien created the Ring to be insanely dangerous and no amount of fedora tipping by a sperglord is going to be able to outwit it.

Pretty much this.
It shoudl slowly drain your will, or up the dc, or transform you, depending on what system you're using.

If it's meant to be a powerful corrupting magic item, you shouldn't be able to get around the draw backs.

OP, are you asking for ways to write a story where a character suffers negative consequences of using an evil artifact, or do you just want to jerk off your Mary-Sue who absolutely can't suffer negative consequences of using an evil artifact?

Probably the biggest way, and also the problem with the constant "lol why not just throw it in the ocean" meme is that Sauron didn't need to have the ring to win.

He was winning without the ring. Not destroying the ring means he wins.

Also, if I were DMing something like this I probably wouldn't let you use an artifact like that indefinitely on will saves. Probably make the will save harder each time to represent the creeping corruption of it.

> Tolkien created the Ring to be insanely dangerous and no amount of fedora tipping by a sperglord is going to be able to outwit it.

Well...see, you SAY that...

Gandalf was a little bitch. Yeah, I said it.

>you shouldn't be able to get around the draw backs.
You should with brute force and rage through it. Even if it devolves you in to only screaming Saurons name.

I don't want to jerk off. I want to be jerked off. Negative effects that can be plausibly overcome in the angstiest way possible.
>"SAURON YOU FUCK! I'M GOING TO RAM THIS RING DOWN YOUR THROAT!"

What would a fail save look like? Just become a wraith?

I like the point that no matter how insane or in a rage you are, if you're climbing Mt. Everest, things "cool" down. Screaming "FUCK YOU MOUNTAIN" only gets you so far.

So one way the ring destroys you, is that it plays off on your desire to destroy Sauron, and encourages you go without food or sleep to achieve that goal. You eventually pass out or wither away.

Then someone comes by and chisels the gauntlet off your hand and takes the ring.

It's heavily implied that Tom is literally a god (maiar?) and is on the same level as the best of them. He is also a slacker and a pacifist to the extreme, he's not going to fight shit.

Every time you use it, you get scried on by the big bad with 100% success. He then proceeds to send a very strong minion after you, which should be at least a boss level fight out of nowhere within several days of use.

If you fail will save a few times, become Chaotic Evil NPC, just like those shitty golem implant rules in 3.5.

>Well...see, you SAY that...

Old Tom wasn't a neckbearded sperglord.

Among other things, he was socially competent, his wife was a beautiful blonde woman, he lived in a bungalow not a basement, and Farmer Maggot actually enjoyed his visits.

>Old Tom wasn't a neckbearded sperglord.

He was a lazy fucker that perved on a girl way younger than him. He raised her from a child if I remember...
And the forest is the outside version of a basement. It goes attic > basement > woods. That's when you know you really fucked up.

Overconfidence making you accept risks way above your level. At some point, DM fiat would be used to railroad the character into his own death. "I can totally take the dragon's breath head on!" "pfft, a few measly arrows? they cannot pierce my armor" "yeah, I think I can make the jump".

>He raised her from a child if I remember...

You're projecting, neckbeard. The loli board is on 7chan, remember?

He first met Goldberry while she was swimming in the river, chatted her up for a while, and eventually convinced her to move in with him. That may seem impossible to you, but adult men do it all the time.

As for living in the woods, Tom lives in a house which happens to be in the woods.

>Not a loose necklace, but a gauntlet OVER the ring.
Wait, do you remember the opening battle sequence in the films?

A literal demigod is living with another literal demigod. Goldberry isn't even human.

>Goldberry isn't even human.

And yet wants to believe she was so he can claim Bombadil was a pedo.

She did the cooking and cleaning. So she was essentially his mom. Tom was a NEET.

>f---
underage please go

you realize that generally up until like, less than 100 years ago that was the main reason men wanted to get married, right? so they could get someone to clean and cook for them?

(and occasionally fuck them too, i guess)

>You should with brute force and rage through it. Even if it devolves you in to only screaming Saurons name.
That's a draw, at best.

>So one way the ring destroys you, is that it plays off on your desire to destroy Sauron

what version of lord of the rings did you read? because in the version i read that's the opposite of what it does

i mean why do you think frodo got so apathetic the closer they got? not because he was exhausted by his overwhelming desire to destroy the ring, but because the ring was sapping his will to do anything

>Gandalf was a little bitch. Yeah, I said it.
confirmed for didn't read the book