Skulduggery Pleasant RPG

Can Veeky Forums make an rpg out of this?

Honestly after some of the antics you'd think it was based around one already

Shit after thinking about how the dialogue goes it makes sense. Though does that make Skulduggery a mary sue character? Due to his magic prowess and edgy backstory (arguably)

Dunno, I've only read the first book and found it fairly dull and uninspired despite its premise.

I can see what you mean but the world becomes far more fleshed out after a few books. Derek was probably only mapping out the world book by book

Nah, because Skullduggery does have weaknesses, he makes mistakes, and there are many people who don't like him and even his own friends don't always agree with him And, maybe most importantly, he doesn't take himself too seriously. Just being powerful and having a dark backstory doesn't automatically make you a mary sue,

True though I have seen people argue that he's a terrible character because "he can fly lol". Personally I loved his character, undead and cool.

Not really.
The girl? Yes.

I figured that somewhat. Wanna elaborate?

>can master two disciplines of magic
>has an ebil personality who is the second strongest mage in the world
>loved by pretty much everyone
>Even when her ebil self gets seperated from her, she gets new even more speshal snowflake magic that nobody has ever seen before

All of these are valid.

Interested to see how powerful she'll be in book 10.

The Skulduggery books are campaigns ran by a first time GM who is kind of winging it

Skulduggery is a veteran of the system and has thus min-maxed to fuck and back
Stephanie is the GM's girlfriend

What about the other characters? this sounds good.

That'd explain why Skulduggery is a skeleton with a cowboy hat too

I mean, I'd argue that the same applies to Skull-man, except if you replace "loved" with "feared", and the last point which, yeah, is a bit BS but falls under "is the protagonist in a YA magic novel" - it may be a sarcastic as all fuck series that pokes fun at contemporaries, but it still mostly follows the rules.

I'd put it in the same category as basically all of Rick Riordan's stuff - sarcastic but still following the genre rules, pretty interesting worlds you could very, very easily make games for, and as YA novels they make good light reading, with decent amounts of comedy and drama. Riordan's less edgy and violent, but has a lot of lore and imagination backing it up.

I thought Stephanie being acknowledged as a pretty terrible person on several levels was nice though - there were no excuses when she acted out, and she got called on her bullshit.

Thank you for telling me about book 10, I hadn't heard

Make an RPG out of this

Well, China used to be That Guy who would always play a stupidly sexy female character, but he's matured and now plays her as a glorious bastard more than anything

Tanith and Gastly are both players that stopped playing for a while, then got awkwardly written back into the plot once they came back and Tanith refused to reroll even though she was now a spoopy ghost woman

Ravel is the "It's what my character would do!" That Guy

Solomon Wreath is another veteran like Skulduggery and just loves to troll Skulduggery and the GM whenever he shows up

Did Saracen Rue lose his character sheet and just roll for random things?

Also Tesseract would be a BS fight.

Rue is a DMPC that gets busted out because nobody will go the right way and he's like THIS GUY KNOWS THINGS

Same with Cassandra and the other psychic

Book 10 looks good

The Dead Men are all interesting enough characters to be players.

>Rue is a DMPC
this is actually canon, the author stated that Saracen's power is that he is the author avatar and thus knows the plot

Mutants and Masterminds is probably your best bet

Yep, though I agree with - the Dead Men are a party of 6, with a DMPC for occasional jogging along of the party. There's even a couple of guys who rotate in and out.

At some point Skullduggery's player finds out how to min-max really well, talks it through with the DM and "takes a break" stating up and playing this absolute monster of a villain for the DM - would work best in an online game I think

Yeah, looks neat.
Still find it amusing that Tanith gets so much shit happen to her because Landy wasn't allowed to kill her off in the first book