5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Eternal Flail Snail Edition
How do you bully your casters?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/5eg
strawpoll.me/12437607
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So that some day you'll finally go to the barracks and buy the upgrade from pikemen into halberdmen.

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

Reposting

Thoughts on these warlock changes?

>spells restore only at long rests
>after a certain amount of spells used (I was thinking equal to proficiency), the warlock must spend an entire turn to be able to cast spells again at the end of her next turn

How many slots per day should the warlock have? Do you like this change?

is nature domain worth it?
i want to bring back my halfling cleric from 3.5 but will probably change him from knowledge to nature
now that ghostwise is a thing i can start with 16 wis
planning on finding some cool exotic animal to ride while healing allies and disrupting foes

>what mount should i try to get?
(aside from the obvious flail snail)
>what cantrip should i get (i get one druid cantrip) was thinking about poison spray but shillelagh looks cool and i hear they brought back magic stone
>should i stay halfling or go dwarf?

Behead anyone who doesn't say 3.

>How do you bully your casters?

Hum, could traps that, the first time they are triggered, and by one person, are merely primed, and then go back to being inactive, be justified?

I want a genre of traps that are only there for picking off stragglers, like that one guy used shadow demons for.

>strawpoll.me/12437607
>strawpoll.me/12437607
>strawpoll.me/12437607

This time, with a 7 on the end so it isn't gibberish.

So, I've been thinking of making a Fiend Blade pact warlock using Mace of Dispater.

My goal is to ultimately try to have fun.
Is this a shit idea?
Should I just go "lolPAM TUNNELFIGHTER FIGHTER NOOB"?

New art from Tales from the Yawning Portal coming in.

>bully your casters
Enemies with poison arrows seem SPECIFICALLY for this.

No. Just no. Why would anyone pick a warlock under these rules?

>My goal is to ultimately try to have fun.
>Is this a shit idea?

Never change, Veeky Forums.
But in all honesty, it sounds fun af

Silence. There's no save, so the only way to escape it is to get out of the area, which isn't always easy.

Traps on a time delay are classic. So are traps located a little over 10 feet away from their triggers, to catch those probing around with 10-foot poles.

Dwarf is great, for weapon proficiencies!
Not as good for getting a mount though.
Tough decision. I'd consider how likely it is the DM would let you get cool animals to ride. He can't take away the weapon profs, but he can be a loser about making animals overly hostile or uncooperative (or not present).

Pick up Armor of Shadows and a single level in Monk, revel in your reduced MAD

>I'm a spellcaster of obscene narcissism and intellect who traded in my soul for immortality so I can continue to research the mysteries of the universe for eternity
>can't be bothered to clean up though
>can't be bothered to make some animated servants to clean up
>can't even Mending my fucking robe
Can't take a lich seriously when his shit's all ruined and gross.

Snag some armor proficiency or a way to have unarmored defense (a level of dragon sorcerer will do wonders) and you should be fine, now that the new invocations are available.

Sort of fell in love with the idea of someone wielding a nasty, fuck-off mace and can make anything huge and under just go prone with a hit.

PAM Tunnel Fighter is a meme.

It's literally just one opportunity attack on anyone that enters your reach. You're likely to have like, one or two scenes in a campaign in which you become death, destroyer of worlds. In most situations, PAM TF does nothing but give you a free attack against any enemy that comes into your reach. Against most enemies, that does nothing more than give you a minor advantage.

>How do you bully your casters?
By having more than one counterspellers.
By dispelling effects that have duration.

Yes, but no multiclassing, and ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO ROLL TERRIBLE STATS

You dont rely on short rests anymore, lets say you will have 6 slots at level 5, its basically the same thing right now if you rest 2 times

Dwarf Nature Cleric is a pretty solid early game (1-4) plan. You can get +con +wis, extra HP, and dump Str. Using Shillelagh as your Druid cantrip you have just Wis for your damage/spells, and free Con. Str doesn't matter since you're a dwarf, and can wear plate + a shield for big AC.

>naked man wearing an amulet and shooting magical bullshit out of his hand
This is either the world's worst Wizard or the world's worst Barbarian.

Rolled for stats, since our DM specified that we should do so this time around.
I can end up with 16str, 16 dex and 16cha if need be.

Might pick up Moderately Armored(I think it's called that) as my first feat to avoid delaying my second attack.

Thank you Dragon Maganon

the dwarf is hard to picture as a nature cleric and the only weapon i'd need is a staff if i grab shillelagh
however the nature cleric should have enough animal handling and spells to charm a monster as well as any ranger or druid right?

>Welcome, adventurer,
>to the world's first outdoor gay brothel!

And, finishing, 2 pages from the book itself.
The Tomb of Horrors section.

You're making warlock less unique, and honestly you should fix short rests instead.

No.

>All these people with their wrong opinions

It's a fucking shield spell

I love the map art for this one.

>mighty wizard full of arcane secrets and eldritch knowledge, capable of bending reality to his will
>ripped abs, pecs, zero clothing

AYY IT'S NOT JUST A FORGOTTEN REALMS BOOK

I know, but warlocks would still cast spell at their max level, still dont have multiple levels slot and I dont know how to fix short rests

>run Curse of Strahd
>replace mentions of the ancient temple to the south with stories of a long lost tomb of a great wizard
>replace Amber Temple with Tomb of Horrors
>place the vestige sarcophagi around the dungeon

Tomb of Horrors is a meme adventure.

Do you feel that the "gritty realism" rest rules (8 hour short rest, week long rest) regardless of their potential impact on the tone of a campaign are better for class balance in general, since few people accomplish the short to long rest balance that the design assumes?

The art for these looks great.

Hopefully this will do well enough for them to make more setting-neutral adventures.

Yes

It's a good meme though

Flail Snail is cute!
CUTE!
CUUUUUUUUTE!

No, because 7 days for a long rest is absurd. If you scale up a short rest to 8 hours, then proportionately a long rest should be ~3 days, which is much more reasonable.

They're all setting-neutral except for CoS, and even then you just have to bullshit some Dark Powers-esque entity/ties, dumb-dumb.

No, White Plume Mountain is a good meme. It does everything ToH wanted to do without being stupid bullshit.

From the previous thread:
Are valor bards halfway good? Not really compared to say lore bards (as I feel like lore is just the superior choice but feel free to argue that, it would help) but just in general, as I'm wanting to play one.
My big question is how fucked/allright are they in a melee? Like should they just stay out and use their two attacks for arrows or when they're cornered, or can they provide effective melee support while still part time barding?

That's the point.

The point is to be shitty and unfun?

I'm playing it, and having fun.

The way I flavor my Nature Cleric Dwarf is that he's basically a Druid, but less of a fruit pansy that explodes upon touching metal. More moderate.

You can talk with, and charm animals as spells, and can AoE charm with divinity. Not that bad. As long as you take proficiency in animal handling, and nature, and roleplay it you're basically 9/10ths of the Druid stereotype.

I don't think you know what setting-neutral means senpai.

No, not really, because while it makes casters weaker, it also makes barbarians a lot weaker while moon druids stay just as strong (stronger, even, relative to fighters and warlocks).

Not all features that regain on a short rest are exactly equivalent. Not all features that regain on a long rest are exactly equivalent. Much of 5e's ability recharges are, by the designers' admission, based on story impact and fluff over actual mechanical impact.

My biggest problem with traps is how they slow the game down as soon as someone triggers one. I would love to have a giant trap-filled dungeon but I'm sure it would devolve into a Tomb of Horrors 11-foot pole-fest. It sucks that they didn't address Detecting Traps at all.

Fuck melee. Steal swift quiver spell from ranger, use bow.

The fuck do you do for your entire week of downtime between every dungeon/subplot?

How would you fix two-weapon fighting?

Wasn't there a lich who managed to get sucked into Ravenloft who taught Strahd a shit ton of spells that he now uses in exchange for something or another. The whole wizard thing could work.

Carousing, crafting, and other living activities.

Not the fighting style, just the way dual wielding is completely gimped in comparison to bows/crossbows and heavy weapons.

So I assume your DM just never has any time-sensitive plots?

Role-playing. You should try it sometime.

>I won't be satisfied unless every city and location name is completely made-up and can just be bonked down in whatever empty field of nonsense exists in my preferred setting
Everything is setting-neutral. You just strip the names out and replace it with shit from your setting. Guess what, bitch, Storm King's Thunder now takes place in Pale, northern Nyrond, and Griff Mountain. Dragonbitch lives in the Flint Hills. We're fucking done here.

He does, which means every long rest has to be a serious consideration.

You can roleplay without being forced to do it for a week at a time. Then it just gets annoying.

Goddamn, your homebrew is getting BTFO user.

It doesn't matter how long the book says a rest is because the entire concept of time and events is entirely in the hands of the GM, he either lets the party take a rest or he doesn't, he decides that something happens during that rest or nothing happens.

New feats. It's fine without them, and shit comparatively to polearms/heavy/ranged/crossbows with them.

So you're basically playing bookkeeping: the game? Sounds like you'd prefer Pathfinder.

It works a little better on things that transfer damage over (even without the fighting style) as that extra attack means more. Rangers with hunters mark/colossus slayer can do a bit more damage (with colossus slayer if they haven't triggered it yet), paladins with improved smite can key off those extra d8s (though sadly they are about the only folks who don't get two weapon style), barbarian extra damage still goes onto it I'm pretty sure, bladelocks too. Rogues get a second chance to sneak attack if their first misses.
None of these make it great but I feel like they help rescue it a little. I don't feel that it's by any means unplayable.

Have you considered playing a heroic miniature wargame instead of a role-playing game, since you seem to find the roleplaying aspects annoying if they are too prominent?

user, I don't think a week long rest is a good idea, but you're being extremely uncharitable. There's nothing more bookkeeping focused about it.

>Tfw SKT doesn't work in Eberron because of giants falling even further than FR lore and dragons' roles being different
>Tfw PotA is really contrived in Eberron because of the way the planes work and easy communication putting a real damper on that world threatening countryside cult threat
>Tfw Ravenloft doesn't work in Eberron because the Sphere of the Three Dragons is isolated from all others, lest their world come to change them all once its revelations are shared

There's no reason Strahd has to be on a different plane. The original module never even specified such.

Can these stupid fucks stop reprinting old adventurers for a second and actually make some new content for the game? Barring the fact that only the laziest, most uncreative and boring DMs actually run published adventurers for any length of time, adventures are far better for third parties to create because they don't affect game balance. Whereas new feats, monsters, and classes would be great. Official ones, too, because homebrew is 90% shit and also is now RAW. Most homebrew is unbalanced garbage as demonstrated by what is posted here. So Wizards of the Coast might as well actually create some real content. Like, I dunno, a second monster manual? They could even rip off the thousands of monsters in 3.5's monster manuals which were excellent in concept, and reuse them. Bam. Easy cash. Most of the 5e players wouldn't even know what they are because almost none of them have played any previous edition thanks to the normie invasion.

>head off to the shop
>manager asks me why I'm wearing chainmail and a fake beard
>"The party took a long rest with a variant rule that makes it a week long. I'm RPing in my downtime. Uh, manling."
>tells me I'm out of uniform
>beat him with a fucking stick
>drain the water cooler into the sink, punch a hole in the top, and fill it with booze
>grunt at all the customers
>demand a reward for handling any of their orders
>take the office phone home with me so I can attune to this strange "Sending Stone"

I'm making a campaign map at the moment, and I want to know if there's anything you guys expect to find or think is cool in a D&D setting. I'm generally assuming all the core races are somewhere and have the same crunch, even if they might be a little different from the core fluff.

I'm shooting for a sort of classic feel with a few personal twists. That means I already have a northern mountain range where dwarves live in a pass, a southern desert/jungle, big tribe lands at one edge, a dark forest/swamp, and a spooky elven forest. Even some lost cities. Not sure if I'm missing something obvious.

Start with 15 in Strength, Constitution and Charisma, 8 in everything else.
Go Mountain Dwarf for dem proficiencies.
AT level 4, snag heavy armour training and +1 Strength.
At 8th, snag +1 Con and Charisma.

Then you're sitting in fullplate with 18 Strength, 18 Con and 16 Charisma.

After you can either chase the 20CHA or 20STR.

Upsides, Great AC, good bladelock stats, you've got a free hand for whatever I don't know flipping people off?

Downsides AC sucks until 4th, casting isn't great but your spell slots are for smiting bitches. Bladelock sucks something terrible either way.

I don't see how someone wouldn't get bored with roleplaying when it takes up 90% of play time.

Time-sensitive plots with week-long rests just leads to tedious bookkeeping and annoying management of abilities. You hardly ever get to use your cool shit because it takes so long to get it back. It unnecessarily slows the game to a crawl. I'm sorry you have to sit through that.

>dragonbitch is now something else
>giants are now something else
>who cares how the plane works, there's elementally-aligned entities who want to fuck shit up
>whoops knocked over the communication towers / no one believes your shit about the cult (because they've been compromised)
you need to get better at refluffing hombre

Are you retarded?

>Like, I dunno, a second monster manual?
What is "Volo's Guide to Monsters"

doesn't have manual in the title

>what is volo's guide to monsters

>actually create some real content. Like, I dunno, a second monster manual?
Volo's Guide to Monsters is literally that, fampire.

Yeah, I definitely recommend something like runequest instead of a role-playing game. You need something that condenses everything to combat.

>Volo's Guide to Monster Manuals
>117 pages of Volo talking shit about art styles, inconsistencies in creature behavior between versions and his own canon, wonky CR calculations, AD&D statblocks, and Elminster calling him a faggot

Don't bully your casters, at least if they're Diviners or Lore wizards. You might regret that.

Allright, /5eg/. Give me the best justified Quarterstaff build (meaning there is a reason not to use a glaive), stat!

What am I going to do in place of bloody giants, say the Lord of Blades has finished the Godforged prototypes and have Gundams attack the cities?
And there are no communication towers unless you mean House Sivis outposts are going silent, and nobody fucks with or outcorrupts the Dragonmarked Houses.

Old modules: Here's a site you can explore!

New modules: You're in a RACE against TIME to fight the BBEG before he summons Satan! j/k Satan gets freed anyway and you get to fight him!

Christ, I'm just grateful for once they're making actual fuckin dungeons, even if they are remakes.

And while new monsters are good, new feats and classes are of dubious value indeed.

Its called joking captain autism.

It just feels so weak in comparison to fighter with Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter. The average damage output of the 3 attacks with a d8 weapon is barely 2/3ds of sharpshooter or GWM damage. Hell even 2 attacks is typically weaker than just one from those.

GWM is with a greataxe and Sharpshooter is with a hand crossbow, +3 damage modifier to all. Numbers are broken into the cumulative damage for attacks. I added the third attack (from GWM if you crit or kill something) to show potential output.

>Level 6 Barbarian with Great Weapon Master = 22.5 - 45 - 67.5
>Level 6 Fighter with Great Weapon Master = 19.5 - 39 - 58.5
>Level 6 Fighter with Sharpshooter (Hand Crossbow) = 16.5 - 33
>Level 6 Fighter with Sharpshooter & Crossbow Expert (Hand Crossbow) = 16.5 - 33 - 49.5
>Level 6 Fighter with Two Weapon Fighting & Dual Wielding = 7.5 - 15 - 22.5

>have Gundams attack the cities
Yes, idiot.