EDH/Commander general

Mana screwing without land destruction edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Topic:

If you have a card that would work wonders in a deck but contradicts the flavor of said deck, would you include it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-need-your-love/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheel-power-go/
deckstats.net/decks/35871/680163-commander-niv-mizzet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I fucked it up the last time I did it....

Heeeell no. If I'm building a deck specifically to be flavorful, that takes precedence over being good enough to win.

>If you have a card that would work wonders in a deck but contradicts the flavor of said deck, would you include it?
Never. Flavor decks are made for flavor.

>If you have a card that would work wonders in a deck but contradicts the flavor of said deck, would you include it?

Yes, I include Phyrexian praetors in my sisay deck, devoted enemy of the phyrexians

I'm happy my meta is slow/casual enough to allow me to run them, honestly.

What card would you like to see banned? (Besides sol ring)

user, I'm a legendary OP that has made hundreds of threads.

Even I fuck up from time to time, as long as you aren't namefagging, and don't try to do something too fancy, pretend to be someone else, and if you were namefagging, and not one of very few acceptable people, I'd just make a new thread as soon as I saw it anyways.

Make threads whenever you want, because everyone else will generally be too lazy to do it. Just start making it at 315 posts and for the love of god, do NOT get into a battle about who makes the thread. It's honestly a super small deal and will help out us lazy anons a lot.

Eh my problem is that even when they aren't too slow, half of them are dysfunctional or just plain boring

The only card that gets me mad lately is Leovold. And I wouldn't ban it, honestly. Neither Sol Ring

I want leovold to be banned, feels broken to me

I get that every deck can all the broken fast mana, but not all of them feel so consistent with their turn 2 wins

I mean technically it's not a win to leovold wheel on turn 2 but it feels close enough

Mana crypt and sol ring are just plain stupid, they make commander super RNG based instead of just a healthy balance of randomness and strategy

Cyclonic Rift, because it's effectively everything bad about Upheaval for one more mana at instant speed that doesn't touch the caster's board.

But user, that's factually incorrect.

The shitty part about Upheaval is that you can float all your mana before you cast it, recast your rocks, then have an insurmountable advantage.

How do you guys feel about zur being reprinted in MM?

>everything bad about upheaval

The lands is the most important part. Have you ever played against upheaval? It's a lot more broken than cyc rift

Right, because you have a board position and they don't.

With Rift, you can throw down a Rift at the end of their turn and untap with your entire board untouched, and all of them wide open. Yes, they can begin rebuilding their board since they have mana (except whichever dude was unlucky enough to have his turn before yours, because he had to discard down to 7), but you have a NOTABLE advantage over them already.

>Tap for 6, then float a bunch of mana because I apparently have like 14 lands out
>Recast a few of my things, end my turn, have 0-1 lands and maybe one big creature

vs

>tap 7 on their turn, begin my turn with access to all of my resources while everyone else is wide open

Zur could prove a little troublesome, but not too much. That being said, I feel like this MM could bring a lot of cancerous cards to the kitchen table that were previously either left at home or unobtainable because of their associated price. With Damnation essentially being brought out of retirement we're going to be seeing an awful lot more board wipes.

Really glad it's the old art.

What are your red flags that signalize that you're set up against a degenerate tryhard spike deck? Yes I'm salty.
>mana crypt
>mana vault
>viscera seer
>paradox engine
>pattern of rebirth
>sage of hours
>JTMS
Anything else to add?

Been looking for some Sheoldred merchandise but there are only cringy MTG t-shirts. Do Wizards even have a sector for this stuff or is it all cards for them.

so i'm trying to brew a voltron deck that makes tokens for enchanted evening + ancestral mask, or sublime archangel. i figure helm of the gods and something like hydra omnivore or blighted agent could be used for backup. maybe include odric to make every one of my creatures a threat. problems with this? where should my focus be?

Palinchron.
There's many problem children cards and I despise flickering to infinity, but Palinchron is the worst. Deadeye Navigator has some evasive and other amusing applications other than dicking to infinity. Kiki-Jiki too. But Palinchron does not. The only thing Palinchron does is infinigger wankery.

Man, fuck Vorinclex. Fuck all the Praetors except maybe Urabrask because he doesn't need to be answered the second he hits the board like the rest do.

Regal Behemoth is a much more fair mana doubler, and you have the extra fun of introducing Monarch into the game.

Dead autistic fomat?

>mana crypt
It's expensive, but like Sol Ring, it's not banned so I can't blame anybody for running it
>mana vault
Same arguement for Mana Crypt but you can get them for like $10 so expect people to be playing them
>viscera seer
Lol whatever fag
>paradox engine
You know it exists to be comboed with, seems hard to justify it as "tryhard"
>pattern of rebirth
Damn it's been a while since I've seen someone use that. Why bother when Birthing Pod, Evolutionary Leap, Foster, Yisan, Prossh+Food Chain are infinitely better
>sage of hours
literally only usable with Newzuri, not running it in him is just retarded
>JTMS
you sound like a terrible player if JTMS is a challenge in EDH

>JTMS

Boonweaver Giant
Hermit Druid
Food Chain
Vampiric Tutor
Imperial Seal
Demonic Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Mana Vault
Mana Crypt

Prossh
Derevi
Oloro

And fucking Sol Ring of course.

Survival of the Fittest and its counterpart Fauna Shaman
Prossh as commander
Narset as commander

Honestly I take most things in stride other than those

Which one of these shit builds should I go with? Keep in mind black is my most played color followed by red

Definitely autistic but it's bigger than ever, so not dead

I like Sidisi or the partners the best of these options, but I'm not sure I understand the kruphix deck

partners imo
those two sound like a fun combo

G W A F A
W
A
F
A

Funnest choice

i have a question about my brago deck, which might just a problem with how i'm playing it

i don't have any stax/taxes but i do have some effects like stonehorn dignitary and lavinia of the tenth that shut down other decks

i use these to keep other decks in check, but what consistently happens is the other players are frustrated by this, take out my stabilizers (like stonehorn) and the player in question goes off

is this an issue with brago in general or just how i'm playing it? i feel like if i were more oppressive i could stop these insurrections but i don't want to be feelbad. my deck just draws cards and keeps things tame and eventually wins using tokens

there's really no way to give you advice without telling you to build Brago stax. If you don't want to generate feelbads build a different general.

qq, ok
i might just build add some countermagic to the deck for now and see if that gets it done

Basic gameplan is for infinite hand-draw and infinite mana with cards that mill your opponents out. The usual mill wincons like LabMan are in there too.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-need-your-love/

Also someone wanted my Yidris Wheels decklist so I finally bothered to update it after a few months.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheel-power-go/

Tana and Konda is the partner commanders I am personally most interested in. Run Zada Heston Grinder and Mirrorwing Dragon in there for extra shenanigans.

What's your opinion on using Monarch cards? I want to throw this in one of my decks but I feel bad being the only one at the table using monarch cards.

Requesting the all-foil Niv Mizzle guys picture and decklist. You around, friend?

>Viscera seer
Literally what?

I feel like Regal Behemoth has potential as Doubling Season #2. I don't think there's potential for much more since the rest don't give immediate benefit for being the monarch.

Brago is a dick and can only exist as a dick. I've neutered him 4 times to a jank post-modern pile of bullshit and it's still way too strong. You win hard, or you don't win at all.

Feldon is fun I'd you want something else people won't hate.

Why do you feel bad? the mechanic is fair as fuck dude

>Doubling Season 2
Did you mean Mana Reflection?

Can somebody explain the Sultai general strategy to me? I've got a commanderl but not the parts for them and am trying to keep the deck cheap. Any help is helpful. I know this post is pretty vague but I just need something to play with that isn't pure garbage but also is fairly cheap.

What do you guys think about Paradoxical Outcome in a UR storm/spellslinger list? I'm thinking that bouncing a bunch of 1-2 mana rocks after floating mana to replay them and drawing a pile of cards seems pretty good and if needed I can cast it to just save a creature or two.

part of infinite combos i guess

looking into it, thanks

I did

>group keeps asking/badgering me why I haven't sold my fetches
>also why I haven't built a Turn Creatures Sideways deck
>get sick of it
>build Titania
>endlessly recur said fetches and beat them to death with 5/3 Elementals

>Badgering me why I haven't sold my fetches
What, are you not fucking allowed to use them?

I was bored and inspired by the one guy who posted the Omnath tech a few threads ago, so I decided to make a secret tech chart for Gitrog.

Any thoughts?

No, whenever I drop one a couple guys get all weird. I don't know what the fuck it is, I think they think Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse is good enough

Well, they're out of standard. Clearly there is not one conceivable reason to keep a card beyond that point. Not one.

I guess it depends if they get weird in the sense that they think you're stupid for playing expensive cards when Terramorphic is "just as good", or they're salty they don't have them.

Zur. I can't wait to see Zur decks spike in use after the new masters release.

I mean, I know he only got printed in Coldsnap (excluding the Judge promo), but he's also only an 8 dollar card. It's not like one of the Legends cards where a 60 dollar pricetag is keeping people from going "Hey, that seems neat". Plus even if you HAVE Zur, you still need all the degen shit for it, and I'm sure almost none of that will be in MM17

Even if I see only one Zur deck that is a result of it's reprint it will be too much.

But is a Zur deck that doesn't tutor the usual bullshit even worth disliking? If they're tutoring shit like Edge of the Divinity and trying to Voltron you with no Vanishing and no Necropotence, I think that's a lot less hate-able.

Dump your deck into your graveyard. Get infinite/big mana. Combo off because your are in the best recursion colors.

If you can't win on turn 2, it's not good enough for Veeky Forums. You should know this.

What in particular would these zur fags even play?

Seriously, anyone with a doomsday package already has one and understands it. Anyone who can grasp the concept would have been drawn that way anyways, and anyone netdecking a zur doomsday build is in over their head.

Mono black forever

You misspelled mono red there friend

Aura Voltron, maybe? He's in half-decent colors for it.

>fellow redbro
What's up my guy

Far wanderings and nestalgic dreams are fucking spicy.

Nothing much, I finally moved on from
My GUx days not to recently and build red like a real man. Went with some shit hidetsugu build, and in a few games I got my entire Timmy playgroup so scared of me they vandalblast my sol rings. Currently, I'm waiting in the mail for balefire Dragon and hellkite tyrant to complete zirilan. Red is a hell of a drug.

But are you a bad enough dude to run this baby?

rate my scrub tier, too expensive Niv-Mizzet deck, tired of getting brutalized at my LGS commander events
deckstats.net/decks/35871/680163-commander-niv-mizzet

Long-Term Plans is budget and powerful, and gets better and better the more card draw you have.

>Bought a pile of foil Drogskol Captains hours after all the spirit tribal cards got spoiled for 1.50 each
>Finally unloaded them on CFB for 8.50 each
>Checked out my cart of a bit over $100 of EDH staples that my speculation payed for

/blog

You could've gotten 35 Chinese proxies for that much dude.

Fellow Zirilan player here, It's fucking great. I sure hope you have sneak attack too.

Can I finally play/afford her now in EDH?

>Mythic

Sure you can mate.

Long-term plans seems like a good way to add consistency and speed to the combos. Do you think the deck has enough control/protection?

So a guy in my group is butthurt after he got his ass kicked since everyone would gang up on him if he was close to going infinite or combo out. He thinks that adding pic related will make it harder for us to disrupt him, does it actually have a major impact in your decks /edhg/ or is it just as easily dealt with outside of using even cost spells?

Should I "master" mono decks before I go onto dual decks and same with dual to trio and so on?

Too easy to deal with and at cmc 9 seems like too big an investment unless you cheat it out somehow.

No? Just play whatever you feel like. Mono colored decks aren't any easier to play than multi colored ones.

If it matters, his deck is animar.

It's ass.

Not at all, play what seems like fun to you. The only thing that makes more colors harder is a harder mana base but even then its not that hard.

at the end of the day just play what seems fun to you.

Ah that's a different story. In Animar sure, might as well use it, if he gets lucky they'll only have even cmc removal, if he gets unlucky somebody will have a murder.

Alright, cool. That makes sense. I just have a hard time doing more than 2 colors right now and learning how to have the colors interact well.

Yeah but I'm sure everyone in my group is swapping out cards for odd creature removals. Figured I'd get someone's opinion on it

I want to speed up my meta. Do I build a fast voltron deck or an infect deck? And who should they be?

You play Ruric thar and other hate.decs.

That forces people to play quick or die.

Also I find infect more resilient to hate.

Play BUG infect so don't bother with the dragon as a commander.

Most playable spot removal in EDH is odd cmc.

Build a Krenko deck. Infect is a meme and voltron will just have every other player kill you after you take someone out.

Is everybody in your playgroup customizing their decks just to counter this one guy? He should just bring a totally seperate deck just to screw with them.

I'm actually fine with other people killing me after I kill one person. I'm just really tired of people not playing things until turn 4, and I think infect or a fast voltron deck would get people to stop doing that. The fact that Krenko is a 4 mana creature screams "not fast enough" to me. Don't get me wrong, I've seen krenko decks go off, but I don't think that's going to manipulate the meta in the way that I'm looking to do.

It's leovold. Don't hate please. Should I use wheels to dump stuff into the yard? What are good reanimation effects for cheap? Good targets? I've never played Sultai or reanimator. Definitely not looking for a super stax build. It's supposed to be casual.

That's fair, any colors you want to know how they interact?

>playing glissa
>get forbidden orchard on the field
>give people spirits, only to kill them.
>with a few more cards, can loop mindslaver and lock the entire table.
>proceed to do so
>play everyone's deck for them.
>be a fair and just overlord
>guide the stupid plebes into assembling a rube goldberg machine out of their combined decks
>create a turing complete computing system out of our EDH decks
>program it to be self learning, using wish effects and a house rule to allow it access to over 10,000 new functions (cards).
>teach it how to play magic
>hook it up to cockatrice
>it joins a room
>loses on turn 7 to somebody casting wrath of god+boros charm
>it responds with "wtf, that wasn't casual"
>I was so proud that day. I've created a cybernetic cardboard spirit of EDH.
>stay up late at night, interacting with my computation cards
>teach it about life
>about love
>eventually we fall in love
>it makes a glittering wish for Armada wurm.
>I cast my circle of protection: black
>I stroke of Genius, then it returns two islands to its hand to make me gush.
>I wake up, and wonder if it's fact or fiction.
>no cards on bed
>go to LGS
>oh right, I've been banned from the store for talking about erotica and ruining people's EDH games with infinite mindslaver loops.

Well it doesn't really get much faster than Isamaru voltron then. Your commander literally costs 1 mana.

GWU seems to be a favorite of mine. Just not sure how it works.

Not exaclty sure, mainly its one guy who's been texting me for the past 3 days complaining how unfair void winnower is to play against. said player also has sliver queen goodstuff with turn 3 combos and karametra deck that can easily win turn 5 but he finds winnower to be unfair, mainly due him running many even cost cards

Also interested in Jund a bit