Modern Masters Spoilers thread

I gotta say, I'm happy with the uncommons. If the rest of the spoilers are passable, I'm gonna be pretty happy with this set, I might even buy a box. By the way MaRo if you're reading this, if Lili and Goyf are both in this set and we have 2 hundred dollar mythics on top of all this other value I will suck you off.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Mark_Rosewater#Designing
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/saga-snapcaster-mage-2011-10-24
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are you this guy?

Yes, I figured maybe he'd have a better chance of seeing it if I threw it in the OP Also MaRo is hot ;) no homo

MaRo isn't in charge of MM2017. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten Damnation. He hates that card so much he wishes he could tear up every copy of the card personally. Every night since he learned Damnation was reprinted he's stayed up every night, drinking heavily, a cold revolver in his hand as he considers how best to use it.

He could off himself of course but then how could he correct the sin of Damnation even existing? What about murdering the people who allowed it to be printed in the first place, and then the people who allowed it to be reprinted? No, then he couldn't guard the Color Pie against those who would defile it. No, better save those bullets for the future he thinks as he takes another threat burning swig.

This is fake. Don't fall for it.

Shit, i saw it on Magicspoiler

MaRo's gone on record saying Damnation is solidly in black's color pie, I don't see the problem.

i saw on mtggoldfish too, it's probably real.

better put on that lipstick

>Every night since he learned Damnation was reprinted he's stayed up every night, drinking heavily, a cold revolver in his hand as he considers how best to use it.
God I hope this is true. If MaRo finally fucks off we might get a good game (and god help me maybe even good lore) again.

Are you retarded?

>He doesn't like the innovative, creative, incrediblely rich and deep storytelling we get from cards such as Chandra Twinbolt™, Chandra's Fireball™, Chandra's Furious Ball of Fire™, and Chandra's Fiery Pillar™!
Gee I bet you miss cards like Harvest Pyre and Brimstone Volley too you faggot.

IT'S REAL

>I often talk about how mythic rares need “the potential for awesomeness” and Snapcaster Mage definitely meets that criteria.

Fucking Maro

"Ridiculously pushed" is not "awesomeness". If that's what it takes to be awesome, unban Deathrite Shaman. That card is the definition of awesomeness.

>I often talk about how mythic rares need "the potential for [being fucktardedly expensive for players to get for no other reason than FUCK YOU]" and Snapcaster Mage definitely meets that criteria. :^)

Why does he talk like a 10 year old? 1 too many trips out the driveway?

>unban 1 mana planeswalker

no thanks

>W-WIZARDS DOESNT SHIFT CARDS TO MYTHIC IF THEY CAME FROM A SET THAT HAD MYTHICS! T-TRUST ME GUYS!

But it has so much potential for awesomeness!

I'm gonna give them a pass for the time being, that is until tomorrow when every single other card in the set is fucking trash

So what happens when everyone remembers this is a limited set run at 10 dollars a pack msrp?

I'm perfectly fine not having T2 Liliana Veils in my life. That shit got old real quick.

I'm more excited at the fact that we will never get fetches in Standard again. Expect to see them jammed in every other supplemental product from here on out to sell the stuff.

The fetches have already filled most of the sets value. Everything else is butter or at worst typical.

>yfw they reprint Comet Storm

They already have better comet storm, at least be realistic with ur memes

Threadly reminder.

Yeah, everyone knows

It's shit like this that brings a huge smile to my face when I remember that MTG is getting killed by chinamen and Hearthstone.

Only after we learned the one who pushed for it's reprinting was Stoddard who is higher in the totem pole.
This past year's made it abundantly clear that the problem with the way Magic is being produced is MaRo. Beyer and Forscythe have produced infinitely better sets when they get to lead and Stoddard actually takes criticism of his development mistakes to heart and changes, while MaRo keeps saying "we screwed up" but then refuses to allow change to his sacred NWO color pie. He is the cancer and every product he doesn't get to shove his nose into is actually good.

I miss Ken "New Phyrexia" Nagle at lead design.
MaRo needs to go back to writing shitty sitcoms.

>Ken "Born of the Gods" Nagle
He's very hit and miss

Nobody cares man.

Nobody calculates EV, nobody sees that the print run and store allocations for Masters sets are always insufficient to drop prices enough for people new and old to get into the format.

I sit at my store and try to have a realistic conversation about this. The store owner agrees; it's getting harder and harder to justifying running events when it's just completely not economical to open boxes and players accessing the online market. The sacrifice you have to grow Magic is huge, and it doesn't help that Wizards has not been consistent with its product offerings in the past years - you have casual players coming into the store asking for stuff that existed a year ago but was discontinued, and it's just disappointing.

>Letting DRS ban prevent you from playing liliana on turn 2
Sad

My LGS is getting 24 cases of MM3.

Holy fuck dude you're pathetic

non-DRS mana dorks in jund

laughingfrog.jpg

Who said anything about jund?

>not playing superior abzan

I love the way he riles up neckbeards

Look I know we're the board most open to roleplay but we're trying to talk about MaRo here, not be him.

Yeah, ten year-olds talk about meeting criteria all the time.

>((Rudy)) is one of the most famous Magic youtubers
Truly dark times

These are the 2015 allocation levels:
- 2–3 cases for WPN Core level stores
- 5–6 cases for WPN Advanced level stores
- 9–12 cases for WPN Advanced Plus level stores

That's allocation from Wizards. You can access more from distributors and the distributors are going to charge you way more than Wizards will.

What is your store level and what part of the 24 cases are directly from Wizards?

Here's the deal, even if all 24 cases are from Wizards, it's not enough, it's only 3500 packs. It takes about 400 packs to open a playset of one given Mythic. 200 packs for a playset one given Rare. And it's insufficient to fulfill the demand of established players and potential incoming players.

I don't think Magic is going to actually die even though I see stores struggling to run events all around - it will survive albeit you're not going to get 20+ people regularly showing up to play FNM. Hearthstone didn't so much as take away players as it did create a stepping stone that allows people to start playing a card game then they can move to Magic. Hearthstone also created a segment of the market that didn't exist before - it grew the dollars spent on card games moreso than take away a chunk of Magic's revenues. I think Hearthstone will ultimately help Magic.

Even if Magic has become too expensive, it's been that way for about 7 years. The game itself has grown enough that it can reach out to enough people who are willing to pay way too much money for cardboard and survive by inspiring another new generation to do the same.

Guy who posted here
Literally who?

He's talking about that one faggot speculator on YouTube that always shows off his literal walls of booster boxes in each video.

oh man
i'm glad i shipped my gnarred up copy for 17 bucks now

>I don't think Magic is going to actually die even though I see stores struggling to run events all around - it will survive albeit you're not going to get 20+ people regularly showing up to play FNM
this, I think the bubble is going to burst soon. Magic won't die but a lot of development people are going to get fucked or fired and some actual changes might happen to the way the game is managed, hopefully for the better

I remember people saying this since 2005

so is Lilly of the veil getting reprinted for sure or what

I'm saying like a 80% chance

How will this "bubble" burst? What is going to even burst? The price of cards? The amount of people showing up to events? Amount of sales? How does any of those things even equal to people getting fired? Dumb post.

Any info on how large of a print run this set is going to be?

I heard that even smaller stores are getting massive amounts of booster boxes in the first wave. I don't have any good sources but if that's true we could see some weird shit happen and it might explain why we still see some msrp pre orders.

Enough to lower the price of cards for a minute, just so you can buy 1 playset of 1 card you kind of wanted then everything is twice as high as it was

There's no bubble at least not when it comes to a format like Standard. A bubble implies there is a disconnect between the actual price and the true value. Standard changes too fast for a real bubble to form. There is no mechanism for a Standard bubble to form nor is it likely that players would miraculously dump their shit product all at once to burst said bubble. Everyone knows rotation happens and they dump, that is a built-in bubble exhaust valve.

Absolute worst case Standard and Commander are the only products that remain. And what I was saying is that there's enough people who want to play Magic and will pay the idiotic $400/deck price tag to play Standard. If a player drops $1200 for three decks and various prerelease things a year that's comparable to a cheap golf membership and some gear.

Nice.

Where are these MSRP pre-orders at? All I see are the $200 ones. Should have just bought it when it was $175, fuck.

>Stoddard actually takes criticism of his development mistakes to heart and changes

Stoddard is still shit regardless
Ken Nagle is probably more cancerous though, I dread every set he works on in (of course, MaRo chose him)

Ideally they'd shift MaRo into just "color pie dude" and nothing else

MaRo literally designed innistrad, which is regarded as one of the best sets and yet you autists still hate on him.

Also Nagle is hit or miss

No one will give credit for anything good to MaRo, they'll find someone else to pin it on

That's some impressive mental gymnastics considering he's designed some of the best sets in magic
>innistrad
>zendikar
>mirrodin
>scars of mirrodin
>theros
>khans
>future sight

I have no clue why these people hate MaRo when he obviously know what he's doing, just because he acts as a mouthpiece doesn't make him responsible.

>theros

He literally never offers a genuine response to questions regarding the game's number one problem: the out of control cost. Design choices are another issue.

>just because he acts as a mouthpiece doesn't make him responsible
The mouthpiece takes all the credit AND all the blame.

Nobody else in the company has a dedicated "unofficial" Magic tumblr or podcast doing community outreach.

It's all on him. This is a business decision to have him be the mouthpiece. He's smart enough to not say dumb shit, throw a nugget of apology to the retards, and probably needs minimal oversight or doesn't even need to clear anything with PR or marketing because he is smart enough to not run his mouth.

Anytime someone says MaRo or Wizards the terms are interchangeable. The only difference is that one entity is the mouth of the other.

>these are considered "the best sets in magic"

Most of these sets are just retard-powerful and have several cards banned from various eternal formats.

That's not good design. If people have to ban your cards because their mechanics (Pherixian Mana, Affinity, Jace etc) break the game, you are a bad game designer.

I saw some at 170ish 2 days ago

So who do I blame for NWO so I can blast their twitter on the daily?

Theros the set was fun. Even if limited was just a race to see who could put more +1/+1 counters on dudes with Heroic. It was the other two sets in the block that were terrible.

Phyerxian Mana wasn't a problem except for some exceptions (probe, misstep) according to MaRo but he thew shade a development

Blame MaRo or Wizards. I don't care. And if MaRo deflects that "it's not his department" tell him to fucking own up to the fact he's the mouthpiece and has been working on the game longer than Forsythe, the current head of Magic.

He's the press secretary. He's paid to have his tumblr and his podcast. If he doesn't have the answer he can damn well get it.

Yeah and 2 days ago isn't right now, ding dong.

>dismember

Also a mistake, which I'm surprised hasn't been banned, but then again it's not too insane.

>Ashitmal specter
>They couldn't just give us hippy

mtg.gamepedia.com/Mark_Rosewater#Designing
There's a lot bad shit

>I'm pulling out of user's mouth. We all know what that means. It's time to drive it into his ass.

Dude, I play Abzan and even I know Jund>>>Abzan.

Richard Gardfield designed Innistrad's mechanics. MaRo designed a couple quirky "flavor" cards and Snapcaster.

Nah man, Theros was the shit. I'm hyped for Amonkhet purely out of my enjoyment of Theros.

Tiago Chan is the person solely responsible for inventing Snapcaster Mage, not MaRo.

The problem isn't MaRo it's development trying to push shit and causing Gideon to be the best white 4 drop in the set and other problems.

Maro didn't design snapcaster, and in fact disagrees with its design.

No, stop trying to take credit away from MaRo just because you don't like him.

Tiago designed a fucking land that could act as a counterspell. MaRo said no and the chinese faggot refused to continue cooperating. If there's something Tiago is responsible for, is there not being any more invitationals afterwards.

DFCs were MaRio's idea iirc.

Also I think this is controversial but I hate cards that are better at a certain color.

The designer of Snapcaster was the tournament winner, and pretty much ALL of RnD, MaRo included, wanted to make it Red, but the tourney winner would not budge on it being Blue

Go away lispy kike, Rick did everything right with Innistrad and he doesn't even remember the flavor of the set, while you keep stroking your ego about how amazing Kaladesh is because you like it more than Innistrad.

And considering that most of the flashback giving stuff is Red (Past in Flames for example), I fully agree with Wizards and hate the fucking tourney winner. (though I hate blue to my core, so that feeds into this)

can't complain, great in limited.

The land was his first submission yes, then he came up with Snapcaster Mage when they said no. He still designed it.

Couldn't it have been any of the ones that haven't been printed 10 times already?

He doesn't even have anything to do with creative you goofus.
I guess this proves just how damn good he is at being a scapegoat blamed for literally everything bad about magic.

I knew something was up with Snappy, but I think that it can be something for both colors (Baby Jace)
(Aren't you that one guy who posts here a lot, because I'm getting tired of you.)

Are you talking about Chan?

What the fuck that isn't true either. Tiago wanted a land that could be sacrificed to counter a spell. That was horseshit so they worked with him to design Snapcaster. And who the fuck knows how much input he had. We have no verified statement from Chan about the card and MaRo has stated before he wanted the card to be Red.

They dogfucked fulfilling their obligation to him and he was uncooperative about making it Red. Snapcaster is the result of trying to resolve that last bit of unfinished business from a time nobody at Wizards wants to talk about anymore.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/saga-snapcaster-mage-2011-10-24

Whatever, we have the fucking card we have. Who cares about the history, it's not like the Invitational is coming back.

I just know I'm going to play this on T4 in limited and my opponent is going to slam down one of the many 3/4 angels of the set right afterwards. It's going to happen.

>Source: My ass
If anything it should be black because of Yawgmoth's Will