WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

Hey you, user. You're gonna do great work on that project you're about to start or are already working on, I just know you will! Edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

color.adobe.com
youtube.com/watch?v=H7OzcOSE4QU
youtu.be/LMOTmOchKyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Xxm7Y0IJ10U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What bits are ideal for building a shoulder mounted gun, either firing over the shoulder (see: Predator) or a harness hooked into tbe armor (see: Doom)? Got a decent chunk of Mechanicus dudes in power armor who'd likely want their shoulder guns going while they worked with their hands. And the latter just looks better for Devs.

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
That mega is down

Swigity swooty, coming for dat biomass.

How do I do nurgle bikes without just being CSM bikes?

Forest tau guy from end of last thread here, I done a drone.

How can I improve this scheme? Mostly tried to focus on brush control and T H I N N I N G M Y P A I N T S with a dash of weathering thrown in for shits and giggles. Trying to go for a beaten-up look with this army.
Also, how do Sept markings work?

needs highlights on the green parts.

I've seen some people use Ork bikes

Thanks for the feedback, user. I'll have to go and figure out what colours to use. Any recommendations for highlighting on castellan green?

So I snagged a Forgeworld Avatar of Khaine free in a bundle with a bunch of second-hand stuff I found online.

It was free because it was broken though, and while I've put it mostly back together it was missing both the ponytail and sword. I don't care much for the ponytail, but I really need a replacement weapon for him and can't figure out what to do for it.

Does anyone in /wip/ have any ideas? For reference he's about 4.5" tall.

Make him a power spoon.

Recently finished this commission for a friend. Still working on the eldar chick with cat and dress.

Got a few questions. What vallejo color would be good for Sa'cea Tau? I was thinking Somber Grey, but it doesn't seem blue enough. Also I fucking hate oval bases, so would it be okay to use a circle base of an appropriate diameter (riptide or ghostkeel for example)?

I already have two standard deffkoptas, but want to include a third in the unit equipped with a buzzsaw. I want to do something special, converting him to look like a mekboy (as per the original deffkopta rules, where mekboyz were unit upgrades). How can I make his ride look suitably wacky? What's the craziest deffkopta conversion you've seen?

I dunno user, spoons are usually 6"+. A weapon that large might look silly.

Give him a chef's hat and a comically oversized spoon. Your new mission is to make an Eldar army themed around the path of the chef.

i mean he's already culinary themed, he's pretty
fieri

I'm going to have to make my own out of plasticard. I want to make them out of blightkin variants like these but making them and positioning with greenstuff is going to be a pain in the ass. Scratch building 10 custom nurgle bikes.. Suffering

user, that's absurd and I can't believe I didn't think of it myself

Do it, user. I believe in the avatar that believes in your cooking skills.

Not related to your question, but you mssed some fairly large gems there, mate.

and after you're done with that, an Initial D ork army
DO YOU LIKE
MY WAAAAAGH

Pls user, that's thinking a bit far ahead. I'm still busy figuring out how to fold a tiny chef's hat for him.

and i'm tryna figure out what colour to make my Shas'Ui and Shas'Vre bits.
and to convert some gue'vesa in a bit once i can afford to grab a cadian command squad
also how the hell do you highlight castellan green it's almost as if i'll have to go ask someone at GW

holy shit
don't cry for me, user, my sides have ascended to a higher plane
my trip to Khaelatown is over

Is buying an airbrush solely to prime and basecoat miniatures a silly and expensive ideas?

Depends, user. Do you think it's silly? If the answer is no, it's not.

Just noticing them now. Thanks!

If you're the forest Tau guy you should consider a drybrush of a slightly lighter green. It'll give the green some definition and it's a far less clean look than an edge highlight.

needs a bit of this worked in

thanks user, really want to steer away from things being overly clean with this army

I'm thinking of doing a pre heresy Death Guard army with bikes but make the bikes White Scars MKIV outriders that are really grim and dirty looking, the story behind it being all of them were pulled from the warp but the Scars were effected differently and turned to husks essentially. Might make the chaos lord and sorcerer Death Guard on scimitars but effected by Nurgle. Does it all just seem lazy?

>here's a complicated and contrived story for my non canon attempt to give death guard jetbikes
>somehow in pre-heresy times the warp is causing problems
>is it lazy?

jesus.

I think I'd just have to go with plagued White Scars, lord and sorcerer as well. The Eisenstein was sent through the warp where all of the first plague marines were created, is it that hard to believe the Scars board ships on bikes?

I'd assume they'd board using small fighter craft or boarding pods which would essentially feel like riding into battle. Ships are big enough for bikes sure but generally boarding requires slow breaching of each section so speed isn't that neccessary.

Got some second hand plastic minis that are put together with a yellowish glue (probably urethane based?). Currently soaking them in super green for the next week. If this doesn't work what should I try next?

You're telling me they don't have breachers full of bikes

Freezer, then should fall apart easy

Sonic cleaner.

Works like fucking magic.

Trying something I haven't done before for the reds on this drake

R8 muh nids
What color should I paint their claws?

It looks like jelly. Also, don't mix metallic and non metallic in the same paint water. It gets the shiny stuff in everything.
Ever think of just priming in red or priming in white and spray based red?

Its that red gemstone citadel paint, it doesn't look gelatinous in person honest.
Also if the red looks like it has metallic bits in it, that's because it's translucent and painted over metal

Colour Theory help! Or just opinions

I'm painting my Stormlord here and the fuel Barrels on the back (number highlighted) need painting.

what colour would work well, I was thinking Red but thought that would contrast too much, maybe thinking Black, or keeping it the main tank colour?

(Which is Army Painter - Uniform Grey)

Help / advice / suggestions welcomed.

I don't really like the scheme, far too dark for my tastes. And everything seems glossy too.

good concept mate, but just do yourself a favour and buy some Tamiya Clear Red.

It's superior.

dull, maroon red

Fuel drums have to be red. It's the law.

Fuck this thing.

There were a lot of mold slips and shit was warped and misshapen that warm water couldn't fix. I had to pin a claw, and white frankly I'm afraid as soon as I set it down on its own legs it will shatter into a million pieces.

Actually, it didn't. I just tried. I'll take that small victory.

I have to glue a few teeth that broke off the bottom, but I'm done breathing in fumes for now (yes I wore a mask). Then there's the 40lbs of green stuff I'll need to use to plug the many gaps present, which will be fun. I wonder if I can just get a bucket of liquid green stuff and fucking dunk it in there.

Having said all that, I fucking love it. She won't be winning any modeling contests because there are many flaws, but this was my first time working with both resin and chinaman. I think I did all right.

Fuel barrels NEED to be red.

>chinaman

Took me til here to realise you got what you deserved

Thank you kind anons

If it's any consolation, I got it off ebay.

Also, I'm sorry I can't afford $100+ models from forgeworld.

do fuel barrels explode because they're so red that they go too fast for this universe

I'd recommend painting them in a bone or dull orange (bone is just desaturated orange), it'd make a pleasant contrast with the blue-grey. If you plan on dry brushing some highlights on the yellow I'd recommend bone for that too.

Here's a great free colour wheel for you to play with: color.adobe.com

>red gemstone citadel paint
Is this any good for gemstones? I've heard mixed reviews.

Would blood for the blood god work just as well? I don't want to buy paint just for some lenses but would consider it so I can do soem blood effects as well.

Wonder how many order FW will fuck up for you to realize the quality is inferior and any opinion you give to that comparison doesn't levee the price tag.
>muh wasted monies
youtube.com/watch?v=H7OzcOSE4QU

Something else I'm working on to give you an idea of how it looks for stones.

Not unless you add something else to it. BftBG dries on matte not gloss

thanks, it appears like it is fairly seethrough so I thought it would work just a thin coat over white in a lens.

I tried to make the carapaces look sort of like the shells of beetles. The glossiness is intended for added sort of shiny effect. I used the nuln oil gloss shade on them.

Slowly surely this old Rhino and a pile of bits is turning into a Scorpius. If only any bits store would restock on Land Speeder Vengeance bits so I could buy the turret to get a MkI style open turret design.

Hey /wip/ nearly finished with this assault squad. Need to do eyes, metallic/blue highlights, and the power weapons, but I'm overall pretty happy with how they look.

Comments & criticism very welcome as always.

Looking good. What did you use for the exhaust tips? They don't look like the original MKI.

Good gods that model looks baller

git gud nigger. Model is perfectly fine, you just cannot into resin. Bend that shit back into form.

Not if you're in it for the long run. Rattlecans are expensive for the amount of paint that comes in them.

>What did you use for the exhaust tips?

Leman Russ exhaust tips.

They look pretty nice so far, I like it, waiting to see them finished

At least admits to being a poorfag. You're just a faggot.

Quality control these days is not bad, and even if you get a miscast piece, they will get a new one to you with express delivery asap.

>BftBG dries on matte not gloss
.... No?

You're right that I can not into resin. This was my first experience, but I did attempt to bend it with hot water. A lot of it was pretty fucked, though.

Some more progress

>2017
>working with resin
>not owning a heat gun
mfw

Or fucking blowdryer. Or a water cooker to soak the resin pieces into hot water.

Does anyone have good guides for paining zombies?

Skin tone, cloth etc, what paints and washes should I use etc.

Idiot friendly, never had a pain brush in my hand.

youtu.be/LMOTmOchKyQ

The green inside his gun looks disgusting in just the right way.

The black wash looks like its pooled too much in a lot of places, try multiple thinner washes over the model and rehilight after if needed.

That's I've already seen this

youtube.com/watch?v=Xxm7Y0IJ10U

but I guess I wanted something more like the vids from warhammer tv

Where did you get those rocks?

Be more specific in what you want, but also stop being scared and needing step-by-step babying and paint some damned models.

it looks like cork.

Outriders aren't even jetbikes.

They're literally the only non-jet bike in 30k.

I bet Khaine could wip up some mean stew.

I guess I'll do a detailed plan of what I want to do when I get all the minis and ask around here.

Attack bikes?

Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to finishing them.

This user's right. Bits of 2mm cork torn up, then I roughed up the edges with a hobby knife. Mech Standard Grey, Nuln/Strong Tone wash, Uthuan Grey drybrush. Must be effective if you thought they were real rocks!

Best light grey/white spray primer?

Painted this mushroom fella last night, hoping my power wasn't going to go out because of the storm. Left the moldlines & all that since I'm lazy.

Paint is thicc
Varnish is thicc
No contrast between the carapace and flesh
3.5/10

Working on this one, gonna be a little grey fungi.

The paint isn't thick, nor is there any varnish on this thing, just a shade of gloss nuln oil.
>No contrast between the carapace and flesh
Should there be?
Personally, I find color schemes like that of Hive Fleet behemoth and leviathan looking butt fucking ugly because how different the skin is from the carapace.

That paint is so thick you could use it as superglue.

What feedback are you even wanting? It looks like you slapped metallic paint on it, threw a wash over it and then left it that way. Other than telling you the colour scheme looks shit we can't do shit for you.

By what fucking ass blasted logic is the paint thick on that?
The metallic paint I used on the carapace is fucking meant for airbrushes.

>What feedback are you even wanting?
Something more constructive than the shit you are spewing.

> It looks like you slapped metallic paint on it, threw a wash over it and then left it that way.
No, I painted the carapace first with a mix of valejo metallic blue air brush paint and abaddon black, then added the blue hues of just the valejo airbrush paint, then I applied a nuln oil gloss shade over it to darken it down, and finally added some more of the metallic blue to highlight the thing.

> Other than telling you the colour scheme looks shit we can't do shit for you.
The color scheme being shit is just your opinion.

Oh right you're one of those special snow flakes who thinks because he bought the most expensive paint he could find that it would already be perfect for painting with. If only people who airbrush constantly thinned their paints and had a product to do it.

Your colour scheme is shit, it looks like a 12 year old's first space marine army. It doesn't work and it looks like some of the images people post here as examples of how not to paint models.

It works nicely for Gemstones. The darker the metallic metal you use, the darker the effect you get. This was done on Ironbreaker if I remember correctly.

Feed not the trolls.

I think it looks a bit weird though, like it has glitter on it? Maybe it's just the camera.

>metallic paint I used on the carapace
So, that's why it looks shitty
also, git gud and learn some color theory.

I have used them for lenses as well. For the lenses on this Scion I carefully put some (unthinned, but not much on the brush) over some Balthazar Gold, then carefully put some Ardcoat over them.

Dusty ass model, and a terrible photo, but the gemstone paints don't photograph well without lots of light.

I use them on the arm computers as well, and it looks fine, but I probably wouldn't want to use it on anything all that large or smooth.

No, he used metallic paint

>The color scheme being shit is just your opinion.
Not true. Color theory and Aesthetic Philosophy, two things you need to know, whether aware of it or not, if you want to paint well.

Forgot pic, it's kinda significant

Tip harder faggot.

Unless you paint it on thick, it does not gloss. Thick gloop for visors is an awful idea

>Oh right you're one of those special snow flakes who thinks because he bought the most expensive paint he could find that it would already be perfect for painting with
Nice strawman.
No, I used the metallic blue, because it was the color I wanted to use, as I wanted to emulate the way shells of beetles look.

>Your colour scheme is shit, it looks like a 12 year old's first space marine army. It doesn't work and it looks like some of the images people post here as examples of how not to paint models.
Nice opinion.
You haven't actually explained why it is supposedly shit or why it doesn't work.

Yeah, because of the metallic colors, light reflects very strongly of the carapace, making it somewhat hard to get a decent picture of the thing. I tried to get one with different lighting to see if the result will look better.

>muh color theory
Not an argument.