>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
Eternal Flail Snail Edition
What do you think of the artwork from Tales from the Yawning Portal?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12438586
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yawning Portal art

strawpoll.me/12438586

The 'Everyone hates Loremaster' meme is still going strong.

I mean, what's not to hate?
It plays on the strengths of a god wizard and heightens it even more, and aswell getting a mechanic which should've been added to the metamagic that sorcerers have.

I'm personally surprised that Champion Fighter and Four Elements Monk get that much hate.

What's so bad about either of them?

Fifth for wizard 10/cleric 10

So is there any good way to build a battlerager or berserker? I don't want to use the totems or any of the magical UA options.

Is that a manticore?

Champion is boring and 4 elements monk is terribly inefficient and doesn't work that well.

What does "ring mail" look like in D&D?
Nothing I found through Google really strikes me as something that'd be considered heavy armour.

Champion is simple and also the weakest type.

4E monk abilities are just overpriced, too few, and are doomed to get no support.

This is the one I'm looking forward to. Anybody ever run it? I really love Aztec flavor for dungeons and I've heard good things about it.

And that's all of them. The artwork for Dead in Thay will remain the same.

Champion's so boring that it's worse than all of the other listed classes?

It's boring but at least it does okay in its niche.

The point of that combo is that... The warlock can see.

Beserker is easy, get GWM and reckless attack every attack, at 5 that's three attacks with advantage and if you have 18 Str by then, +2, you are bound to get lucky and do 20+ damage in one hit. Now do that a few times and you are good.

Utilize the help action for your exhaustion and that's it. It's really not that bad. Level 6 if they fail their fear against you they have constant disadvantage with your action, and you have your bonus action attack for damage.

Because if you want a fighter that does more damage be a battlemaster or one of the many UA
If you want a fighter who's tanky be an eldritch knight.

Oh! And a preview of Tomb of Horrors.

But that doesn't matter if both sides have neither advantage nor disadvantage. Mechanically, it's just a normal fight.

I want to be a light cleric that can use sun blade in the future. Should I go with Wood Elf?

The warlock has advantage dipshit. That's the point of the combo.

The warlock can see, so he isn't blind. Thus he get advantage and enemy get disadvantage when attacking him.

All the party member fight as normal because both sides are blind.

Fantastic, you give the character with suboptimal damage some advantage.
Amazing. What a gamechanger. Combo is going to be YUGE.

Read above.
Ever wondered why this combo just never comes up in play?

Yes that would be your only bet without DM fiat or Weapon Master feat.

Haello friends.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've been wanting to play a bladelock now that some new invocations have arrived and I decided that a Fiend pact with Mace of Dispater is neat.
Anything I need to consider, or some neat things I can get to help out with my inevitably subpar performance?

DM asked us to roll stats and I rolled 16, 16, 15, 14, 14, 11.

high elf,drow and half-elf (from SCAG) could get it too. They are suboptimal though.

Like a peasant, you are assuming that people are going full warlock and not just dipping 2 level of it for the combo, then go multiclass Paladin or Sorcerer.

Berserker:
>use a big-ass greatsword, maul or greataxe
>pick GWM at some point, and Fell Handed with maul if your DM allows it
>save Frenzy for the more important battles
>enjoy being an unstoppable tank immune to the usual martial shutdowns, charm and fear
>if possible, try to have decent Charisma

>relying on multiclassing to make a shit combo work
I mean, there are DM's that do not allow multiclassing, and especially not something like warlock into paladin.

Because lul fiend warlock goes paladin because reasons.

>The only warlock is a fiend warlock
Yeah a fey warlock paladin of the ancients is totally unreasonable and out of character.
And all paladin are lawful good, otherwise you lose your powers! Oops, wrong edition sorry ;)

Darkness is still useful to blind those ranged or caster enemies away from the party. Or to cover your escape, though Fog Cloud is better for that.

Christ user, you rolled good.
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 15
Int: 11
Wis: 14
Cha: 16

I'm running Curse of Strahd, started with Death House as an introduction and our next session will therefore be the real "first step" into Barovia.

One of my player's girlfriend wants to play. I'm thinking she could play Ireena.
I'll talk to her and him both, provided Strahd can get pretty creepy, but they shouldn't be against it.

I'm partial to letting her create the character normally, forbidding only Druid, Monk and Warlock. Warlock I'm not sure since she could consider Strahd as a "Patron" giving her power... Fiend or Old One, maybe? Or is there any decent homebrewed Vampire Patron?

Thoughts?

Dragonborn for 18 Str for hitting and 16 Cha for spells. If you pick Fiend understand that you shouldn't only be using your weapon no matter, you are still gonna need to use your spell slots for when you need to pump out damage.

Other than that you should be fine. You won't be winning the highest damage and as long as you can accept that it will be fun. Plus you can just fireball on short rest at level 5.

Aye, rolled quite well.
And that was mostly the stats I was thinking using, just unsure of race and such.

Stop trying to change subject user. Your point about "BAWWW PARTY WILL BE MAD" has already been disproven with your lack of game mechanic knowledge.

> rolling for stats
> not doing it in order
leave that game. Your DM hate both fun (random uncontrollable stats) and balance (MM monsters are balance around standard array).

The problem with letting someone play Ireena is Strahd is going to heavily focus on turning her. Plus when the party reaches Krezk she can end up getting teleported out of the plot by her magical pond boyfriend.

>being called fey knights =/= are fey knights
Boy, you sure knocked that one out of the park. I'm sure no one would bat an eye if a fey lock powered by Auril decides to go paladin. Surely not.

>subpar performance
>with those stats
lol buddy, you're gonna be fine. You could go variant human with actor feat and make your final array
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 16 (+1)
Int: 11
Wis: 14
Cha: 18 (+2)
Or you could go with half elf and have round stats all around. Really, pick whatever race and the right invocations, and it's gonna be fine.

I had my players roll for stats so I can throw harder/more fun monsters at them.

Not that user either, but 2/10 for trying.

You can abuse it if you've got a range build. You can aim at targets at max range, cast Darkness on yourself, and shoot them without any disadvantage, because although you've got Dis- from range and being blind, both cancel out from being hidden.

Roguelocks, though because advantage = Sneak Attacks. All the time. Everywhere.

Why you so salty though? Darkness+Sight is a solid combo for melee Warlocks, whichever way you look at it. And to answer the original original question, melee warlocks are more viable than they were before thanks to the new invocations.

> All Warlock must be evil
> All Paladin must be good
You are in the wrong edition thread.

Stout halfling
Dragonborn
Variant Human
Fallen Aasimar (fucking perfect for your build)
Half-Elf
Triton

What does await me in the 5th edition?
Can I play a carpenter who runs his own buisness?

Not using my weapon? How so?
I mean the new invocation weapons literally gives the ability to smite so that's pretty powerful, moreso than most spells.

Holy shit, have you ACTUALLY had someone make you roll stats IN ORDER?
Also, had this DM for the better part of 14 years, he's a good DM.

>right invocations
That's the hard part. Because there are a lot actually fun invocations, and then there are the invocations that are mandatory and whatnot.
Also, I rolled one of the lowest statlines in my party.

Yes, but don't expect to level up from woodcarving

Just nitpicking but you aren't actually hidden ( that would require an action to hide). You do get advantage from being heavily obscure though.

Triton? What the hell is that?
Also I doubt I'll play fallen aasimar. Partly because I despise being "that guy" and partly because my party in general are pretty against overpowered races.

I've thought of that. I think it's OK.

Firstly, I don't think it's unreasonable to have Strahd "showing off" in front of Ireena and showing her how powerfull he is by crushing her friends instead of turning/kidnapping her. That's what's cool with Strahd, he's not entirely one dimensional.

For your second point, I think it's not that bad. I don't know if any group ever guessed that it was a "winning condition" to be honest (it seems very convoluted to me, but maybe it's just a matter of hinting at it?). But even if they save Ireena's soul... It can be a pretty good roleplay session where the player has to decide if she wants to fully go or if she wants to stay - maybe giving her spiritual powers and she'll become some sort of secret weapon against Strahd or something.
It's also pretty "far down the line". I hope I'll get to kill all of my PCs before we get to that.

Yes, Roll in order is fun.

If you're worried, go with maximum utility. Beast Speech, Silent Image, you can have a lot of fun with those.

You can also use Eldritch Blast to push people around with Repelling Blast for battlefield control, and use the SCAG cantrips.

How is this managed? Why don't I get experience from making and selling woodcrafts?

Triton are from VGtM
Fallen Aasimar are less powerful than variant humans, and are on par with half-elves and lizardfolk

You're not wrong. I'll take the point.

I mean, maybe if you want to race with your other party members on who dies first?

Aye, I played a warlock way back in the first 5e campaign we did as basically a party face because there wasn't much else a warlock could do.
And I'll already be strapped for invocations since I am going bladelock, I effectively only have one "free" slot to fill since 99% of campaigns usually end at or before lvl 10.

I wouldn't do it, it seems better to me to leave her as an NPC, proper damsel macguffin to drive the exploration. Spoils the potential atmosphere keystone when she dies/ is turned /etc
If you think it's fun though, and fun for your players, go for it! You know your group better than us.

I thought people who roll for stats want "fun and random" character instead of standard cookie cutter or min-max munchkin character?

Instead, I only saw munchkin pretender who want their chance at god character (and complain and whine to DM for a reroll if they get any stat less than 10).

Oh, tritons are fishpeople. Not sure if I am a fan, but I'll keep it in mind. I usually tend to not want to play non-core races.

Also, how is fallen aasimar LESS powerful than variant humans when they have necrotic damage equal to level for a minute each day?

>I thought people who roll for stats want "fun and random" character instead of standard cookie cutter or min-max munchkin character?
That's exactly why we roll, but if someone rolls just straight 4's for the entire statblock, that isn't "fun" or "lolquirky". That is literally lower than peasant tier and a character who can't go outside without dying.

Rolling in order is incredibly outdated and retarded, because it cripples whatever idea you had when you roll a whopping 3 strength when you decided to be a fighter.
Also;
>I only saw munchkin pretender who want their chance at god character
AND I CHOSE A BLADE WARLOCK. SURELY I AM A HORRIBLE MUNCHKIN WHICH WANTS TO BREAK THE GAME.

Do you even think things through before you type them?
Jesus fuck, dude.

Well the strength of the fiend relies on the spell selection you have, using your spells slots for only your smiting means that you don't get to use them for burning hands at low levels and fireball for higher levels. Smiting is indeed a lot of damage but fiends have a strong spell list.

It's like riding your bike 20 minutes to work as you leave your car at home. You can do it and it's not really a bad choice, but with your situation you have other options that someone trying to be efficient wouldn't.

yeah but what if you're trying to be ecofriendly

Variant humans can start with PAM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since you're going melee bladelock of the fiend, is Cloak of Baalzebul arlready on your list? Cause it sounds fucking awesome.

Also Tomb of Levistus just looks visually cool in my mind, and would be great for any of those "Oh shit" situations when you're surrounded, almost dying, and your friends are away.

I mean, we've already got a Lore Mastery wizard in our line-up. I am not going to dazzle people with my infinite, awesome spells. But I'll keep it in mind.

God I fucking hate PAM. The game would be infinitely better if PAM would just be removed.
Yes I am salty.

I was keeping an eye on both of those because they seem awesome both for flavor and actual use.

When you gain experience with woodcarving it is added to your NPC class. Normal class levels can't be raised through woodworking, but you can multiclass into NPC if you work enough.

I recommend Guild Artisan Paladin2/NPC18, for smiting your perfect cuts.

I'm more surprised the "Loremaster is reasonable" meme is still thriving

Then pick Captain Planet as an Archfey patron.

Does your DM know about strength save hold person?

What's so bad about PAM?

Does getting one opportunity attack a turn when an enemy enters your reach unbalance the game that much?

Yes.

The issue is that it's pseudo-TWF but with reach and synergizes disgustingly well with Sentinel and Tunnel Fighter.
There's literally no reason to take TWF IF you can take PAM.

No ifs bonus action d4+Str. It's a second attack equivalent to holding a dagger and picking two weapon fighting. More attacks and Paladins barbarians and rangers all do extra damage when they hit with attacks.

Quarterstaff Shield is awful and I DM rule you need two hands on your weapon to do the pummel strike.

I mean, the smite gives you 6d8 damage to one enemy, fireball is 8d6 to a huge area. Which one is better depends on how many things you're fighting. Besides, interestingly enough, Mace of Dispater is actually a great way to attack fiends, since most of them are immune or resistant to fire anyway.

>Lore Mastery in our line-up
Well shit. Good luck user, and I regret to inform you might have a too permissive shit DM, if they're allowing that level of brokenness.

I know. I hate PAM too. It is borderline broken as a feat, Wizards should take note of that because basically all the most powerful melee builds have PAM in some shape or form.

If I DM:d, I would probably just outright ban PAM, because it's that good.

Oh hell yes it does. It can be comboed with Sentinel, meaning if you hit the opponent, they can't touch you unless they have 10ft+ range attack.

That's absolutely bullshit. And then there's the infinite kobolds paradox.

Aye, I know that Fireball is better, it's just that our wizard is just going to blow me out of the water 99 times out of 10.

And as stated before, our DM is fine, and he knows about Lore Wizards and tends to go full Tucker except with most monsters instead of just Kobolds.

>If I DM:d, I would probably just outright ban PAM, because it's that good.
Same. It's just too good.

Should PAM fixed be our new meme? I'll start.

>Bonus Action Pummel strike is only d4, with no strength bonus.

That's a big if, not to mention that casters have access to spells that do way more than that.
>But spells are a limited resource!
Feats and fighting styles are a far more limited non-renewable resource and you just wasted two feats and a fighting style on making a PAM TF Sentinel.

> implying you aren't trying to cheese with new bladelock pseudo-smite.

>If I DM:d, I would probably just outright ban PAM, because it's that good.

Just don't throw enemies into the meat grinder. You know what infinite kobolds would do? Lay infinite traps and shoot from range because they are kobolds.

>you just wasted two feats and a fighting style on making a PAM TF Sentinel.
If you think making a PAM, TunnelFighter Sentinel build is "wasted" then I have some news for you.

Also, there is no spellcaster in the world that can effectively have infinite spells in a round aslong as they have people threatening.

And since you are so keen on comparing martials to casters which is just absurd to begin with, martials to other martials then?
Do you genuinely think a rogue would come even CLOSE to a PAM TF Sentinel Paladin?

No because any competent GM knows it is situational as all fucking hell. Although meme these days just seems to mean everyone repeating something incorrect so sure.

Are you genuinely retarded?
If I wanted to cheese smite I would've played a paladin with my goddamn statline, you utter fucking weaponized bagel.

The reason I chose Mace of Dispater is because you can prone people.
Fucking cheese with smite?
Why yes, this surely will be overwhelming amounts of power with my d8 hit dice class that has only light armor and a whopping +2 dex at best.

Situational how?

Combat starts, opponent closes in, *Whack* they can't hit you this turn.

Whale on them on the next turn with your normal attacks and d4+str attack, take one step back.

Rinse and repeat. If the opponent manages to get close, whale on them and action surge* out.

*if you're a fighter

If the opponents are restricted to melee fighting, it's going to suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Hell, going Tunnel Fighter makes it even worse, because you can do this same thing with infinite amount of enemies.

Rogues and every non-caster class should be given options that are equivalent to that.

Also, if your DM ever has more than three monsters die in a single turn to that build, they're either pandering the player and giving them a chance to hog the spotlight or they are completely brain-dead and refuse to have their monsters work around the PAM TF Sentinel's strategy.

'Potentially infinite' doesn't matter outside of theory.

Even if you do that mass hold person - str save thing, it still can't touch 'solos' with legendary resistance, still takes a failed save for the other monsters, it's limited by shirt rests, and that sort of thing is the wizard's job anyway.
Compare to a necro, illusionist, or diviner, the power level is already there.
Fluff wise, it just doesn't match with the rest of the class, but that's not a balance issue.

>Rogues and every non-caster class should be given options that are equivalent to that.
That's the issue, they don't. There are no options equivalent to having ranged TWF that, with two more feats, stop people dead in their tracks and the fact that you can do it infinitely.

>Also, if your DM ever has more than three monsters die in a single turn to that build
Ah yes, because if you're in a tight corridor and they're melee enemies, surely the DM is pandering to the player if he can't get past that aura of bullshit.
Any hallway or somewhat small room and you literally can't get around PAM TF Sentinel bullshit unless you have a spellcaster or something with ranged capabilities.

We are trying to get away from save or die spells, this is a low level save or die spell and giving a character this power over enemies and other players it's not where 5th edition should be going.

>Half-Elf, standard array 8 / 15(+1) / 10 / 14 / 13 / 12(+1)
>Fiend Warlock 2 ->Monk 1 ->Fiend Warlock (Blade) 3 ->Bladesinger X
>Unarmored, Mace of Dispater uses Dex
>2 level 1 slots per day (or your spare invocation) for mage armor, constant 16 AC
>Spend spell slots on occasional vital buffs like Haste, all extras burned for massive smite damage riders on Booming or Greenflame Blade hits
>Bladesong and Haste brings you to 20 AC, up to 3 attacks with Mace per round for maximum nova (and a bonus action to kick them for funsies)
>2 level 2 spell slots that recharge each short rest to keep you going all day in addition to fat wizard reserve and arcane recovery
We finally have the real glass cannon build
It's still weaker than just bringing Mace of Dispater onto a full plate paladin or cleric

>Situational how?
Because it's only effective against melee enemies when they move into your threatened range, not casters, ranged martials or anything with 15ft reach.

Though I will concede it is broken in terms of how powerful it is... against a functionally infinite number of mentally deficient kobolds in a hypersphere. Which isn't situational at all, I throw that at my players every few sessions.

Ranged combat has ammo bonuses stacking with the weapon, and the best 2 fighting styles, that stack for a +3 to hit.
There's no need for bonus attacks, but if you want you can waste yoke concentration for 2 of them.
Archers are potentially at +5 of the sword guys grab one of those expertise feats) to hit compared to meleers.

>anything with 15ft reach.
Make a bugbear fighter with that build. PAM TF Sentinel with 15ft reach, you're welcome.

Fantastic, and while you're at the rear trying to snipe the mass of mobs closing in on your party, a PAM Sentinel TF fighter has just stopped everything within reach in their tracks and can do so next round aswell, and the next round after that.

As the bladelock dude above trying to make a Fiend build.
What you are saying is that I'd be better off just 3 levels in warlock and the rest in cleric?

That's fucking depressing.

Are you sure?
The monk is based on spamming save-or-stun until it takes, the diviner works directly on saves, and now this...
The die part is more limited, but the mechanics are here to stay.