EDH/Commander general

TOKENS edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Topic:Who is your favorite token-centric commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HSH--SJKVQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8jHXu86O01w
youtube.com/watch?v=DGlr9iNBejA
youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs
youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys
youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU
youtube.com/watch?v=DmIsNpDimQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0hZG-zNOk
youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRpRMSu4g
youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg
youtube.com/watch?v=cb1cc4744Lc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tIYSi7Oec
youtube.com/watch?v=nqJPxjPjjJE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9UKNwlhhpo
youtube.com/watch?v=Sg7Os4d_ZpA
youtube.com/watch?v=FmvU3urYQgI
youtu.be/iTyI_Gav260
soundcloud.com/ajapai/godfather
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hello, I apologize for my ignorance.

I want to do two things.

1. Catalog my cards by scanning them under a smartphone app to add them to a database.

2. Order proxies of some cards I already own, I would be playing with some of them unsleeved so they would need to be the right dimensions and feel mostly like a magic card. I have ~50 I would like to make

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could point me to any community trusted resources for these things.

Thank you.

>Playing with some of them unsleeved
Y tho

Because I am trying to make 32 decks for all the combos and I can't afford cards, proxies, and sleeves for all of them. I am sleeving the most valuable decks with real cards please don't hate me.

If you can't afford to SLEEVE 32 decks, you shouldn't own 32 decks.

I also dislike playing with sleeves, I prefer the cardboard. Each time this question is asked the discussion is always about the sleeves I don't like sleeves I don't want to sleeve all of my decks all of the time please stop the sleeves.

I play Angry Omnath as my "real" commander in my Mina and Denn Deck. Let me tell you having Parallel Lives out while Blade of Selves is Equiped to Omnath again 5 opponents? There is no better feeling.

Just be aware that it's super fucking weird.

If your argument was "I don't like sleeves", whatever, you do you. Your argument was "I cannot afford to sleeve 32 decks", and if you can't afford to sleeve 32 decks, how the fuck are you able to BUY them? Maybe make a few decks at a time instead of trying to build 32 at once, especially if they're gonna be 50% proxies.

>>Thread Topic:Who is your favorite token-centric commander?
I want to say its rith because those dragons are my favorite
I want to say marath because its my t1.5/t2 multi player deck
but really its Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper MLD who is just a titania deck with two more colors
titania is tight as fuck.

Wouldn't the legend rule kill them all?

>argument
>can't afford to sleeve 32
>Just be aware that it's super fucking weird.

THE SLEEVES WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO PEOPLE

Arguements. Weirdness. Buying and affording.

I don't care it's all just words. Let's render it. I don't want to spend the money on sleeves when I could use them on cards because I don't think that the protective value sleeves offer are worth the purchasing price, especially considering I like the tactile feel and play of sleeveless cards. Also considering because my question co-asks about proxies with tactile feel which is the point.

Why. Why the sleeves. It's always the sleeves.

Exactly.

All but one, and that's the point. In the stated situation, he'd get 8 token copies of Omnath, all of which would immediately die. Each one would trigger itself, and the other 7, so that's 64 triggers doing 3 damage each.

It does, yes. But that triggers Locus of Rage's second ability, which when Omnath or an Elemental you control dies Omnath deals 3 damage to Target Creature or Player. Each Omnath copy sees itself and all the other Omnath tokens die, and the real Omnath, assuming you keep him, see them all die as well. Do the math.

I'll break it down for you.

1) It's really odd to see someone playing without sleeves, because your cards will get de-fucking-stroyed without them. I still have cards from High School, when we didn't buy sleeves because there was nowhere TO buy them, and compared to the cards I've owned since using sleeves they are beaten to shit. If you don't care about your cards being damaged, that's fine, but they're gonna get fucked up, and marked.

2) It's going to be very hard for you to make the proxy thing work beyond sharpie-on-basic, because unless you shell out for really good "this is intended to be a counterfeit" level proxies, they are going to be much glossier and feel very different out of the sleeve

3) If money is an issue, maybe build 8 decks and work towards the other 24, instead of going from 0 decks to 32 overnight.

Oh, and 8 triggers from the original, so 72 total.

>because unless you shell out for really good "this is intended to be a counterfeit" level proxies

Where and how much?

Not gonna tell you. If you insist on playing with fake cards, you can do your own fucking research.

We call the sellers chinamen for something, user

That is precisely what I am doing, at this very moment.

I wanted to ask the community and speak to people, as is the best way to live life and get the barest pointers of where to do further research.

But, as has happened before, someone was actively hostile because of the mention that I play, some portion of, my cards without sleeves.

I understand the conception of entropy and the physical manipulation of matter.

Will you, or someone, please help me?

No, you are not doing research, you're going "SPOONFEED ME"

Oh fug that's pretty sweet

I wanted to let you know that you accurately reflect the popular conception of the Magic community.

look up mgtlion's old videos on youtube

That if people want to pretend they own cards they should at least have to do the fucking legwork themselves?

c'mon dude

That should be enough for you to find it, seeing how you write you shouldn't be that stupid

>Who is your favorite token-centric commander?
Zada is super fun

whats the flavor behind craterhoof's effect?

Why haven't you put this bad boy in your black deck yet, Veeky Forums?
It's like you don't want massive lifeswings for no effort!

I both love Prossh and Ghave but cannot play them as they are instantly hated out of the game no matter how durdly or janky i build the deck

I have it in Lazav mill/reanimator. It's disgusting

Your math is slightly off, because Myriad in this case would only make 3 tokens which would then be doubled by Parallel Lives for six Tokens for a total of 41 triggers of 3 damage each which makes 123 damage total.

Which is still pretty fucking sweet.

>3 tokens
>5 opponents
Uhhhh?

Because I don't play Black.

ok
what is your point exactly?

Okay, I derped that. I thought he meant a 5 player pod. I'm also going to recheck my math anyways.

Eh, it's in that realm of "You're all dead, and I'm not bothering to do the math unless i fucking have to"

Double checking my math it's 216 damage total after 72 triggers. For 4 opponents in a 5 man pod which is what I originally read it as it is 42 triggers for 126 damage.

Any thing else I messed up?

It's more than 42 triggers. Each Omnath's death triggers itself, the original, and the other 7 copies, so you have 8 sets of 9 triggers.

He's so big he takes all of his friends on a piggy back ride! He becomes heavier for each friend he has with him.

QUICK,

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DECK'S THEME SONG!?

Gwafa Hazid.

youtube.com/watch?v=HSH--SJKVQQ

hahahahahaha

Selvala Explorer Returned
youtube.com/watch?v=8jHXu86O01w

you really have to stop posting this god awful image in every thread

Mishra deck.

youtube.com/watch?v=DGlr9iNBejA

youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ

youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU

youtube.com/watch?v=DmIsNpDimQ0

youtube.com/watch?v=Ym0hZG-zNOk

youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRpRMSu4g

youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

Mayael, the Anima mana ramp into big creatures.

youtube.com/watch?v=cb1cc4744Lc

can't stop won't stop

did you change your gitgud monster's name?

Yeah, "not easy being green" wasn't really clicking for me. It seemed a little too on-the-nose, I guess?

Gitrog Monster

m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tIYSi7Oec

42 for a 5 man Pod with 4 opponents, 72 triggers for a 6 man pod with 5 opponents.

My mistake!

I want to hear cringe edh stories?
Anyone have any?

I could retell about the time a guy spilled soda on the middle of the table

youtube.com/watch?v=nqJPxjPjjJE

Enchantress is fun

pretty fitting

That's okay, I am the one who first screwed up the math anyways.

I dunno probably something from Motorhead

Yidris

m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9UKNwlhhpo

Probably the time I sat down to play EDH with two people who immediately called me a cheater when I played a Tundra, because that card isn't in Standard.

Turns out the two of them each owned 3 EDH decks that were 100% made up of Standard-legal cards

Hokori, Dust Drinker
youtube.com/watch?v=Sg7Os4d_ZpA

>play xmage
>one opponent has a superior board position, in his main phase, about to swing for a big amount of (non-lethal still) damage
>I have an answer on my hand that will sweep his face in, albeit sorcery speed
>one opponent scoops
>other opponent scoops immediately afterwards
>can't show mfw on an imageboard for children
Shit like this drives me up the wall like little else, this is like 50% of games on xmage. I don't mind losing but not when you literally strip me of the opportunity to do something by OOG bullshit. Should I just cave in and become yet another "that guy" playing solely broken spikey bullshit?

>Playing 6 person EDH
>One guy keeps looking at the top card of his library
>Whenever someone calls him on it his response is "The game is taking to long and I want to plan my turn out so it goes faster"
>mfw

I'm not sure I understand your complaint.

He had a big board position, but because the other two called it quits early, he was able to just kill you?

>>play xmage

What's wrong with xmage? It's a lot better for testing than goldfishing

It takes a blood sacrifice to set up, and since they program cards in one at a fucking time you can't always build your decks there.

Yes. I kept a low profile throughout the game so he spends his resources on other people, which worked well right up to the point where the two players both use their "Lose the game: target player loses the game" ability on me simultaneously.
Another thing that annoys me is that my strongest deck by far which is good at preventing this crap is also the most boring one I have. Green turbo ramp that always plays the same.
I don't have an IRL playgroup and have little prospect of having one at the moment.

Fucking booted for cheating

Honestly there are cards that reveal top of libraries (field of dreams), no excuse to look.

Sounds like a fucking nightmare

Who were the commanders ?

Nekusar
youtube.com/watch?v=FmvU3urYQgI

Ah, yeah, that's frustrating, but there's basically nothing you can do about it on XMage. In paper, you could just say "Guys, wait- don't scoop yet".

I mean, there's an excuse, and that excuse is "he's a piece of shit". There's cards that let you draw more than 1 card per turn, too, but that's not gonna stop people from thinking they can sneak extra draws.

You know what else is good for testing? Playing with friends.

I'm sorry that you've suffered such a fate.

I may have been blackout drunk when I set it up because I do not remember doing it. And it's usually really weird obscure cards that aren't in

Sounds like my group when we first started moving away from 60-card (THS-KTK standard). I played a shock T1 and they got pissy

It was around Dragons, so i think it was a cruddy Daghatar deck and a mono-white Anafenza or something? I don't really remember much since the game ended by turn 3.

>And it's usually really weird obscure cards that aren't in
I know what I'm about, son.

I used to do this when people were taking too long on their turns, now I just tell them how to win so we can play the next game.

People should just include Lens of Clarity and tutor it up and they want to know that badly.

Xenagos
youtu.be/iTyI_Gav260

There are a fair amount of mainly old cards missing on xmage. What especially bums me is that there aren't any Magical Hack type effects programmed into the game yet. But at least they're getting there piece by piece.

soundcloud.com/ajapai/godfather

> I don't have an IRL playgroup and have little prospect of having one at the moment

Me too, and it's pretty terrible..... Xmage honestly hasn't that bad tho

>>Thread Topic:Who is your favorite token-centric commander?
>realizing that almost all of my decks are token-centric
Fuck

you better be running mindcrank and Duskmantle for the wombo combo value

Because it's against the norm.
People are going to be confused when you go against the norm. In something like Magic where you're paying $20+ for a piece of cardboard, not protecting them is strange. I get owning the card and using a deck of proxies but good proxies are expensive.

Also, he got mad at you for saying you can't afford to sleeve your decks, which is true. A pack of "quality" sleeves like Dragonshields are $10 for a pack of ~105. It would be an extra $10 per deck, or $320 plus tax. A whole EDH deck can easily cost that much. If you're so worried about money, I'd either not build 32 decks, or buy sleeves to protect them. If you prefere the feel of unsleeved cards go you, but don't expect to be able to sell those cards later for near their full value.

I know I have a mindcrank, I'd love to know where it is though

/r/bootlegmtg

Those lyrics are completely wrong hahaha

You know, as much as I like tokens in real magic, I don't think I've ever built a token deck in commander. I guess my Karlov was kind of close at one point when it had a token subtheme to help trigger soul sisters but I was being spread kind of a thin and I cut them since they were probably the weakest piece of the deck.

>can't afford

It's like $5 for a pack of 100 basic bitch ultra-pros

Well, more like 8 for two packs of 50, but still.

$256 without shipping. It's preposterous to have 32 EDH decks in the first place. I struggle to have just 8, and I think that's a lot.

How do I build for Kraum and Ludevic? Do I just put in a bunch of looting effects and things such as rise from the tides and copy cards?

I'm okay with the "eventually build one in every color combo" plan- I'm on it myself. The difference is I'm not trying to build 32 decks at once and complaining about price.

Fuckloads of land hate and blue zombies. The commanders are just jank as fuck but thats the point of the formst.

Honestly is there much to build around with the two? Ludevic wants to be built kind of like Edric so I'd maybe try some coastal piracy type effects to try and make up the difference in card draw with time walks and flying men and with red you also get extra combat steps. He also works well with face burn since your burn spell will replace itself once a turn. Kraum is mostly just a beater that guarantees you'll have SOMETHING to trigger ludevic with I guess as far as their synergy with each other, but he asks absolutely nothing of you to build around him. I guess he works well with counterspells which can in a roundabout way force the opponent to cast multiple spells?

>build for Ludevic
With a lighter

[Spoiler]The Show Must Go On[/spoiler]

A dralnu superfriends with counters. How do I go about paying against a deck like that?