media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Which adventure from Tales from the Yawning Portal are most excited for?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/5eg
strawpoll.me/12438586
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to see if 5e's Tomb Of Horrors is still a character devouring hellhole. It better be.

Whiteplume, Dead in Thay, and Meme of Horrors.

Well it wouldn't be the Tomb if it weren't, would it?

Dead in Thay and Sunless Citadel.

Tell that to the 3.5 conversion.

White Plume.

There's already a Next conversion for Tomb that looks pretty workable with the final 5e rules, but WPM has no official conversion yet.

So why does Dragon+ have two sets of maps for Lyn Armaal in the last two issues but none for Svardborg?

>tfw a player asked for me to run a "more lethal" game after this campaign concludes
>Tales is out soon

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

What's the best way to build this mighty warrior ?

Painting related

>not just sending in goats/zombies/etc

Easily the most over hyped module of all time. Virtually impossible to clear it in any other way, yet doing so trivializes the entire thing. Pretty pathetic.

Stout halfling fighter with rolled stats for 16 Str. "Quarterstaff" two handed.

Or monk.

Unarmored druid with a single monk level for unarmored effectiveness, shillelagh. RP it as innate magic like favored soul.

So I made a scourge Aasimar light cleric for AL, my goal is to be a beacon of radiant and fire hate

Fluff is he is a LN cultist of the Rising Sun Heresy looking to usher the rise of Amaunator from Lathander by scouring the earth of the unworthy and kindling the faith of the true believers

How can I max out my damage potential? I know I should take elemental adept (fire) after I max out my WIS, but should I look into anything else?

He's level 5 at the moment

Also looking for some character art like pic related

Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians.

Confirmed for never having read ToH.

>point out obvious way to trivialize dungeon

"you never read it!"

ok

I have an ebin dungeon I've been working on, its called the Tunnel of Landmines, its should appeal to the same sort of deep exploration gameplay that can be found in the Tomb of Horrors.

You are at the peak of your damage really, it takes a few levels to get to somewhere where you can do damage like that with a multiclass such as Dragon Sorcerer 6.

Just flare it up and get the elemental adept.

No but seriously, "lol send in an army of chumps" is not going to trivialize ToH. They likely wouldn't find the proper way into the dungeon in the first place.

I say you've never read it because your method of "trivializing" the dungeon doesn't actually work.

sending animals in will locate the pits and do nothing else at all
sure as hell won't beat any monsters or solve any puzzles

>and do nothing else at all

to this day I have never heard of anyone complaining about "well we went to the tomb of horrors, seemed pretty short and pointless," its always player character death or "now my paladin is chaotic evil"

Whats the best way to make a bladesinger who can, and often does, wade into melee?
What are some must have spells?

The 3.5 version sounds hellishly retarded (I'm guessing its actually 3.0).

Haste Blur Blink Greater Invisibility

Magic Jar

What's a good personality for a Long Death Monk?

At the moment I'm considering an extremely jovial guy who's always looking to get involved in local festivals and such, but in combat goes full Khornate spamming the 30 foot spook radius but I feel like that's a bit overdone and too "anime".

mall goth

Mirror Image is goat

I played a monk that was banished from his monastery because his fascination with death lead him to killing another monk.

He was sarcastic and self centered but had a soft spot for people who entertained him.

I'd have him be fixated not on the violent elements of death, that's just a memes to the end, but the philosophical elements. Skulls and death imagery in Christian imagery are about the idea that you should not be too proud, for one day you too must die.

Need some advice for a new dm. Running a campaign with some of my friends but they're all new as well, the only experience they have with rpgs is playing skyrim. From that, they're treating the world like a video game: they steal from everyone, they try to kill, torture, or fight anyone who doesn't do what they want, they expect a reward from everyone and get mad if they don't get one, they try and push around every NPC because they think no one can stop them, and other things like that. What are some ways to prevent them from abusing the world or my newness as a dm?

~le valar morghulis~

The monk player should make it less obvious where he got it from and instead say The Valar, Morgoth.

curb stomp them over and over again (have a couple of the people they are harassing turn out to be veterans)

let them try that shit and then have consequences for it
if they're low level then guards and even a mob of commoners can genuinely threaten them
shopkeepers won't serve them, they won't get rooms, bounty hunters come for them eventually

Let the dice kill them, and let the guards punish them.
If you're fucking around in a town, expect the 30+ able bodied men and women in the street to grab clubs, help each other grapple you (one roll each), push you to the floor, and beat you down with advantage.
For best results, non leathally knock them out, then strip them of all their gear and money, throw them in jail, and get them to roll a new character.

strawpoll.me/12438586

Last thread in which I'll post this but so far, consensus on the worst archetypes in the game seems to be:
>Lore Mastery, most hated by a country mile.
>Beast Master
>Four Elements
>Champion Fighter
>Wild Magic Sorcerer

No real surprises there, although I feel like the Loremaster hate is a bandwagon. It's poorly designed, but it's not Wild Magic levels of poor design.

I actually had to google that since I'm avoiding Game of Thrones until the books are finished (so forever) since I don't like starting a series before it's done.

But it's a succinct summary of the philosophy, with the extra silver lining that an afterlife is a confirmed very real thing in d&d so people really do have no excuse to fear death.

Why is Dead in Thay even in that collection? It's not iconic and it was released with Next.

Lore Master is just plain overpowered. It's interesting, but it shouldn't be a wizard archetype it screams sorcerer. Split it up among Metamagic and the Wild Mage and it'd be great

Which brings me the question, is suicide a sin in D&D?
If not, just worship a nice god of peace&love then sudoku for eternal afterlife in a cozy plane.

Because this is an in-between release largely done by what amounts to the B-team of WotC (Perkins wasn't even involved the writing). Dead in Thay is a massive dungeon with pre-existing maps and much of the heavy lifting finished for them already.

Trying to get one over on the gods isn't going to go down well. If you haven't paid the fee of worship, they probably won't let you in. (in FR, you'll get Wall of the Faithless'd)

Yeah man, that's what I'm saying. Worship them, then after a while just kys. How much time of worshipping is enough?

Well, in Skyrim, Hold Guards don't put up with that kinda shit, so I would instill some sort of martial force created in the wake of your characters acting like assholes. Make them a much higher level so your PCs are easily stomped, and promise that they'll be a looming threat. If you can't think of a creative force on your own, look up the Flaming Fist mercenaries.

Also, there's nothing wrong with running an evil PC campaign, however, the DM and players definitely need to agree and be on the same page about it.

Good luck. I'm about to finish up my first campaign as a DM, and it's definitely a learning experience. You'll figure it out.

The Wall is for false believers and the faithless.

Try to escape the Wall by paying lip-service to a good guy god and you'll just get Wall'd. It's like a Christian who prays for forgiveness on their deathbed after maybe going to church a couple of Sundays every decade. According to their faith, they're probably still going to Hell. In a similar fashion, some small measure of devotion is required if you want to escape being Wall'd.

The only way of avoiding the Wall other than having genuine faith is to sell your soul to the various fiends that visit the Fugue Plane. Then you get to spend the next millennium being twisted and tortured by devils until you're a lemure.

Thing is, Wild Magic can still be fun, and for the whole party. Loremaster is fun for munchkins who want to be god-wizards and it straight up shits all over sorcerer, whose players are left to wonder why can't they do all that cool stuff with metamagic being their whole shtick, while wizards get all the best toys to play with.

They get v& by the local /pal/adin police, who show them the ropes, if you know what I mean.

I just want one thread where no one talks about GWM or PAM.

>Naruto
But even still my example stands- "Nice guy who's friendly and stuff but will murder the shit out of you" is common enough it probably has a fucking tvtropes page.

At least I assume that's what that guys personality is like, I don't know anything about them other than that they're from Naruto and have a retarded scythe.

Then why'd you bring it up?

He's a psychopath in a death cult that only wants to do ritual murder to his god and just says whatever pops into his mind, which is usually swear words. no sad flashbacks hell he didn't even get a flashback, which was why he was such a fucking breath of fresh air in that shit manga/animu.

Playing a Berserker Human today.

Is 16, 14, 14, 8, 12, 10 a decent stat line? I've also got GWM and I can use STR for my fear ability thanks to my DM.

>Naruto character that doesn't get a melodramatic tragic flashback
Color me surprised.

An archetype that allows you to possibly cripple yourself and your party is 'fun for the whole party' only in a very specific sort of campaign.

his buddy didn't either. just some money grubbing frankenstein ninja monster

not bad

Can you imagine if martials worked like Wild Sorcerers?

So, Grizwold the Mighty, what do you bring to our adventuring band?
>I know ancient and mystic sword techniques that will dazzle and confound our enemies.
How's that?
>Sometimes when I swing at the foe, I hit TWO of them at once.
Incredible, to be able to cleave through our foes li--
>That's not all. Sometimes when I swing, I float!
Truly, the eldritch secrets at work in your swordplay must b--
>Other times, I stab myself.
An astounding power li-- wait, you stab yourself? That's bad.
>There is also a slight chance I summon a demon.
U-under your control?
>No. It will savagely maul the faces of anyone nearby, usually starting with me.
That doesn't sound helpful.
>Occasionally I will swing at an enemy and stab two allies instead.
Uhh, okay, well, we'll give you a call.

anyone here played kenku, or got any experience with kenku players?

kind of interested in how it plays out

What player archetypes are best to play with in your team, and what are the most insufferable?

Though generic, I like being with the sword and board "lets go adventuring!" NG fighter. Helps keep the crew on track with what's important.

And I hate Chaotic stupid Warlocks and Rogues that try to pickpocket everyone

Kenku Rogue in my party.
He has assassinated two quest-givers before we managed to talk to them but we also managed to patch them up so it was OK.

that sounds... strange

is he that antagonistic constantly? and how does the speech work?

Ghostwise Halfling Monk.

>that an afterlife is a confirmed very real thing in d&d so people really do have no excuse to fear death.

Depends on the setting, but in the default jumbo setting with the Great Wheel etc., with a few exceptions, you suffer the loss of everything that made you a person, and in exchange, a ball of floating light of a screaming blob of molten flesh appears somewhere at some point. Not much comforting about that.

"You" (something without your memories, personality, or appearance) may appear on a plane some point, but it doesn't matter much.

There are only a few planes where you retain elements of your former existence (Hades & Elysium, iirc).

Nah. No stigma has ever been presented as being attached to suicide.

I'm currently playing a former deputy with really bad survivor's guilt and a quest for justice/vengeance

It's quite a fun mindset to get into where the idea of losing another person horrifies you, and you're hesitant to take lives unnecessarily. To me it's great for having disagreements that give your party a bit of flavour without being stupid or over-the-top.

Is Warrior's Rest the ultimate redplane?

I have a better idea. Don't play in the shitty setting.

It sounds bad but it's more like
>okay I am sneaking around this place I really shouldn't be full of badguys
>oh shit someone's coming
>lemme just hide behind this door
>oh shit someone's coming in
>run STAB.bat

He talks in complete sentences like a normal human being but sounds vaguely Squidward-ish and inserts short pauses between words, as far as the table voice goes. In-character it's a mishmash of random men and women saying each word (picked up from taverns, since he's Entertainer background) but it would be obnoxious to represent that all the time.

It's actually handy because the character is a fucking Walkman. We'll overhear some villain's nefarious plan and go back to confront some NPC about it in public, and when the guy claims he doesn't know what the fuck is going on, he basically presses PLAY on our recording of these guys planning their grimdarkmurderfest or whatever.

There are a lot of things that make the Realms a shitty setting, but the Wall isn't one of them.

I have a better idea, don't be a fucking fedora in a world where actual gods exist and interact with the world on a regular basis without expecting retribution.

You know, images like that remind me of how I used to do play-by-post RPs on forums.

Thinking back, there's a vague comfort in that while I know I made some Mary-Sues, none were as bad as they could've been.

Though also thinking back, I think a lot of my characters were just playing up fetishes I now have today.

Thanks for reading my blog.

It's not so much stabbing yourself and summoning demons though. It's summoning flumphs and unicorns and sometimes fire explodes all around you.
>Doesn't that hurt?
You betcha!

Then there's the potted plant incident. You'll never live that down.

Here's a better idea: don't listen to Wall-user constantly misrepresenting how the Wall works. is total bullshit. You have to lose faith in just about everything and denounce all the Gods to get Wall'd. Just being a non-believer isn't enough, nor is lying about your faith. Gods want souls, they're not just going to leave them lying around if they can help it. Someone will take your shit, and if they don't, the Planes themselves might.

I guess that makes sense, and that's a pretty clever usage. I've just been considering making one as my backup, but then again I'm the only real tank on the team so I don't exactly have a lot of options when it comes to team role should my character die.

Seems pretty dope.

I assume its inspired by Ysgard, and seems very close; or to D&D's portrayal thereof, which is itself pretty interesting -- as D&D-Ysgard combines some pretty unrelated elements of the Nordic mythology.

Specifically, it combines viking battle land, fire giant land, CN/CG drow land, elf land, gnome land, dorf land, and probably a few others all under one plane, and I assume they all benefit from the no-cost resurrection thing.

Its also where chainmail bikinis, and their much superior kin, chainmail anti-bikinis come from. Seems one of the better planes.

Faith & Avatars:
>Those who firmly deny any faith or have only given lip service most of their lives and never truly believed are known as the Faithless after death. They are formed into a living wall around the City of Strife — Kelemvor, the new lord of the dead, may soon rename it — in the realm of the dead in the Gray Waste and left there until they dissolve. The unearthly greenish mold that holds the wall together eventually destroys them. The False, those who intentionally betrayed a faith they believed in and to which they made a personal commitment, are relegated to eternal punishment in the City of Strife after their case is ruled upon by Kelemvor in the Crystal Spire (Kelemvor's abode in the City of Strife).

Even in 5e:
>Souls that are unclaimed by the servants of the gods are judged by Kelemvor, who decides the fate of each one. Some are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust. The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself.

So if you're only moderately faithless, congratulations, you're wrangled into being one of Kelemvor's bitches for all eternity. That's totally better than being shoved in the Wall, right?

Some interpretations say that a merchant who makes offerings to appease Umberlee, because they sail a boat, and worships Waukeen, because they're a merchant, is going to get walled because they're trying to serve two masters. That is some fucking bullshit, as said.

wait didn't jewninja go money grubber because he was betrayed by his village despite a life time of loyal service? Like he was so loyal he tried to fight the first Hokage at his prime.

>the potted plant incident
This led to a party wipe
He has yet to live it down.

>That's totally better than being shoved in the Wall, right?

Well yeah, would much rather get talk to ghosts for eternity than be a brick in a wall for eternity.

>never truly believed
This doesn't apply just to deities. Planes themselves claim and reincarnate souls. It's how you wind up with new angelic creatures, elementals, slaad, etc., without their being strictly under the dominion of a deity there (though they are generally subject to that).

Like said, the Gods are all over the place and actively doing shit. You can think that a couple of them are tossers, but that's your problem. They are bound by laws beyond your shitty mortal comprehension.

Then why didn't they include more of an iconic dungeon for us? Surely many more fit the bill rather than DiT, even if DiT means they don't even need to do work at all.

Is the main site down for anyone else?

Yeah, one of the dumber elements of FR is all the idiotic laypeople committing spiritual suicide by making offerings to whichever deity is convenient... despite the fact that 99% of people who actually get divine miracles are strict adherents to just one deity.

Why would you ever use a dart or sling over a Shortbow?

>Planes themselves claim and reincarnate souls. It's how you wind up with new angelic creatures, elementals, slaad, etc., without their being strictly under the dominion of a deity there

FR cosmology is a little different. There's no implication of this happening in FR. There's also no implication of slaad and elementals, or modrons, having once been people.

>Dart
Actually one handed.
>Sling
Does blunt damage.

Who cares about these differences? Fuck if I know.

Muh fellow Amaunabro.

Brotherhood of the Glorious Sun AL character reporting.

This is the best reply you got

Not all of them were, especially in those cases of planar entities that existed before mortals in the prime material (or planar entities that were created later, like slaad). It's a difficult case to make in situations like elementals, since how do you serve, say, the Plane of Fire without being devoted to a fire deity or having enough crossover that one of them will claim you? But there are people who exemplify "lawful good" enough without any great piety that go poof and come back as a something-archon.

The idea that demons/devils barter for souls from the Fugue plane comes from a book and was derived from this happening.

>one of kelemvor's bittches for all eternity
He's honestly the best god in the setting anyway, there are far worse fates than that.

Before the errata, you could use a sling with a shield if you could argue it.

You can use a dart with a shield, I think?

That's not how you spell Lathander.

Yeah that's what I was going to do anyways but a character's philosophy isn't necessarily related to their personality.

>The idea that demons/devils barter for souls from the Fugue plane

Yeah, that's its own thing. I don't know of any instances of the Inner Planes being Outer Planes. Slaadi, likewise, seem to be their own thing completely, I don't know of any instances of them having been perfected souls of chaos people, though presumably a more normal Limbo petitioner, whatever that may be, could be turned into a slaad in the normal sense.

Lathander never got in trouble for being so cool that all the other gods started losing worshippers and threatened to yell dad on him.

>a more normal Limbo petitioner, whatever that may be, could be turned into a slaad in the normal sense
That's exactly how it happens.

Any time a creature is born, be it a mortal in the Prime or a Slaad popping out of the chaosexual orgy surrounding their weird-ass Spawning Stones, a soul needs to get shoved into that. The Planes needs souls to facilitate the creation of those entities. In the case of Modrons, Primus presumably has some means of snagging souls from elsewhere (or is just really good at recycling the ones he has, because their population tends to be steady).

Nah, Kelemvor is a retard compared to the others, and he got rewarded with deityhood because the others felt bad for his stupidity.