WIP General

Turd-a-nids Edition.
Post your WIPs instead of shitposting sub-edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!hEUhGZAD!Mqx_Xc2wNqdnLwVMMvijxg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are you waiting on post wise lads?

I have a Metal Greymon resin kit on the way from some ching chong place. Was 50% off and it looked a good place to start working with resin on.

>that picture
10 out of fucking 10 m8

Just got my sylvaneth starter kit, how should I paint these dudes. Was thinking cherry blossom, but figured the pink would look strange on a tabletop.

Pink is all over the place these days, the novelty is long worn off when every other week is a charity event for tit tumours so everyone has a half pink army.

What bits are ideal for building a shoulder mounted gun, either firing over the shoulder (see: Predator) or a harness hooked into tbe armor (see: Doom)? Got a decent chunk of Mechanicus dudes in power armor who'd likely want their shoulder guns going while they worked with their hands. And the latter just looks better for Devs.

I just bought, essentially, the rest of my army for dirt cheap (less than $100 for 1600 points). Gonna be loads of fun putting it all together and getting it painted.

I'm working on this Looted wagon.
I need to do some welding lines and a ram and I'm gonna prime and repaint it.
Also some grots to ride on it, Cuz everyone loves grots

Oh at my FLGS we don't have any pink or even brightly colored armies. But its only like 6-7 guys.

Can't we all just get along? Finished the grey shroom to go with the toadstool.

That sounds really cool, I hope you post pics of it!

I dig it user. Gives me a Alice in wonderland vibe.

Better view of the grey one. I have the big kingly mushroom left, thinking of trying to do something resembling bioluminescence.

Thanks! These are my 7th/8th minis ever painted (I think). I was painting the Doom ones that came with the board game but the weather has been shit for priming and all I had ready to paint were these fellas.

Something similar you might consider is painting them up like a weirwood from ASOIAF, that would be pretty slick

And forgot pic

Cherry blossom Sylvaneth are a bit played out, m8. It looks good though so do it if you want. I'd recommend black and white Birch "skin" with autumn red leaves.

Looks like we had the same idea. Patrician taste.

Need advice on how to make the bases more apealing . I always feels like they are the worst part of the model, and the most uninteresting by far.

Post inspiration/reference pictures

Alright, I followed your advice on the skin, and lightened it up significantly, then applied a shade of druchii violet to it in order to give it a bit of definition.

I also added some more metallic blue to the carapace.

More of the back.

It's shiiit

Who is that guy and does he take commissions?

Way better user!

All in all I can't say it's amazing. The skin is still really dark, not very striking on the table top, ya.know?
The paint itself is also really thick, so work on thinning it down.
Could be camera lighting, but I kinda like the carapace itself. With the skin I recommend some edge highlighting to give.definition.
Side suggestion, the carapace can be two toned. A lighter Metta license blue feathered on the edges can bring out contrast. I like the talons, though

All in all, it's meh. It won't look striking on the tabletop and with nids that can actually be a problem as dudes blend together from a distance. A brighter base can mitigate that if you want to keep your color scheme.
In summary: edge highlight, add more contrasting tones.

Will copper plated BBs work as paint bottle agitators? My hobby lobby has a bunch of Vallejo paint for 3 dollars a bottle but a lot of it has separated and I would have to shake the fuck out of them before they could be used

have you thought about some brighter metallic highlights on the carapace? I think a very fine silver highlight could really add some definition, as the scheme looks a bit muddy/same-y. I dig the palette overall though!

Looking better, think about applying a layer of the colour under your wash then some much lighter highlights

Got a Jump Pack Chaos Lord and a 4th box of raptors on mail order

Copper might screw with the paint when in the bottle, i would stay away from it if possible.

try glass or silica beads instead, amazon or ebay should have them pretty cheap

Looks pretty good. I like the.. Iridescent theme

If it was me, I'd maybe highlight ever so slightly around edges so that detail wasn't lost.

But I'd put it on a nice bright base for contrast, consider snow effect on brown earth for example.

I'd happily play against you and your army and you will only get better with practice too.

Keep it up and try to ignore the trolls.

FLGS is selling these. Should I got pick them up /Wip/ ?

I'd buy those in a heartbeat, they look great

For how much?

Thanks, though I am not really that happy with it.

I am happy with the carapace, (might need some lighter metallic blue for highlighting) but the skin bugs me. I might have to try testing out going with really pale look to see how it would fit. I don't want to make white skin though, just sort of really pale, sickly grey.

I'm still thinking of putting it on a snow themed base.

1.32$ per marine and 25$ for the pods is what my friend told me who was there
i agree user!

That's a steal.

Going to make my own version of these on Puppetswar bikes, someone did it a while ago with blightkin but I can't find it anymore.

Thats highway robbery. you could sell that army for 300$

Was that army fucking stolen and just dumped on the store?

It's shit

I'm entirely new to ordering from China. I don't suppose you have any links to where you can browse what you can get made?

I'd really like to get some Bretonnians to paint, i used to have them as a kid and seeing them in total war i really want to get some. Ebay prices are absurd as fuck and "made to order" is not what i imagined.

>Bretonnians
Maybe next time, Duncan

Pretty fucking neato. Tutorial?

It's a REALLY busy paintjob, but it has lots of potential if you pick out all the detail really well.

mega.nz/#F!hEUhGZAD!Mqx_Xc2wNqdnLwVMMvijxg

Z has the biggest fantasy range

How's this welding look?

Wouldn't know exactly. Apparently painted silver and then glazed in different colors to create an iridescent effect (not true iridescence).

Paint up the guns and armor in matte like Tau and you've got a very nice effect contrasted with some basic textures.

Thank you, really appreciate it.

Way too thick, I think. Doesn't fit the scale of the model

dumped on the store for credit

Is there any guides on painting the Magmadroth for the Auric Runesmiter?

I Love the black and glowing look but I dare not try to replicate it without a guide of somekind and I am aparently too stupid to find it if there is one.

I think it looks good so far, but it's hard to say overall since it's still green. Once it's painted it should look like a perfectly serviceable brutish weld job.

I made then thinner, better?

Looks better then some russian tanks mate.

What the fuck

Well when I said thick, I also meant width as well. It creeps up too much on the sides

It's like it was welded with a plasma rifle.

Boдкa!

Easterling Kataphracts and a War priest.

I mean, orks are retarded and its not supposed to be perfect.
I hate using the "its orks so it has an excuse to look shit!" line but it kind applies here too well

It's not that it looks bad, it's that it makes the model look smaller. If what should be fine detail is large it makes something look smaller.

What would you all reccomend superglue wise? Any favourite brands?

No matter how much the sellers beg, please don't share our info, it keeps happening... I swear to god...

>speaking in complete sentences
>pretending to be Z
Baka

Man, that's exactly something I would have ultimately wanted for my Nid's shells ,but had no clue of actually making, hence this is the result

What torso is this?

>what is google?

>muh seekrit club

From the looks of it, it uses a very bright metallic undercoat and then uses a few different colors of glaze to create a sort of iridescent effect like a beetle's shell.

I would guess the glazes are done very thin in a few layers to get it just right and in the right spots. Positioning those colors seems to be the key to the effect after that.

sup /wip/ how would you recommend going about making a foot-slogging model for Balthasar Gelt? I figured I could probably kitbash something using a stormcast eternal head, but I'm having trouble finding a good body.

WHFB Empire torso might have the right cloth for it, but the robed legs would be what ties it together. Arms to taste, those shouldn't be too hard to find. After that, you might have to greenstuff a robe.

Stormcast head is right on the money. If not that, try a Sanguinary Priest mask.

Just finished up on the skin for these guys

I suck at skin. How'd you do this?

The easiest thing would be to use the mounted model, chop the torso off and plopp it onto any robed body you can find. The model doesn't seem to have any specific details below the waiste, so any warrior priest or sorcerer you like could do. Or use something cheaper like one of the robed plastic bodies from the high elf range.

If you don't want to use the old model the regular plastic sorcerer kit is a really good place to start as well. Has all the parts for a metal sorcerer, the robes, cape and the high collar. You just need to add the halo to the model then,
Maybe the blood angels range has some useful heads too.

Reminds me of these dudes

it looks like he thins his paints

It's easy. Base colour, flesh colour, wash then flesh again and a final highlight.

For the majority of my guys I started with rakarth flesh as the base then a layer of kislev flesh, washed with reiklands fleshshade, another layer of kislev and a highlight of flayed one flesh. Hope that helps

Anyone?

Sickly pale, try mechanicum standard grey, pallid wych flesh highlight, and (guessing you want the violet) druchii violet wash.

Maybe. I'm thinking of doing a more sickly kind of skin for a servitor, something that turns an unhealthy blue/purple in the recesses and pallid everywhere else.

Thinking that with my terrible painting skills but pretty good converting talent, I might have to send my stuff off for commission rather than suffer a good model a bad coat of paint.

Could start with something like Fenris Grey and work up from that, maybe a wash of purple or blue instead with a highlight of wych flesh

I might have to make a test mini for concept. Something I can fuck up and not care about.

I might also need to get more specific paints.

Thanks for the advice!

My ork kommandos need some camo, whats a good camo for large green grass fields?

Hot Pink and Electric Blue, painted up in stylized flames.

Purple

Or don't use camo, paint them up in your Waaagh's colours, and give them ghillie suits made from mesh with static grass and flock glued on.

Obviously something bright and contrasting. What's the point of painstakingly painting all those designs if your enemy can't see them to appreciate it?

I wonder what Duncan and the rest of GW would think of this? sending now :)

My finished deff dredd. R8h8appreci8

Can't do jack shit because of copyright laws in China. Trust me, GW has been trying.

Needs more blood on one of the saws

Bugs, Mr. Rico, zillions of 'em!

then you won't mind me posting this mega with all the email contacts all over the net then? why aren't the emails a part of the 40k general?

Pretty fucking awesome, for real, but would be even better if you drilled the exhausters

The casters ask the catalogs to not be posted because they just don't need to be. They can be found if you have half a brain and google. Much like they should in threads, recasts shouldn't be flaunted. It is considered ILLEGAL here. However price gouging is IMMORAL. That is my opinion.

I figured if the saws are constantly buzzing all the blood would shoot off them

That works if the metal's finish isn't smashed into metal over and over again and covered multiple times with gore

I'm only using them for OOP and limited edition miniatures. Well, when I can't find them on eBay, I managed to snag a couple Bonesingers at a reasonable price. Still, it's a bitch and a half to find one who has both Titan pilot and Thunderbolt pilot available.

OK, two questions:

1) does anyone know of a way to selectively strip certain sections of a model of paint? I accidentally messed up a couple sections of my land raider when priming, but don't want to try to strip the entire thing.

2) what specific brand/kind of plastic glue would you guys recommend? I've been using super glue exclusively on everything since I started but I would like to use plastic glue. I would prefer to use something cheaper than GW, but if GW's is the highest quality for their plastics I'll use it.