Quick Game

Anyone up for a quick game of Campaign for North Africa?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/batxjc2ku6bh8ly/Campaign for North Africa.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everyone died of aids.

Don't you need like 5 people per side to play?

Yes, yes you do

Yup. The game is insane. Forex: You need to deliver more water to Italian troops too so they can BOIL PASTA.

A game so realistic it takes the same amount of time to complete as the real North Africa campaign took.

am i supposed to be able to even see this image? its too small.

That's the only resolution you'll get. Everything is kept purposefully indistinct and fuzzy to simulate real world issues with accurate intelligence gathering.

Surely that's balanced by the British need for tea?

It's funny how CfNA continues to be a memetic game even all these years later. On paper it's easier than many other contemporary boardgames or RPGs; I would not rate it 'complex' when compared to something like Advanced Squad Leader, for example. You'd probably have to learn and remember more rules in an average game of 40k. The thing that made CfNA so massive and daunting was all the paperwork, and today spreadsheets etc would make that much easier. It's time-consuming, not difficult; people used to joke "the play testers are nearly finished". The crunch was all in the logistics; when you moved a unit from A to B you had to calculate its fuel and water expenditure, how much was lost to leakage, the knock-on effect this had on other units, and various other technical things. This was where all the time went. There are also things like how you track your pilots individually (about 200 per side in the full game), an aspect I particularly liked.

Anyway read it for yourself and take a look, at least that way you can see the facts behind the memes:
mediafire.com/file/batxjc2ku6bh8ly/Campaign for North Africa.rar

Three per side, ideally with two referees as well

>You need to deliver more water to Italian troops too so they can BOIL PASTA.
There is an optional rule intended for comedy noting that Italians have to consume more of their water allowance because of their pasta ration. Of course gamers had to take it seriously, and today it's about the only thing most people recall because it was always mentioned whenever CfNA came up.

And about as long as the real campaign.

Nope. Only the Italians need more water.

What was the point of even holding north africa?

Just mine and bomb the supplies ships coming from europe to africa. Starve em out.

>What was the point of even holding north africa?
Whoever controlled the Suez Canal controlled the main portal between Britain and the Empire

You'll have to help me a little, as I have no idea about anything. But sure, I'm down if we get enough people

Sure, I have a week to spare

>Reported for domestic abuse

Serious question, where can I buy this game and for how much? It's on my bucket list for sure.

BGG lists second-hand copies going for several hundred dollars each. There is a new revamped edition coming out soon, don't know much about that (might want to ask in /hwg/). But you should really read through the basic rules at least before buying a physical copy.

>the Empire

Yeah, I guess. Okay.

Yeah sure just as soon as I finish this Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire readthrough.

>Yeah, I guess. Okay.

The Canal was part of it the entire geopolitical picture. WAllies control the Med and they can threaten all off Axis occupied Europe. Axis controls the Med and they can protect the same. Historically, controlling the Med allowed the WAllies to mount Husky, Dragoon, Slapstick, Avalanche, Baytown, and Shingle plus aiding Tito, bases for part of the bombing offensive etc.

If Egypt/Suez/Sinai fell there would be little natural barriers between the Axis and the rest of the Mideast. Turkey would be surrounded and probably cajoled into joining. Baku could be threatened from the south. Franco could possibly join. Oil fields grabbed that would help the Axis more than hurt the WAllies as the US/Caribbean were the big suppliers at the time. The huge Lend Lease link to Russia through Iran/Persia would also be threatened.

So, controlling North Africa was a little bit more important than the "hurr durr muh Umpire derp herp" thinking you sniffed at.

So, no one's done that? Put it on spreadsheet so the crunch is automatic?

>On paper it's easier than many other contemporary boardgames or RPGs; I would not rate it 'complex' when compared to something like Advanced Squad Leader, for example. You'd probably have to learn and remember more rules in an average game of 40k.

The mechanics or game systems was pretty standard. The scope at that scope was insane.

>The thing that made CfNA so massive and daunting was all the paperwork

Surely the paperwork is part of the rules you dismissed?

>and today spreadsheets etc would make that much easier.

The game was released in 1979. How many home computers with spreadsheet programs were on the market then and how much did they cost? (I owned a KayPro II at the time.)

>>It's time-consuming, not difficult

I saw it played - and not to completion - at an AvalonCon during the mid 90s. They setup Thurs nite, averaged 14-16 hours a day, and packed it away Sun nite to a draw.

>> people used to joke "the play testers are nearly finished".

Development was long because actually PLAYING the game took so much time and so many people, not because the game's systems were new or innovative.

>>The crunch was all in the logistics

That's putting it mildly. The record keeping is needlessly complex while wasting the players' time and efforts. Actual development could have pruned that part of the game while folding it's effects into the game play. Instead, complexity was added for no other reason than the fact that they could. That's not design, that's masochism.

>>There are also things like how you track your pilots individually (about 200 per side in the full game), an aspect I particularly liked.

Tracking pilots is fun in something like Phantom Leader, not in a game with the scale/scope of CfNA.

The game is more of a something to brag about - I saw/played CfNA!!! - than something to be played.

I'm personal attempts have been made for decades. No one has ever released such a play aid because no one actually PLAYS CfNA.

Make a Tabletop Sim mod for it, and I'll play it with you.

But, if we had the capacity, we'd play.....build it, and we will come.

>I'm personal attempts have been made for decades

Sorry. Potato phone posting. Meant to read:

I'm sure personal attempts have been made for decades.

Hell, I wrote a BASIC program for CP/M that handled gunnery die rolls for Yaquinto's Ironclads back in the early 80s, so I'm sure someone somewhere has produced play aids for CfNA.

I can see a browser window open to Google Docs for this. Would probably make the game run much faster.