EDH/Commander general

REPRINTS edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread topic
What are your thoughts on WotC going nuts with the MM17 reprints?

1st for nice looking cards

>What are your thoughts on WotC going nuts with the MM17 reprints?
Overjoyed to see some of my favorite cards return to the field.
I don't really buy cards anymore but I appreciate the thought.

(Guy with three tribal decks over here)
YES!

Also post 'em.

So what's the strongest single color in edh?

As someone who owns several copies of many of those 'big ticket' reprints:

Fucking good. I'm glad my group will have access to those cards.

Following this , I'm investigating what could work and what the fuck is this

Depends. I would say that Black is the strongest if you were making a mono-color deck, green is the best in 4-5 color decks, white is the best support color in decks where it is the secondary color, and blue is just generally good.

Red kind of sucks, but not as bad as white in monocolor.

Very close toss-up between blue and green

probably blue if we assume infinite budget

if we don't assume infinite budget then green or black

Brown

As in, strongest as a mono-color deck? Probably green.

Strongest as a support color? I'd say green or white.

It almost feels like there have been more Commander reprints than there have been Modern reprints at the moment

I'm extremely excited, and I plan to buy a box. It seems almost too good to be true. It's almost like Wizards realized no one cracks packs anymore and tried to bring a little fun back. It seems like a half-decent limited environment as well, without neutering the set for "muh limited playability". Hopefully this is the start of something good to save some other formats, I'd love to be able to get into legacy.

What are some good stax cards for Shattergang Brothers? Besides the usuals like Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos, Price of Glory, Stranglehold, etc. Should I just stick in the normal artifact stax like Torpor Orb, Tanglewire, Defense Grid, and the like or stick to sac effects/land destruction? The meta at my store depends on which group happens to show up, so this deck would be more geared to higher powered decks that combo off pretty quick

>It's almost like Wizards realized no one cracks packs anymore
People do though. Limited is the most widely-played format

I used this card recently, it's really fucking good. The fact that you can get a free etb for 2 mana is pretty retarded, especially if you're in black and can reanimate.

Probably black.

>starting life total at 30 instead of 40

would this fix more problems than it would cause? it would definitely make red stronger and nerf infinite combo

>Limited is the most widely-played format

jesus

i feel like that sounds more like a sign of standard and modern being shit than limited being good

It would definitely help to make aggro viable, at the very least. Trying to play aggro in multiplayer especially is suffering. Most EDH players just want to durdle or play solitaire.

Yes and no. Cracking packs for limited isn't the same thing as cracking packs for the sheer thrill. Sure, you get to crack a pack and pick the money card in a draft, but when's the last time you opened a pack and were excited for the contents?

Realistically, people like myself only play limited because standard/modern are so terrible and inaccessible that no one is stupid enough to play it. A standard deck SHOULD be $50-$150, a modern deck should be around $500, but that's not the case, so people just crack packs.

Also low price of entry. A draft is, what $10-15 for the required amount of packs? As opposed to quite a bit more for the good decks in Standard/Modern

It would make Oloro a lot stronger.

If you could add one card as well as remove one card from the ban list, what do you pick?

>Add
Leovold

>Remove
Balancing Act

>Add
Paradox Engine

>Remove
Grislebrand
But really, we should remove Braids.

I have a (unedited) breya deck and a couple of cards i would like to add to it.
Just looking for basically kitchen table magic.

Please let me know what i should take out to put in these cards, or which of these aren't worth at all trying to make it work.

Tezzeret the schemer
Tezzeret, master of metal
mechanized production
pia's revolution
madcap experiment
spell queller
orbs of warding
tezzerets touch
foundry inspector
treasure keeper.
havoc festival
eager construct
sensei's divining top.
lost legacy
fatal push
aethersphere harvester
padeem consul of innovation
battle at the bridge
merchant's dockhand.

I want to build breya, but i'm not sure which direction i want to go exactly, not going to spend thousands on it either.
As long as i add the paradox engine and tezzeret's at the very least i will be more than happy.

that's what i was getting at. most MTG veterans are kinda screwed up in the head and really see no problem with paying 300 dollars for a standard deck that actually loses a good portion of its value over time, even though that's actually a ludicrous price point for a sane person. if the average MTG player thinks people who don't want to pay 300 dollars for a soon-worthless stack of cards are poorfags, then i can't imagine anyone at wotc feels any different.

i feel like the main reason why commander is so popular is because there's no real arms race that you have to keep up with your wallet, you can just play whatever fun cards you want and your group adjusts their power level accordingly. funny how wotc tried to ruin that by releasing blatant power creep commanders in 2013 but at least now they're wisening up a bit

That's a terrible idea.

All EDH's problems can be solved with the following phrase "build casually, play competitively."

the 30 life change would also rightfully errata 2013 commanders as unhinged tier joke cards

even if you build casually, you'll quickly notice that a lot of red strengths (ie good face smashing ability and early game stuff) is nullified by the 40 life thing. it's not a competitiveness issue, it's a "colors are imbalanced" issue

I'd prefer for WotC to give red more toys for the late game myself.

>Add
Atraxa, not because of how powerful she is, but because I'm just so fucking tired of seeing her. There's like 10 guys with an Atraxa deck at my FLGS.

>Remove
Recurring Nightmare, sure the card itself can't really be interacted with which is pretty feelbad, but I feel there's so much degenerate graveyard shenanigans not banned in this format and so much powerful hate for it, that banning Nightmare feels just weirdly arbitrary.

have I got news for you

>all these standard cards
Look user, I get that it's probably all you have, but a better idea is to playtest your deck, remove things you don't like, then add things you think would fill the gaps a little better. We can literally tell you the process of edh card evaluation, but the sad part is, a lot of what you listed isn't what most people would put in Breya. Just pick whatever you think is cool, try it out, and if it sucks, take it out.

We can recommend you cards that do certain things, but to just build your deck for you denies the process of learning deck building, and will leave you in a way worse place.

Who cares? I literally just built my first monored deck, as an experienced EDH player, and I'm having a blast playing it. EDH isn't about going to a store and playing for prizes, it's about playing with your buds, drinking a few beers, and having a couple of laughs. Issues only start with EDHrec and netdecking turbo-spikes shitting up their FLGS, or retards playing on xmage or whatever with a $3000 monstrosity they would never run in real life.

The problem is specifically that it can't be interacted with. It's basically a Sorcery that costs 2B, sac a dude, with Buyback of 0.

again, to reiterate, it's not a competitiveness issue, it's a "BURN DOES NOT WORK" issue. that's a whole archetype that is not viable because people start with double the life. i threw the "30 life or not?" question out because i wanted to hear arguments against it, so please come up with a real one and not just "lmao its just a game xD"

Flash plus protean hulk was one of the most broken combos ever.

>with a $3000 monstrosity they would never run in real life
I do have a physical "all foil unless it's on the Reserve List" Karador deck that I only get out when some tryhard tries to shit up the EDH tables at the LGS (most of the cards I admittedly got before the prices on the secondary market fucking exploded around M10 times). I haven't had to pull it out in quite a while, which makes me consider pulling it apart and selling the scraps.

Wizards caused a big part of the problem by adding mythics, but the addition of lotto cards has helped a bit. And modern still has the problem of including sets from a time when magic was way less popular, although MM17 will definitely help in this regard.

I think it's hard to do that without doing it through artifacts. Red suffers from poor card advantage options, and lackluster removal (damage-based for creatures, and no enchantment-removal.) It's good for explosive plays, but making it capable of going late is difficult.

One avenue they could pursue is more artifact and sorcery recursion effects.

Oh, you're just an argumentative faggot looking to vent on the internet. Let's reiterate, you're proposing a major rule change to the format, strictly to make burn better, citing "BURN DOES NOT WORK" as your major argument. This is fundamentally flawed. Burn does work. Hidestugu is a wins games and X cost spells oneshot players, or even tables.

By the same logic, mill isn't effective in EDH, should we make decks 75 cards or ban all the automatic graveyard replacement effects to fix it? No, of course not. You should only build a mill deck if you're a bit of a masochist, and the same applies to a burn deck.

Now, politely, fuck off. If you want to act like a dick, that's fine, but it's not becoming.

i'm acting like a dick yet you're the one calling me an "argumentative faggot" for calling you out on your non-argument

you're just memeing at this point so please stop replying to me from this point forward

I also have a comp deck (teferi stax) that I almost never play, but it was a blast absolutely wrecking a few guys who were destroying casuals with proxied up near comp tier decks. Best part was that they thought I was playing the precon and were trash talking non stop before the game started.

That's pretty cool user. Leave it together, it's now a piece of history. To break it apart is to deny what it is, a labor of love and passion.

Alright Captain Crybaby, whatever you say. You do realize that insults are generally appropriated vernacular and is used to show camaraderie, particularly in insular communities, right?

says the guy who's saying i'm acting like a dick

become real my friend

If you could build an EDH deck around any one creature that SHOULD be legendary but isn't, who would you choose?
>inb4 the Nephilim
>inb4 Tamanoa

I'm more a friend than you'll ever know, because I'm providing you with honest constructive feedback. Now you better fucking invite me to your next birthday party.

>>inb4 the Nephilim
>>inb4 Tamanoa
Nice trips but hey the Nephilim and Tamanoa should be legendaries. Also that one cycle from FRF and Evershrike.

yeah, it's all I got
Basically what happened is I tried to play standard for a year when dragons and origins was the new sets, always came in last (couldn't afford 500$ decks, still can't).
Got tired of losing, lost my shit, sold what i had for pennies on the dollar weeks later.
Stopped playing for 7-8 months.

Will never play standard or modern again
now I am just an edh timmy.
Probably just going to buy each of the commander pre-cons now (not the original now expensive ones) and try to make shitty upgrades of them.

Plus one of the store clerks is a total dickwad.

Chromanticore

Yeah I'm glad I got out of Standard almost as soon as I started

Well Satan, my first pick was Tamanoa, but with that gone it wold probably be either Stoic Angel, Ankle Shanker, Femeref Enchantress or Madrush Cyclops.

How would house-ruling non-creature permanents to be commanders work? Obviously you don't have access to every colour combination that way but I feel some stuff works very well as a "commander". Maybe you could ignore colour identitiy altogether? Some other system?

>Probably just going to buy each of the commander pre-cons now (not the original now expensive ones) and try to make shitty upgrades of them.
That sounds like a fine plan user. I can even recommend you something fun to build on a budget if you don't mind spending a month or so hunting down specific cards.

>Femeref Enchantress
What's your plan there?

I've got this:

>Archfiend of Depravity turbo-stax
Oh god this just makes my dick hard. Ramp into that fuck, cast some bullshit, then bing bang boom everyone hates you. Alternatively, Inkwell Leviathan's a pretty cool guy.

>Lol I have Urborg as my commander :^)
Fuck off and start your own format.

Adding mythics wasn't a problem, though. If you compare relative rarity, any given mythic is roughly the same 'rarity' as Rares in big sets used to be, whereas normal rares are more obtainable.

I don't think Balancing Act was ever banned.

Rude :(

>how would house-ruling [...] work?
user...

Still

Moon

Cavalier

DRS.

Cool, so you have a colorless deck.

"command zone matters" was a mistake. It's beyond stupid that R&D decided it was a good idea to make most of the commanders stronger the more times you cast them, or provide constant value for doing fucking nothing

Superior Nightscape creature comin' through!

That fucker is having a ball chumping Atraxa all day in my Zombie enchantments deck

Blood Tyrant
Blood Baron of Vizkopa

I have no issue with them scaling (somewhat) with how many times you've cast them, because it stops you from just getting COMPLETELY stonewalled after they die twice.

The concept there was fine, they just flubbed the power level in my opinion

What do you have in mind and how hard will it be to get them? i'll try to do my best to get them?

I'm going to continue to hunt down the 2013-14-15 and 17 decks as i can afford them. I assume this deck you are talking about will use bits and pieces of them?

CAST ALL THE ENCHANTMENTS
....Then sacrifice them to Auratog I guess.

Well, let me shift gears a bit.

What do you think is fun and what do you want to do?

All hype but nothing to show, they do this with all the spoiled cards, I'm expecting to see extractor demon as the most common cracked rare

Ban daggson I guess? I'm fine with most other things

Unban Balance

If only Enchanted Evening was in the same colors you could play Allay.dek

>extractor demon
Spicy secret tech in Ghave if you want to randomly mill people to death.

>want to play a card
>trying to find a fun Commander in that card's color/s
>start building a deck around the Commander
>have to cut the card you wanted play initially by the end
What's her name?

>Unban Balance

Let me guess, you built zombie tribal but realized that kind of deck is about selfmilling and recurring creatures and a really expensive token maker isn't really worth it?

This set is a fuckbillion times better than MM15 though

Every fucking deck ever.

You misunderstand me. The price of the packs will far outweigh extractor demon's price, every masters set shovels shit cards in that never seen play in their respective formats.

Yes yes balance ruins some decks but tragic arrogance/cataclysm gearhulk are fair right?

Then go pay the $240+ for a box and bitch when your only good pull is blood moon. Unless your buying singles then good on you I guess

If I ever built Zombie Tribal, that card would stay in it regardless of being a 'good' choice. It used to be in my Ghave deck back when it was generic Junk Tokens, and I miss casting it.

and my stupid gimmicky token setup for it

Tragic Arrogance doesn't cost 2.

Actually set out to build a mono-B control deck, but picked Gonti as my Commander because "so much value!" and in the end ended up building around Gonti and ETB effects. So yeah, Army of the Damned made no sense at all in that deck.

>Also that one cycle from FRF

Yet it does more damage than balance

>but balance doesnt hit artifacts!

Outside of a few janky black cards like gateway to phyrexia multicolors, everyone can deal with artifacts

not sure really.

I enjoyed the ezuri deck a bit, enjoying the saiska and yidris decks right now.

atraxa is super expensive to build, but i wouldn't mind it if i could afford it.

only time i ever won fnm was playing mono black aggro warriors.

Ankle Shanker is my cardfu

You're missing the point. Balance is banned because it's an insanely powerful effect for 2 mana. Like most 'symmetrical' effects, it's usually very asymmetrical in favor of the person casting it, and it can completely destroy games for 2 mana.

Tragic Arrogance does not do that.

Balance would only be cast at critical moments where it was needed. If you can't deal with losing lands that's your own damn fault

I'll never understand people who think limited is bad

>losing lands
And creatures. And hand.

Right.

And it costs.

Fucking.

Two.

That enables you to do a lot more alongside it than if it cost 5.

But hey, it's only limited to 1 in Vintage and outright banned in Legacy, but you clearly know more about a card's power levels than the people who make the fucking game.

You realize Tragic Arrogance doesn't take lands NOR hands?

Balance is pretty much always disgustingly onesided

Build Maelstrom. It's super duper easy, get 10 basic land fishing cards, like Harrow, Far Wanderings, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Birds of Paradise, and a few rocks. Throw in whatever 7 mana blue/red/green beatsticks you have lying around, and bask in your RNG-based wins. It's honestly super fun and next to impossible to fuck up.

Reassembling skeleton