media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
How does lichdom work in your campaign? Are you satisfied with the rules presented in Curse of Strahd? Because I'm not.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B_e-BoZb5YOhcjFhcVZIRVJPMk0
forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck/2017/01/05/dds-tales-from-the-yawning-portal-is-games-greatest-hits/#3c8415168ce8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reposting because new thread.

Reading the Warlock UA, I feel like I want to make a Tank lock.

Go Warlock, pick fey, and take Green Lords gift.

Now go full life cleric and find access to heavy armour. Go with a shield, and whatever pact you want (maybe tome for defensive cantrips I dunno.) And be fucking unkillable to anything that can't 1-shot you.

That invocation seems retarded. I actually hope I am reading it wrong. But I am genuinely considering it, because I am in a Party with a Cleric, a support Bard, a Paladin, and a Druid. Literally everybody has healing, and this invocation would be fucking bullshit the later into the game we get.

I don't read campaigns I am not planning to run. What are the CoS Lich rules?

In my group's setting there is only one Lich so far and he might be a dimension hopper as we as group haven't really decided if he is just a reference to a Lich from a past campaign or is actually him.

Does Tales From The Yawning Portal look good?

Worth the price or easier to just download the original adventures and convert?

How important is AC in 5e? Obviously everyone appreciates not getting hit but what is considered a good AC?

>God is going to let you bind your soul to a fucking Fey

Other way around
>Fey is going to let you pray to a God and not worship it instead

Would say 20 (plate and shield) is the start of the impressive AC amounts.

AC MEANINGLESS
PAM AND/OR GWM ALL THAT MATTER
GET TWO-HANDED WEAPON SMASH
NOT NEED AC WHEN EVERY GWM ATTACK KILL ENEMY
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If my mother was human and father was halfling, what dors that make me?

As a necromancer, can I only add corporeal undead to my necro-troupe? I really want some spooky ghost friends to come along on my adventures.

Unable to be born.

It's literally just life cleric's or protection cleric's feature that maximizes healing dice, except it only affects you. Hardly overpowered, I'd say.

Also UA isn't balanced with multiclassing in mind.

Depends. How many sacrifices are you going to make for that AC?

A fighter can get 21 AC at level 1 if you somehow get them plate armour.
A bladesinger can get 22 AC with good stats and 27 if they used shield that turn, but fuck bladesinger.
A dex barbarian can get 23 AC easily with a level dip into fighter.

Early levels, 16 AC is pretty normal.

Later levels, the average is only up to maybe 18 AC without magical items.

20+ AC in the early levels makes you pretty damn hard to hit, but doesn't help with saves.

My AC is 20 and Balor still fot me with all his attacks

>not being granted powers by a fey and then start worshipping it.

>Also UA isn't balanced

Well yeah its a Balor, need more than just the start of impressive AC for that.

Which isn't limited. At all.

Every single healing spell will do the full healing, no matter who does it. That is significantly better than "oh I can sometimes maximise a healing spell."

Good aligned Fey, Good aligned god. Both love nature and life and shit. Maybe the Fey is a servant of the God as well. What is the problem?

Dude, a balor has +14 to hit. He's whacking you on a 6.

It's not quite as much effect as a permanent self-only beacon of hope, and that's a 3rd level spell.

The only main use for that I see for healing others is on area effect spells that use only one heal roll.

Otherwise, I don't see it being better than life cleric's, which is literally maximizing all heals they cast on a very healer-ish class on an archetype dedicated to healing.

When you consider that you're not supposed to multiclass with it, it basically just means that people healing you get +70% more healing efficiency or something. On someone who's not even awfully tanky in the first place and when out of combat there are other ways to heal such as with hitdice.

>Entangle
A creature in the area when you cast the spell must
succeed on a Strength saving throw ar be restrained
by the entangling plants until the spell ends.

>Web
Eaeh ereature that starts its turn in the webs or that
enters them during its turn must make a Dexterity
saving throw. On a failed save, the ereature is restrained
as long as it remains in the webs or until it breaks free.

>Evard's Black Tentacles
When a creature enlers the affected area for the first
time on aturo or starts its turo lhere, the creature
must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6
bludgeoning damage and be restrained by the tentacles
until the spell ends.

So do you think it's intentional that removing a creature from the area ends Web's restrained but not Entangle's or Evard's restrain?

Go ahead and argue about that while I go grocery shopping.

It looks good simply because of the difficulty of converting some of the adventures. Like running an Expedition to the Barrier Peaks adventure would have been pretty hard before Volo's Guide to Monsters came out.

As a GM, would you add extra effects to a warlock weapon with the +1/+2/+3 blade pact invocations?

I am considering giving the Warlock a few minor boons that will increase once he gets +2, but I am not sure how much I should give him.

I know I won't let him choose no matter what. I just thought it might be interesting to add small fun effects, considering it is a GoO warlock.

>Good aligned Fey
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>On someone who's not even awfully tanky in the first place and when out of combat there are other ways to heal such as with hitdice.
How the hell is a heavy armour + shield warlock 2 cleric 18 not tanky?

What exactly does a Great Old One Warlock make a pact with? Devils and Fairies are easy to understand but I have no idea what GOOlocks are about. They worship ancient monsters that are beyond the stars or something? The book says something about Chtulu but that's dumb, that's like having your Feylock worship Peter Pan or your Hellock worship Lucifer

>>Good aligned Gods
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Warlock2/Cleric18
Oh, well as long as we're making shit up, yes, user, he's the tankiest thing ever, no one and nothing can ever touch him.

If you want to add a minor boon, my first instinct is to add it to the +1 invocation, since +1 for an invocation slot is kinda measly, and just keep it as they upgrade.

My second instinct is add it to the pact boon itself since it's pretty lackluster to begin with.

Go away, Wallanon.

The entire thing about GOO is that they worship things that are directly pulled or inspired by Lovecraft.
C'thulhu is a thing in D&D.

Also, it's less "make a pact" and more like "siphon energy off of" since most of those beings are so retardedly powerful that they just don't give a fuck.

Probably? It seems to me that the vines and tentacles wrap themselves around the player. So even if you removed them from the original area they're still constricting and restraining until the magic (or plants/vines) are removed.

I don't have CoS on me, what's the rules for lichdom in that?

Is it just generic "bathe in the blood of seven baptized babies while listening to Barry Manilow on full tilt..."

Stars, Far Realm entities, Cthulhu mythos guys.

They're using you towards their inscrutable ends, as with all patrons.

>that's like having your Feylock worship Peter Pan or your Hellock worship Lucifer
I see nothing wrong with either of these, though you might want to obscure the name a bit better.

There are plenty of good aligned Fey in the MM and on the Unicorn's lore it mentions them sometimes being 'servants of the gods of benevolent Fey'.

Like literal stars? Can I make a pact with a constellation?

Explain to the class how an eternally young being who kidnaps little children and cavorts with them in a secretly sinister jungle before killing them ISN'T Fey as fuck.

You can't get great AC without the team casting supportive spells on you, multclassing into stuff like fighter or barbarian or picking up hexblade, etc etc.

'Holy shit look, it's broken if you use these new warlock invocations and then multiclass!' is the result of seeming to think it's okay to multiclass with UA content.

We say it over and over again here at /5eg/ to not multiclass with UA content unless you want to break shit or you're holding back on purpose.

Also, I believe it was protector cleric or something like that which got life cleric's level 17 feature at level 1 or 6 or something.

And also life cleric 1 / druid 1 has ultragoodberries which sound far more abusive.

It is Fey but it's also a pop culture icon. Real world stuff should stay out of dnd.

Seems a bit lacking.

I'm thinking of being a Half-Elf Ranger and eventually multiclassing into Fey Warlock.

My starting stats are 8, 16, 12, 10, 14, 16 and I was thinking 5 in Ranger for ASI, Extra Attack and spell slots. The rest would be in Warlock.

Is this workable or should I just go Archer Feylock?

One of the patrons is for example Acamar, the Corpse Star.

If you want an archer feybuild, going 3 warlock and the rest in Valor Bard while stealing Swift Quiver or w/e it's called is probably the most optimal bet for damage and overall use.

My paladin/goolock worships the DM and made a pact with me, and everyone loves it

Depends, what specifically do you want from Ranger? I would say the classes don't really mix at all and just going bow feylock would be better.

Or this guys plan.

Welp shit, didn't even think of bard but that's a hundred times better. Thanks man.

GOOlocks are pretty much Star Pacts with more Cthulhu flavor, but Star Pact was already Cthulhulicious to begin with.

You have individual stars. Just pick any fucking star and look up its Arabic name. Acamar is Theta Eridani, for instance.

No problem man, it's a fairly potent build which gives you a ton of options outside of combat, aswell as mad smite damage in combat doing radiant damage and wrecks lycanthropes.

My thoughts exactly. :(

That sounds cringey af. I feel like you play Adventurers League

Player wants to be a Ranged Paladin. Should I allow it or will I regret 600 foot smites from stealth?

Oh, I wanted to add it on top of it.

He is underperforming a lot with a Rapier right now, and he just picked up his +1. I intend to have the sword start whispering to him, and drop hints about new powers.

Just a straight buff to the +1 invocation. I just figured that, since most +1 items have an additional effect, this should too, especially since it takes up an invocation slot.

There isn't really any synergy. Warlock is a blaster that can get extra attack at 5 to synergize with multiclassing, ranger sometimes gets extra attack sometimes doesn't. So you'd want to go 5 levels of warlock for bladelock's extra attack, then the rest of the levels into a ranger that doesn't get extra attack but uses it.

But, as the other said, swift quiver is probably what you wanted if you ever get to the right level for it.

This literally is a ranged paladin build, you can put a stop to it if you want but the Moonbow invocation essentially creates a ranged paladin.
You might want to give him a Moonbow warlock instead of a ranged paladin however, since a warlock is a lot easier to kill than a paladin.

Also smites with radiant damage so eh.

Sure, that sounds like fun!

>Oh, cool, it's-
>UA Multiclassing

I do actually, but I don't really see how it's cringey, it's not like he's a "lolsorandumb I have DM powaz" but more like he had a revelation of how everything he lives through is nothing more than a bunch of die rolls on a mat, presided over by the DM and the Players, entities with power beyond character comprehension

Just a permanently depressed, nihilistic fallen aasumar with powers derived from meta sources

You'd get the exact same thing by just going pure bladelock with the Moonbow invocation, just less casting in general and HIGHER nova damage on short rests.
So basically, it's trading mongo-damage for more reliable and frequent spellcasting, and some out of combat utility.

You can go with it or not, up to you man.

Ranged paladin (Smite with ranged attacks) is a direct upgrade of a non-PAM paladin, especially if you allow hand crossbows and crossbow expert. In fact, a hand crossbow paladin might compete with PAM just because of its utility, though it doesn't get a +2 archery fighting style.

In any case, I'd allow it just because PAM would probably be stronger and they're probably just going to use a longbow and not have the archery fighting style.

So remember that a paladin can smite a lot more than a warlock, who usually have like 2 spell slots per shot rest.

It scales stupidly well, but after 2-3 smites, you are dry.

>Aasimar
Wow, that's even worse!

>hand crossbows and crossbow expert. >might compete
>might
You should see a doctor, I think you might be retarded.

The rest of the post and conversation is pointless - crossbow expert and hand crossbow is ALWAYS fucking broken.

A more specific variant of something touched on last thread: Various artificers and tinkerers in --the land-- can produce magical contraptions for 25gp, that can cast a cantrip as though it were a 1st level caster. Each device can only cast one cantrip, they can only cast once per hour (but can be set up to cast every hour on the hour), and the form of the spell is specific to each device. For example, a Thaumaturgy-based magical megaphone can only increase voice volume, and not any of the other effects. More genericly demanded items, like Light-globes, would be cheaper than 25gp. How would this affect --the land--?

Do you need Volo's Guide to run Tales, or are the monsters converted inside the Tales book?

Read Overlord.

Thinking of either playing a Changeling Assassin or Whisper bard in my next game. Anybody have experience playing one?

Yeah, it's a good place to put a boost. What kind of thing does he need? Consider where he's lacking and where his strengths should be and do something for that. Maybe the +2 initiative thing. I don't know what all the minor boons are.

Generally, there seems to be stat blocks for the monsters in the book itself. I believe Curse of Strahd had everything in the tail end of it too, I can't imagine it would be any different for Tales.

Great, then it's definitely a buy'er.

Not sure. I actually thought of making his blade do weird shit, making it impossible to get advantage for flanking against him. Seems like a small benefit, but provides a very potent buff in the 1 area where he is very liable to get killed in. His AC is decent (17), but if things get advantage against him, he very quickly dies.

Hey, you guys won't care too much because
>reddit
but there was this guy who compiled all the Unearthed Arcana into a single document. They just got a DMCA takedown, but I saved the last edition as a PDF. I'm posting it here so that it can't be taken down forever, because this thing was useful as hell.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B_e-BoZb5YOhcjFhcVZIRVJPMk0

If someone can put it in the MEGA or something, that would be good. It's better than getting individual UAs one at a time to check.

Wait, this book is only 248 pages. How did they fit 7 adventures into it? As these abridged versions of the original adventures? I thought Dead in Thay by itself was 120 pages?

This is nice, thank you!

Tiny text.

On a second review, I looked through Curse of Strahd again. While it does have a ton of stat blocks for enemies found in the book, I did notice that Twig Blights points you to the monster manual. Chances are if a monster already exists, it might direct you to Volo or MM. But for those occasions, you can always take a look at megaanon's website that has all of those stat blocks compiled, I suppose. Unless you're dead set on having that in the book.

>how does the edition with fewer numbers, less edge case arbitration, and smaller stat blocks take up less space

A lot of old adventures were more of areas to explore, rather than epic stories. Like the original Tomb of Horrors is essentially "here's an ancient evil tomb full of traps and treasure. Have at it."

The 4e interpretation of Tomb of Horrors was to give Acererak a tragic backstory and some grand plan to enslave all of the undead in the multiverse.

Obviously your mileage may vary, because I prefer the old style of adventures. If you put something into a big overarching storythe players end up kind of shackled to it, and it makes them appreciate the experience less.

For those who wanted to know the ongoing adventures of my party and our DM's occasionally questionable choices, in this week's outing:

>rogue takes first night watch
>"you see some moving lights in the distance"
>keeps an eye on them, leaves them alone
>monk takes second watch
>"I go up to them and poke one"
>"They all cluster around you. They're Will'o'Wisps - 20 of them attack!"
>level 4 party
>solo monk
>monk down before he gets a single action
>DM ruling allows him to survive

Later:
>we all got caught in a trap that locked us in a room, the only way out was a selection of planar portals
>we found the one that led back to our own world but it put each of us in different places in the Underdark
>monk failed seven Survival checks in a row and kept coming across nastier and nastier monsters
>you see something BIG squirming in the distance
>"I walk up to it"
>"It's a Neolithid. Tentacles emerge from its mouth and... pull you in."
>rapid DM calculations
>"how much health do you have?"
>"uh, lemme just check if you can do a Dex save to cut your way out..."
>"...uh, no, you're dead."
>RIP monk

>A lot of old adventures were more of areas to explore, rather than epic stories

But there's way more art and new maps and shit, according to this video:

forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck/2017/01/05/dds-tales-from-the-yawning-portal-is-games-greatest-hits/#3c8415168ce8

>What exactly does a Great Old One Warlock make a pact with?
THE COSMOS, OF COURSE!

How anime do you imagine your fights to get? Do you at all, or do you go classic fighting in your head when you picture it all?

I'm thinking of making a Minotaur because they're actually kinda cool.

Should I go Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin or Ranger?

Seriously, how come most monk players play as if they have 3 wisdom?

They literally have the intelligence of a fish in the deep ocean swimming into an angler fishes' mouth.

>wotc initiate a playtest series that's supposed to show the weak parts of their design
>NUH UH NO MULTICLASSING DONT, NO, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT
I know they said it themselves but it's still dumb as fuck.

Nice compilation, this codex. Pretty pictures.

Thanks!

The real problem is that they can't balance for shit with regards to multiclassing in these UAs when there are obvious things that can be abused.

Make a Minotaur Stone Sorcerer that has a small percentage of Gorgon blood flowing in his veins.
Focus on stone-y/earth-y spells as well as various caustic clouds.

Minotaur paladin dualwielding whips with Sentinel feat.
Do it, I dare you.

>How anime do you imagine your fights to get?

is this magical realm?

This is actually a really cool idea. Like completely awesome.

Unless I'm missing something wouldn't this be better on a Bugbear for the reach?

Sword of the Stranger is about as anime as I picture it. My players seem to tend towards martials (the CoS campaign we just finished had one full caster and two half-casters, and the full caster missed half the sessions).
Swashbuckler. Or Ranger.
They said it because UA just isn't balanced for multiclassing. Allowing UA is, as a rule, asking for trouble, and allowing UA multiclassing is just retarded.

Your monk player was definitely not wise. And your DM is full of shit, like what the fuck? 20 will-o-wisps vs a level 4 party?

Not to mention that they're not even going to playtest all the stuff they shall be giving us, because otherwise there would be no reason to buy splatbooks.
UAs were a mistake and the amount of "quality" you get from this kind of playtesting is negligible compared to how slowly they books are released. errata with post-release bandaid kind of rulings is all we need.

Yuh. This is the DM who also has dragons kill off players who try doing things she doesn't like, has raised the oil price to 8000gp a barrel to stop our party buying explosives, and does stuff like this.