Dumbshit Dice System

ITT we design an intentionally convoluted dice system based around the d12 because raisons

WoD, with 6 being the average instead of 5.
Done.

Crit successes/fails generate different effects based on whether the roll is composite or prime

I'll see your WoD and raise you that 2D dice system that Cthulhutech uses, with '01' rather than 1, and so on up the line.

101 being the lowest roll in a system? Gaps between x12 and y01? Fuck yes.

7d12, must be within 1 standard deviation of the mean to succeed.

with exploding dice on 1 and 12

no, Imploding dice

rolling a 1 or a 12 allows you to remove a die from the roll to better match the standard deviation

system based around exploding successes, you choose the die level (d4-d20) balanced on the halfway point of each die (3+ for d4, 4+ for d6, .... 10+ for d20) rolling the highest number possible on a die yields that number more dice of the same type. you're likely to get more exploding successes from rolling all d4s, but the d20 yields 5x more dice. these dice cannot explode further.
use: DBZ style MORE POWAH style game.

(didn't read the d12 basis till now. do with this what you will)

>let's make a stupid system based on d1w for lolz

But...why thou? We already have d20, how much worse can you possible hope to be?

No roll over or under, just a "roll as close as possible" to be annoying.

You roll 7d12. Your primary attributes plus relevant skills determine how many points you're allowed to deviate from the mean. So if you're an idiot with 1 Smarts and no relevant skills you succeed on a 44 through 47, but if you're a fighter with 4 Muscle and 4 Melee you successfully punch someone on 37 through 54.

Every 1 you roll forces you to "implode" and remove a different die from the table. Every 12 you roll forces you to explode. Both implosion and explosion are mandatory, and implosion can never remove a 1 from the table.

Instead of HP, you remove points from an attribute, then roll based on that attribute to avoid taking a concussion, wound, or other disadvantage based on the stat. If you split damage among multiple attributes you make multiple rolls.

why not modify it so that higher levels of success add more nonexplosive dice, and conversely lower failures remove more dice from the top?

i.e 10s add an extra die, 11s add 3, 12s add 5, but 3s remove 1, 2s remove 3, and 1s remove 5

How about explodes on 1, implodes on 12

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a 3d6 roll-under-but-as-high-as-possible system? Like if I have a Strength of 10, if I roll 11 it's a fail, but if I roll 3 it's also a fail?

Roll under with absolute value of (d12 - d12)

How about 10d12 against another and plot a scatter graph. the PMCC must be more than 0.25 to succeed

Thanks for reminding me that I made this

Roll three differently-colored d12 for any task. Treat a roll of 12 as 0. The result is the hours, minutes (in increments of 5), and seconds (in increments of 5) required to complete the task. If you don't have that much time, the task fails.

Of course, the GM can apply bonuses and penalties for different kinds of tasks, just like in all those ass-backwards d% systems where every task is assumed to have the same difficulty.

was a set of way too many d12s a bad christmas present?
genuinely curious

It's the least-used Platonic solid in gaming. So probably.

yeah, alright. I have 24 minutes to kill.

IN D12 HERO, YOU AND YOUR CLOSEST GAYFRIENDS TAKE ON THE ROLE OF A )whatever-the-fuck-you-want(.

In order to play the game, you need...

A SINGLE GODDAMN D12. That's it. Nothing else. All things revolve around the D12.

Gameplay is broken up into years/months/weeks/days/scenes (which is any contiguous period of time less than one hour in which action is occurring, scenes transition after 1 hour into a new scene and so all effects that last for the scene reset)/minutes, and rounds. A round is anywhere from 3 seconds to 10 seconds, depending on how much shit is happening. This is subject to GM Fiat.

Each character has three attributes: Body, Mind, and Spunk. Each of these attributes is rated from 0, to 4 which is the peak of human perfection. 0 means pathetic.

FX rolls are 1d12, roll over your check. Your check is equal to 13 - your attribute. You gain a bonus from your traits, and your character description. In addition, you may gain bonuses to this roll depending on circumstance modifiers. FX rolls are for manipulating the scenery.

You and an opponent may roll opposed FX rolls. In doing so, the person with the highest result wins. If these results tie, the person who beats their check by the most wins. If these results also tie, roll until a victor appears.

Your character also has a description—which is not to be confused with physical attributes such as hair/eye color. This is no more than three sentences in length. Each sentence describes a facet of your character. If this description would benefit your character in any way on an FX roll, you gain +4 to your roll.

In addition to that, each character has traits. These may be anything. Traits may allow characters to have a bonus to a particular roll, enable characters to attack in a new way, or let a character to use a certain amount from other attributes (up to the rating of the trait) for a roll which they normally couldn't.

(1/??)

Looks way better than Dungeons and Dildos or Pathfucker.

10/10 amazing read

Not directly related, but I've always wanted to make a game system where, if you follow the rules exactly, it's only possible to make one character. Like for example if there's a bunch of abilities that cost four points, one that costs six, and one that costs seven, and the rules specify that you must take EXACTLY thirteen points of abilities, no points left over. There'd be a lot of character options but most of them wouldn't actually be usable and all characters made without cheating or houserules would be mechanically identical.

Not sure if I'd rather have the pregens be blatantly cheating, or have them have radically different backstories/descriptions while all being the same character mechanically.

Traits are rated from 1, to 3. Traits that should aid a character in making an FX roll grant a bonus equal to their rating. A character may only gain a maximum of 3 from traits in an FX roll.

Your character has an HP score, which is equal to Body * 6 + 6. The maximum starting HP score is 30.

There are four types of armor which your character may wear: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Massive. Light grants 3 points of armor, Medium grants 6, Heavy grants 9, and Massive grants 12. Each step above light subtracts 1 meter from the distance your character can move.

There are four kinds of weapons: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Ranged. Each does a different amount of damage. Light weapons deal 1d12 divided by 2, rounded down. Medium Weapons deal 1d12 damage. Heavy Weapons may deal 2d12 damage. Wielding a melee weapon in 2 hands improves its damage by 1d12. You cannot wield a Light weapon in 2 hands. Ranged Weapons are accurate up to 30 meters. Each 30 meters afterwards reduces the damage dealt by 1d12—roll this amount and subtract from the damage dealt. Ranged Weapons deal 2d12 damage. If you're firing a ranged weapon into melee, reroll the damage and take the worse outcome. When Throwing a Light Weapon, treat it as a Ranged Weapon in all respects. Medium Weapons can be thrown, however, roll the damage twice and take the worst outcome.

Your armor is also increased by your Body, and one applicable Trait. The damage dealt by your weapon may be improved by your Body, and one applicable Trait. When attacking a foe, subtract their armor from your damage. If the damage is 0, the attack misses. Deal damage to the target's HP.

When a character's HP reaches zero, they are unconscious. They may then be killed by any adjacent character, or a character targeting the unconscious character with a ranged weapon.

(2/??)

I would enjoy such a system because I could then be a 3.5 or pathfucker player and say "This system has no many unique options!" even though you can't really play them.

CHARACTER CREATION:
Roll 1d12 and divide by three, rounding down for each attribute.
Write your character's description with three sentences.
Allocate 9 trait points.
Determine HP.
Choose an Armor and Weapon type.

ADVANCEMENT
After each challenge (determined by the DM), your character gains 1 XP. After a major challenge, the DM may give you 2 XP. At the beginning and end of each session, you gain 1 XP.

You may increase your HP by 1 for 3 XP.
You may increase your attributes for a number of XP equal to the current attribute times three.

Each time you rest, roll 1d12. You regain that much HP. Traits may increase this roll by an amount equal to their rating.

If you wield a shield, treat your armor as one step lighter. You may choose Super-Massive Armor, which grants 15 armor.

Magic weapons, armor, and shields, may bestow a character with a trait or two, at the GM's discretion.

For GMs: feel free to grant a bonus or inflict a penalty equal to +3 or -3 for an FX roll where appropriate.

I think that's it.

>has no many
Best typo ever

if you roll 1 you have to roll again but the result is applied as a negative. If you roll 3 you have to roll again but the result is applied as negative if it is odd and positive (but at half value) if it is even.

results that dip into the negative roll over into positive starting at 7 and counting down if there is still a negative result remaining to be applied after the value hits zero

d12 isn't really that bad a mechanic, though. It's basically 2d6 but more swingy. You have to deal with 12 being an automatic hit and 1 being an automatic miss if you're the kind of person who cares about that, but otherwise I don't see much issue with a d12 game. In terms of the feel of rolling the dice.

> God tier: 3d6, 2d6, 1d20
> Good tier: 1d10, 1d12, stepped dice
> Shit-Tier: dice pool, 2d10, d%

That's just my opinion, though, no need to get triggered by it. Also d12s roll a bit more than other dice, even d20s, so that might piss off some people.

Dice pool system, you roll the square of your attribute. Prime numbers explode. The goal is to have more dice on the table than your opponent.

If you reach the cube of your attribute all your dice on the table explode.

Dice pool is best you big gay bitch

>God tier: dice pool, 1d20, 1d10
>Good tier: d%
>Shit tier: Rolling under target. Everything you like.

Dice pool is extremely low granularity and makes you roll more dice than necessary. The only benefit is organic diminishing returns in skill increase (i.e. Athletics 2 is a lot better than Athletics 1 but Athletics 10 isn't much better than Athletics 9) but honestly that is reflected in every other system anyway. And the downsides are:

> shittons of dice
> low granularity
> hardening bell curve making higher level player boring
> slow as fuck for multiple rolls

Don't give me the MoS argument because other systems can do that as well. Nor the "yeah well d20 sucks because natural 1 can make a master swordsman fuck up" because that's based on d20 being swingy as fuck. Not all dice systems are like that. The fucking rock hard hardon for dice pool that this RPG hipster rennaissance has brought on is something I will never fucking understand.

>Roll 9d12, and take the middle result.
>Target number is 7.
>Add modifiers for skill.
>For difficulty, take lower dice for harder and higher dice for easier tasks.

Second cthulhutech. How do you go from raising your skills from 1 to 2 and double your critical fail rate? Fucking retarded

Well, if you want an actual D12 based game, play Tephra. It's a legitimately fun steampunk game.

>d12 system

There's actually a decent non-convoluted one I haven't seen used yet.

First, you have to roll the dice to see how many dice you'll be rolling