media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
How many times have you played in games where the casters outshone the martials?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12451483
discord.me/5eg
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/Skb9S83L8x?dialog=true
youtube.com/watch?v=t8--jm8Tn5U
youtube.com/watch?v=c8fscLm0M24
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How many times have you played in games where the casters outshone the martials?
I've never not.
Also, we already have a thread.

This thread is 7 minutes late

This one should be kept alive for when the other hits b ump limit and falls off the board though so not bad on OP, still a faggot though.

Bu-hump

Is there no art of hafling girls with groomed feet hair styled with clips or ribbons?

> Veeky Forums widely shills the new edition of D&D for being player friendly and simple
> goes out of its way to curate new players
> thinks 5e is a shining path to a new future for RPGs
> 90% of arguments for why it is good stem from "well it's not 3.5!"
> now, tabletop hobby is flooded with more roasties and normies than ever before
> dumb-ass mechanics pander to them
> the nat20 meme is in full force thanks to Critical Roll
> Cards Against Humanity has fueled this idea that the fun in gaming stems from ridiculous scenarios creating autistic laughter
> video games have also put the Chaotic Randumb mentality in these new players
> most of the girls don't even bother learning to play as they are there to soak up male attention from beta orbiters
> this is what Veeky Forums wants

I will never understand you people.

Fuck off, Virt.

I don't mind bringing new players into role-playing. That doesn't affect me at all.

What I would like is a system with "more" to it. 5e is shallow as a toilet, and has very little usable content.

>What I would like is a system with "more" to it.

Then:

1) get rid of the stupid "classes are for players only" and make the D&D a system instead of a game

2) rebalance damage so PvP is viable

3) Say that only classes grant feats, not monster HD (so 5e's awesome monster creation is preserved).

4) Reinstate 4e's 1/2 level as an incrementer for proficiency rather than 1/5th level bullshit. This maxes out at +12 which isn't even bad.

5) Give all classes a feat at level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20.

6) Reinstate something similar to skill tricks for those shitty feats that don't provide good enough benefit. An example is minor feats where you can take two in place of a major feat. Or just cull the shitty feats.

7) Remove multiclass restrictions but discourage dipping.

8) Remove archetypes because they are over-templated bullshit. Or at the very least, heavily rework them, because the only archetype in the game that is at all good or cool or interesting is eldritch knight.

Bam. Solved. No more normalfags shitting up the hobby, and the game has depth and interest again. Merals wanted to rape the chargen game because he sucks at making characters so instead of balancing the game he turned it into restrictive nonsense. He'd rather the online discussion of 5e be "hey look at this EPICK natural 20 I rolled last night and I convinced Asmodeus to suck my dick adn the DM basically had to let it happen because I rolled a natural 20 or else I'm reporting him to the fun police" and "look at this bird race #58932 I homebrewed, let me know if it's balanced guise so I can put it up on DMs guild with the rest of the derivative unoriginal setting-dependent crap content on there."

Which is what happened. I hope WotC is happy.

Post hilarious character builds.

After Mystic, which class in D&D 5e should be revisited in an Unearthed Arcana first?

strawpoll.me/12451483
strawpoll.me/12451483
strawpoll.me/12451483

>shallow

one of the best features of 5e is that optimization is generally very light, aside from multiclass shitters

NPCs can have class levels, retard.

Most nonclassed NPCs have about as much HP as a PC would have -- comparing casters vs casters, anyway. Archmages, mages, and drow mages all map to about what a PC would have.

>4) Reinstate 4e's 1/2 level as an incrementer for proficiency rather than 1/5th level bullshit

nah

>Remove multiclass restrictions but discourage dipping.

why do you want to make multiclass even more broken, unfun, and 3e-like?

your advice is terrible

Oh man, I actually recognize this pasta.

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

Is it as cancerous as the /pfg/ one, with two autists arguing about roll20 vs map tools every day?

its worse

Last I heard, there was some trannie causing drama because the local beta population thought he was a real girl who might someday let them multiclass out of wizard.

>might someday let them multiclass out of wizard.
lol

>might someday let them multiclass out of wizard
amazing

Fucking caster supremacy man

>Started too early
>Badly cropped anime OP image
>Casters vs martials opening question

This thread is cursed. Please never make another thread my man.

Most of the time it's casual shitposting but there's also good art/token/file troves, build talk, DM and lore ideas, etc. There was drama several weeks ago but the Discord has been around on /5eg/ for over a year now and is pretty solid imo

Hey, last thread the Unearthed Arcana link I sent wasn't working correctly for everyone.

I have the PDF, but it's 133MB, so no way I can upload it. So I found a version that's up.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/Skb9S83L8x?dialog=true

It's all I have that i can share right now, I can make a MEGA with my PDF if this doesn't work. And if anyone knows or can contact MEGA user, I think this would be useful to have.

>MC out of wizard

So, anyone else here watch Youtube RPs?

This one for 5e was pretty nice youtube.com/watch?v=t8--jm8Tn5U

Anyone have any good tutorials for making maps? Or some easy software to use?

Not looking to make some grand world map or anything, just the general region the players will be running around in.

All right /5eg/, I'm making a Revised Ranger with a RAW +35 to stealth while still with Pass Without Trace active. I can't seem to think of a fun conclave to choose for this one. Any advice?

Try Inkarnate. It's a rather handy tool that makes nice maps without too much effort.

>Literally cannot fail stealth checks against the entire monster manual.

Bounded accuracy was a mistake.

Trying to create a dungeon with a heavy focus on cooperation (more so than normal play) that eventually transitions into a hive mind effect. I've got a few planned important encounters within the dungeon, along with an important magical item for my players, but I'm having difficulty filling out rooms for the dungeon that fit the established themes.

Also, for the hive mind effect, I was thinking it would start with players being able to hear each others thoughts, then slowly they begin to accumulate their party members' abilities, starting out with low level stuff and going higher throughout. The downside is eventually one player's pain or afflictions start to hurt the others. This seem like a good idea, bad idea? Too easy to break (though my players are so new to D&D I doubt they'd do anything terrible here)? Too mundane?

add a rape scene

blame amateur hour UAshit not 5e

Wood elf, eagle totem barbarian, magic initiate (longstrider), mobile feat.
Maybe a dip into monk

Sorry, posted in the old thread.

What's the difference between optimizing and min-maxing?

None of those abilities are new.

It depends on the setting

see

Ignoring pass without trace (which is a concentration keyword spell), where is the +25 coming from?

Min-maxing improves one aspect to the detriment of others (minimizing one to maximize another), optimizing is more general character improvement

I'm tired of spamming Eldritch Blast every turn. I just wanted to play a dubious cultist that knows dark magic, why are Warlocks so fucking boring? I feel like a glorified archer! Do things get better as I level up?

How are necromancers in 5.0?

Should've gone wizard, fool

No, warlocks are definitely stealthy scout commandos. Think fantasy equivalent of a guy with nightvision goggles, a gun, and smoke grenades.

They're quite necromanty.

ou get some tougher skelly bros than if you're not a necromancer.

>Players make a deal with an evil Wizard to cure an incurable curse
>In exchange the Wizard demands they each deliver one rare and powerful magic artifact to him
>These can be either things they find that he takes a liking too
>Or specific items he asks them to find

It seemed like a good idea at the time. But I realized I've given myself a lot more work having to write sidequests for each item. Which will also distract from the main quest.

Not to mention objectively if they find anything good the evil Wizard will want it.

Extremely good, you can have a 100% effective char who does huge damage via nothing but Animate Dead.

At level 15, see if you can snag a Mummy Lord.

>Why are warlocks so fucking boring
Because most people go in expecting a them to be a weird variation on a full caster class, when in reality they have more in common with half-caster classes, in that they're mostly a dpr donkey class with some neat magical shit they can do on the side.

Is there an uncensored version of this? For research into the darker arts of course

If Optimization is saying "Let me up my Fighter's STR score to 18 by dropping INT to 14 and CHA to 14 as well," Min-Maxing is saying "Let me give my Fighter 18 STR, 20 DEX and CON to be the perfect tank, I'll just drop INT to 8, WIS to 7 and CHA to 2. Who needs them when I'm a tank?"

Buck-Satan's tumblr.

Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear.

yes, I unironically posted the picture solely that I could go right triangle thingy -> image search -> iqdb

Their stupid hide in plain sight ability, camouflage, whatever. That's another 10. Then 15 is just rogue multiclass and dexterity.

Making up a bunch of new stuff doesn't really seem necessary in this situation when you can just tell them about the Help action and encourage them to use it. The whole sharing abilities and damage thing sounds like it could be novel for an experienced group if done just right but too much for new players.

>multiclass

oh, well that's something the DM voluntarily and intentionally did to pour fire ants on his penis

So i want to run a campaign after Lost Mines of Phandelver. Which would be the best to hook onto?

Have them come across a Paladin who will help them lift the curses if they help him kill the Wizard.

Storm King's Thunder.

There are some bits either at the end of LMoP or at the start of Curse of Strahd that give tips on how to segue one into the other easily.

I'm already running that for another group and don't really want to run that again

Expertise was a mistake.

Why is the Berg of the Frost Giants so much smaller than the other giant lairs in SKT?

It's the one my players have chosen to take on and it seems to be a very odd combination of being super small but largely empty space with a lack of areas and rooms (some of the others have 30+ and the Berg barely scratches 20 with sub-areas included).

Also, does anyone have decent copies of the map of Svardborg? Seemingly all the other giant lairs are in Dragon+ (Lyn Armaal is in two separate issues for some reason) but Svardborg isn't.

What about a quick modification of Castle Spulzeer - it's relatively easy, most of the monsters fit, the main antagonists on the road are a vampire and bandits, at the castle it's a crazy battlemaster with a legendary axe, a bog standard lich, and a slightly beefier banshee (the Ravenloft campaign splat really needs to have Van Richten's type monster options), and it's one of the better 2e modules.

You asked what the best one was, not which would be most exciting for you.

I'd say Strahd would be a nice change of tone compared to SKT, you'd only have to beef up the encounters a little since a lot of them are dangerously tough already.

spoiler: the lich is a pretty nice guy

I don't mind the character design. In fact, outside the shallow combat applications, I think 5e character archetypes and design is superior to 4e.

When I say shallow, I mean combat in 5e lacks depth.

Then Veronica was Judas.

I recently remembered a 4e adventure I liked running but I can't remember the name of it. I figure someone might recognise it.

There's a big manor out of town and I think it's got Vampires, a hedge maze leading to the master Vampire, the ghost of the old owner in the study and the front door's guarded by some magic plant riddle thing.

It was a free adventure I downloaded maybe 4-5 years ago.

>When I say shallow, I mean combat in 5e lacks depth.

Just depends on how many options you use. As a fan of 5e Battlesystem (the When Armies Clash) it can be as involved as you want to be, and certainly can be more involved than 5e.

I too am posting here and in the Riverdale talkback thread.

What would the general reaction be if, instead of bumping extra attack
- Every class that gets extra attack instead gets double damage but still just one attack
- Fighters get a second attack as their third, that attack also does double damage at their fourth

Genuinely worse, famalam. More hits mean more modifiers, more chances to crit, and more triggers of on-hit effects.

What's the point?
Just means you have less options on how to split your attacks.
Congrats, fighters are now even worse at fighting groups.

I'm playing a Human Zealot Barbarian and I'm wondering how useless am I going to be out of combat? I have 5 skill proficiencies and zero class abilities that do anything outside of "murder people harder". I love the idea of the character but I am worried about that.

Not to mention just more things to affect combat in general. The extra damage will be wasted on a low health mob when you could have just killed it with a normal attack then attacked something else.

Have you considered just not having bad ideas?

You have high strength, and a lot of people don't bother buying mundane gear.
Carry as much adventuring gear as you can and be help solve problems.

spend a feat on skilled or ritual caster.

I'm going to be 8 STR Cleric.

Should I buy a mastiff and have it carry gears into dungeon with me?

So basically use the money I won't be spending on armour later on for loading up on pickaxes, battering rams and other tools like that? I do have a fuck huge carry weight.

My Human feat's GWM and I've only got 5 ASI and I'm going to need all of those to max Strength and Constitution. Plus we've got a Wizard and enough skills between us all.

I'll carry your shit senpai.

Spend all your gold on Alchemist's Fire and hire a bunch of peasants to follow you around and throw it. The magic of bounded accuracy will allow many of them to hit their targets.

I wouldn't say When Armies Clash fixes what I want. That's more for large scale battles, not the small scale tactical encounters that the typical adventure involves.

Sure.
One of the big problems my group has is that only one player bought any gear and they only got the explorer's pack - it's not like they have a lack of money either, they all have 1,000s of GP and never bother buying anything except weapons or armour.
You want all the gear you can buy and carry.

Never really. I've seen games where casters were the primary source of damage but never a game where they outshines the martials in a significant way.

Why not a mule?

I didn't realize you could actually split beyond a point. Mainly it just bugs me that all you do with ranged is empty your quiver faster rather than hit harder, but I know for a lot of people the gamey solution is "just pretend the quiver is magic" because apparently resource management is bad.

Along this line: be a forge cleric, and transform the mineral content of the ground into coinage. You can then hire an army of peasants to throw rocks. The magic of bounded accuracy will allow them to hit, and deal a minimum of one damage to anything.

As a forge cleric, you can make 100 gold per short rest. That's 100 times what the average peasant makes in a day IIRC.

>You want all the gear you can buy and carry.
And then you want a horse to carry more gear than you can carry.

>As a forge cleric, you can make 100 gold per short rest.
>UA
>Thinking peasants are going to get themselves hired out for their normal disposable income, which means time away from the fields and no food on the table, adding to their future expenses.

Resource management is okay.
Ammo management in D&D is dumb for several reasons, including but not limited to:
>casters get infinite cantrips for free
>ammo is extremely cheap
>ammo is available in most locations
>ammo doesn't weigh much
>the cost of ammo means you can craft a ton of it in your downtime

And then you carry the horse just to show how tough you are

>>casters get infinite cantrips for free
I consider that one a mistake from the get go. Cantrips should have remained spells that can't rip.

>but I want to cast magic all the time
Then fucking play wow.

>per short rest

You can just take a short rest 16 times a day, sleeping for the rest of it.Set up a quarry outside the village, and keep digging with your magic power. In a day, you can generate enough gold to pay 100 peasants 16 times what they would earn normally in a day.

>play a character that's actually just a full time worker and doesn't adventure
5e is truly the game of kings

He pays the plebes to adventure, to kill the things he unleashed by digging too deep.

A lot of people say shit about it but we use Spellcasting Modifier X 5 Cantrips per short rest. It's enough that they don't have to really worry about it but it does come up sometimes.

The power of money >>>> any spell or feat

youtube.com/watch?v=c8fscLm0M24

Is there a correlation between DnD players and TRPGs?

I've been introduced to Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones by a friend, and it's hitting the same itches I get when in a combat round.