D&D newfag

I don't know how to play this Dungeons and Dragons thing. Teach me.

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read The Fucking Book

RTFM

Step 1: choose an edition
Step 2: Never play, Bitch about why your system is the best.

Alternatively:
Choose Pathfinder. Bitch about how your system isn't that bad with one hand.

Go to the Gamefinder thread and find a party playing DnD.

Pick a fantasy genre that you want to play in and then pick the system and group.
Do you like medieval fantasy? If you don't, then best look at other settings and rulesets.

Even if he does, he'd best look at other settings and rulesets.

get off your lazy ass and read the fucking thing. You might actually learn something

Well instead of being a cunt, I will actually try to help OP, because all of the D&D books, even including 5th edition which is at-worst the second most newb-friendly edition, NONE of them are good at teaching the game.

What edition do you want to play, OP? Do you even know?

Pick an Edition of the game you think you can reasonably find being played or you would like to play.

Obtain core rule books for edition.

Read the books.

Obtain a group. Either by assembling interested friends or locating a game group online through roll20 or at a Friendly Local Games Store.

Find how you play and see how that playstyle meshes with others.

Don't be That Guy.

Try to have fun, but at at the expense or to the discomfort of others.

It also works with Ancient fantasy.

Give me your steam ID or Xbox gamertag and I'll explain to you the rules

I'm not trolling or kidding. Oh and only do it if you're over 18. I refuse to associate with anybody younger than that.

But not as a free action.

That's what the website is for.

dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

List three real problems with OD&D or any of the Basic D&D editions.

I'll wait.

Read the book.
Use google.
Read a campaign setting.

Come back when you understand the basics of the game, people usually ask for advice on Veeky Forums, there's no hand holding here.

Pick someone, hand them a character sheet and tell them they're in your adventure, commence arguing until they leave in disgust.

Repeat until people start paying you to go away. Use the money to buy 40K minis.

Pick a person, hand them half your minis and tell them they're in your battle, commence arguing until they throw your minis on the floor and leave in disgust. Repeat until you're out of minis, then begin the whole process again.

Stay away from GURPS, tho, or you'll never get out of the loop

Go to /osrg/

>List three real problems with OD&D
Not him, but here are ten...
1) Disorganized mess that doesn't properly explain a lot of stuff
2) Looks like it was typed out by your dad on the company typewriter when he was on his lunch break at work
3) Ad hoc system with a muddle of subsystems that operate according to different mechanics (using different dice that sometimes you want to roll high and sometimes you want to roll low)
4) the way the elf works is stupid
5) caster power growth is inconsistent -- at higher levels they gain more spells with each level gain, and the spells they get are more powerful
6) ramping hit points distances you from the game, fighting immersion -- "Oh no! If he hits me with that sword and does maximum damage, I might lose 17% of my hit points!"
7) Few rules for resolving things outside of combat
8) Armor affects your roll to hit rather than your damage roll
9) You rather quickly get to the point where you have little to spend all the gold you find on
10) The saving throw categories are rubbish

this.

>You rather quickly get to the point where you have little to spend all the gold you find on

>living long enough to spend your dungeon gold

1. No one knows how. Knowing this is the first step. Meditate on this.
2. Pretend to be an elf, write down your vital measurements, and coax your friends into playing fantasy football only instead of throwing around a ball and slapping people on the ass you're killing orcs.

First and foremost, you need to make some friends

Pick up Neverwinter Nights 2 and don't just play the game, but get really into understanding all the stuff going on with character customization, items and the mechanics going on in the background. It's not a perfect representation of D&D 3.5, but it'll teach you a lot.

That's how one of my players learned the system. When he jumped from the video game to the table top it took hardly any time for him to understand how to play.

My experience with Neverwinter Nights one and two taught me that monks were an awesome class, in appearance and aptitude. I tried a dnd 3.5 session with a friend of a friend and they quickly assured me that I was wrong. about aptitude at least I'm bummed there isn't an Arcane Scholar of Candledeep prestige class either, but that class was so overpowered anyway.

Pic unrelated

I recall playing as a Sorcerer and Arcane scholar. Cheap metamagic on demand is just too good.

And you make a good point about monks. (Kelgar can pretty much solo the end boss fight, if he's built right they can't fucking touch him)

roll dice, grow to hate dnd, resent your normie friends since this is all they'll ever play.

Here's the rules players need for the Little Brown Books.

Character Generation:
• Dice 3 cubes and add them to find an aptitude. You have three aptitudes.
• Dice 3 cubes and add them to try for a bonus. There are three types of bonuses.
• Pick an archetype, options are: Human, Abhuman-Spook, Vampire-Hunter, subhuman(elf), subhuman(dwarf), subhuman(hobbit).
• Dice a polyhedra (type based on archetype) to find how long you last in a fight.
• Explain why your character is nearby and helpful to the other players.

Central Resolution Mechanic:
• Tell the referee what you're doing.
• The referee arbitrates an outcome OR makes a ruling OR turns a ruling into a rule (if it comes up a lot) OR consults a rule.

Combat:
• (w/ CHAINMAIL) Dice 2 cubes, references your opponents armor and your weapon on pic related.
• (w/out CHAINMAIL) Something, something, dice an icosahedron. How did you even hear of D&D if you don't own CHAINMAIL?
• On a hit, dice a cube. Opponent gets that much closer to losing the fight.

Spells:
• Abhuman-Spook, experienced Vampire-Hunters, and sometimes subhuman(elves) get spells.
• The referee will tell you what spells you have access to.
• Before the adventure, allocate a number of uses of your spells (based on experience).
• Spells do what they say they do, unless you get hit while using them (then they do nothing).

Priorities (in order):
• Rob tombs.
• Survive.

Am I correct to assume you're only attacking OD&D (and not Basic)?
>Disorganized mess that doesn't properly explain a lot of stuff
It explains itself properly, but it's a pain to reference.
Not that you need to (or should) reference it *during* play.
>Looks like it was typed out by your dad on the company typewriter when he was on his lunch break at work
Fair comment (for OD&D), but it doesn't effect the rules and, again, you won't notice *during* play.
>Ad hoc system with a muddle of subsystems that operate according to different mechanics (using different dice that sometimes you want to roll high and sometimes you want to roll low)
Those rules got added based on commonly made rulings Te rulings were (initially) made because they work well.
You're welcome to strip them out, but either way you'll adapt plenty of your own "common rulings" into house-rules.
>the way the elf works is stupid
Point conceded (for OD&D).
>caster power growth is inconsistent -- at higher levels they gain more spells with each level gain, and the spells they get are more powerful
...have you actually read the spell lists? Most of the higher level spells are garbage. *Especially* the 4th and 5th level ones.

>ramping hit points distances you from the game, fighting immersion -- "Oh no! If he hits me with that sword and does maximum damage, I might lose 17% of my hit points!"
A 9th level Fighting-Man has (on average) 34.5 hit points. They can take an average of 9 hits per adventure, dying on the 10th hit.
+1 hit per 1st level Cure spell and +2 hits per 4th level Cure spell.
>Few rules for resolving things outside of combat
"The referee arbitrates an outcome" is always the primary rule for resolving things. Even combat things.
And you already shat over the non-combat rules that emerged as a consequence of this.
>Armor affects your roll to hit rather than your damage roll
To-hit chance and hit points are BOTH heavily abstracted. Armor effecting damage rolls would be just as obtuse.
It would also make things less swingy, which undermines the theme of the game.
>You rather quickly get to the point where you have little to spend all the gold you find on
You rather slowly hoard gold, since so much gets spent on hirelings, mercenaries, and retainers.
God forbid you ever need to pay for a Raise Dead!
>The saving throw categories are rubbish
I'll conceded this point insofar as saving throws are rubbish as a concept.
But tying saves to what (and how) you avoid things makes far more sense then tying them to an attribute.
c also →, →

That's one.
Two more to go.

Question. What happens on a miss during combat? Do I get farther from winning the fight, or just less close?

Also, question. Can I build a castle, and if so, how?

I legitimately want to know what you think is better that's out there. I want to play a fantasy RPG at one point but am not sure if D&D is right for me.

>What happens on a miss during combat?
Nothing.
>Do I get farther from winning the fight, or just less close?
You and your opponent are both as close to losing as you were before.

>Can I build a castle,
Traditionally, you build a castle right before you retire.
>and if so, how?
Acquire materials in one way:
• money
Acquire labor in one of two ways:
• money
• meritous service
Acquire land in one of three ways:
• money
• meritous service
• being strong enough that nobody tells you to leave

Question, are the levels the levels of the dungeon, the levels of my character, the levels of the monsters, or the levels of difficulty?

Question: if a wight hits a vampire with level drain, do they turn into a mummy, and then into other lower level undead?

For beginners, nothing beats Ryuutama.
There's also Legend (Rule of Cool), Fantasy Craft, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Beyond the Wall, Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires, Ironclaw, Make You Kingdom, Reign, and a couple more that go a bit too far away from fantasy to name here.

>Question, are the levels the levels of the dungeon, the levels of my character, the levels of the monsters, or the levels of difficulty?
The first two, but not at the same time.

>Question: if a wight hits a vampire with level drain, do they turn into a mummy, and then into other lower level undead?
Only if the referee is being cheeky.

I have run other RPGs but not many. We've played Delta Green, Call of Cthulhu and some Eclipse Phase. I have head good things about Ryuutama but I'm not exactly a beginner. Mythras/Runequest looks good, albeit maybe too low magic for me.

MY SIDES