/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Continental Marines Edition

Previous thread: boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/51896197

Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/2i859gwsc11nu39/Uniforms of the American Revolution v1 - British and American.pdf
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51896197/#q51983150
fullbattlerattleminiatures.com/
underfireminiatures.com/
sceneryexpress.com/Static-Grasses/products/1046/0/1/
store.warlordgames.com/collections/basing-materials/products/patchy-tufts
store.warlordgames.com/products/late-war-british-paint-set
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

March 3 in military history:

1575 – Indian Mughal Emperor Akbar defeats Bengali army at the Battle of Tukaroi.
1776 – American Revolutionary War: The first amphibious landing of the United States Marine Corps begins the Battle of Nassau.
1779 – American Revolutionary War: The Continental Army is routed at the Battle of Brier Creek near Savannah, Georgia.
1799 – The Russo-Ottoman siege of Corfu ends with the surrender of the French garrison.
1857 – Second Opium War: France and the United Kingdom declare war on China.
1878 – The Russo-Turkish War ends with Bulgaria regaining its independence from the Ottoman Empire according to the Treaty of San Stefano; a few months afterwards the Congress of Berlin stripped its status to a vassal principality of the Ottoman Empire.
1918 – Germany, Austria and Russia sign the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk ending Russia's involvement in World War I, and leading to the independence of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland.
1942 – World War II: Ten Japanese warplanes raid Broome, Western Australia, killing more than 100 people.
1943 – World War II: In London, 173 people are killed in a crush while trying to enter an air-raid shelter at Bethnal Green tube station.
1945 – World War II: American and Filipino troops recapture Manila.
1945 – World War II: The RAF accidentally bombs the Bezuidenhout area of The Hague, Netherlands, killing 511 people.
1980 – The USS Nautilus is decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register.

It is 241 years since the Raid of Nassau, a naval operation and amphibious assault by Colonial forces against the British port of Nassau, Bahamas, during the American Revolutionary War. The battle is considered one of the first engagements of the newly established Continental Navy and the Continental Marines, the respective progenitors of the United States Navy and Marine Corps. The action was also the marines' first amphibious landing.

With the beginning of the American Revolution in April 1775, the Governor of Virginia, Lord Dunmore, directed that the colony's supply of arms and gunpowder be removed to Nassau, Bahamas lest it be captured by colonial forces. Received by Governor Montfort Browne, these munitions were stored in Nassau under the protection of the harbor's defenses, Forts Montagu and Nassau. Despite these fortifications, General Thomas Gage, commanding British forces in Boston, warned Browne that an American attack would be possible. In October 1775, the Second Continental Congress formed the Continental Navy and began purchasing merchant vessels and converting them for use as warships.

The following month saw the creation of the Continental Marines under the guidance of Captain Samuel Nicholas. As Nicholas recruited men ashore, Commodore Esek Hopkins began assembling a squadron at Philadelphia. This consisted of Alfred (30 guns), Columbus (28), Andrew Doria (14), Cabot (14), Providence (12), and Fly (6). After taking command in December, Hopkins received orders from Congress' Marine Committee which directed him to clear British naval forces from the Chesapeake Bay and North Carolina coast. In addition, they gave him some latitude to pursue operations that could be “most beneficial to the American Cause” and “distress the Enemy by all means in your power.”

Departing Cape Henlopen on February 17, Hopkins told his captains to rendezvous at Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas should the squadron become separated. Two days later, the squadron encountered rough seas off the Virginia Capes leading to a collision between Hornet and Fly. Though both returned to port for repairs, the latter succeeded in rejoining Hopkins on March 11. In late February, Browne received intelligence that an American force was forming off the Delaware coast. Though aware of a possible attack, he elected not to take any action as he believed the harbor forts sufficient to defend Nassau. This proved unwise as Fort Nassau's walls were too weak to support the firing of its guns. While Fort Nassau was located near the town proper, the newer Fort Montagu covered the harbor's eastern approaches and mounted seventeen guns. Both forts were poorly sited in regard to defending against an amphibious attack.

Reaching Hole-In-The-Wall at the south end of Great Abaco Island on March 1, 1776, Hopkins quickly captured two small British sloops. Pressing these into service, the squadron moved against Nassau the following day. For the attack, Nicholas' 200 Marines along with 50 sailors were transferred to Providence and the two captured sloops. Hopkins intended for the three vessels to enter the port at dawn on March 3. The troops would then quickly land and secure the town. Approaching the harbor in the morning light, Providence and its consorts were spotted by the defenders who opened fire. With the element of surprise lost, the three vessels aborted the attack and rejoined Hopkins' squadron at nearby Hanover Sound. Ashore, Browne began making plans to remove much of the island's gunpowder using vessels in the harbor as well as dispatched thirty men to reinforce Fort Montagu.

As Nicholas consolidated his men, a British lieutenant from Fort Montagu approached under a flag of truce. When asked of his intentions, the American commander replied that they sought to capture the island's munitions. This information was conveyed to Browne who had arrived at the fort with reinforcements. Badly outnumbered, the governor decided to withdraw the bulk of the fort's garrison back to Nassau. Pressing forward, Nicholas captured the fort later in the day, but elected not to drive on the town.

As Nicholas held his position at Fort Montagu, Hopkins issued a proclamation to the island's residents stating he was there solely to take the munitions. While this had the desired effect of preventing civilian interference with his operations, the failure to carry the town on March 3 allowed Browne to embark most of the island's gunpowder on two vessels. These sailed for St. Augustine around 2:00 AM on March 4 and cleared the harbor with no issues as Hopkins had failed to post any of his ships at its mouth.

The next morning, Nicholas advanced on Nassau and was met by the town's leaders who offered up its keys. Approaching Fort Nassau, the Americans occupied it and seized Browne without a fight. In securing the town, Hopkins captured eighty-eight cannon and fifteen mortars as well as variety of other much-needed supplies. Remaining on the island for two weeks, the Americans embarked the spoils before departing.

Although bloodless, this encounter is a fascinating moment of the AWI, and provides inspiration for a similar-themed wargame where the odds are more even. The amphibious aspect is novel for its time and offers the chance for naval gaming alongside the land fighting.

mediafire.com/file/2i859gwsc11nu39/Uniforms of the American Revolution v1 - British and American.pdf

The community project this month is an obsolete unit or vehicle.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51896197/#q51983150
They should be in our Napoleonics/Games folder

anyone play gary grigsby games?
also ASL user you got any reccomended ww2 computer wargames

grisby games are very.,...involved and very micro managy. Some people love digging into that kinda of stuff. I dont mind it if the manual is well laid out and under the hood stuff is explained real well. Last i tried any grisby stuff was the stuff he did for SSI back in the late 80s. I would love to try his War in the East...but that price tag....ugh

plenty of computer wargames out there. Slitherine/Matirx is probably the biggest publisher your going to find out there. check out their website. Steam also ends up carrying a lot of their stuff.

Im a big fan of John Tiller software games.

AGEOD games are pretty good if your into hyper detailed games.

it all depends on what you are looking for...simple-hard, what scale, what era. narrow it down a bit and I can point you in right directions.

Some new 28mm Canadians recently turned up.
fullbattlerattleminiatures.com/

Look like nice models, but 20mm is where it's at.

Favorite source for Not!Africa models in 15/20mm? Mostly for Ambush Alley

underfireminiatures.com/

Elhiem too depending on what period.

ded thred

Caesar's modern militia.

So I'm having trouble finding the best rules to use. Difficult to tell from a cursory glance which rules are for things like 10mm or below (bigger units of people) vs 28 mm and such (tinier units of people).

Mainly looking for what kind of rules would be good for say 10mm or below for the battle of zama. I found a couple of blogs about it. I want to go as big as possible.

If you have like an 8-12 foot table you could probably have the exact number of soldiers at 3mm.

Will probably sorta combine this with last month's challenge and put together a team of mostly-obselete tanks.

Props to the first person to guess what exactly I mean by this.

Anglerfish team?

Correct in one.

Also have four more Type 89 that could also use a paintjob.
Those sure as hell were obselete by the end of the war, even by pacific standards.

Hm, I have a Type 89 as well...got the IBG kit some weeks ago. Right now I have no plans to start my Japs in the foreseeable future, but I might do this one.

Quite frankly I can't think of any better at the moment...

8 Fairey Swordfishes for my WW2 air combat family coming right up...

Oh damn these are perfect. Thanks!

Tho to be fair, 1/100 scale allows me to do a fair bit more than a single Panzer IV.

I am, however, running into a bit of an issue with the Type 3 Chi-Nu I'm converting out of a Type 97 mini.
I don't currently have access to plasticard/foamcore, so I have to find something else to create the basic shape of the turret.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can't you get a separate turret from somewhere? Will probably arrive before the deadline and you can paint the rest of them, including the body of the Type 3...

Couldn't find anyone actually producing a Chi-Nu turret in 1/100 scale, which is why I'm scratchbuilding.

Maybe on Shapeways?

Some of these guys that 3d print tanks can surely sell you a turret.
It is how a friend got a Ram tank turret.

You could do layers of cardstock and just build it up as a solid piece, topo style. Then fill the gaps with some putty and sand it to shape.

How do you guys base your men (WW2 and before)? I've seen flock in some hobby stores and online but it looks extortionately expensive

Nice quads.

Decor sand applied with PVA, painted brown with cheap acrylics, drybrushed with bone white, static grass applied in patches, then some tufts. A big tub of static grass lasts for years.

Flocks look shite for this, don't use them.

I use Vallejo basing paste (grey pumice) to apply a texture and fill any gaps. You can even make some little contours with it and it dries after a couple hours.

After that, I generally paint in an appropriate shade of grey or brown, drybrush with a lighter shade to highlight and maybe add some static grass.

I use static grass, corck, scenic grasses, flock and small rocks/twigs/seedpods to make my bases.

Vallejo earth texture paint followed by a wash followed by whatever grass and/or tufts i think looks good.

as illustration

How are the figures? I'd like to get a few Japanese tank crew figures at some point to put in hatches; the ones Skytrex used to make were god-awful blobs

>plasticard

Got to hardware store and check the signs aisle. They'll typically have a variety of signs (For Sale, Keep Out, etc) printed on (rather thin) styrene.

Really nice. You get two with the kit, one is a full standing one, and the other is just a torso to put in the hatch. Good and sharp details, I really like them. They both have their own sprues, so not sure if they put the same two in every Jap box or you get different ones.

Even a small tub of static grass will last forever. Avoid buying from GW or other outfits claiming to be the one true hobby source. Model rail sites have it for pretty cheap.

sceneryexpress.com/Static-Grasses/products/1046/0/1/

Well, I've mostly built one out of spare MtG cards now.
Will post pics in a while.

So the Perry bros will do 8mm plastic minis.

I'm okay with this.

8mm ...
I just started some 10mm Napoleonics. Great.

And here we go.

Details will be added once the basic shape is done.

it's a good job for you then that all the traditional 10mm metals look much better than those plastic 8mms.

In fact I'd still go with any metal 6mm or 10mm over those perry's.

t. Someone with literally thousands each of 6mm and 10mm Napoleonics.

Yeah those 3 ups are pretty uninspiring. The impression I have is that they're going for more like tokens for a portable board game rather than wargaming figures.

The first thing I see is risk figures, partly because risk figures are about 10mm and all 1 colour, but partly because they really don't look any more detailed than Risk figures to my eye.

I'm imagining it will be a battle in a box sort of wargame? All the troops to do a big battle like waterloo but without needing 1000 28s?

Would you say its worth getting several types of static grass of different lengths to keep it looking alright?

Also what do you think of priming a mini brown with the sand, especially if I'm doing some WW2 Brits?

Thanks though! I'll report back after I've got some done!

>Would you say its worth getting several types of static grass of different lengths to keep it looking alright?

If you only doing one army and nothing else then you can save a few bucks by getting just one type of grass. But for me, with having multiple armies, it would kinda look awful if they all have the same basing style. I try to "theme" them a little.

At this point i have a big pot of "spring" static grass, one with a darker type of grass and 4 (and a few leftover blisters with 2-3 tufts) blisters of tufts like link related:
store.warlordgames.com/collections/basing-materials/products/patchy-tufts

In the end, these mats last kinda forever, the pots with the static grass especially so for me their purchase was well justified.

Keep in mind you don't have to buy everything at once.

When it comes to basing and painting, my process typically is:

Clean/assemble minis.
Put them on bases.
Apply basing paste to bases.
Basecoat spray.
Paint/drybrush bases
Paint actual minis (sometimes first coat of main colour before the base is done).
Apply grass to bases.
Varnish.

Pretty straightforward.

I think the time has come that I need to accept that I'll never have the space to get back into miniatures. Damned kids rummage through all my shit.

Only hope I have is that I get a gun safe for what shit I do have

Thank you very much!

No basement, garage or hobby room for yourself?

>Damned kids rummage through all my shit.

Have you considered telling them not to mess with your shit?

I'm becoming oddly obsessed with the Rhodesian Bush War right now. Favourite rulesets for it? I think Ambush Alley is perfect for it, but I'm interested in people's opinions.

As I now have more books for FoF than the number of games I've played with it, I'm obliged to mention that with the Bush War expansion.

Also, get some short shorts for the maximum period feel.

Well, the Force on Force supplement Bush War (and the Ambush Valley one too though it's lacking on the VC front) is great but I'd always recommend No End In Sight to cover it instead as a system. Mostly because I got fed up with having to remember the shit-ton of modifiers that go into doing anything in FoF, and the all-fall-down-then-stand-up routine. NEIS just does the same approach to simulating that level of battle but better through being more streamlined and doing some neat stuff with stress and reactions along the way.

I do hope that one gets a pdf in the folders eventually. Technical heaven.

>I'm becoming oddly obsessed with the Rhodesian Bush War right now. Favourite rulesets for it? I think Ambush Alley is perfect for it, but I'm interested in people's opinions.

I've the same level of interest. Especially because of the absurd kill ratios and the multiple daily paratroop drops.

Does FoF's Bush War handle drops? Or the air cav tactics?

If I wasn't so goddamn lazy I'd scan it...

Core rulebook covers drops IIRC, and the core covers most of the fireforce stuff. I think bush wars expands on fireforce a little bit, but I'd have to open the book to tell you for sure.

Thanks. How about helo support? Slicks were a big part of the Rhodesian's tactics?

There's like 3 or 4 different helicopter fire support missions in the core book ranging from missile attack to lateral strafing with gun pods.

20mm
Elhiem Figures
Empress Miniatures
RH Models

15mm
Rebel Minis
Khurasan Miniatures

Thanks again, user, for answering my questions.

Also to mention that they have rules for fixed wing and rotary wing support. But the available air assets depending on the scenario.

My thanks to you too.

No problem. If you try the system on a reduced level try this.

As a starting point for FoF it is the best way. I found that on boardgamegeek.com.

Late Medieval wargaming in 15mm; what to do?

Impetus?

How much figs to start playing that you think?

Do we have any of the Kriegspiel maps in the archive?

Mi-2 a cute

>tfw everyone uses the Hip and Hind for their heliborne forces

Hoplite deserves love too.

BMD

Tfw I finally have a decent amount of terrain either made, ready to be made or in the post, enough to do a skirmish campaign without every scenario looking identical

Question: Has ever been a war with France and Germany/Prussia against England?

During Napoléon France empire...the rhine federation was allied with France. This federation contain different german kingdoms and duchy. German forces fought on both sides during the Battle of Waterloo.

After 1809, did Austria and Prussia have to declare a war on Britain? Even if it eventually became a phoney war, was the declaration made?

The War of Austrian Succession saw the France and Prussia (plus several others) fighting the UK and Austria (plus several others).

As explained, at many times during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars various German polities allied with France against the UK.

I'm fairly certain Caesar brought Gaul and German auxiliaries to Britannia.

>After 1809, did Austria and Prussia have to declare a war on Britain?

No, they merely had to adhere to the Continental system.

>Even if it eventually became a phoney war, was the declaration made?

No.

Okay. I thought it was like with Sweden which were made to declare war against Britain but they kept on trading nonetheless

Progress!

Which of these to get fully painted first, though?

Welp, didn't mean to quote there.

I think about doing a Panzer IV in Syrian colours as the group project this time. Thoughts?

the hetzer of course

Sounds cool.

Depending on the scale, a T-34 for it to fight alongside might also be cool to illustrate the ragtag assembly of vehicles they had there at that point.

M3 Lee. In Hot Pink.

i don't have an unbuilt T-34 though. But i'll look into that. Maybe they had some other stuff i have lying around.

warlord mid/late war British. But how do I paint them? Brown uniform, light webbing, green helmet? What colors would that be, in GW or Italleri terms?

You could have fun giving it whatever paint scheme you wanted. I can only imagine how crazy tank nuts would get if one of them had appeared during the recent war.

Make it a Lee or Grant in British service for the desert war and it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented.

Guessing it's the showmatch team from the film with Chi-ha-tan? Are you going to add tanks from the other teams ala the University match later on or are these all the Garupan tanks you'll do?

Have a look at store.warlordgames.com/products/late-war-british-paint-set or pdf related

If thats a reference to what I think it is, I'm going to need to go get my weeb bat.

Well, the spare Type 89s are mostly there cause I got a box of 5.
Chihatan mostly used Type 97 Chi-Ha, so they wouldn't even be fully appropriate.

I do have decals for all Oarai tanks apart from the Tiger (P) and Chi-Nu, plus some Saunders and Kuromorimine sheets. Two M4A3 Shermans and either a M36 or M10 already reserved for Saunders stuff as well.
Which reminds me I also have a Tiger I I should be painting dunkelgelb for that.

Well, I was planning on the final battle lineup, so no hot pink for this one.
Plus, it would make Yukari disapprove.

Will probs go with the Hetzer plus a Kuromorimine Tiger I for now.

saw this pic recently pop up, but i think its from a earlier conflict.

Is that renault ft-17's?

Japanese Type 89 medium tanks, which were slightly more advanced.

Still mediocre at best at the start of WW2.

Yom Kippur