Why are dwarves associated with technology?

Why are dwarves associated with technology?

Other urls found in this thread:

radiotimes.com/news/2013-11-14/sir-ian-mckellen-filming-the-hobbit-made-me-think-i-should-quit-acting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Jesus fucking Christ that movie.

Such incredible shit. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Industry and shit I guess

I remember trying to watch the first hobbit movie once some time before they were all out then giving up very quickly due to everything being fucked up looking (I think it was the colors. I don't really remember). Everything I've seen about them since then has given me the impression it was the right thing to do

Something wrong, user?

Because they were associated with it in the original mythology the modern concept of Dwarves drew on? Dwarves in Norse mythology made shit. Awesome shit.

That is stupid on levels that even WIZARDRY cannot fucking explain.

Lazy fantasy writers rely on cliches, one of these being that dorfs and knife-ears are opposites. The opposite of being a tree-hugging luddite is technology.

I don't understand your problem.

It's okay, dwarves did it.

Don't remember that scene.

Would have loved watching dick elves get btfo.

Ok seriously who the fuck thought this was a good scene and why the fuck did the actors agree to this shit?

Associated with living inside of mountains that they excavate to create their cities/dwellings? Big needs for large mining equipment to excavate mountain sized chunks of rock. Having an underground civilisation calls for all manners of technology I suppose. They gotta use all the rock and metal they move around for something anyway, plus the geologically active centre of a mountain/volcano/deep earth is an awesome setting for a huge foundry/forge

I almost scrubbed how fucking stupid that battle was out of my head, thanks OP.

COME ON! This has to be the most retarded one yet. Seriously what the fuck?

Friendly reminder that acting against greenscreens reduced Ian McKellen to tears.

No.

Yes.

These are deleted scenes right? I seriously don't remember anything this bad happening.

Unless I blocked it out.

Stop complaining, this movie is 100% as good as LotR.

>That moment when you watch the extended cut hoping it might make it better
>Yfw it makes it worse

Are these real and are they extended cut or original? I didn't manage to watch any version that pile of shit through to the end.

Oh they aren't even trying now. That's it I give up.

>MISTAKES WERE MADE

So, we aren't here to answer OPs question, but to have a /tv/ thread instead? One that we had a million times by now?

Some of them are deleted scenes available on blu-ray, including the OP and the Alfrid catapult.

I associate them with alcoholism, midgets and dirt

The FPS difference is much more important than you consciously register. CGI plus 60FPS does not look like a movie anymore, it looks like a video game, and even if you can't point out specifically what's wrong with it your brain notices.

King Dain in the OP's scene was just an uncanny valley nightmare.

Suddenly don't feel so bad about the sledding scene in two towers.

In fairness, however, it's not like the Hobbit movies are the worst thing ever.

Okay, but the falling rocks thing is done a lot in fantasy movies/shows. Usually with more weight to the actions, but still

That one wasn't even a deleted scene sadly. Seriously how the fuck could they have been this incompetent with how big the budget was and how good tech is these days.

The OP question was pretty dumb and has been answered.
It's because of Dwarves being exceptional smiths in norse mythology.

The problem with the Hobbit movies is how much better they could have been. There's no excuse for this shit after LotR laid the groundwork.

Significant large scale remembering projects.

Didn't bother me at all.
>It looks too good
Seems like a weird complaint.

I came here to say Norse mythology. I said Norse mythology. I stuck around because I actually hadn't seen these scenes and I can't help but stop to stare and hate.

They would have done more angles, but there weren't any left that didn't have cameras in them

What's so bad about this? None of the movies make any effort to have realistic military tactics.

Budget and tech was probably part of the problem.

Peter Jackson pulled a George Lucas and forgot about practical effects, then he went off the fucking wall with his retarded, impractical nonsense that looks awful anyway.

>Why are dwarves associated with technology?

Ask the ancient Norse I guess. Some of the earliest mythology regarding dwarves paints them as craftsmen and blacksmiths.

At least the choreography for that was halfway decent and it looked like he was actually doing it. I mean it was a retarded scene, but it wasn't just Orlando bloom flailing spasticly and guys falling over like this was.

Being a smith doesn't make you atomatically a good engineer, architect and scientist.

There's realism and there's suspension of disbelief/consistent settings. LotR, partly because of the limits of special effects tech at the time (both practical and CGI) could not go full retard.

You can have something unrealistic but still not shatter suspension of disbelief.

The Hobbit just got fucking dumb. It wasn't "wow that's cool" or "haha that's charming" it was "what the fuck were they thinking".

The utter shitting on of Suspension of Disbelief? Seriously all of the shit in these scene are retarded. The Orc headbutt especially. He has a HUGE amount of reach on the dorf. Why in the fuck does he not grab said dorf and break his neck?!??!!? FUCK!

No but it's the same fucking kind of thing. Smithing is literally just ancient high technology. Dwarves are famous for building things because they've always been famous for building things.

It doesn't hurt either though. There's definitely some overlap there.

I don't think it's really fair to compare Jackson to Lucas. I'm pretty sure Peter Jackson just wanted out and these movies were mostly designed my a committee of executives who really wanted to make another lord of the rings trilogy despite the lack of source material or people who give a shit backing it up

I would have preferred random musical numbers and deliberate comedy shit over what we got.
I always felt the hobbit was the charming english roadtrip story to leaven out the dreary norse epic fanfiction of LotR.

Also, I liked the river barrels fight scene, as ridiculous as it was..

>who really wanted to make another lord of the rings trilogy despite the lack of source material
The sad thing is they could have made two solid films instead of three padded ones and it might well have worked (assuming they fixed the other issues like shit CGI). Picrelated would make for a great standalone film but I suppose incest isn't going to sell to normalfags.

>Dwarves are famous for building things because they've always been famous for building things
I don't remember them building anything in the mythologies. They basically lived in caves.

The overlapp is there, but you can't just go from nice magical items, created more or less by magic than technology, to steampunk gyrocopters and call it a day.

>as good as lotr
>being this bluepilled

...Seriously? Do you live under the misty mountains.

They made Freya's boat, they made a magic boar.

Almost everything of any importance in norse mythology is made by dwarfs.

>I don't remember them building anything in the mythologies. They basically lived in caves.

Nigga, they made Thor's Hammer, Odins spear and jewelry so rad Freja fucked a bunch of them just to get it.

You know as stupid as that scene is, there's a small part of me that loves seeing the elves get so irrevocably blown the fuck out.

>Freya's boat
It's a boat. Has nothing to do with architecture, nothing to do with machines.
>magic boar
Magic.
Again, how do we get from these magical items to giant underground halls and steampunk cannons?

You didn't respond to my post at all.

They are assholes. Just like elves are uppity elitist assholes dwarves are stubborn autistic assholes.
Being technologically savvy gives them access to more creative ways of manifesting that assholity and separates their particular flavor of being annoying from the ways of the other races. Just like those ol' twirly whirlies

But being smith living underground leads to need of functional machinery (venting, pumping flooded levels, foundries working without easy to get slave labour)

There's nothing more unrealistic about it than literally everything about how everyone fights, the complete lack of real organisation, the short faggots not just instantly getting btfo.
I find it strange that people for some reason draw the line here.
There's nothing in universe that would suggest this kind of technology isn't possible.

Boatmaking has everything to do with craftmanship, skill and technology. The methods of manipulating the materials and the structure of the boat IS technology, even more so than most masonry.

Not him, but the dwarves are only inspired by Norse mythology, not same. And since they should be able to create exceptional items, they need way to do that. And beauty was taken by elves, so you are left with quality/complexity.

Because as these guys have said, Norse mythology dwarves were expert craftsmen and blacksmiths. Later on this got diluted by other authors until you were left with "dwarves build stuff."

Mix that with this and you get dwarves building the best tech.

Boatmaking shouldn't be absent then in the dwarves repertoire of our standard fantasy worlds we have today.

I mean, that scene was stupid but that hurricanrana was kinda sick.

I never got what everyones problem with this scene was.

That is an interesting defense against rains of arrows, though.

Well I mean, Elves don't leave footprints, so the physics defying jumping shite isn't entirely bulllshit

Admittedly out of all the scenes shown in this thread it is the least offensive, buy it's still daft.

Source?

It's not the physics defying bullshit that gets me, it's how shitilly it was done. It looks like shit. It looks worse than some asian films I've seen where you know beyond a shadow of a doubt the fucker is on a wire. It's just poorly executed.

I can hear the Super Mario music in my head

Type it in google and you'll get fucktons, apparently he also explained it in an interview on the extended edition DVD if you were dumb enough to buy it.

Germanic folklore + scandinavian mythology

Here's one: radiotimes.com/news/2013-11-14/sir-ian-mckellen-filming-the-hobbit-made-me-think-i-should-quit-acting
"The veteran actor says, “I got absolutely miserable and had a little cry to myself. I didn’t realise that the microphone I was wearing was open so everybody could hear me muttering to myself about how I wanted to go home and so on.”
Apparently filming for the 3D meme meant they couldn't do shit with the actors just being at different distances like in LotR.

Thanks. I suddenly don't feel bad about only having seen half of the first movie.

The arrow deflecting trickery wasn't that bad, the other shit in this thread though? Pure cancer holy shit.

There's an actual video floating around of him filming the scene, I'll see if I can at least find a picture. Imagine him at a greenscreen table with little pictures of the other actors that just light up when they talk, shit is depressing when you compare it to how they filmed LotR.

Can't find the table but have this instead.

That bilbo face floating in the background is what he was acting opposite, by the way. Also wasn't the Hobbit Christopher Lee's last film?

Honestly blaming jackson is bullshit anyway, he wasn't supposed to be involved at all as more than a producer, I heard. There were planned practical effects and plenty of material and extras for the orcs and all sorts of shit but then the executives got all fucking uppity and shat on what was already there. Jackson was brought in after shit was already rolling, and was told to basically start over, but he didn't have the time he needed, so he was stressed out and overworked and used all the CGI because he had no choice what so ever.

I remember all the actor commentary from LotR. They generally described the entire experience as incredibly grueling yet totally worth it because of how awesome it was to be running around New Zealand with the other members of the cast. I imagine taking all the good parts of that away would just make the whole thing a miserable experience.

>because he had no choice what so ever.
He could have had a spine and fucked off instead of taking the money.

Was he under contract? if so, perhaps he couldn't.

You can't simplify something or make a value judgement when you don't have all the information, what you just posted added absolutely nothing to the thread.

>I remember all the actor commentary from LotR. They generally described the entire experience as incredibly grueling yet totally worth it because of how awesome it was to be running around New Zealand with the other members of the cast.
Yeh, I know they had to train for a few weeks to learn how to actually paddle boats for the scenes on the Auduin. I can't imagine picrelated is anywhere near as fun as that.

It's almost like artists take liberties and expand upon some concepts.

The only thing that irks me is that the times don't match, but that's expected in movies.

>Was he under contract? if so, perhaps he couldn't.
He was brought in to replace someone else who fucked off, unless he had a wildly different contract to the previous man it seems possible. He seems happy enough to have taken all the cash after the fact without crying about studio interference also. He even participated in hyping the films up before release. You can also dig through various behind the scenes parts and hear plenty of people talk about how excited he was that tech had finally caught up to his 'vision', a worryingly Lucas-like attitude to be sure.
>You can't simplify something or make a value judgement when you don't have all the information
Well since none of us know the inner workings of the studio I guess everyone involved will have to remain forever blameless.

It's almost like you are too lazy to give some proper answer.

Christopher wouldn't sell them the rights under torture. That fucker hates them the most.

Also, if what said was true, it seems unlikely Jackson could not have some degree of creative control, I know decisions like replacing the antagonist orcs with CGI were done after his arrival (apparently the practical effect orcs looked 'goofy' despite how they came out in LotR). If executives were just going to ignore him why bother bringing him in anyway?

Even if we are charitable and accept CGI and 3D were not his fault shit like the scenes in this very thread certainly are (he at least signed off on them). Unless, of course, you wish to claim nameless executives were so involved with the film they actually decided what scenes were to be created etc and, again, what point would there then have been in hiring him?

>Christopher wouldn't sell them the rights under torture. That fucker hates them the most.
That's probably for the best all considered. I know he also wasn't a fan of the LotR films (at least the second and the third).

That was a proper answer. Attacking my post's style definitely isn't.

Stating that you can expand a concept doesn't explain how and why. OPs question starts with a "why". Nobody denied that the basic concept has been expanded. It was a non-answer.

No, but smithing on the atomic level does. :^)

About three minutes in google tells you Jackson was involved in writing the plot at the very least from 2008 onwards.

Considering how he did on LOTR with it's plot my issues with characterization aside, being a writer doesn't make him solely or hell even half responsible for the shit show.

Back when all the Old Norse sagas originated, there wasn't really a rigid classification for mythological creatures. Our images of dwarfs, elves, gnomes and others are a post-Tolkien development. There used to be Svártalfar (black elves) and Dökkálfar (darkelves) which might have been synonymous with dwarfs. Dwarfs were often contacted by the Aesir, the main Norse gods, to forge and craft magical items such as gleipnir, the fetters for the wolf Fenrir; Draupnir, the ring from which eight other identical rings "dripped" every ninth night; Odin's spear Gugnir; Thor's hammer Mjölnir; and Gullinbursti, an awakened mechanical boar.
By now I hope you can see where the association of dwarfs with technology comes from. At some point they weren't only good at making magical items, but everything. There used to be a time when the sword of an invincible hero had to be forged by dwarfs, not elves, in order to be the hottest shit around.

Well I wouldn't blame him soley but he was involved from the start and he knew full well what he was getting into when he signed on. If his ability to influence the films was so limited he is blameless for the fuckup he shouldn't have agreed to step in and direct in the first place.

>being so cucked you can't deduce sarcasm