EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Fun cards edition

Previous episode:
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread topic
What's your favorite janky combo/interaction?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=0&output=spoiler&method=visual&action=advanced&color= ![G] ![U] ![C]&type= ["Creature"]&subtype= ["Human"]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

POST EM

Cheating Pic related in and then jokulhaups or apocalypse

Alright /edhg/

I've decided to make a deck with nothing but beefy, manly men. No homo of course. I've already got my first creature card, pic related. What are some other studly male creatures that I could include?

>What's your favorite janky combo/interaction?
Enchanted Evening + Ajani's Chosen
technically still playing a game from last year as the stack has yet to resolve

Looks like you need to lay off the white

Congrats, you ended the game in a draw

dont listen to him
i also play white in every single deck i build
its good

except mono black

>What's your favorite janky combo/interaction?
Buyback+Paradox Engine

Worst Fears/Mindslaver/Sorin Ult with anything that has an opponent of mine making a choice. "I would LOVE to put all the cards from your Fact or Fiction into one pile!" "You're tapping preacher? Here, have my insane voltron commander!" Oh sure there are better things to do with controlled turns, especially Mindslaver going infinite, but abusing the everloving fuck out of effects that would normally invite someone to try to screw me is just so hillariously dirty...

Unless you can drop either offending card at instant speed, then it just loops until you choose to exit.

>no homo of course
Uh huh...Just run gayboys you fairy.

Hero of Iroas

Not sure about creatures, but you need to run Succumb to Temptation.

Well, unless you plan to run gay couple. Then you can't.

either art for tormented hero

Sadistic sacrament also kinda fits

Phalanx Leader. This is lookng like a Weenie Heroic themed deck

>succumb to temptation

oh I remember this when it got spoiled.

Wort in the 99 in tokensandramp.dec with like 15-20 useful spells to copy, y/n?

Why not commander?

You've included Plow Under, right?

Bruse Tarl or Zurgo for commander.

Bruse Tarl & Ravos my man. Sure, the latter is a bit of a twink but it allows you access to Mardu

You'll need access to both red and white for Gideon and Koth, as well as Iroas, Purphoros and Heliod.

Just look through Theros spoilers in general, you'll find plenty.

We can allow twinks. This is a celebration of male vitality.

Depends on what spells you're copying. If it's mostly draw and removal with your ramp being mostly artifacts, the 6 mana is going to be a bit steep. If you're ramping with spells, it's ridiculous. You could try Mirari as well.

Because while I like the concept in theory, I'm certain that I'll hate playing it because it'll just be durdling for 5-8 turns followed by a 30 minute turn to find out if I'm able to storm off or not. In the 99 she'd just be doubling my ramp, removal, card draw and the occasional Second Harvest.

No, why would I run that instead of red LD if I want to be a cunt?

>limber, well-balanced and taut with muscle
>not male vitality

Look, he's a spirit, he can't help the sparkles. He can beat the shit out of people with that cane tho

Pic related as commander and throw Kresh in there.

I said I'd allow it!

>CAN allow twinks

6 months after building my 5 color basic land deck, this is still my favorite card in said deck.

Denying an opponent their next four draws as well as taking out their resources is much, much more evil. Now imagine reverberating it

Oh my b

don't even swing this way, the concept's just funny and these kinds of decks usually find spicy tech

What planeswalkers? FUCKING INVINCIBLE and Koth are obvious, but what about the less combative colors? Does blue have anything to offer?

This is my guilty pleasure in my Gay Greeks deck

It's a do not a may so no you can't. You do technically need a third piece for the combo if enchanted evening was out first, but that can be any permanent. Same goes for spore mound + life and limb, put a land or saproling onto the battlefield and you need to remove one or the other or you never stop getting sproling forests.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?page=0&output=spoiler&method=visual&action=advanced&color= ![G] ![U] ![C]&type= ["Creature"]&subtype= ["Human"]

It's only 13 pages, and when you're only looking at the art, should go like a breeze.

Garruk, any Garruk.

>guilty pleasure
dude its straight value, though I have ways of casting it like 4-5 times a game
heh
3 mana target player picks what cards kill him hah

Of course you're supposed to recur it. The only unsavory aspect of it is you having a wank session in front of your opponents when you cast it, eternal witness it, then Feldon the Witness it all in the same go

that sounds like a good time to me

Bearer of heavens + sac outlet

Thoughts on pic related in general and it in OG Omnath specifically? It's served me well in the past and I've never been hit by the drawback, but I'm making cuts and I never see any builds that use it. I'm inclined to keep it, but I'd like a second opinion.

I would run primal command over it. 1 more mana and sorcery, but way more versatile.

If you are running original omnath, wouldnt genesis wave, chord calling, green sun zenith be better picks?

You have the mana to burn.

No

Run her as commander

Use Valakut package as your prime wincon

I've got GSZ and Genwave, yeah. Chord is on the order list. I DO have a primal command. That could work better, yeah.

>mfw my group has allowed the use of Primeval Titan
>mfw planning on Titania with Prime Time in the 99

They aren't going to know what hit them.

>mfw my group has allowede oldrakul
>mfw he's now in command of my Kozilek deck
>mfw next time my playgroup gets together they will know the true meaning of suffering

They deserve everything they have coming to them for that dumbass move. Primetime is crazy strong

What he was saying was if you had a Disenchant in hand you can break the combo yourself.

Yeah, I'm really only doing it to teach them the error of their ways.

>Primeval Titan
I know its banned, but can anyone tell me why? I am fairly new to commander, and I am curious as to what land combo makes him ban worthy.

>painter's servant is still banned.

How can a group of people be as consistently and stubbornly incompetent as the rules committee?

Because it's a value train and as soon as it comes online, the game tends to stop being "Commander" and starts being "Who can reanimate/clone/steal Primeval Titan"

Do you even know why they banned it? It's not something they're likely to change course on.

There is no specific land combo. But primeval Titan was unquestionably the most fun bribery target in the format, generally. So, like sylvan primordial, entire games warped around bribing, cloning, bouncing, blinking, and stealing prime time, because casuals can't into restraint.

"enters the battlefield" effects on creatures are repeatable in many ways
ramping two lands per attack on top of the ETB is great
you can search for non-basic lands

Why'd they ban it? Because of the Iona interaction?

Sylvan also had the extra problem of being a HUGE tempo swing. "Blow up the 3 biggest artifacts/enchantments/planeswalkers on the board, and also I ramp"

Because there were multiple no-fun combos involving it (Grindstone, Teysa, Iona) and it was easier to just ban the common thread among them.

Because it can combine with some basic pieces for stupid shit. Servant + grindstone goes into any deck and becomes an instant kill on any players. More if you can untap grindstone in the same turn. You can also combine it with Iona to effectively make someone unable to play magic.

I know the stated reasons, and the actual reasons.

The stated reasons are retarded, and don't mesh with their attitude on other bans. The actual reasons are that Sheldon lost a few games to it, and the RC is a group of retards incapable of either having a coherent philosophy, or consistently applying whatever philosophy they do have.

how odd, that makes it seem incredibly arbitrary.

grindstone combo no? Two artifacts that will end the game, and can fit literally in any deck. Basically making commander a 98 card format

>The actual reasons are that Sheldon lost a few games to it, and the RC is a group of retards incapable of either having a coherent philosophy, or consistently applying whatever philosophy they do have.
[Citation Needed]

I don't think I'll ever get tired of the "Sheldon bans whatever beats him" meme.

Servant plus grindstone isnt even in the top 100 most degenerate things you can do in vintage. Protip: if your combo loses to anyone who has an oldeldrazi in their deck, your combo sucks.

Iona is the problem with the painter's servant combo, not servant. In any sensible application of the RC ban list, Iona would be banned.

>tfw it will never be unbanned
>all I want to do is some Jaya Ballard shenanigans

So why do we still have Deadeye Navigator

Because Sheldon has a deadeye navigator.

Because it's not colorless, can be disrupted easier, costs literally three times as much mana, and it's not a unique effect. If you ban Deadeye, those combos still exist, they just use slightly different cards. There's not a ready replacement for Painter's Servant in the same way.

That sounds like an argument for keeping servant in the format for diversity, and banning deadeye for the same.

>tfw finally got around to building nekusar
>tfw playing commander with my group and resolve windfall 3 times in the same turn
tfw 30 plus damage to each opponent

God nekusar is sexy anybody have any secret tech cards for him?

>Thread topic
What's your favorite janky combo/interaction?
I love pia's revolution in my Bosh Iron Golem artifact throwing deck its literally double dipping and i love every minute of it.

>Jamming a two-card instant kill combo into any deck regardless of color is good for variety

Just find a group of players who'll let you play it.

>Still thinking servant/grindstone is good

See

Respond to the Soulbond trigger, you fucking gay baby.

Corrupted Conscience and Phyresis

Also Sigil of Sleep, that shit is hilarious

>Literally two cards that are hardly in any decks stop this combo so it's unplayable shit
I'm not saying it's the most busted combo in the universe, I'm saying giving access to a two card "i immediately win this game" combo to literally every deck in the format is not a good idea.

>implying everyone is a tryhard waac
I COULD play Food Chain in my Prossh but that doesn't mean that i SHOULD do it

Not ever deck are running old eldrazi, and even then plenty of decks cant deal with their library in their graveyard.

So I fail to see why commander should now be a 98 card format as painters servant/grindstone are now in every deck

Metalworker + staff of domination goes in every deck too, but that's unbanned now.

So, which is it, fuckmouth? Is the combo utter trash not even worth playing, or does using it render you a "tryhard waac" faggot? It can't be both.

BIG SWORDS

Then ban Grindstone and Iona - one is only useful for the combo and the other is one of the most fun-police cards in the format besides the combo so it's a win-win. Teysa still has Darkest Hour anyway and tons of tutors for it so she isn't affected much. Meanwhile Painter's Servant was useful for a shitload of interesting interactions and made color-hate something to build around instead of padding for your deck.

>I immediately win the game
>Painter's servant is the easiest type of card to remove in the game, as a 1/3 artifact creature
>Combo can only kill one player per turn, giving everyone else significant time to dig.
>Still can't kill anyone with a blightsteel, darksteel, gaeas blessing, kozilek, or ulamog in their deck. You know, some of the most popular creatures in Timmy: the format.
>Meanwhile any real combo player is killing everyone simultaneously with more efficient, less fragile combos.

You are literally terrible at the game if you think grindstone/servant would be relevant.

So instead of banning one card that turns several otherwise-fair cards into busted ass combos, we ban all the cards it combos with, leaving it nearly worthlessly unplayable anyway.

Wow, you're right! That is way better for variety and format health.

>and everyone came
this guy really likes war

Because every deck plays every single instant kill combo in its colors right?

Shut the fuck up retard, you don't k ow what you're talking about. If it worked like you say it does, every five color deck would consist of nothing but 2 card combos.

It's not THE most broken thing in the format but is broken shit nonetheless. In the end don't use it unless you want to pass as the tryhard that shoves all the fucking possible combos and tutors in his commander's color, it's gonna get old really fast.

For like the fifth fucking time, I'm not saying it's some busted, unfair, broken, OP unbeatable combo

I'm saying I don't like the idea of literally every deck being able to just win out of nowhere. Imagine if every deck had access to Splinter Twin- that it was possible for them to just go "End of turn, this guy, and then on my turn I win", in any colors. Yeah, it can be disrupted with removal or counters. Yeah, it can be disrupted with specific hate cards. Yeah, it can be beaten by tryhard decks like Food Chain Tazri. But that doesn't stop it from being shitty that you would constantly have that axe looming overhead against every single fucking deck.

Every color combo already has "I win" combos. I don't see how a colorless one would be problematic.

Every color can already win out of nowhere you sweet, ignorant, child.

One of these days I will get off a World Gorger Dragon into Obliterate and it will be glorious.

Iona is only fair if hardcasted which hardly ever happens. We're talking about banning two cards that are insta-win with Painter's servant and useless/frustrating in a bad, fun-killing way to play otherwise.
>leaving it nearly worthlessly unplayable anyway
Yeah except for protection, Jaya, Llawan, 8½, color hate... and that's actually it, and yet it encompasses easily about 50 EDH-viable cards at the very least. Even hardcore jank like Purraj of Urborg would be much less painful to build with a servant available.

What are some ways to guard against graveyard hate?
I play an artifact deck,and nothing makes me sadder than when it's all exiled from my graveyard.